PDA

View Full Version : Josh Allen: I think I can be better at protecting myself when I run

Woodman
09-14-2022, 08:28 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/14/josh-allen-i-think-i-can-be-better-at-protecting-myself-when-i-run/

“I think I can be better in that aspect (https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1OyKAVPydqWGb),” Allen said in his Wednesday press conference. “But given the circumstances of what it was, understanding the flow of the game — I do things sometimes that are necessary in my eyes to help our team win a football game. That’s all it is. But at the end of the day, availability is the best ability. So, just understanding that and getting down and not taking too many hits — that’s year-in and year-out.”
Allen finished the Week One contest 26-of-31 for 297 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. He also rushed 10 times for 56 yards with a TD.
“At the end of the day, I’m just trying to be the best quarterback I can be for the Bills, best teammate I can be for the other 52 guys in this locker room,” Allen said. “So whatever that may be — handing the ball off 100 times, throwing 100 times, just trying to help this team win football games.”

Bill Cody
09-14-2022, 08:38 AM
Glad he said it. He needs to play safer to stay healthy.

kgun12
09-14-2022, 09:04 AM
Yeah, don’t run when you’re up 21 points!

Cali512
09-14-2022, 09:25 AM
What scares me most about allen is his legs when he tries fighting. Defenders are spinning him and dragging him down because thats the only way to get him down. We saw this last year with Bosa. Allen a lot of the time is 2 inches from a sprained leg or at worse, a dak prescott injury. Idk what it is but his leg magically slips out half the time, or doesnt touch the ground somehow where his cleat could plant in the ground and cause a break. Im not worried about really anything else, he almost never gets slammed, his arm angles prevent him from having a weird "2022 Dak" like injury, and he doesnt really have any issues with taking crazy hits in the pocket. Its those weird moments where hes fighting for yards and gets spun awkardly that freak me out

Mace
09-14-2022, 10:37 AM
I'm appropriately scared every time he runs and heavily muscled fast guys get a license to hit him.

Besides that, artificial turf doesn't care about contact. All you have to do is move wrong and there goes a knee. I wouldn't gamble with Allen, and they're gambling. Don't like it at all, won't end well.

Woodman
09-14-2022, 12:43 PM
Yeah, don’t run when you’re up 21 points!

Correct there is absolutely no need.

You almost wonder .... :scratch: would a normally skilled backup be able to protect the lead.

If your answer is no you better get a new and better backup.

YardRat
09-14-2022, 12:50 PM
If he hasn't gotten it by now, he isn't going to until he's forced to.

Mace
09-14-2022, 01:09 PM
If he hasn't gotten it by now, he isn't going to until he's forced to.

Won't be a good thing for any of us if he is. That will pretty much be it.

Typ0
09-14-2022, 01:33 PM
What scares me most about allen is his legs when he tries fighting. Defenders are spinning him and dragging him down because thats the only way to get him down. We saw this last year with Bosa. Allen a lot of the time is 2 inches from a sprained leg or at worse, a dak prescott injury. Idk what it is but his leg magically slips out half the time, or doesnt touch the ground somehow where his cleat could plant in the ground and cause a break. Im not worried about really anything else, he almost never gets slammed, his arm angles prevent him from having a weird "2022 Dak" like injury, and he doesnt really have any issues with taking crazy hits in the pocket. Its those weird moments where hes fighting for yards and gets spun awkardly that freak me out

I don't worry about that too much. Allen would be a good running back. He knows it. He can do the job. That is why he is running those plays. He doesn't have the same pads on though and his body is taking a lot more impact over the course of the season. That part they should have managed better with him since the beginning. But he's a competitor too and he's done the work to earn the respect of everyone to go out there and be all he can be. I'm on board with him winning just would like it done with some prudence towards the big picture.

I have to admit seeing him man handle the other team last week was quite a sight.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-14-2022, 02:05 PM
What I'm really encouraged is what he said of the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Going back and looking at the film from last year, too many times my eyes were in the wrong spots. And I can help clean that up, again just with eyes and ball placement, allowing our guys to catch and go," Allen explained.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-players-prep-for-very-very-tough-mnf-game-vs-titans

Translation: he's not going to look for big play firstall the time like he tends to do so far in his career sans last Thursday. This is really big. A mental game to a new level (kudo to notacon who mentioned this a few times). Vrabel has always played Allen to test his patience, not willing to give up big plays. It is up to Allen to show he can win with small balls too, aka Brady, Brees way of winning football.

kgun12
09-14-2022, 02:53 PM
Correct there is absolutely no need.

You almost wonder .... :scratch: would a normally skilled backup be able to protect the lead.

If your answer is no you better get a new and better backup.

Agreed!

Woodman
09-14-2022, 03:11 PM
Won't be a good thing for any of us if he is. That will pretty much be it.
He is the key there's absolutely no doubt about that.

Woodman
09-14-2022, 03:12 PM
Glad he said it. He needs to play safer to stay healthy.

The best ability has and always will be availability.

notacon
09-15-2022, 05:11 AM
Josh can dial it back a bit. But changing the way he plays the game is not in the cards.

He’s a big, strong kid. No one is whining when Derrick Henry plays the way he does.

They are almost identical in size and strength....Josh is taller and a tiny bit lighter than Henry, but just as fast.

Watching that stiff arm was identical to what Henry does. This video is even titled “Josh Allen with a Derick Henry stiff arm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDLkyIseWQ)"....

kgun12
09-15-2022, 05:27 AM
Josh can dial it back a bit. But changing the way he plays the game is not in the cards.

He’s a big, strong kid. No one is whining when Derrick Henry plays the way he does.

They are almost identical in size and strength....Josh is taller and a tiny bit lighter than Henry, but just as fast.

Watching that stiff arm was identical to what Henry does. This video is even titled “Josh Allen with a Derick Henry stiff arm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDLkyIseWQ)"....

I agree with the size and strength comparison but that’s it. The rest of this is silly! Henry is paid to run the ball, Josh is paid tto pass the ball first and run when necessary. A RB learns to take hits and practices that, a QB does not. If the Titians lose Henry they replace him with another back, yes not a good but the drop off isn’t nearly as devastating as the Bills losing Josh.
The NFL has always shortened running quarterbacks careers. All you have to do is look at the longevity of running QB versus pocket passers.

Yes, there are times he needs to run and even call a run for him, but it’s silly to rely on Josh to run as much as he does especially when up 21 points…STUPID!

OpIv37
09-15-2022, 05:43 AM
I agree with the size and strength comparison but that’s it. The rest of this is silly! Henry is paid to run the ball, Josh is paid tto pass the ball first and run when necessary. A RB learns to take hits and practices that, a QB does not. If the Titians lose Henry they replace him with another back, yes not a good but the drop off isn’t nearly as devastating as the Bills losing Josh.
The NFL has always shortened running quarterbacks careers. All you have to do is look at the longevity of running QB versus pocket passers.

Yes, there are times he needs to run and even call a run for him, but it’s silly to rely on Josh to run as much as he does especially when up 21 points…STUPID!

I was just about to say basically the same thing.

RB's are paid to take punishment. They're going to get hit every time they touch the ball. That's why they have short careers.

QB's will take hits but they're not supposed to get knocked around on every play. That's why they get $40 mil a year for 8 years. They're expected to lead the team to a lot of wins.

Josh shouldn't stop running. It's part of what makes him so dangerous. Even in the video notty posted, it's not a big deal- he didn't take a hard hit and he stuck it to the opponent. But he does need to be more careful. Like you said, there's no reason to risk your body when we're up by 3 touchdowns.

Woodman
09-15-2022, 05:47 AM

SPOT ON! :10: :gobills:

PROTECT THE FRANCHISE!!

mightysimi
09-15-2022, 05:51 AM
Part of it has to be play calling. Some of those were read options or waggle plays or whatever where his second read is to run. If we give him the option to run, he will use it.

notacon
09-15-2022, 06:07 AM

I know all that. No one (including myself) is saying with any seriousness, that Josh Allen should play the game like a RB.

BUT, when Josh Allen “takes a hit” it’s identical to when Derick Henry takes a hit.

Yes, we all know that Josh should not be running late in a game when ahead by three TD’s....and he should make better effort to run out of bounds or slide.

But, it’s also obvious that THIS IS HOW HE PLAYS THE GAME. He revels in it. The trick is to not destroy what makes Josh, Josh.....the ultimate football player....eager to mix it up....competitive as can be....while doing the smart thing and protect THE most important player for the Bills.

I have said this before....Josh Allen could probably play ANY position he wants to. He could even beef up and play on either line....he would be a great TE...RB...WR....LB....DE....S....he is a football unicorn.

Saratoga Slim
09-15-2022, 06:42 AM
I get that full contact is how Josh likes to play the game. And I want him to run a) when we need him to and b) enough to keep defenses terrified of his ability to do so.

But it's the single area where I don't think he's being a fully mature leader--taking hits when there's no advantage to not slide, just because he likes to, is putting the team at risk. It's like driving when you've had three beers and are "probably" sober but could just walk home. He owes the team an approach that minimizes the risk to their investment in him. But even in this interview you can tell he's not buying it. He didn't slide once last week, and probably won't this week either.

It'll probably be OK for now. But in five years he won't be the same quarterback. Why not be Brady, avoid all unnecessary contact, and play for 25 years?

To be clear: I'm saying don't change anything when the situation calls for it. But don't take hits just for fun when it doesn't.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Considering Josh takes off as much as he does on what are called passing plays, I think Allen runs should be completely taken out of the playbook. Besides the obvious 4th and inches QB sneak. If Tom Brady can do those, every QB in the league can.

But that's enough of these designed Allen runs. Eliminate as much contact as the coaching staff can.

Woodman
09-15-2022, 09:53 AM
Considering Josh takes off as much as he does on what are called passing plays, I think Allen runs should be completely taken out of the playbook. Besides the obvious 4th and inches QB sneak. If Tom Brady can do those, every QB in the league can.

But that's enough of these designed Allen runs. Eliminate as much contact as the coaching staff can.
I'm pretty sure with all the noise around the issue we will see a little bit less ... but not by a lot .... he just has it in his blood.

kgun12
09-15-2022, 10:11 AM
“But, it’s also obvious that THIS IS HOW HE PLAYS THE GAME. He revels in it. The trick is to not destroy what makes Josh, Josh.....the ultimate football player....eager to mix it up....competitive as can be....while doing the smart thing and protect THE most important player for the Bills.”

I do agree with this.

Turf
09-15-2022, 10:32 AM
Aside from his physical talent Josh has become a coach on the field. He simply is not replaceable. He's learned to read the D really well. He drew up the Diggs TD on his own. He's learned to look off safeties to put the ball where he wants to go with it, something I've complained about Bills QBs not doing for years. Hes so smart in his later years he'll probably be more of a Payton Manning pocket QB but instead of audiblizing with Omaha he'll say bleu cheese bleu cheese.

Woodman
09-15-2022, 10:40 AM
Aside from his physical talent Josh has become a coach on the field. He simply is not replaceable. He's learned to read the D really well. He drew up the Diggs TD on his own. He's learned to look off safeties to put the ball where he wants to go with it, something I've complained about Bills QBs not doing for years. Hes so smart in his later years he'll probably be more of a Payton Manning pocket QB but instead of audiblizing with Omaha he'll say bleu cheese bleu cheese.

Gotta love the blue cheese audible!

Woodman
09-15-2022, 10:44 AM
THIS IS HOW HE PLAYS THE GAME.

He does revel in it and we shouldn't want to take away what makes him him.

Hopefully he does it only when it's wide open ...... i'm dreaming ain't i :D

Mace
09-15-2022, 11:51 AM
BUT, when Josh Allen “takes a hit” it’s identical to when Derick Henry takes a hit.

Not in the least. Henry's weight training regimen is to build him for contact. The muscle mass and development is not comparable. Allen is not built like Henry.

Kenny
09-15-2022, 12:41 PM
I just hope he smartens up - Beane should force Allen to watch videos of young Cam and Cam from the last few years (he's still only in his early 30s!).

Hopefully he learns that he wont have much of a future if he keeps playing with wreckless abandon.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-15-2022, 01:02 PM
The last one is insanely hard. The guy must have an iron core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDwfutIeV8

Woodman
09-15-2022, 03:47 PM
The last one is insanely hard. The guy must have an iron core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDwfutIeV8
He's a very strong young man.

Gang tackling is what we need.

notacon
09-16-2022, 05:54 AM
“But, it’s also obvious that THIS IS HOW HE PLAYS THE GAME. He revels in it. The trick is to not destroy what makes Josh, Josh.....the ultimate football player....eager to mix it up....competitive as can be....while doing the smart thing and protect THE most important player for the Bills.”

I do agree with this.
He also has the ability (as Turf pointed out (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/261088-Josh-Allen-I-think-I-can-be-better-at-protecting-myself-when-I-run?p=4960527&viewfull=1#post4960527)) to win a game from the pocket as well and has the smarts to play the position at an elite level (on top of his unicorn physical traits and speed). Something that all the most successful QB’s in history mastered. It’s what made Brady the GOAT.

As his career progresses, I suspect we will see more maturity and using the run more strategically.

Don’t forget that most QB injuries are not when they run the ball. It’s while they are in the pocket.

Of course, there are studies about this very issue. And this study released in 2020 shows that “Quarterbacks that run most are not injured most (https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/)”

We saw that very phenomena last night when Herbert got crushed in the pocket.

Josh Allen is a BIG guy. During the “Match” golf event with Brady, Mahomes and Rodgers, Tom Brady kept on mocking Josh about his with...calling him “chunky” several times.

In reality, there is truth in that kidding and really means that Josh Allen is built like a brick ****house, and I suspect that defenders fear him as he barrels down their throats. Josh knows this and as many youngsters believe, he is invincible.

I any event, he is going to play the game that suits him and will evolve as he gets older, with more experience.....and I’m looking forward to years and years of watching him excel.

notacon
09-16-2022, 06:44 AM
Not in the least. Henry's weight training regimen is to build him for contact. The muscle mass and development is not comparable. Allen is not built like Henry.

Well....yeah, of course.

My comment was not meant to be taken literally.

But, when you see Josh running over and through DE’s and LB’s and stiff arming a DB like he’s a rag doll, the superficial comparison cannot be denied.