• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Josh Allen: I think I can be better at protecting myself when I run

As Bills quarterback Josh Allen displayed in last week's season opener, running the football is a key part of what makes him special.

“I think I can be better in that aspect,” Allen said in his Wednesday press conference. “But given the circumstances of what it was, understanding the flow of the game — I do things sometimes that are necessary in my eyes to help our team win a football game. That’s all it is. But at the end of the day, availability is the best ability. So, just understanding that and getting down and not taking too many hits — that’s year-in and year-out.”
    Allen finished the Week One contest 26-of-31 for 297 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. He also rushed 10 times for 56 yards with a TD.
    “At the end of the day, I’m just trying to be the best quarterback I can be for the Bills, best teammate I can be for the other 52 guys in this locker room,” Allen said. “So whatever that may be — handing the ball off 100 times, throwing 100 times, just trying to help this team win football games.”

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

Re: Josh Allen: I think I can be better at protecting myself when I run

Glad he said it. He needs to play safer to stay healthy.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

Yeah, don’t run when you’re up 21 points!
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• Cali512
        • Jan 2012

What scares me most about allen is his legs when he tries fighting. Defenders are spinning him and dragging him down because thats the only way to get him down. We saw this last year with Bosa. Allen a lot of the time is 2 inches from a sprained leg or at worse, a dak prescott injury. Idk what it is but his leg magically slips out half the time, or doesnt touch the ground somehow where his cleat could plant in the ground and cause a break. Im not worried about really anything else, he almost never gets slammed, his arm angles prevent him from having a weird "2022 Dak" like injury, and he doesnt really have any issues with taking crazy hits in the pocket. Its those weird moments where hes fighting for yards and gets spun awkardly that freak me out
        Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

I'm appropriately scared every time he runs and heavily muscled fast guys get a license to hit him.

Besides that, artificial turf doesn't care about contact. All you have to do is move wrong and there goes a knee. I wouldn't gamble with Allen, and they're gambling. Don't like it at all, won't end well.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
            Yeah, don’t run when you’re up 21 points!
            Correct there is absolutely no need.

You almost wonder .... would a normally skilled backup be able to protect the lead.

If your answer is no you better get a new and better backup.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

If he hasn't gotten it by now, he isn't going to until he's forced to.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                If he hasn't gotten it by now, he isn't going to until he's forced to.
                Won't be a good thing for any of us if he is. That will pretty much be it.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                  What scares me most about allen is his legs when he tries fighting. Defenders are spinning him and dragging him down because thats the only way to get him down. We saw this last year with Bosa. Allen a lot of the time is 2 inches from a sprained leg or at worse, a dak prescott injury. Idk what it is but his leg magically slips out half the time, or doesnt touch the ground somehow where his cleat could plant in the ground and cause a break. Im not worried about really anything else, he almost never gets slammed, his arm angles prevent him from having a weird "2022 Dak" like injury, and he doesnt really have any issues with taking crazy hits in the pocket. Its those weird moments where hes fighting for yards and gets spun awkardly that freak me out
                  I don't worry about that too much. Allen would be a good running back. He knows it. He can do the job. That is why he is running those plays. He doesn't have the same pads on though and his body is taking a lot more impact over the course of the season. That part they should have managed better with him since the beginning. But he's a competitor too and he's done the work to earn the respect of everyone to go out there and be all he can be. I'm on board with him winning just would like it done with some prudence towards the big picture.

I have to admit seeing him man handle the other team last week was quite a sight.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

What I'm really encouraged is what he said of the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
                    "Going back and looking at the film from last year, too many times my eyes were in the wrong spots. And I can help clean that up, again just with eyes and ball placement, allowing our guys to catch and go," Allen explained.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation: he's not going to look for big play firstall the time like he tends to do so far in his career sans last Thursday. This is really big. A mental game to a new level (kudo to notacon who mentioned this a few times). Vrabel has always played Allen to test his patience, not willing to give up big plays. It is up to Allen to show he can win with small balls too, aka Brady, Brees way of winning football.

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                      Correct there is absolutely no need.

You almost wonder .... would a normally skilled backup be able to protect the lead.

If your answer is no you better get a new and better backup.
                      Agreed!
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        Won't be a good thing for any of us if he is. That will pretty much be it.
                        He is the key there's absolutely no doubt about that.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                          Glad he said it. He needs to play safer to stay healthy.
                          The best ability has and always will be availability.

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Josh can dial it back a bit. But changing the way he plays the game is not in the cards.

He’s a big, strong kid. No one is whining when Derrick Henry plays the way he does.

They are almost identical in size and strength....Josh is taller and a tiny bit lighter than Henry, but just as fast.

Watching that stiff arm was identical to what Henry does. This video is even titled “Josh Allen with a Derick Henry stiff arm"....

Allen Stiff Arm.jpg

Comment

• kgun12
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                              Josh can dial it back a bit. But changing the way he plays the game is not in the cards.

He’s a big, strong kid. No one is whining when Derrick Henry plays the way he does.

They are almost identical in size and strength....Josh is taller and a tiny bit lighter than Henry, but just as fast.

Watching that stiff arm was identical to what Henry does. This video is even titled “Josh Allen with a Derick Henry stiff arm"....

[ATTACH]19540[/ATTACH]
                              I agree with the size and strength comparison but that’s it. The rest of this is silly! Henry is paid to run the ball, Josh is paid tto pass the ball first and run when necessary. A RB learns to take hits and practices that, a QB does not. If the Titians lose Henry they replace him with another back, yes not a good but the drop off isn’t nearly as devastating as the Bills losing Josh.
                              The NFL has always shortened running quarterbacks careers. All you have to do is look at the longevity of running QB versus pocket passers.

Yes, there are times he needs to run and even call a run for him, but it’s silly to rely on Josh to run as much as he does especially when up 21 points…STUPID!
                              USAF VETERAN
                              DAV

Comment

Working...
                              X