• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

The Comeback Game and the NFL Expert

Yesterday I was at the VFW for lunch and several of us were talking about the games (most of us are in the pick'em league). One of the other regulars joins in the conversation and then brings up the Comeback Game.

He was a big Oilers fan and his brother was a Bills fan. Of course, during the first half, his brother ignored all of his calls - while he ignored the brother's calls during the 2nd half.

What was really odd about this story, was his memory of "little Doug Flutie" making all those great passes and having to hop to see if the catch was made. It drove him "crazy".

hmmm..... (multiple responses flying through my brain)

Finally, I just said, "huh, I could have sworn that Frank Reich started that game".

With a pitying look, he assured me that it was Doug Flutie - because the memory is seared into his brain.

Replying with, "what a memory" - I went back to the conversation with the core group.
    Last edited by Cntrygal; 09-14-2022, 12:07 PM.
    Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: The Comeback Game and the NFL Expert

He didn't even join the Bills until 1998 five years after the comeback of 1993.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

The mind is the first to go!

I remember the Steve Tasker show, someone called in and asked him if he thought Kelly could have brought them back from such a deficit. Without hesitation, he said Jim would have never gotten us that far behind! Mic drop.
      Last edited by kgun12; 09-14-2022, 11:12 AM.
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• Cali512
        • Jan 2012

I dont really take a victory lap on the bills oilers game. There were like 3-4 plays that the bills got away with. Illegal catching after running out of bounds, OPI, holding among other things. Yes we won, and a lot of games were like that back then, but we got away with a lot that game
        Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
          I dont really take a victory lap on the bills oilers game. There were like 3-4 plays that the bills got away with. Illegal catching after running out of bounds, OPI, holding among other things. Yes we won, and a lot of games were like that back then, but we got away with a lot that game
          They got away with a lot to build their lead so ....................................... there's that.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mace
            Haha...yeah you think so ?
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Cntrygal View Post
            Yesterday I was at the VFW for lunch and several of us were talking about the game (most of us are in the pick'em league). One of the other regulars joins in the conversation and then brings up the Comeback Game.

He was a big Oilers fan and his brother was a Bills fan. Of course, during the first half, his brother ignored all of his calls - while he ignored the brother's calls during the 2nd half.

What was really odd about this story, was his memory of "little Doug Flutie" making all those great passes and having to hop to see if the catch was made. It drove him "crazy".

Finally, I just said, "huh, I could have sworn that Frank Reich started that game".

With a pitying look, he assured me that it was Doug Flutie - because the memory is seared into his brain.

Replying with, "what a memory" - I went back to the conversation with the core group.
            That's grace.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

I remember Nick Mike-Mayer missing the game winning field goal vs the Giants in the Super Bowl. Was wide to the right.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Yesterday I was at the VFW for lunch and several of us were talking about the game (most of us are in the pick'em league). One of the other regulars joins in the conversation and then brings up the Comeback Game.

You should have said "no, it was Frank Reich. Your memory is faulty."

Comment

• Cntrygal
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                  He didn't even join the Bills until 1998 five years after the comeback of 1993.
                  I know!
                  The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                    You should have said "no, it was Frank Reich. Your memory is faulty."
                    It was a thought! But he does do quite a bit for the Post, despite being a civilian!
                    Last edited by Cntrygal; 09-14-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Well at least he wasn't one of the 362,000 fans that were there and didn't leave at halftime.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Cntrygal
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        That's grace.

He's just never been an *******... I could see that's what "he remembered", and it was all tied around with a memory of his brother. I figured at some point, the Comeback game will be on... and he may catch it again and he'll remember that I mentioned Frank Reich. LOL

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

It was a thought! But he does do quite a bit for the Post, despite being a civilian!
                          Then "No, it was definitely Frank Reich. Friendly wager?"

Comment

• Cntrygal
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            Well at least he wasn't one of the 362,000 fans that were there and didn't leave at halftime.
                            I was in Alaska!

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                              Then "No, it was definitely Frank Reich. Friendly wager?"
                              I'll keep it in the back pocket!

Comment

Working...
                              X