PDA

View Full Version : Still can’t win close games.

OpIv37
09-25-2022, 01:11 PM
Last year, we were 12-7 counting playoffs. All of our losses except 1 were by 7 points or less.

In the 12 that we won, the smallest margin of victory was 12 points.

It’s a small sample size, but this year is playing out the same way. Our two victories were blowouts. Our one loss was by less than a field goal.

I know, I know… the heat, the injuries…

But, we lost to NE in the snow game last year, and we proved in the playoffs that we were clearly the superior team. The weather is the same for both teams. We can’t be the “we’re better than you as long as the weather is comfortable” team.

McD and Josh need to figure out how to close out these close ones.

Novacane
09-25-2022, 01:15 PM
It's a concern I agree. They need to get over that hump.

sukie
09-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Last year is gone. different personnel playing today. Different play caller. I think it’s just that we usually don’t have close games.

TacklingDummy
09-25-2022, 02:36 PM
Better to be in close games and lose them than to have no chance (like most Bills victories).

Just think over the past 3+ years the Bills could have won almost every game but 2 or 3.

Forward_Lateral
09-25-2022, 11:13 PM
Not overly concerned. They were playing with 3rd string guys on defense, and their o-line was down to the last guy they had dressed.

Let's hope they get healthy quickly, though, or Josh is going to get killed.

swiper
09-26-2022, 12:13 AM
You guys really did not think the Bills were going to win all 17 games, did you? Turn the page, prepare for Ravens. The Dolphins will fall back to earth hard.

Historian
09-26-2022, 12:32 AM
You guys really did not think the Bills were going to win all 17 games, did you? Turn the page, prepare for Ravens.

I love these types of apologists.

If this trend continues, they lose one of every three.

The Dolphins will fall back to earth hard.

Probably thursday night.

swiper
09-26-2022, 12:41 PM
I love these types of apologists.

If this trend continues, they lose one of every three.

Dear sir, it will never be 100 degrees and high humidity again. So do not fear.

They can still go 16-1.

The refs, the heat (for which they were poorly prepared for), the injuries and some other issues all allowed this to happen. It was just an off day.

I started to get the bad feeling when Bass missed a FG that he never misses.

No one's apologizing for anything. Those are the facts. And that McKenzie should have run straight for the sideline and he didn't.

OpIv37
09-26-2022, 12:45 PM
You guys really did not think the Bills were going to win all 17 games, did you? Turn the page, prepare for Ravens. The Dolphins will fall back to earth hard.
If there’s anyone who didn’t expect them to win every game, it’s me.

Point is, at some point we have to win some of these games with adversity. We will never win a SB if we can only win games where everything goes our way.

Typ0
09-26-2022, 01:04 PM
If your roster is stacked and you aren't winning at least 50% of games that come down to a late possession you are doing something very wrong.

Oaf
09-26-2022, 04:03 PM
The "can't win close games" point relies on picking your sample. If you pick the last seven one score games, you'll find what you want, an 0-7 record. If you go to the last three years, Allen's full career, or the McDermott era, the argument doesn't hold.

OpIv37
09-27-2022, 02:06 AM
The "can't win close games" point relies on picking your sample. If you pick the last seven one score games, you'll find what you want, an 0-7 record. If you go to the last three years, Allen's full career, or the McDermott era, the argument doesn't hold.

Uh huh, but when I do stuff like that, I get told that the past doesn't matter- what matters is what's happening now. And what's happening now is that we have no ability to win close games.

TheConsigliere
09-27-2022, 02:38 AM
If the Pegulas are "on vacation on their new Super Mega Yacht" to NOT hold McD accountable for the 13 second loss, they as sure as Hell are NOT going to hold him accountable for a bunch of close game losses this year.

kingJofNYC
09-27-2022, 03:22 AM
136 out of 272 games were "close" last year. Definition of close is down 1 to 8 points in 4th Q with an opportunity to come back and win the game. Numbers below by Scott

https://captaincomeback.blog/2022/01/11/nfl-2021-close-game-summary/

Can't win them all folks.

OpIv37
09-27-2022, 03:47 AM
136 out of 272 games were "close" last year. Definition of close is down 1 to 8 points in 4th Q with an opportunity to come back and win the game. Numbers below by Scott

https://captaincomeback.blog/2022/01/11/nfl-2021-close-game-summary/

Can't win them all folks.

According to that, we were 1-5 in close games, worst in the league. No, we can't win them all. But we have to find a way to win the ones that aren't blowouts.

swiper
09-27-2022, 04:24 AM
If there’s anyone who didn’t expect them to win every game, it’s me.

Point is, at some point we have to win some of these games with adversity. We will never win a SB if we can only win games where everything goes our way.

Well do not be surprised if the Bills lose two in a row. The Ravens are at home. Looks like there will be very bad weather. And Lamar Jackson is on fire.

I'm not rooting against the Bills. Just being realistic.

OpIv37
09-27-2022, 04:30 AM
Well do not be surprised if the Bills lose two in a row. The Ravens are at home. Looks like there will be very bad weather. And Lamar Jackson is on fire.

I'm not rooting against the Bills. Just being realistic.

Also I spent a lot of money on tickets so of course they'll lose.

It's just annoying that we're ceding every bad weather game regardless of whether it's too hot or too cold.