• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Someone explain the PUP vs IR Rules to me because I don't understand

What's the difference?

I thought that once the season began, they changed it back to if you are put on IR, you are out for the year? Isn't that why they put White on PUP instead of IR?

But then today I read that the Steelers put Watt on IR, but he can be back after 4 games.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Someone explain the PUP vs IR Rules to me because I don't understand

PUP - Unable to participate at all in training camp and unable to pass a physical (like White and Boettger) out at least 4 games

IR -Injured once camp starts (Like Stevenson) can be activated after 4 games

IR before final cutdown = out for the year
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 09-15-2022, 07:35 AM.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

Ah, ok. So they did it with Tre to open up a roster spot for the opening week, and to basically save one of the 4 week IR spots? Instead of just waiting until the season began and putting him on IR

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
        Ah, ok. So they did it with Tre to open up a roster spot for the opening week, and to basically save one of the 4 week IR spots? Instead of just waiting until the season began and putting him on IR
        I would guess - both are 4 weeks before a player can practice so they might as well use the "freebie"

It also allowed them to put him on PUP before the final cut down rather than cutting a player and then having to bring him back after the final cuts, even though it would be a vet and the risk of losing would be minimal since they would not go through waivers
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

PUP list is if a player can't play or practice during the preseason. White didn't participate, so he's eligible for the PUP.

IR is for players who did participate in preseason and got hurt.

However, if a player is placed on the IR prior to week 1, he is then out for the entire season. It's why Stevenson made the initial 53 man roster and then a day later was placed on the IR. Because then he can return.

IR rules were changed this offseason to a player can come back after 4 weeks. And 8 such instances can happen per team.

Comment

• Ed
            • Sep 2002

Since Tre was placed on the PUP list before training camp and did not practice at all, he can remain on the PUP list to start the season. If he had practiced even once he would have been automatically removed from the PUP and cannot be put back on. So he would have had to be placed on the initial 53 man roster and then moved to IR. So players who are injured before camp start on PUP, but can't go back on if they practice. Players that start camp but get hurt are only eligible for IR.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Thanks guys, this clears things up.

I'm sure I'm not the only dummy who didn't quite understand

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Thanks guys, this clears things up.

I'm sure I'm not the only dummy who didn't quite understand
                It's tough to keep track of. They changed some rules about it a few years back, then in 2020 they changed them because of COVID, and IIRC, they kept some of the COVID rule changes but not all of them.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

The Final Cutdown is the tough one!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                  X