X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert?

I'm not dissing Jackson or Burrow. Just looks to me those 3 are the best of the best new generation of great QBs. Once Watson plays, maybe I'll add him there - purely from the football point of view.

Herbert is 24, Allen 26, Mahomes 27. So I give Herbert a little slack, anticipating him to develop more in a couple of years.

However, their styles are kind of set. Herbert is like Marino, more of a pocket passer, hated contact, mechanically very sound. if you write a book about what a stereotype QB should be like, that's Herbert, just like Marino was back then.

Mahomes is like Kelly. Does not do things according to the book but very street smart -- he gets it done some how, some way. He's far from your text book QB.

Allen is like Elway. Physically gifted like never seen before, but can drive both opponent coaches and his own coaches crazy. Takes some time to realize that he can leverage his teammates instead of doing everything by himself in order to win. In crunch time, he'll find a way to win.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: So Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert?

Josh Allen

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Herbert makes so many great plays, even on 4th down, really clutch. But he seems to find a way to lose a ton of close games. 16-19 so far. Still small sample size and his first year the team wasn't very good but still.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

I've thought for a long time that Josh Allen is the best QB for the Buffalo Bills and this city.

I don't think Mahomes would have a championship yet if the Bills drafted him.

I like how much more vocal Josh is than Herbert. Josh is willing to put his body on the line to win games more than I think Herbert is. His leadership is unquestionable.

Josh might not be a better QB than Mahomes or Herbert, or maybe he is, but I wouldn't take either of them over Josh. I'll ride with Josh Allen without looking back.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
          Herbert makes so many great plays, even on 4th down, really clutch. But he seems to find a way to lose a ton of close games. 16-19 so far. Still small sample size and his first year the team wasn't very good but still.
          Herbert is a pre-read guy. he has a great arm, makes a presnap read, and the ball will go to the main target on the play regardless the coverage. the thing is he's accurate enough to do that. it's amazing how often the ball is going to his first target. but he's seriously hamstrung by a very uncreative passing attack and strangely conservative playcalling at times. it's sorta strange how often the coaching staff takes the ball out of his hands on 3rd down.

Mahomes like most QBs is god tier if you can keep him away from pressure, but you keep him in the pocket and get him feeling pressure constantly, and he gets weirdly scattershot with both his accuracy and judgement. If you had to chose one of the three guys to play behind a bad o-line i'd pick mahomes dead last.

Allen used to be a bit streaky, but his "poor" play is getting rarer and rarer, as he keeps raising the floor to his play, it's getting surreal. I'm not worried about Allen behind a bad o-line, nor am I worried about him in a weird offensive system, as i think his physical gifts would probably overcome issues with it. Mahomes might be better if he's not being pressured, and Herbert might be more consistently accurate, but I think Allen is the most capable to carry a franchise in any condition (bad coaching, bad players), and he seems to have a higher ceiling then both, because when Allen is hot, he's legit unstoppable.
          Last edited by Ingtar33; 09-16-2022, 03:46 AM.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

I mean, who else would I pick. As a Bills fan, I'm rolling with Josh Allen all day.

But if I set aside being a Homer?

Mahomes has won the big games, made those clutch plays needed. Has the MVP, the SB. He has the crown until Josh knocks it off him.

To me Josh would be right there knocking on the door. The skill level is off the charts. He is the guy I expect to be gunning for that crown most.

Herbert is #3. Everyone sees the skill, he's just one step back. At times the team is still holding him back a bit too. But he's growing just as Josh did.

Burrow can very well become the 4th horse in this race. Week 1 aside, he's great. He has top notch weapons. But if the Bengals don't get him some protection they might derail the whole thing.

Lamar is Mike Vick until I see otherwise. I can't put him in the conversation unless his passing becomes the primary weapon. I don't see that happening.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Allen makes plays that nobody else can make, not even Patrick.

Comment

• Cali512
                • Jan 2012

Mahomes is nothing like kelly at all lmfao. How in the world did you coo-relate those 2. Honestly Herbert reminds me of kelly much more than anybody

Mahomes to me is hard to judge. He has all the talent in the world but only needs to use it two or 3 times a game. Im curious what hed be like in a system that requires consistent tight window throws. To me, hes a mix of elway and brady.

Allen to me if Brett Favre with Cam Newton's prime mobility.

Based on this i would take Allen because i think his ability is soley on him where as Mahomes is at least partially due to scheme. Herbert doesnt have any arm angles and limited mobility. I think hes 3rd on this list
                Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

There is no other QB I'd rather have than Josh and when he hangs it up, I'll be sad because we'll never see another one like him.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Mahomes has the best vision of the field of any QBs I've seen. Note I'm not talking about anticipation, just the whole field at any given time, especially on the run. And he's able to get the ball out there a million different way EFFECTIVELY. I would rate him best, not just better than Allen, but better than Brady, Rodgers.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

Josh has to win at least one before he can be the best

Comment

• Kenny
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                        Mahomes is nothing like kelly at all lmfao. How in the world did you coo-relate those 2. Honestly Herbert reminds me of kelly much more than anybody

Mahomes to me is hard to judge. He has all the talent in the world but only needs to use it two or 3 times a game. Im curious what hed be like in a system that requires consistent tight window throws. To me, hes a mix of elway and brady.

Allen to me if Brett Favre with Cam Newton's prime mobility.

Based on this i would take Allen because i think his ability is soley on him where as Mahomes is at least partially due to scheme. Herbert doesnt have any arm angles and limited mobility. I think hes 3rd on this list
                        That's exactly who Allen is, except he's showing he has no problem dinking and dunking when defense are taking away the top. It's like a combination of Farve, Brady, and Newton.

I've said this before, and I dont see anything that would change this assessment. If I needed someone to win right now, it would be Allen. He puts it all out, everytime. Big game, small game, late in the half, etc... he'll do it all.
                        But if it was for the long term, I'm leaning towards Mahommes. Allen and the Bills are playing with fire.

Comment

• Cali512
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                          That's exactly who Allen is, except he's showing he has no problem dinking and dunking when defense are taking away the top. It's like a combination of Farve, Brady, and Newton.

I've said this before, and I dont see anything that would change this assessment. If I needed someone to win right now, it would be Allen. He puts it all out, everytime. Big game, small game, late in the half, etc... he'll do it all.
                          But if it was for the long term, I'm leaning towards Mahommes. Allen and the Bills are playing with fire.

Arm of Favre
                          Arm talent of Mahomes
                          Size and strength of Ben
                          Rushing ability of Cam Newton

And hes developing the mindset of Brady

I think thats honestly what he is. He makes a lot of the same arm angles mahomes does, maybe not specifically like yesterday, but in terms of lowering his angle to fit it in windows maintaining velocity, hes the only QB in history in mahomes ballpark
                          Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

I mentioned Mahomes has the best vision and unconventional effective throwing methods (probably due to he was a short stop playing baseball before). But I do think his sense of people around him -- pressure around the pocket is not as good as Allen. People mention that Mahomes has a little bit of happy feet is not untrue. Allen, from day one, showed best awareness of pressure among all Bills QB I have seen. That's just something you are born with.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

It's amazing how every game, Mahomes has 2-3 sure INTs dropped.

Comment

Working...
                              X