PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else concerned about the Denney/Adams tandem?

WG
09-03-2003, 09:55 AM
I know that Denney has played better than last year, but I gotta tell ya, I'm still not enthusiastic about his level of play. I don't think it's been above average nor has it been worthy of a "trade-up" 2nd rounder. Nevertheless, I really don't see it improving our "other DE spot" from last year much.

Same w/ Adams. In fact, I think we may have stepped down w/ Adams. The man can't move. He commands no double-teams any longer. He has absolutely no semblance of a pass-rush. He's gotten knocked back on his ass at least twice in PS by lesser known OL-men not nearly his size. And he doesn't even drive off of the line.

He's OK in the first drive or two but then his play drops off like a lead balloon.

I'm just curious if I'm the only one thinking that we're not much better off on our DL this year.

The LBs have been great and Posey's pleasantly surprised me. But we can't always overcome poor DL play and lack of DL pass rush w/ our LBs or we'll give up all that middle passing yardage in an empty defensive backfield that we gave up all preseason. Not a good weakness to have when playing the Pats, a team that thrives on the short passing game.

Just curious how many share the same concerns...

The Spaz
09-03-2003, 09:57 AM
No. Becasue we have 2 good players with them on the line in Pat Williams and Aaron Schobel. Also I beleive am Adams is going to be pretty dominant unlike how he was in preseason. Another point is we have really active LB's and that will also help out IMO!:)

NC-BILLS44
09-03-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm concerned that Denney isn't the answer at DE. How did Kelsay and McKensie do in the preseason? I think Sam will be fine and he will help the run defense. Don't ask me why, its just a feeling.

mikemac2001
09-03-2003, 09:58 AM
i wanna see adams in the season....you know what does he really have to play for in preseason. for denny i like how he improved from last year and if he is showing improvement and we have no other DE to play give him a try if he doesnt work out bring in Kelsey Denny might be starter but it is likely the spot will rotate a lot. just lets have the season start before we worry.

Throne Logic
09-03-2003, 10:02 AM
I agree with Mikemac. I need to see Sam on Sunday before I pass judgement.

Not that condone slacking off in the preseason. But, what are you going to do?

LtBillsFan66
09-03-2003, 10:05 AM
I'm going with the lets wait for the season to start crowd. I'm concerned, yes. But I will withhold critical jusgement till the season starts.

Novacane
09-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Am I concerned? Yes

I know I was very unimpressed with Sam when we watched him at the Detroit game. I still want to see if he was just dogging it becasue it was pre-season. I am not holding my breath.

Turf
09-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Yeah Krumrie is concerned. I say he gives them two series and yanks them if the don't perform.

lordofgun
09-03-2003, 10:10 AM
I don't want to talk about this anymore.:mad:

Patrick76777
09-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Well we all knew that LDE would be our weakness heading into the season. So anything that Denney does well will be good.

Adams is Adams. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I know how to critique an interior Defensive lineman's play. I can say that I did, but what does that mean. Nothing! The guy is here to play a handful of running plays and tie up the middle of the line to free up London and TKO. I think he can handle that. Plus he'll split time with others. He’ll be ok.

WG
09-03-2003, 10:15 AM
For those of you wanting to "wait and see" on Adams, IMO Adams was a sloth in PS and that's not gonna change. He was hobbling constantly, he didn't have any energy, etc. That isn't the kind of thing that changes simply b/c it's a RS game. It's not as if he was fine conditioning wise but that he just didn't seem to be trying. He looked as if he was 6 weeks from being in the kind of shape that would help us.

I see little changing re: Adams come opening day. I thought Edwards, along w/ every other DT we played including Bannan, was equally effective, or perhaps "ineffective", vs. the run, but those others at least showed that they could generate something that looked like a pass rush. Adams looked as if he was ready for angina at any moment.

We'll see, but I'm expecting the least out of Adams. Frankly, if cap space becomes an issue, and his play doesn't improve significantly after a game or two, which won't happen, then I wouldn't be for cutting his sloth butt.

justasportsfan
09-03-2003, 10:17 AM
I think Adams will be decent but we expect him to be more than that. I will wait til' after the Pats game before I pass gas...errr judgement I mean.

I think we are one dominant LDE away from being a sb bound team. I can't jusge Denney right now either. I can only hope he has a breakout year.

Jan Reimers
09-03-2003, 10:23 AM
At least if Sam falters, Edwards appears to be much improved. And I expect to see Kelsay getting some work, too, and challenging for the starting spot real soon. He is quicker and more athletic than Denney.

TedMock
09-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Denney's looked decent in pre-season, not great, but decent. He has a few forced fumbles which is good. I don't see him as a dominant pass-rusher at all and that scares me. What I do like is that, from what I've seen, he's able to turn plays away from him even when he's losing the battle. He has a very long wing span (Wys, you may want to fry him up) and is able to sneak his long arms in there and smack at the ball. Adams scares me because he can be an animal or he can be a fat, lazy slob. He's at the end of his career and the 2nd is just as probable as the first. So, yes, I'm a little nervous.

wilson
09-03-2003, 10:40 AM
You guys r bummin me out....I thought he was gonna be good...Havnt watched any ps games....this sucks.....

justasportsfan
09-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by wilson
You guys r bummin me out....I thought he was gonna be good...Havnt watched any ps games....this sucks.....

Welcome.

Anyone who reads wys' thread the first time you come to the forum will always be bummed out. :snicker:

Tatonka
09-03-2003, 11:17 AM
i hope adams gets 2 sacks and forces a fumble and the pats only gain 40 yards rushing..

but even if that happened.. wys would still look for something to critique.

i will be a wait and see guy.. i think denny could surprise us, and adams will be there doing his job too.

adams has ALWAYS played at the weight that he is at... it is not like he was a lot skinnier when he was tearing it up in baltimore about a year and a half ago. you can call him a sloth.. but he always has been.. and he has still played well..

i am not discussing adams again until after the first game.

The Spaz
09-03-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i hope adams gets 2 sacks and forces a fumble and the pats only gain 40 yards rushing..

but even if that happened.. wys would still look for something to critique.

i will be a wait and see guy.. i think denny could surprise us, and adams will be there doing his job too.

adams has ALWAYS played at the weight that he is at... it is not like he was a lot skinnier when he was tearing it up in baltimore about a year and a half ago. you can call him a sloth.. but he always has been.. and he has still played well..

i am not discussing adams again until after the first game.

Excellent points T I totally agree!:)

Drewpac
09-03-2003, 01:32 PM
I have to agree with Wys on this one. Adams looks finished. At this point I'd much rather see Edwards on the field. With that being said, I still think we'll have a top 15 defense this year based upon the upgrade at linebacker.