X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Watched the whole Giants/Titans game on NFLN last night

I rarely re-watch games, but it happened to be on I think 8 - 9 pm EST and piqued my interest since the Bills play them next Monday. Caught my wife (not much a football fan) by surprise as she wondered "is there a game on Wednesday now?"

Overall, my impression is that maybe those beat writers in the know are right: Monday will be a tighter game than the spread indicates. The Titans played a very sloppy game. Numerous drops especially on 3rd down. Henry looked rusty every bit of someone who hasn't played for a long while. Blown coverage we normally don't see from a Vrabel defense. But Tennerhill and Simmons were in mid-season forms. Simmons, in particular, might be playing at Aaron Donald's level (he hasn't got paid yet so I suspect he has strong motivation). If they are able to correct those sloppy ends which I expect a coach like Vrabel is able to do, they can put up a serious fight against the Bills.

Defensively, they are very similar to the Bills. Strong D line, great safeties. Right now their DBs probably rank above the Bills. The main thing is they have size - part of Vrabel's philosophy. They use the safeties as we do - don't give up big plays, making you drive down the field play after play and punish you along way with their size, hoping you make a mistake. We played them under McDermott last 4 years, other than last year which we lost but scored 31 points, we have scored 12, 14, 16 points in the past. The Giants benefitted from a big blown coverage by Fullerton and Barkley's huge day on the ground. Well you can't rely on opponent blowing coverage in game planning, and we don't have anyone with Barkley's explosiveness and speed to run away from their LBs. So expect it to be grind on offense. I think Allen's off-season goal of putting his eyes in the right place comes just the right time for the Titans game.

Offensively I do see the Titans suffer from AJ Brown not being there. Tennerhill played well but his receivers failed him. Looks to me that Henry was still in pre-season mode at the beginning of the game, not seeing the right holes, easy to be brought down etc., but as the game progressed, he got stronger, par for the course for him. The Giants were really physical with him, something the smallish Bills back 7 were never able to do in the past. The only guy we have size there is Edmunds, but we all know he's never played up to his size in run defense. I tend to think we should be able to play better against Tennerhill's play action game than the Giants did, but on the flip side of the coin, now the tape of our rookie CB is out, I feel teams like the Titans will try to scheme to exploit the weakness of the rookies. The one thing I want to say is in obvious passing downs, we have to and should be able to pressure Tennerhill, which is a sore point in the past where tennerhill - AJ Brown killed us.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Watched the whole Giants/Titans game on NFLN last night

Wait, what? According to BZ, a double-digit win is guaranteed.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      Wait, what? According to BZ, a double-digit win is guaranteed.
      Agreed. I put $30 on the Bills at -9.5 and $30 on them at -23.5.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

Cook should get his opportunity a bit more this week.

Looking for big things from him!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
          I rarely re-watch games, but it happened to be on I think 8 - 9 pm EST and piqued my interest since the Bills play them next Monday. Caught my wife (not much a football fan) by surprise as she wondered "is there a game on Wednesday now?"

Overall, my impression is that maybe those beat writers in the know are right: Monday will be a tighter game than the spread indicates. The Titans played a very sloppy game. Numerous drops especially on 3rd down. Henry looked rusty every bit of someone who hasn't played for a long while. Blown coverage we normally don't see from a Vrabel defense. But Tennerhill and Simmons were in mid-season forms. Simmons, in particular, might be playing at Aaron Donald's level (he hasn't got paid yet so I suspect he has strong motivation). If they are able to correct those sloppy ends which I expect a coach like Vrabel is able to do, they can put up a serious fight against the Bills.

Defensively, they are very similar to the Bills. Strong D line, great safeties. Right now their DBs probably rank above the Bills. The main thing is they have size - part of Vrabel's philosophy. They use the safeties as we do - don't give up big plays, making you drive down the field play after play and punish you along way with their size, hoping you make a mistake. We played them under McDermott last 4 years, other than last year which we lost but scored 31 points, we have scored 12, 14, 16 points in the past. The Giants benefitted from a big blown coverage by Fullerton and Barkley's huge day on the ground. Well you can't rely on opponent blowing coverage in game planning, and we don't have anyone with Barkley's explosiveness and speed to run away from their LBs. So expect it to be grind on offense. I think Allen's off-season goal of putting his eyes in the right place comes just the right time for the Titans game.

Offensively I do see the Titans suffer from AJ Brown not being there. Tennerhill played well but his receivers failed him. Looks to me that Henry was still in pre-season mode at the beginning of the game, not seeing the right holes, easy to be brought down etc., but as the game progressed, he got stronger, par for the course for him. The Giants were really physical with him, something the smallish Bills back 7 were never able to do in the past. The only guy we have size there is Edmunds, but we all know he's never played up to his size in run defense. I tend to think we should be able to play better against Tennerhill's play action game than the Giants did, but on the flip side of the coin, now the tape of our rookie CB is out, I feel teams like the Titans will try to scheme to exploit the weakness of the rookies. The one thing I want to say is in obvious passing downs, we have to and should be able to pressure Tennerhill, which is a sore point in the past where tennerhill - AJ Brown killed us.
          The Bills have size now on the DL. Jones is 320# and Phillips is 330#. Settle is 313#. If he or Oliver don't play, Brandin Bryant will probably get the callup and he's 305#. They'll probably also activate Lawson, who is an excellent run stopper.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
            The Bills have size now on the DL. Jones is 320# and Phillips is 330#. Settle is 313#. If he or Oliver don't play, Brandin Bryant will probably get the callup and he's 305#. They'll probably also activate Lawson, who is an excellent run stopper.
            Jumping on them early would help a great deal .... but the bottom line is we gotta convince them that running just won't cut it.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
              Agreed. I put $30 on the Bills at -9.5 and $30 on them at -23.5.
              Dang! Not that it's a lot, but a 24 point blowout? Could happen.

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
              Jumping on them early would help a great deal .... but the bottom line is we gotta convince them that running just won't cut it.
              Not too worried. The Giants were having success against them on the road and Jones is horrible and so is their OL.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Dang! Not that it's a lot, but a 24 point blowout? Could happen.

Not too worried. The Giants were having success against them on the road and Jones is horrible and so is their OL.
                Statement game. 48 to 10

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                  Statement game. 48 to 10
                  I would love to bury the Titans and Vrabel.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

I said back 7 size. The Titans uses 3-4. The 2 outside linebackers are in 270 - 280ln range. The 2 inside linebackers are 230+lb.

The bills back 7 featuring Edmunds 240+ lb and the rest are ALL under 220 lb.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                      I said back 7 size. The Titans uses 3-4. The 2 outside linebackers are in 270 - 280ln range. The 2 inside linebackers are 230+lb.

The bills back 7 featuring Edmunds 240+ lb and the rest are ALL under 220 lb.
                      Sorry, read it as "front-7." Last year they played them 4-2-5. They'll go 4-3 this time so there will be more size from not only the DL but also the switch of a CB with a LB.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Sorry, read it as "front-7." Last year they played them 4-2-5. They'll go 4-3 this time so there will be more size from not only the DL but also the switch of a CB with a LB.
                        That fits better especially against the Titans.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

I wonder if they'd ever consider a 4-4-3

One safety two corners.

Or just 3 corners.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                            I wonder if they'd ever consider a 4-4-3

One safety two corners.

Or just 3 corners.
                            I think they keep just 4 DBs. The Titans' passing attack is nothing like it used to be.

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

I think they keep just 4 DBs. The Titans' passing attack is nothing like it used to be.
                              Ok that works 4-3-4

Years ago I watched a high school run the 4-4 there was no run game whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X