• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Steelers expected to move forward with rookie Kenny Pickett

The Steelers are expected to move forward with rookie Kenny Pickett as the starting quarterback, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

After catching a glimpse of its future at quarterback last Sunday, Pittsburgh will begin the Kenny Pickett era in Week 5.

The Steelers are expected to move forward with Pickett as their starting QB, replacing veteran Mitchell Trubisky, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source.

Pittsburgh will go forward with what is considered an inevitable move after the team selected Pickett with the No. 20 overall pick in April. Trubisky won a three-man QB competition against Pickett and Mason Rudolph during training camp, but loses his job after four games.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • POTLAND PSILBYLO
    Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
    • Nov 2012

Re: Steelers expected to move forward with rookie Kenny Pickett

Yes he can

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

The Steelers moved the ball well with Pickett at the helm, but rookie mistakes would soon rear its ugly head. Pickett's second INT was a bad throw that aided a Jets fourth-quarter comeback with 3:42 left to play in the game. His third pick came on a desperate Hail Mary into the end zone down four points from the Jets' 48-yard line.

At the end of the day, none of Pickett's 13 pass attempts hit the turf. The 24-year-old completed 10 of those passes for 120 yards and the other three were caught by Jets defenders. Pickett added 15 yards rushing on six attempts with those two scores.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

That's all you hear in the 'burgh. Pickett, Pickett, Pickett.

Like Woodman said Pickett moved ball on the Jets yesterday, which is fresh air compared to the dull boring offense people watch the Steelers with Mitch at the helm starting the season. Not surprised people are yawning for him. Plus he played at Pitt, probably the best QB Pitt had for a long, long time (Flacco spent one year as a freshman QB for the Pitt Panthers, but soon transferred to Delaware and started there for 3 years. Flacco could not unseat Tyler Palko, who wound up undrafted but bounced around in NFL for 4 years; now the Pitt football color commentator). The word in Pittsburgh was that the Steelers drafted Pickett 1st round because the Rooney family did not want another Marino mistake (that the Steelers passed on the local product - Central Catholic high school, Pitt, then Dolphins).

By the way Bill's Damar Hamlin was also born here in Pittsburgh, went to Central Catholic, then Pitt. He started over Jaquan Johnson yesterday when Poyer came back even though he's listed as Poyer's backup.

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Good for the rookie.

With the stellar organization behind him, this kid has a fantastic opportunity to develop into a good NFL starting QB.

Eventually.

This Sunday, he is going to be thrown to the wolves with little more than his bare hands to protect himself.....into the deep end with no life jacket.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Steelers name Kenny Pickett starting quarterback

Comment

• Ed
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
              That's all you hear in the 'burgh. Pickett, Pickett, Pickett.

Like Woodman said Pickett moved ball on the Jets yesterday, which is fresh air compared to the dull boring offense people watch the Steelers with Mitch at the helm starting the season. Not surprised people are yawning for him. Plus he played at Pitt, probably the best QB Pitt had for a long, long time (Flacco spent one year as a freshman QB for the Pitt Panthers, but soon transferred to Delaware and started there for 3 years. Flacco could not unseat Tyler Palko, who wound up undrafted but bounced around in NFL for 4 years; now the Pitt football color commentator). The word in Pittsburgh was that the Steelers drafted Pickett 1st round because the Rooney family did not want another Marino mistake (that the Steelers passed on the local product - Central Catholic high school, Pitt, then Dolphins).

By the way Bill's Damar Hamlin was also born here in Pittsburgh, went to Central Catholic, then Pitt. He started over Jaquan Johnson yesterday when Poyer came back even though he's listed as Poyer's backup.
              It would be fun to see Hamlin and Dane Jackson get some picks against their former Pitt teammate.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

By the way I met Hamlin's mom once. She owns a state-subsidized daycare center here (no my kid didn't go there, really in one of bad neighborhood here). it's a chance event I won't name it but she saw me having a Bills hat on and said to me my son playing for your team. Very talkative lady. Showed me a lot of pics of Damar on her phone. The only thing I don't like is the number of pics of him wearing Steelers' jerseys childhood to adulthood.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Trubisky sucks. Man he looks like Trent Edwards 2.0

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I get why they're doing it. If I were a Steelers fan, my thought process would probably be that this year is lost and the smart thing would be to play Picket and get him some experience. They might only win one or two more games, but a 3 win season with a rookie QB gaining experience is better than a 5 or 6 win season under Mitch.

That being said, the timing is pretty bad. The Bills are one of the better teams in the NFL and it's a brutal road environment.

As far as Mitch goes, it's disappointing. He was never very good in Chicago, but he looked good in his limited action with us, and a lot of people thought that maybe the Bears just mismanaged him and he could become a viable starter. Doesn't look that that will ever happen.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

Well when it comes to football, there are a lot of irrational people out there.

There is a guy at work holding the positional of manager that I deal with often. He's a PITT graduate long time ago and follows both Pitt and Steelers football. He has the straight faced telling me yesterday that Had Pickett started the season for the Steelers, they would be 4-0 now.

He also reminded me the Steelers beat the Bills last year, but he did quickly add that "not sure this year."

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                        Trubisky sucks. Man he looks like Trent Edwards 2.0
                        More like Van Pelt 2.0

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                          Well when it comes to football, there are a lot of irrational people out there.

There is a guy at work holding the positional of manager that I deal with often. He's a PITT graduate long time ago and follows both Pitt and Steelers football. He has the straight faced telling me yesterday that Had Pickett started the season for the Steelers, they would be 4-0 now.

He also reminded me the Steelers beat the Bills last year, but he did quickly add that "not sure this year."
                          Lived there for six years (Scott township) and steeler fans are the most insufferable fan base I have personally lived with.

nothing makes me cheer with glee more than a steeler loss and them struggling
                          and that includes the afc east rivals

they are literally a blocked PAT attempt from being 0 and 4, and I could not be happier for their complete ****ing misery.

i hope we beat them into the next decade

in case you can’t figure it out, I do not like the Steelers
                          I came.
                          I saw.
                          I conquered.

Comment

• mightysimi
                            Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                            • Mar 2010

Love this quote from Tomlin ""Obviously we have a level of concern about the environment we're taking him into, but you have a level of concern about any quarterback that you take into that environment versus that defense and that venue," Tomlin said."

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              More like Van Pelt 2.0
                              Just not as fluffy.

Comment

Working...
                              X