PDA

View Full Version : GMFB: Week 1 ANGRY RUNS

Cntrygal
09-12-2022, 11:55 PM
Guess who wins week 1?!?!?

JOSH!!!

:bravo:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">�� ���������� �������� IS BACK!<br><br>Week 1 nominees:<br>�� <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrellH8?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DarrellH8</a> (<a href="https://twitter.com/RamsNFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RamsNFL</a>)<br>�� <a href="https://twitter.com/BostonScott2?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BostonScott2</a> (<a href="https://twitter.com/Eagles?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Eagles</a>)<br>�� <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshAllenQB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JoshAllenQB</a> (<a href="https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BuffaloBills</a>)<a href="https://twitter.com/KyleBrandt?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@KyleBrandt</a>, take it away... <a href="https://t.co/4SRsuE5AlY">pic.twitter.com/4SRsuE5AlY</a></p>&mdash; Good Morning Football (@gmfb) <a href="https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/1569670290900398081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 13, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Woodman
09-13-2022, 12:24 AM
He is a Warrior .....

Cntrygal
09-13-2022, 12:56 AM
updated with video!

cookie G
09-13-2022, 03:41 AM
This was an easy one. As soon as the play was over, I told my son, "Josh just won another Angry Run".

And I loved the Tatonka reference.

sukie
09-13-2022, 04:19 AM
A great segment every week

notacon
09-13-2022, 04:28 AM
The title to this thread is wrong. It should be...

“The psychopath Josh Allen wins another Angry Run award”.

KB highlighted the best part of the run after Josh “....switches the ball and throws him to Santa Monica” saying.....

“Here’s my favorite part. Always the hidden gems in Angry Run. Watch this. This psychopath is laughing. Get on his face. He’s laughing.

That is a big ‘ol toothy grin. This guy (pointing at the ref) feels like he just saw a car accident. And this guy (back to Josh) is saying ‘Yeah...I did it and what are you gonna do about it?.

Devin Singletary was right here. Devin Singletary said after the game....’”oh, yeah. Josh was laughing when he did that”. That is the kind of absolute ax murderer stuff we love in this segment.

Josh Allen throwing someone into the sideline and then laughing about it!!"

notacon
09-13-2022, 04:31 AM

OpIv37
09-13-2022, 04:45 AM
Kyle Brandt is interesting and the segment is great, but I take anything he says about Allen with a grain of salt. He's clearly a fanboy.

notacon
09-13-2022, 05:02 AM
Kyle Brandt is interesting and the segment is great, but I take anything he says about Allen with a grain of salt. He's clearly a fanboy.

Sigh.

Oh dear. Debbie Downer strikes again.

I watch GMFB every day. The full GMFB crew are fans of football. They all love the Bills.....and KC.....and LA Rams....actually all the good teams.

Interestingly, KB has brought up some of the exact same observations YOU have and continue to make concerning their failure to beat KC when it counts, or the Titans....or how many losses the Bills had against teams with records above .500.

No, he’s not a “fanboy”. Anyone who knows anything about NFL football this year is high on the Bills.....even Michael Ervin picked the Bills to win the SB this year....yes, he was still a Dallas “fanboy" by saying the Bills would beat the Cowboys.

Almost all professional NFL analysts are high on the Bills. They are NOT all “fanboys”. How stupid.

Maybe if you watched the show regularly you would know what you are talking about.

OpIv37
09-13-2022, 05:06 AM
Sigh.

Oh dear. Debbie Downer strikes again.

I watch GMFB every day. The full GMFB crew are fans of football. They all love the Bills.....and KC.....and LA Rams....actually all the good teams.

Interestingly, KB has brought up some of the exact same observations YOU have and continue to make concerning their failure to beat KC when it counts, or the Titans....or how many losses the Bills had against teams with records above .500.

No, he’s not a “fanboy”. Anyone who knows anything about NFL football this year is high on the Bills.....even Michael Ervin picked the Bills to win the SB this year....yes, he was still a Dallas “fanboy" by saying the Bills would beat the Cowboys.

Almost all professional NFL analysts are high on the Bills. They are NOT all “fanboys”. How stupid.

Maybe if you watched the show regularly you would know what you are talking about.

Well, if Michael Irvin picked the Cowboys to go to the SB, then I don't care what else he has to say because he's clearly not very smart.

Woodman
09-13-2022, 05:08 AM
Well, if Michael Irvin picked the Cowboys to go to the SB, then I don't care what else he has to say because he's clearly not very smart.
He's an idiot plain and simple.

Mostly the simple part.

notacon
09-13-2022, 06:02 AM
He did it with a grin. But, he is proud of his Dallas fanboy baloney.

Jimkelly12203
09-13-2022, 06:20 AM
For those of you that haven't seen the movie Heat, shame on you.

For those that haven't seen it in a while, Kyle's reference to "He's got a GREAT ARM" and "your ---- is Up it!" is absolutely gold.

Pacino yells that at one of their informants who is secretly banging Ashley Judd (we should all be so lucky) behind Val Kilmer's back.

What an absolutely hilarious reference.

Kyle Brandt and I are the same age. I know the guy is a chizzled hollywood star and i'm just a pleb lawyer in Albany, NY. But I swear the dude and I had the same exact upbringing/life.

I absolutely love the guy.

Jimkelly12203
09-13-2022, 06:29 AM
But so are you. And so am I. it is what it is. Some people are just very, very easy to root for.

Woodman
09-13-2022, 02:34 PM
It's just fun. :bravo:

Cali512
09-13-2022, 02:57 PM
I remember my dad loved Kelly, Flutie, and Fitz specifically because of their heart and willingness to do everything to win or get a first down. Allen is that x100, im so happy he saw his assendent but i wish he was here to see his career play out

I live in texas and have no friends that are bills fans aside my step mom, thats why im so active here. Yall are all i have to talk bills with

OpIv37
09-13-2022, 03:14 PM
But so are you. And so am I. it is what it is. Some people are just very, very easy to root for.

True, but you and I aren’t NFL analysts paid to give objective opinions. Brandt is fun but I don’t think he’s objective. He gets excited about whoever is good at the moment. That’s fine. That’s fun. But it isn’t an objective opinion. Brandt is all about pumping up the best guys at their best moments. Right now, that’s Allen.

But, he wants the fun. He’s not analytical or objective. He’s an “in the moment” guy. And that’s fine, just understand who he is. He’s a fanboy of whoever is hot in the moment.

Forward_Lateral
09-14-2022, 12:52 AM
Honestly, you are just unbearable.

You must go through life just hating everything and everyone. If someone walked up to you and handed you $100 you'd probably find a way to be mad about it.

Woodman
09-14-2022, 01:49 AM

You must go through life just hating everything and everyone. If someone walked up to you and handed you $100 you'd probably find a way to be mad about it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e1nNx_lh6aA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Maybe he's right :roflmao:

Yes OpIv37 was in the GF

notacon
09-14-2022, 05:46 AM

+1

This thread is not about Kyle Brandt’s total body of analysis, and for the record, from one that watches him every day, he is more than fair and objective. Certainly much more than most of the posters here.

With that said, THIS thread was simply about the “Angry Run” segment and how Josh Allen won his FOURTH award.

There is only one player with more Angry Run honors...RB Derrick Henry.

Canadian'eh!
09-14-2022, 05:49 AM
One thing though.

For the love of GOD. No more QB runs in the 4th when we have the lead. I was having nightmares every time Josh took off on them.

I don't want him to not play his game. It's part of what makes him great. Just limit it in situations we don't need him taking the extra hits. He's the franchise after all.

Woodman
09-14-2022, 01:32 PM
I don't want him to not play his game. It's part of what makes him great. Just limit it in situations we don't need him taking the extra hits. He's the franchise after all.

This is where your HC steps in.

I'm sure the Pegula's have expressed concern over it.

If they haven't they better very soon.

OpIv37
09-15-2022, 01:34 AM

On one hand, I understand why the Pegulas would want to step in and protect the huge investment they made in Josh Allen.

On the other hand, I really hope they didn't/don't step in. Ownership meddling gave us the 17 year playoff drought. It's the reason why the Washington Commanders are the biggest joke in North American sports. It's why the Sabres have sucked for a decade plus. Good owners pay sports people to handle the sports end of the business, and let them do their thing.

Woodman
09-15-2022, 01:43 AM
On one hand, I understand why the Pegulas would want to step in and protect the huge investment they made in Josh Allen.

On the other hand, I really hope they didn't/don't step in. Ownership meddling gave us the 17 year playoff drought. It's the reason why the Washington Commanders are the biggest joke in North American sports. It's why the Sabres have sucked for a decade plus. Good owners pay sports people to handle the sports end of the business, and let them do their thing.

So taking care of Josh is up to the coach bottom line.

He's one of a kind .... KEEP JOSH CLEAN ..... Josh won't he's a WARRIOR! :superman:

Now go out there and kick some ass Buffalo!!!!!!

OpIv37
09-15-2022, 02:35 AM
So taking care of Josh is up to the coach bottom line.

He's one of a kind .... KEEP JOSH CLEAN ..... Josh won't he's a WARRIOR! :superman:

Now go out there and kick some ass Buffalo!!!!!!

It really is a catch-22. Josh is a good passer, but what makes him elite is that he can take off and run at any point. He can outrun LB's and run over DB's and there's basically nothing they can do about it. He does have a warrior mentality.

He has to find a way to protect himself, though. The problem is that it's really hard to do in the moment. The competitiveness and adrenaline take over, and in that moment, taking the slide or running out of bounds instead of putting his head down and making contact- it's just difficult to merge that warrior mentality with the "protect myself" mentality. In the human brain, they are two opposite mindsets.

notacon
09-15-2022, 05:46 AM

Spot on.

The great thing about the Peluga’s (as compared to Ralph Wilson) is the Terry lets the football experts do their job.

I have recently started reading and pay a subscription for a “long form” football writer, Tyler Dunne, with his site “Go Long (https://www.golongtd.com)”. He does deep dives into sports stores by talking to the principles involved. There is a lot of contributions from Jim Monos, who was Doug Whaley’s right hand man and Bills Director of Player Personnel from 2013 to 2017.

A fascinating story is how close the Bills were to drafting Patrick Mahomes.....because Terry Pegula wanted him badly.

This is from Nov 2020....long form writing is difficult to truncate, but here is an effort to convey the heart of the story.....

Part I: The Pressure is on Josh Allen
The Bills were closer than anyone realizes to drafting Patrick Mahomes. Now, Josh Allen — a quarterback unlike any other — is the one who must deliver a Super Bowl to Buffalo. Can he? (https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-i-the-pressure-is-on-josh-allen?s=w)

There’s one more reason the heat is on Allen.

The Bills were far, far closer than anyone realizes to drafting Patrick Mahomes.

When everyone else in the country was squeamish, this was who Pegula coveted as the face of his franchise. He brought Mahomes’ name up to anyone who’d listen. The rest of the world saw Mahomes as some swashbuckler who’d never be able to play this way in the pros. To Pegula, he was a star. Yet Pegula also did not want to meddle. He had placed this trust into McDermott — into the embryonic stage of “The Process” — so the Bills’ brass then decided to trade down from 10th overall to 27th to pick up a future first-rounder with hopes Mahomes would slide.
He did not.

snip...

Whaley was still the GM. Monos was still his right-hand man. It was around October of 2016 as both recall and, at the home of the best ribeye steak in America, they charted a long-term plan with both Terry and Kim Pegula. Whaley told the owners that Buffalo should load up on ammo for the 2018 draft where a talented crop of quarterbacks was brewing.

Guys like Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen and, a new name busting onto the scene, Baker Mayfield.

Supply would meet demand.

But then, that fall, a funny thing happened: Terry Pegula could not stop watching a quarterback who’d be in the 2017 class. “What about Mahomes?” he asked Whaley. “Look at this guy. He’s unbelievable.” And he kept bringing up his name. To everyone. It was love at first sight, both ex-Bills execs say, and there was absolutely nothing Pegula didn’t love about him. Whenever the personnel staff got together to watch film of prospects, both remember Pegula asking to watch Mahomes again.

And again. And again.

And, hey, could you run that play back once more?

“This was his guy,” Whaley says. “This was the guy he thought could define him as an owner and go back to the glory days of the Bills with Jim Kelly. So he’s like, ‘This is our next Jim Kelly.’”

Adds Monos, “He probably watched him every day. It definitely became, ‘Hey, Terry, we know you love him.’ Like laughing to a point where, ‘You don’t have to tell us anymore. We got it. We know you love him.’ I loved it. That was the scout coming out of him. It was really cool. He had the passion for it. He was watching him on his own. He was definitely into it.

“He loved him. He loved him.”

snip...

As Monos recalls, Pegula would’ve drafted Mahomes right then and there in Indy if he could’ve.

Next came the cross-country trip in Pegula’s private jet.

First up? Kizer in South Bend, Ind., and the Bills only made this visit to throw other teams off. (His workout was, predictably, ugly.) Next was Trubisky in Chapel Hill, N.C. The weather was perfect. While it said a lot to the Bills about Trubisky’s character that four of his teammates showed up to run routes that morning when it appeared they were hung over from partying, Trubisky didn’t control the ball like they had hoped. Neither QB, to them, projected much alpha. Finally, it was on to Lubbock, Texas, to Mahomes on April 9-10 and, by God, was this trip a spectacle.

Mahomes was an alpha in every sense. He picked the steakhouse. He commanded the table.

He was fearless in every sense of the word.

“You wanted to stay with him all night,” Monos says. “It was awesome. … Mahomes was a guy who, ‘Let’s go get some wings and beer. Let’s go.’”

snip....

One week later, the Bills met with Deshaun Watson. Which went well. They liked him, too.

But Mahomes was the target. Part of Monos worried the Brett Favre-like gambling would break a lot of hearts, while Whaley worried about the Air Raid lineage and Mahomes going 5-7 his last season. McDermott? He made it clear he wanted to compete in Year 1 and his assistants flat-out did not want the quarterback. All in all, nobody in the entire building was standing on the table for Mahomes. Nobody that is, other than Pegula.

Nobody had “Top 10 conviction” on Mahomes, adds Monos, “other than Terry.”

snip....

Even then, however, both Whaley and Monos were sure to remind Pegula who’s boss.

“I said, ‘Hey, Terry,’” says Whaley, “‘this is your team. If you want the guy, you take him. It’s not going to be a bad pick. You’re the owner.’ I looked him in the eye in front of coach and in front of Jim and in front of Kim — ‘This is your team. If you really want the guy, get him.’ We’ll be able to get him at 10 for sure. Now, I do believe we can drop down and get an extra pick and be able to get him at 27 but, worst-case scenario, I have two first-round picks to be able to take our choice of quarterbacks next year.

“Talent-wise, he’s definitely worthy of it. I think we all recognized the talent. Let’s put it this way: If Rex was our head coach, we would’ve most definitely had Mahomes. I’m pretty sure. There wouldn’t have been the excuse of, ‘We need that impact player to help us right now.’ It would’ve been a different discussion.”

Adds Monos, “I just wanted to say, ‘Hey, look, you don’t need our opinion if you want him.’ But Terry, I respect that about him. I really do. I really, really respect him. He just hired Sean. He gave him control. For him to overstep Sean right away would’ve been a tough thing for Terry to do.”

Neither remember McDermott saying anything in this specific moment.

He didn’t need to. By then, the hierarchy was clear.

By then, McDermott had control of the roster. McDermott had final say. And McDermott had repeated all along he wanted to be able to look his players in the eye his first team meeting and say they were competing to win this season. Not rebuilding. Not developing a 22-year-old. So, the Bills executed the trade. If Mahomes fell to 27, to McDermott, that’d be a smoother sell and, Monos adds, the Bills would’ve had to take Mahomes at 27 because of Pegula. (“I think he would’ve been there, too,” he adds. “I really do. I’m telling you, nobody had Mahomes up there.”)

Except, it turns out, the Chiefs. With that 10th pick, the Chiefs drafted Mahomes and, in the war room, Pegula said aloud that Reid “got his Favre.”

Seventeen picks later, Buffalo took White.

much more.....

Terry Pegula promised McDermott control of the roster when he hired him. And stuck to that promise and let McDermott do his job and enact HIS vision of what kind of team he wanted.

After the 2017 draft, McDermott whacked the full personal staff, brought in Brandon Beane and started gutting the roster.....getting rid of Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Marcell Dareus and Reggie Ragland....eventually overturning almost the full roster in a couple of years.

The point is that Pegula approaches the ownership of the team differently than Ralph Wilson, and I predict that the Bills will never EVER, resemble the sad sack, always eventually ‘let you down’, “17 year layoff drought” debacle, mostly losing franchise AGAIN.

OpIv37
09-15-2022, 06:12 AM
Spot on.

The great thing about the Peluga’s (as compared to Ralph Wilson) is the Terry lets the football experts do their job.

I have recently started reading and pay a subscription for a “long form” football writer, Tyler Dunne, with his site “Go Long (https://www.golongtd.com)”. He does deep dives into sports stores by talking to the principles involved. There is a lot of contributions from Jim Monos, who was Doug Whaley’s right hand man and Bills Director of Player Personnel from 2013 to 2017.

A fascinating story is how close the Bills were to drafting Patrick Mahomes.....because Terry Pegula wanted him badly.

This is from Nov 2020....long form writing is difficult to truncate, but here is an effort to convey the heart of the story.....

The Bills were closer than anyone realizes to drafting Patrick Mahomes. Now, Josh Allen — a quarterback unlike any other — is the one who must deliver a Super Bowl to Buffalo. Can he? (https://www.golongtd.com/p/part-i-the-pressure-is-on-josh-allen?s=w)

Terry Pegula promised McDermott control of the roster when he hired him. And stuck to that promise and let McDermott do his job and enact HIS vision of what kind of team he wanted.

After the 2017 draft, McDermott whacked the full personal staff, brought in Brandon Beane and started gutting the roster.....getting rid of Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Marcell Dareus and Reggie Ragland....eventually overturning almost the full roster in a couple of years.

The point is that Pegula approaches the ownership of the team differently than Ralph Wilson, and I predict that the Bills will never EVER, resemble the sad sack, always eventually ‘let you down’, “17 year layoff drought” debacle, mostly losing franchise AGAIN.

I have to say, McD has a set of balls to take Allen after passing on Mahomes the year before.

We all know what Josh Allen is now. If any NFL exec could go back in time from 2022 to 2018, Josh Allen would be the first player off the board, hands down. But in 2018, there were a LOT of question marks about Allen. He was the least experienced QB in the draft. It was a big risk at the time.

Can you imagine if Allen had been a bust and Mahomes was winning left and right? I guarantee Beane and McD would have been fired.

Maybe they just got lucky, but they had to have seen something in Josh that made them confident enough to risk their careers on him. I'm sure they won't say anything while they're still working in the league, but hopefully someday they'll tell us how they knew what no one else did when it comes to Josh.

notacon
09-15-2022, 06:56 AM
I have to say, McD has a set of balls to take Allen after passing on Mahomes the year before.

We all know what Josh Allen is now. If any NFL exec could go back in time from 2022 to 2018, Josh Allen would be the first player off the board, hands down. But in 2018, there were a LOT of question marks about Allen. He was the least experienced QB in the draft. It was a big risk at the time.

Can you imagine if Allen had been a bust and Mahomes was winning left and right? I guarantee Beane and McD would have been fired.

Maybe they just got lucky, but they had to have seen something in Josh that made them confident enough to risk their careers on him. I'm sure they won't say anything while they're still working in the league, but hopefully someday they'll tell us how they knew what no one else did when it comes to Josh.
Yep. BIG BALLS!!!

The article I posted was from Nov 2020, right after the Arizona hail Mary loss.

And the reason for the article was to point out how much pressure was on the young QB....for exactly the reasons that you brought up.

I suspect that Brian Daboll’s hire (on January 4, 2018) had a LOT to do with drafting Allen and the heavy burden on Daboll to develop such a raw talent.

Everything I have read points to the Bills being enchanted with Josh’s attitude (besides his rare physical traits). He was a moldable, eager young man with TON of confidence and potential.

Woodman
09-15-2022, 04:04 PM
It really is a catch-22. Josh is a good passer, but what makes him elite is that he can take off and run at any point. He can outrun LB's and run over DB's and there's basically nothing they can do about it. He does have a warrior mentality.

He has to find a way to protect himself, though. The problem is that it's really hard to do in the moment. The competitiveness and adrenaline take over, and in that moment, taking the slide or running out of bounds instead of putting his head down and making contact- it's just difficult to merge that warrior mentality with the "protect myself" mentality. In the human brain, they are two opposite mindsets.

:10: Nice post! :gobills:

Cali512
09-15-2022, 06:12 PM
I think the biggest thing ive noticed with allens running is he uses it to wake himself up. Hes not someone that wants to be surgical in nature, so after a bunch of quick passes and easy completions, hell usually have that puzzling interception right after that. When he runs, it seems to keep him engaged and keep him feeling amped up and thats when he becomes unstoppable. He instead of being like Brady and just surgical, he just starts doing whatever the **** he wants

Its almost like a receiver who gets a few easy catches a game to get him in the rhythm, then they start catching everything even when its a difficult catch.

YardRat
09-15-2022, 10:53 PM
Spot on.

I stopped reading when Whaley tries to take credit for establishing the 'blueprint' that has been used to build the team. I'm calling bull****.

Canadian'eh!
09-16-2022, 01:50 AM

Yeah. Some of the 4th Q runs looked to be called plays. Dorsey needs to be told "situational awareness" matters when calling those. The game was in hand. That's if he called them and Josh didn't Audible.

Same with Josh. It's ok to slide. I know he likes the contact, but we need him for every game. There's a time and place to fight for the extra yard. Just pick your spots.

Reminds me of the whole "Tom Cruise does his own stunts" argument. Sure it seems cool, but it's not very smart. He's the star of the film, if he gets hurt, everyone is out of a job until he can continue. Him having that ego could effect the overall picture if it goes wrong