PDA

View Full Version : Daboll being aggressive - I know McDermott won't make the same call

ghz in pittsburgh
09-12-2022, 02:14 AM
This is not the Bengels case where you have questions on kicker/holder/long snapper. Since it works, Daboll will be lauded as a genius. But I do question it though. It is not close to the end of the game. There is a minute and 6 seconds left. You know they are going to try to drive down for a field goal. So the key is to stop their drive. Otherwise, extra point or 2 pt conversion means nothing.

With that background, if you fail the 2 point conversion, losing is almost a sure thing. if you make the 2 point conversion, every down for the other team is 4 down territory - one additional stop is needed. If you just kick the extra point, they will try to get into field goal range but might be less aggressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6msUEbNv0Ac

Goobylal
09-12-2022, 02:29 AM
What are you talking about? Remember last year when they went for the TD instead of kicking the game-tying FG?

Cali512
09-12-2022, 02:36 AM
This is what happens when a coach is trying to build a culture and is desperate for a win

McD did the same thing against the same team last year wtf, and daboll is the one who decided to let Allen sneak when everyone knew we were vs one of the best DTs in the nfl

Its amazing how many different ways your wrong about this

ghz in pittsburgh
09-12-2022, 02:53 AM
Last year it was 22 seconds left for that 4th down play where Allen slipped. That's far different from 1:06 minutes left and we would be up by 4 points had we scored a TD.

sukie
09-12-2022, 03:01 AM
1:06 is a tad over five 13 second intervals. Think about that. Daboll can look down and get a sliver glimpse of his sack.
(like the sun just peaking over the horizon of the earth in those satellite shots)

Ingtar33
09-12-2022, 03:07 AM
why does this have to be about mcd?

mcd has been plenty aggressive throughout his time in buffalo.

Goobylal
09-12-2022, 03:12 AM
Last year it was 22 seconds left for that 4th down play where Allen slipped. That's far different from 1:06 minutes left and we would be up by 4 points had we scored a TD.

What's different? Instead of playing for the tie, they went for it. The Giants succeeded, the Bills didn't.

Cali512
09-12-2022, 03:19 AM
What's different? Instead of playing for the tie, they went for it. The Giants succeeded, the Bills didn't.

You can argue Dabolls playcall cost us the game also, like wtf

Forward_Lateral
09-12-2022, 04:31 AM
THis has zero to do with the Bills

Woodman
09-12-2022, 04:48 AM
THis has zero to do with the Bills
It's a loss to the team that had the 1 seed in the AFC so it's pretty important as far as that goes.

notacon
09-12-2022, 06:14 AM
I’m happy for Daboll in his inaugural game being a HC with a HUGE win against a tough opponent, on the road.

He is saddled with a pretty bad team, with a questionable QB in a brutal media market of NYC that is hungry for something to cheer about.

I wish Daboll all the success in the world (except whenever the Bills play the Giants). He was a huge part in the development of Josh Allen....and brought a vision to the Bills offense that made it one of the more exciting teams to watch.

And he helped the Bills immensely by hanging a loss on an AFC contender.

MikeInRoch
09-12-2022, 07:10 AM
I enjoy aggressive playcalling a ton - but I don't think this is the correct call with over a minute left. 30 seconds left, I love it. 1 minute is too much time.

YardRat
09-12-2022, 07:26 AM
I enjoy aggressive playcalling a ton - but I don't think this is the correct call with over a minute left. 30 seconds left, I love it. 1 minute is too much time.

He didn't make the call based on winning or losing this specific game, he made the call to help establish a mindset, an attitude, and keep a commitment he made to the team. He told them he wasn't going to coach scared and when presented with the ultimate opportunity, he didn't.

Win or lose it was absolutely the right call to go for it, and at this point for that team just making the call is far more important than the result of the game.

Albany,n.y.
09-12-2022, 11:09 AM
It puts a lot more pressure on a kicker whose kick decides a win or a loss rather than a win or OT. There's a lot more to lose if he misses the kick & he knows it. Either way if the opposing kicker makes the kick, you lose. Might as well tighten him up. Also if you miss the 2 points, you can still try an onside kick. Maybe the Giants saw something in the film that made them think they could recover an onside kick.

Goobylal
09-12-2022, 11:45 AM
I was talking with a Giants fan and he said that there was an issue with the kicker. I said to him "also, (Daboll) has nothing to lose. They're not going to fire him after one season. Oh and BTW, Daniel Jones sucks and you guys need to find a new QB." He agreed with me.

Mace
09-12-2022, 01:30 PM
I'm still interested in watching Daboll as an HC to see where the line between he and McDermott was. I suspect McDermott directed him here. Can't know that for sure, but will see how it develops. The Giants are not the Bills, but Daboll won over his team with a display of big brass balls. As Mr. Yardrat mentioned, it was a statement and and a moment.

He ranked on his QB after a bad play, told him he'd have another shot, then gave him another shot. He gave both his offense and defense his confidence, and went for broke. It was awesome.

I can't see any reason for a grudge with Daboll for being the coach of a retooling Giants team and being successfully ballsy. It's stupid. Waaaaah, but he left us !!! Get a grip, welcome to life. Come on. Credit where credit is due.

Turf
09-12-2022, 02:00 PM
It was a reckless call for a desperate franchise and he had the option to do it with nothing at stake.

Goobylal
09-12-2022, 03:29 PM
I'm still interested in watching Daboll as an HC to see where the line between he and McDermott was. I suspect McDermott directed him here. Can't know that for sure, but will see how it develops. The Giants are not the Bills, but Daboll won over his team with a display of big brass balls. As Mr. Yardrat mentioned, it was a statement and and a moment.

He ranked on his QB after a bad play, told him he'd have another shot, then gave him another shot. He gave both his offense and defense his confidence, and went for broke. It was awesome.

I can't see any reason for a grudge with Daboll for being the coach of a retooling Giants team and being successfully ballsy. It's stupid. Waaaaah, but he left us !!! Get a grip, welcome to life. Come on. Credit where credit is due.

Huh? He left because he got a promotion. No one hates him for taking a HC'ing job. And Dorsey is better anyway.

And it's all rosy this week for the Giants. But there are 16 more games to play. I'll bet they don't finish with a winning record and that's because they lack talent, not necessarily because of Daboll. There is only so much he can do with the QB position.

swiper
09-12-2022, 11:08 PM
I was talking with a Giants fan and he said that there was an issue with the kicker. I said to him "also, (Daboll) has nothing to lose. They're not going to fire him after one season. Oh and BTW, Daniel Jones sucks and you guys need to find a new QB." He agreed with me.

It's rather amazing that Jones ran 6 times and didn't get killed. What's good for Daboll is that Saquon Barkley ran like he was expected too. He's much better than any RB Daboll ever had in Buffalo.

GreedoII
09-13-2022, 12:30 AM
This is not the Bengels case where you have questions on kicker/holder/long snapper. Since it works, Daboll will be lauded as a genius. But I do question it though. It is not close to the end of the game. There is a minute and 6 seconds left. You know they are going to try to drive down for a field goal. So the key is to stop their drive. Otherwise, extra point or 2 pt conversion means nothing.

With that background, if you fail the 2 point conversion, losing is almost a sure thing. if you make the 2 point conversion, every down for the other team is 4 down territory - one additional stop is needed. If you just kick the extra point, they will try to get into field goal range but might be less aggressive.

Daboll kicks it 16 out of 17 weeks. He kicks it in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. It's week 1 and the Giants have nothing to lose. So why not.

Night Train
09-13-2022, 12:55 AM
It was a reckless call for a desperate franchise and he had the option to do it with nothing at stake.

Agreed. Even if it failed, it sends a message to his locker room that he believes in them. He's trying to galvanize his roster.

He had nothing to lose with a teams that is widely viewed as having bottom 3 talent, at present. What a horrid loss for the Titans.

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2022, 01:48 AM
It's easy to have nuts the size of grapefruits when your fanbase has zero expectations of your dumpster fire organization.

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 01:59 AM
McD has chickened out in crunch time repeatedly during his time here.

Daboll noticed and from Thursday night's game, hopefully McD has learned his lesson too.

A faint heart never won the fair maiden.

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2022, 03:05 AM
McD has chickened out in crunch time repeatedly during his time here.

Daboll noticed and from Thursday night's game, hopefully McD has learned his lesson too.

A faint heart never won the fair maiden.
Name the occasions where McDermott has chickened out.

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 03:55 AM
Name the occasions where McDermott has chickened out.

Last year vs Tennessee was the latest example.

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2022, 03:57 AM
Last year vs Tennessee was the latest example.
How on earth did he chicken out?

He did the exact opposite

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 04:31 AM
How on earth did he chicken out?

He did the exact opposite

He chickened out with the play call.

You've got the most talented qb in the league and the coach tells him to take the snap and run into a ton plus of meat on a slippery field.

That's chickening out.

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 04:35 AM
why does this have to be about mcd?

mcd has been plenty aggressive throughout his time in buffalo.

He's aggressive when he's winning.

When the pressure's on he chickens out.

sukie
09-13-2022, 04:37 AM

You've got the most talented qb in the league and the coach tells him to take the snap and run into a ton plus of meat on a slippery field.

That's chickening out.
Kinda agree with this. It was 4th and 1. So you get the first with 17 seconds left and no time outs… then a spike with what… another sneak?

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 04:50 AM
Kinda agree with this. It was 4th and 1. So you get the first with 17 seconds left and no time outs… then a spike with what… another sneak?

There's dozens of other plays to call.

The key factor was the field. It was muddy and slippery where they spotted the ball. Josh slipped as he charged into the line. Game over.

Fake a handoff, roll right on the non slippery part of the field with the option to keep it or pass and you score every time.

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 04:52 AM
Winners play to win, they don't play not to lose while covering their asses with conventional wisdom.

Night Train
09-13-2022, 04:55 AM
Bills were 7-6 last season and looking lost when McDermott demanded the Bills run the ball more. They won their last 4 games with Singletary scoring 6 TD's in that span.

Daboll may have learned that lesson Sunday since he fed his star RB the ball, which is against his previous disdain for the running game. Might be evolving.

Goobylal
09-13-2022, 04:59 AM
It's rather amazing that Jones ran 6 times and didn't get killed. What's good for Daboll is that Saquon Barkley ran like he was expected too. He's much better than any RB Daboll ever had in Buffalo.

Yeah but he's got a far worse QB, and that's the more important piece. And Saquon will have to prove he can not only stay healthy but productive.

Daboll kicks it 16 out of 17 weeks. He kicks it in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. It's week 1 and the Giants have nothing to lose. So why not.

No, I think he'll do the same in any road game this year. Because he knows he's not getting fired after 1 season.

That's chickening out.

Bull****. Josh is a master with the QB sneak. It should have been an easy TD but Dawkins got blown up. Don't mistake a play failing for being chicken.

notacon
09-13-2022, 05:26 AM
Compare two new NFL head coaches this year in their first game.

Brian Daboll makes a gutsy call and shows trust in both his offense to make a 2 point conversion and his defense to stop the Titans with one minute left in the game....showing that trust in asking defensive players if they had a problem with the call....against a superior team.

Nathaniel Hackett commits head coaching malpractice with his total butchery of the last minute of the game well within their reach against a lesser opponent.

Denver paid a quarter of a BILLION to get one of the most clutch QB’s, who’s specialty is the situation they found themeless in. One point behind....one minute left....on the SEA 46 yard line....4th down and five yards to go....three time outs left....

The offense is left on the field, and Hackett lets the clock grind down 40 ****ing seconds and finally calls a TO with 20 sec left.....and then sends out the FG unit for an extremely unlikely 64 yard FG?!?!?!? Even in thin air Denver that would be a tough kick....in Seattle, near sea level it is very, very difficult....maybe a 5% chance of making it.

You have Russel Wilson on your team, specifically for this exact situation, and you take the ****ing ball out of his hands?!?!?!? If it was Dry Lock, it would make some sense. But this was simply terrible, terrible, terrible coaching.

In comparison, Daboll is a football god....Hackett is a chicken**** coward.

Goobylal
09-13-2022, 05:32 AM
Compare two new NFL head coaches this year in their first game.

Brian Daboll makes a gutsy call and shows trust in both his offense to make a 2 point conversion and his defense to stop the Titans with one minute left in the game....showing that trust in asking defensive players if they had a problem with the call....against a superior team.

Nathaniel Hackett commits head coaching malpractice with his total butchery of the last minute of the game well within their reach against a lesser opponent.

Denver paid a quarter of a BILLION to get one of the most clutch QB’s, who’s specialty is the situation they found themeless in. One point behind....one minute left....on the SEA 46 yard line....4th down and five yards to go....three time outs left....

The offense is left on the field, and Hackett lets the clock grind down 40 ****ing seconds and finally calls a TO with 20 sec left.....and then sends out the FG unit for an extremely unlikely 64 yard FG?!?!?!? Even in thin air Denver that would be a tough kick....in Seattle, near sea level it is very, very difficult....maybe a 5% chance of making it.

You have Russel Wilson on your team, specifically for this exact situation, and you take the ****ing ball out of his hands?!?!?!? If it was Dry Lock, it would make some sense. But this was simply terrible, terrible, terrible coaching.

In comparison, Daboll is a football god....Hackett is a chicken**** coward.

I don't know. McManus got a practice kick and then just barely missed the 2nd one to the left. He makes that, no one says anything.

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2022, 06:05 AM
He's aggressive when he's winning.

When the pressure's on he chickens out.
He didn't call the plays.

So. Daboll chickened out.

- - - Updated - - -

Bills were 7-6 last season and looking lost when McDermott demanded the Bills run the ball more. They won their last 4 games with Singletary scoring 6 TD's in that span.

Daboll may have learned that lesson Sunday since he fed his star RB the ball, which is against his previous disdain for the running game. Might be evolving.
And if the Bills had Saquon, they'd have run the ball more too.

notacon
09-13-2022, 06:05 AM
I don't know. McManus got a practice kick and then just barely missed the 2nd one to the left. He makes that, no one says anything.
I disagree. He butchered the end of that game. Smart coaches give the ball to your best player...especially when that player is on the team (for $250M) for this EXACT scenario.

Jimkelly12203
09-13-2022, 06:32 AM
The Giants are easily my second favorite team. In fact, there are only five types of teams in this league.

The ones i love - the Bills
The ones i like - packers, giants, seahawks
The ones hate more than Satan/Aids/Nazis/Covid/MAGA - Patriots
The ones i strongly dislike - Cowpies, Chiefs, Fish
The ones i'm indifferent to - everyone else.

I'm excited for the G-men's future. Buffalo S. NY.

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 06:40 AM
Bull****. Josh is a master with the QB sneak. It should have been an easy TD but Dawkins got blown up. Don't mistake a play failing for being chicken.

The line got blown up for the same reason Josh slipped. The footing in that particular part of the field was terrible. An extra variable.

Watch the play. All 11 defenders sold out on the sneak. Why? Because the Tennessee coach knew who he was coaching against and bet he'd go with the one play a coach can always hide behind. A qb sneak. The conservative CHICKEN****call.

Josh fakes a handoff and he can walk into the endzone.

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 06:42 AM
Oh, and anyone that thinks McD didn't make that playcall is an idiot.

Goobylal
09-13-2022, 06:45 AM
I disagree. He butchered the end of that game. Smart coaches give the ball to your best player...especially when that player is on the team (for $250M) for this EXACT scenario.

Russell looked like crap last night. If that's his best, they're going to be a very bad team.

The line got blown up for the same reason Josh slipped. The footing in that particular part of the field was terrible. An extra variable.

Watch the play. All 11 defenders sold out on the sneak. Why? Because the Tennessee coach knew who he was coaching against and bet he'd go with the one play a coach can always hide behind. A qb sneak. The conservative CHICKEN****call.

Josh fakes a handoff and he can walk into the endzone.

No, Josh got stopped because Dawkins, who was still recovering from COVID, got pushed back by Simmons into him. But the call was the right one. I have no idea why Josh didn't just jump over the line.

notacon
09-13-2022, 06:56 AM
Russell looked like crap last night. If that's his best, they're going to be a very bad team.

It’s a first game illusion. Aaron Rodgers and Joe Burrow looked like crap too. So did Dak Prescott, Derek Carr and Matt Stafford.

I expect all of those teams (except Dallas...they suck with Dak....they just really, really suck without him) will NOT be “very bad teams” in 2022.

sukie
09-13-2022, 07:06 AM

No, Josh got stopped because Dawkins, who was still recovering from COVID, got pushed back by Simmons into him. But the call was the right one. I have no idea why Josh didn't just jump over the line.

4th and 1 from the 2 with no time outs so you sneak AT Simmons and it’s the right call? He wasn’t getting 2 yards on that play.

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Oh, and anyone that thinks McD didn't make that playcall is an idiot.
Anyone who thinks he did, is.

Goobylal
09-13-2022, 07:12 AM
4th and 1 from the 2 with no time outs so you sneak AT Simmons and it’s the right call? He wasn’t getting 2 yards on that play.

He just needed 1/2 a yard (personally I thought he got the 1st down the play before). The problem was execution, not the play call.

sukie
09-13-2022, 10:42 AM
He just needed 1/2 a yard (personally I thought he got the 1st down the play before). The problem was execution, not the play call.
Still 1/2 a yard for a first with no time outs. You get the first and then what? Spike it with 13 seconds? Then pass?

1/2 a yard earlier passing not the call but now with a yard to go you have to pass… should have thrown on 4th

CommissarSpartacus
09-13-2022, 11:00 AM
Still 1/2 a yard for a first with no time outs. You get the first and then what? Spike it with 13 seconds? Then pass?

1/2 a yard earlier passing not the call but now with a yard to go you have to pass… should have thrown on 4th

You fake a handoff to the running back who dives into the 11 man pile up, roll to the right, the tight end releases and runs to the right so you either run either run into the end zone yourself or flip it to the tight end.

Simple.

Goobylal
09-13-2022, 11:15 AM

The Bills had all 3 of their time outs remaining.

Cali512
09-13-2022, 11:17 AM
Anyone who thinks he did, is.

If Mcdermott made that playcall, then thats the first offensive playcall mcdermotts made in his career lmao

Daboll had full control of the offense, to think Mcdermott randomly at that moment over ruled him is the dumbest think ive heard someone say on this site

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2022, 11:25 AM
If Mcdermott made that playcall, then thats the first offensive playcall mcdermotts made in his career lmao

Daboll had full control of the offense, to think Mcdermott randomly at that moment over ruled him is the dumbest think ive heard someone say on this site

We finally agree on something

Cali512
09-13-2022, 11:30 AM
We finally agree on something

Im not hear to be right, im hear to have interesting conversations about my impulsive opinions

Woodman
09-13-2022, 02:29 PM

I predict they get 4th place in the division.

Goobylal
09-13-2022, 02:30 PM
I predict they get 4th place in the division.

That's a given. The real question is "how bad will their record be?"

Woodman
09-13-2022, 02:32 PM
You fake a handoff to the running back who dives into the 11 man pile up, roll to the right, the tight end releases and runs to the right so you either run into the end zone yourself or flip it to the tight end.

Simple.

It works every time. :cheers:

sukie
09-13-2022, 10:37 PM
The Bills had all 3 of their time outs remaining.

I was wrong. 1 time out remained as Josh slipped

YardRat
09-13-2022, 11:23 PM
It was a really bad play call by whoever, but it was ballsy going for the win and not playing for OT with a chip shot field goal. McD does pucker up on occassion, but last year's Titans game isn't one of them.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 12:32 AM

Ridiculous.

McDermott is the HEAD COACH. Daboll was the Offensive COORDINATOR, not the Offensive Dictator.

The HEAD COACH can decide whatever play to run whenever the **** he wants.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 12:38 AM
It was a really bad play call by whoever, but it was ballsy going for the win and not playing for OT with a chip shot field goal. McD does pucker up on occassion, but last year's Titans game isn't one of them.

I had no problem going for the win.

I had a problem with the playcall.

It required no guts and no imagination.

It was a cover your ass decision.

Woodman
09-14-2022, 02:23 AM
That's a given. The real question is "how bad will their record be?"
7-10 :idunno:

notacon
09-14-2022, 05:52 AM
The Giants are easily my second favorite team. In fact, there are only five types of teams in this league.

The ones i love - the Bills
The ones i like - packers, giants, seahawks
The ones hate more than Satan/Aids/Nazis/Covid/MAGA - Patriots
The ones i strongly dislike - Cowpies, Chiefs, Fish
The ones i'm indifferent to - everyone else.

I'm excited for the G-men's future. Buffalo S. NY.

Great list, and I’m on board.

Except, I would add Miami to the "The ones hate more than Satan/Aids/Nazis/Covid/MAGA”. I remember the decade of losing games the the Fish. And the only reason that Miami is is the AFC East is because of the history of Bills fans hating on Miami.

Miami being in THE ****hole state, just adds to the hatred. If Florida broke off the country and floated away in the Atlantic, far, far away, I’d be cheering!!!

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 06:03 AM
I was wrong. 1 time out remained as Josh slipped

I looked and didn't see any timeouts taken. But 1 is still enough. And he didn't slip.

Ridiculous.

McDermott is the HEAD COACH. Daboll was the Offensive COORDINATOR, not the Offensive Dictator.

The HEAD COACH can decide whatever play to run whenever the **** he wants.

He doesn't decide what offensive play to run. Daboll does and McDermott will either approve it or tell him to get another one. But I doubt the later ever happened much, much less at that time.

It was a fine play call. The execution was lacking.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 06:15 AM
He doesn't decide what offensive play to run. Daboll does and McDermott will either approve it or tell him to get another one. But I doubt the later ever happened much, much less at that time.

1. Where the **** have you been watching football and how drunk were you? The HEAD COACH is the boss. Always has been. If he wants to call a certain play ANY TIME during the game, in any situation, that is his right AND his responsibility.

2. It was a chicken play call. Too bad the mud didn't cooperate.

notacon
09-14-2022, 06:15 AM

The more I thought about this, the more absurd it is.

Russel Wilson had a GREAT game. He was far, far, far from “look(ing) like crap”. He had Denver in the position to win several times. It’s not his fault that his RB's fumbled TWICE on the 1 yard line and he has to suffer through the **** ups of a rookie HC. Hackett barely had the team ready to play....with 12 bone headed penalties. THAT is on the HC.

Wilson's stat line was stellar....

29/42 (69%), 340 yards, 8.1 Avg per attempt, 1 TD, 0 INT, 101.3 passer rating.

That placed him in the top 10 of all QB’s (for the first game) in yards (#3), completion percentage (#10), Avg. yards per attempt (#8) and passer rating (#10).

By any reasonable measure, that is NOT “look(ing) like crap"

With Wilson’s history of clutch QB play, if the rookie HC took his head out of his butt and put the ball in the hands of his best player (like he is smartly admitting now), instead of ****ing up the end of the game, Denver most likely wins. MUCH better chance of wining than a stupid 64 yard FG attempt.

The team that is going to probably be a “very bad them” this year is SEATTLE, not Denver.

Smith played his ass off. But, that won’t last. Seattle is playing for a high draft pick, and has all the draft capital to select their franchise QB of the future. I suspect that they will have a top 10 pick just on their record alone.

They also go into 2023 with THREE 1st round picks (their own) and #26 & #32. The consensus is that they will probably pick Bryce Young.

I suspect that Seattle ends up in last place in the NFC West. And Denver, being in the toughest divison in the NFL, makes the playoffs (or just barely misses).

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 06:39 AM
https://wyrk.com/sean-mcdermott-players-coaches/

FRICTION BETWEEN SEAN MCDERMOTT AND BILLS COACHES AND PLAYERS?

Chris Owen
Published: March 4, 2022

Buffalo Bills fans have a lot going for them these days, after 17 years of what seemed like consistent bad luck and no hope.

They have one of the two or three best quarterbacks in the entire NFL and the Bills have won the AFC East in back-to-back seasons, with a postseason appearance in three of the past four.

However, because of the way the season ended, fans are left with a bitter taste in their mouths and it all stems from the decisions made by head coach Sean McDermott and the coaching staff.

The Bills decided to kick the ball through the back of the end zone against the Kansas City Chiefs, with 13 seasons left. The Chiefs had all three timeouts, but only needed a field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime.

The Chiefs then took the ball and with two passes, went 50 yards down the field and kicked the game-tying field goal.

The lost in overtime.

Fans and analysts alike were left wondering why McDermott decided to play the defense he did, leaving his defenders so far off the Chiefs receivers, and giving them that much space; not to mention the kickoff.

Buffalo Bills fans have a lot going for them these days, after 17 years of what seemed like consistent bad luck and no hope.

They have one of the two or three best quarterbacks in the entire NFL and the Bills have won the AFC East in back-to-back seasons, with a postseason appearance in three of the past four.

However, because of the way the season ended, fans are left with a bitter taste in their mouths and it all stems from the decisions made by head coach Sean McDermott and the coaching staff.

The Bills decided to kick the ball through the back of the end zone against the Kansas City Chiefs, with 13 seasons left. The Chiefs had all three timeouts, but only needed a field goal to tie the game and send it to overtime.

The Chiefs then took the ball and with two passes, went 50 yards down the field and kicked the game-tying field goal.

The lost in overtime.

Fans and analysts alike were left wondering why McDermott decided to play the defense he did, leaving his defenders so far off the Chiefs receivers, and giving them that much space; not to mention the kickoff.

McDermott has been asked several times since the end of the AFC Divisional round to explain what went down behind the scenes with those final 13 seconds, but has not given fans an explanation, just saying they need to execute better from the top down.

Tyler Dunne of Go Long TD Dot Com, wrote a lengthy piece that quotes multiple anonymous players from thee Bills, who had the same exact frustrations that fans had, in regards to head coach Sean McDermott.

One player mentioned the fact McDermott preaches accountability, but doesn't practice it -- in regards to the final 13 seconds against the Chiefs.

It's a bit disturbing to see players have those thoughts, but I don't blame them at all, because fans have had the same questions and want answers.

Then, Josh Reed of WIVB reported that he talked with some NFL coaching assistants and college coaches, and they all believe there is friction between McDermott and some of the Bills coaching staff.

Most added that it isn't that unusual.

For the record, I don't believe McDermott's job is at question, even if the 2022 season doesn't live up to Super Bowl expectations.

But all of this proves that there were mistakes made in those final 13 seconds and it seems coaches and players want accountability from McDermott, just like fans do.

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 09:35 AM
1. Where the **** have you been watching football and how drunk were you? The HEAD COACH is the boss. Always has been. If he wants to call a certain play ANY TIME during the game, in any situation, that is his right AND his responsibility.

2. It was a chicken play call. Too bad the mud didn't cooperate.

Get it through your head that McDermott DOES NOT MAKE THE OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLS! Hell he probably doesn't even make the defensive play calls in the vast majority of games. And also for the last time, it was the right play call. Josh QB sneaking on 4th and less than a yard is always the way to go and the execution is what lost it for them, namely Dawkins getting pushed-back into Josh.

The more I thought about this, the more absurd it is.

Russel Wilson had a GREAT game. He was far, far, far from “look(ing) like crap”. He had Denver in the position to win several times. It’s not his fault that his RB's fumbled TWICE on the 1 yard line and he has to suffer through the **** ups of a rookie HC. Hackett barely had the team ready to play....with 12 bone headed penalties. THAT is on the HC.

Wilson's stat line was stellar....

29/42 (69%), 340 yards, 8.1 Avg per attempt, 1 TD, 0 INT, 101.3 passer rating.

That placed him in the top 10 of all QB’s (for the first game) in yards (#3), completion percentage (#10), Avg. yards per attempt (#8) and passer rating (#10).

By any reasonable measure, that is NOT “look(ing) like crap"

With Wilson’s history of clutch QB play, if the rookie HC took his head out of his butt and put the ball in the hands of his best player (like he is smartly admitting now), instead of ****ing up the end of the game, Denver most likely wins. MUCH better chance of wining than a stupid 64 yard FG attempt.

The team that is going to probably be a “very bad them” this year is SEATTLE, not Denver.

Smith played his ass off. But, that won’t last. Seattle is playing for a high draft pick, and has all the draft capital to select their franchise QB of the future. I suspect that they will have a top 10 pick just on their record alone.

They also go into 2023 with THREE 1st round picks (their own) and #26 & #32. The consensus is that they will probably pick Bryce Young.

I suspect that Seattle ends up in last place in the NFC West. And Denver, being in the toughest divison in the NFL, makes the playoffs (or just barely misses).

OK, maybe "crap" is being a bit harsh. I just see them not being that good this year despite adding him, and then having to surrender their 1st rounders in the next 2 drafts.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 09:58 AM
Get it through your head that McDermott DOES NOT MAKE THE OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLS!

Again you twit, I didn't say he makes the play CALLS, but he can make A play call whenever he wants to.

Here. From 2018...

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/277514/finding-the-next-sean-mcvay-head-coaches-who-call-offensive-plays

Finding the next Sean McVay: Head coaches who call offensive plays

Jul 12, 2018
Eric D. Williams
ESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Anthony Lynn got his first taste of calling plays while serving as the offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills in 2016. And Lynn wasn't sure he wanted to give it up.

Hired as the head coach of the Los Angeles Chargers in January of last year, Lynn debated whether to continue to call plays. Ultimately, Lynn decided an experienced playcaller in Ken Whisenhunt was a better alternative.

With defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and special-teams coordinator George Stewart also part of his coaching staff, Lynn could operate as the CEO on the field.

"I was brought here to lead," Lynn said about his decision. "I was brought here to carry out a vision and help everyone, not just the offense."

However, other offensive coordinators have taken a much different tack.

The Oakland Raiders and Chicago Bears hired offensive-minded coaches in Jon Gruden and Matt Nagy this offseason, following a successful blueprint the Los Angeles Rams and the San Francisco 49ers used in 2017 when they hired Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan.

HEAD COACH + PLAY CALLER
Heading into the 2018 season, 14 of the 32 head coaches will also serve as the playcallers on offense:

TEAM COACH
Bears Matt Nagy
Packers Mike McCarthy
Texans Bill O'Brien
Colts Frank Reich
Chiefs Andy Reid
Rams Sean McVay
Dolphins Adam Gase
Saints Sean Payton
Giants Pat Shurmur
Raiders Jon Gruden
Eagles Doug Pederson
49ers Kyle Shanahan
Buccaneers Dirk Koetter
Redskins Jay Gruden

Of the seven new head coaches hired in the NFL this offseason, four of them are former offensive coordinators who will call their own plays in 2018. That increased the number of head coaches who will call their own plays to 14 out of 32 -- nearly half the league. According to ESPN Insider Mike Sando, that number is the most head coaches who have also served as offensive playcallers in the NFL going back at least a decade.

...more...

Sorry, but every single head coach in the league can call the play ANY TIME HE WANTS.

Now, unless you were standing next to McDermott discussing what to do and heard him say "I sure hope Brian calls a play that works!", then you have absolutely no reason to insist McD didn't make the call.

Were you there, holding a water bottle and eavesdropping on the brain trust?

Or do you realize you sound like an idiot and are now trying to bluster your way out of it?

Woodman
09-14-2022, 10:03 AM
You're coaching the NYGiants be aggressive.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 10:25 AM

Gee, why call plays like that when you just could have run a quarterback sneak?

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 11:09 AM
Again you twit, I didn't say he makes the play CALLS, but he can make A play call whenever he wants to.

Here. From 2018...

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/277514/finding-the-next-sean-mcvay-head-coaches-who-call-offensive-plays

Finding the next Sean McVay: Head coaches who call offensive plays

Jul 12, 2018
Eric D. Williams
ESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Anthony Lynn got his first taste of calling plays while serving as the offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills in 2016. And Lynn wasn't sure he wanted to give it up.

Hired as the head coach of the Los Angeles Chargers in January of last year, Lynn debated whether to continue to call plays. Ultimately, Lynn decided an experienced playcaller in Ken Whisenhunt was a better alternative.

With defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and special-teams coordinator George Stewart also part of his coaching staff, Lynn could operate as the CEO on the field.

"I was brought here to lead," Lynn said about his decision. "I was brought here to carry out a vision and help everyone, not just the offense."

However, other offensive coordinators have taken a much different tack.

The Oakland Raiders and Chicago Bears hired offensive-minded coaches in Jon Gruden and Matt Nagy this offseason, following a successful blueprint the Los Angeles Rams and the San Francisco 49ers used in 2017 when they hired Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan.

HEAD COACH + PLAY CALLER
Heading into the 2018 season, 14 of the 32 head coaches will also serve as the playcallers on offense:

TEAM COACH
Bears Matt Nagy
Packers Mike McCarthy
Texans Bill O'Brien
Colts Frank Reich
Chiefs Andy Reid
Rams Sean McVay
Dolphins Adam Gase
Saints Sean Payton
Giants Pat Shurmur
Raiders Jon Gruden
Eagles Doug Pederson
49ers Kyle Shanahan
Buccaneers Dirk Koetter
Redskins Jay Gruden

Of the seven new head coaches hired in the NFL this offseason, four of them are former offensive coordinators who will call their own plays in 2018. That increased the number of head coaches who will call their own plays to 14 out of 32 -- nearly half the league. According to ESPN Insider Mike Sando, that number is the most head coaches who have also served as offensive playcallers in the NFL going back at least a decade.

...more...

Sorry, but every single head coach in the league can call the play ANY TIME HE WANTS.

Now, unless you were standing next to McDermott discussing what to do and heard him say "I sure hope Brian calls a play that works!", then you have absolutely no reason to insist McD didn't make the call.

Were you there, holding a water bottle and eavesdropping on the brain trust?

Or do you realize you sound like an idiot and are now trying to bluster your way out of it?

LOL! Hey genius, tell me which one of those head coaches you listed is a defensive-minded coach? What's that mumbling? Speak up, I can't hear you! That's right, none of them.

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they do it. So unless you were standing next to McDermott discussing what to do, he left the offensive play calling duties to the offensive coordinator.

And again, for the last time, it was a fine call. They put the ball and game into the hands of their best player. But as usually happens when a play fails, it's the execution, not the play call itself.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 11:19 AM
LOL! Hey genius, tell me which one of those head coaches you listed is a defensive-minded coach? What's that mumbling? Speak up, I can't hear you! That's right, none of them.

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they do it. So unless you were standing next to McDermott discussing what to do, he left the offensive play calling duties to the offensive coordinator.

And again, for the last time, it was a fine call. They put the ball and game into the hands of their best player. But as usually happens when a play fails, it's the execution, not the play call itself.

1. So what?

2. Thank you for admitting you have absolutely no reason to insist McD washed his hands of the responsibility to make the decision.

3. The execution failed because of the mud and its easier to resist a push on a slippery surface, as we saw. It was a dumb call, a chicken call, by someone looking for an excuse in the event of failure.

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 12:02 PM
1. So what?

2. Thank you for admitting you have absolutely no reason to insist McD washed his hands of the responsibility to make the decision.

3. The execution failed because of the mud and its easier to resist a push on a slippery surface, as we saw. It was a dumb call, a chicken call, by someone looking for an excuse in the event of failure.

So what? LOL! Thanks for proving you don't know WTF you're talking about. Show me a defensive-minded head coach who calls plays on offense. Just one.

And no, Josh didn't slip, much less because of the surface (it wasn't raining that game). It was because Simmons blew-up Dawkins, who got pushed back into Josh. Go look at the clip of the play.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 12:40 PM
So what? LOL! Thanks for proving you don't know WTF you're talking about. Show me a defensive-minded head coach who calls plays on offense. Just one.

And no, Josh didn't slip, much less because of the surface (it wasn't raining that game). It was because Simmons blew-up Dawkins, who got pushed back into Josh. Go look at the clip of the play.

1.Now you're intentionally misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying defensive expert head coaches call PLAYS (plural) but I guarantee you they all reserve the right to do so if they feel is necessary.

2. Post the clip.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 12:45 PM
"Josh Allen slips down!" - play by play announcer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0pAAhYMDaTs

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 12:47 PM
1.Now you're intentionally misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying defensive expert head coaches call PLAYS (plural) but I guarantee you they all reserve the right to do so if they feel is necessary.

2. Post the clip.

No I know exactly what you're saying. So what if he reserves the right to call plays? He doesn't unless you have proof he does.

And here it is:

https://youtu.be/-HJeSs2XquQ?t=735

And I was wrong, it wasn't 4th and half a foot, it was 4th and inches (they screwed the Bills on the spot as Josh got the 1st down the play earlier)

YardRat
09-14-2022, 12:47 PM
I looked and didn't see any timeouts taken. But 1 is still enough. And he didn't slip.

Nah, I'll stick with it was a horrible play call.

You have the most dangerous weapon in the league at your disposal and you call a play that completely neuters his abilities to turn him into a fullback.

Horrible call.

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 01:02 PM
Nah, I'll stick with it was a horrible play call.

You have the most dangerous weapon in the league at your disposal and you call a play that completely neuters his abilities to turn him into a fullback.

Horrible call.

How many times have you seen him convert short yardage like that? Sneak is what ever team calls and most usually get it if blocked properly. Again it was a great play by Simmons and terrible blocking by Dawkins.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 01:23 PM
No I know exactly what you're saying. So what if he reserves the right to call plays? He doesn't unless you have proof he does.

And here it is:

https://youtu.be/-HJeSs2XquQ?t=735

:rofl:

Did you watch it?

See Josh slip, just like I said?

See the line get no push, BECAUSE IT WAS SLIPPERY?

Tell me, you aren't McDermott's agent, are you? A relative? A former lover?

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 01:29 PM
:rofl:

Did you watch it?

See Josh slip, just like I said?

See the line get no push, BECAUSE IT WAS SLIPPERY?

Tell me, you aren't McDermott's agent, are you? A relative? A former lover?

That's right, you're a leftist. You believe what you heard/are told, not what you see/is the truth. Simmons beat the blockers and stone-walled Josh. He "slipped" because Simmons force was pushing him backwards. A properly blocked play and he doesn't "slip" and easily converts.

CommissarSpartacus
09-14-2022, 02:01 PM
That's right, you're a leftist. You believe what you heard/are told, not what you see/is the truth. Simmons beat the blockers and stone-walled Josh. He "slipped" because Simmons force was pushing him backwards. A properly blocked play and he doesn't "slip" and easily converts.

Excuses, excuses.

Dumb play call equals failure.

The line got no push because it was slippery. Josh slipped too.

Why? Because it was ****ing slippery.

What to do?

Call a different play..

Goobylal
09-14-2022, 02:16 PM
Excuses, excuses.

What to do?

Call a different play..

Stop listening to that idiot Steve Levy. What you/he are calling "slipping" is actually something called "a great player getting great penetration and pushing Dawkins and Josh back."

And hindsight is 20/20. If they had done what you suggest and failed, you'd be complaining about why they didn't QB sneak it since it was 4th and inches, given how automatic Josh is with it. :rolleyes:

Cali512
09-16-2022, 01:30 AM
Excuses, excuses.

What to do?

Call a different play..

Damn your worse than notty. Holy ****, at least notty is smart, your just a *****