X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

We need to protect Allen - not abusing him

Yesterday Allen drop back 63, sacked 4 times, rushed 8 times. That's an insanely high of 75 plays where he had to exhort his body mentally and physically to function under that heat. I don't think any other QB yesterday get to 60. Normally you are in the 40s range or less. In 2020, the highest Allen attempt is 49 in Arizona. Last year the high water marks for Allen are 51 (against Pitt) and 54 (against Tampa). Also note: all losses.

There is a reason why offensive genius minded coaches like McVay, Reed etc. insisting on calling running plays in games even though they are not effective. You want to give defenses something else to think about other than rushing the passers, but also you want to give your QB a break or two.

We have a super star on hand. Under yesterday's condition where Miami defenses put everything in their book for pass defense on display - different disguises, linebacker blitz, corner blitz, safety blitz, dropping 8, cover 0, you name it, it had to be high, high stress for Allen out there. Honestly he did VERY well. Never really being buried under those pressure, evident by the long drives and time of possession our offense had. BUT, you can also tell that there are more bad plays by his standard in that game than the Titans game (such as possible interception balls etc.) - in the Rams game, he almost had none. I attribute the failed 4th down series at the goal line to the cumulative effort of all those; exhausted, and his previous run and resulting tackle probably hurt his hand.

I'd not doubt the Ravens are going to gun for Allen in a similar manner. Say what you want about us missing all those starters on defense. They gave up 21 points and scored 2 themselves. In today's NFL, that's pretty good.
  • TheConsigliere
    • Aug 2022

Re: We need to protect Allen - not abusing him

ThE OL iS gOoD eNoUgH

Comment

Working...
    X