PDA

View Full Version : Demar Hamlin might just be the heir apparent to Poyer

ghz in pittsburgh
10-09-2022, 01:04 PM
He's very active today. Seeminingly always around the ball.

The hit on pickett might be a bit late but he was coming at full speed and avoided hitting him in any significant part of the body, which is the why the ref said legal.

I know his Mom was attendance whereas his Dad is back in Pittsburgh doing youth coaching/training.

Cali512
10-09-2022, 01:12 PM
I would say our backup secondary would start on most nfl teams, but its hard to believe that 6th round picks and UDFA guys are that good. We just have unbelievable coaching and a scheme that works so well for them. Aside from Elam, i believe our next highest pick was a 5th round pick, and Elam might be the weak link lol

BuffaloBlitz83
10-09-2022, 01:12 PM
He got away with that dirty hit. I liked how our guys protected him after the punk lineman slammed him then ran for his life

Cntrygal
10-09-2022, 01:13 PM
He got away with that dirty hit. I liked how our guys protected him after the punk lineman slammed him then ran for his life

The
Hit
Was
LEGAL

Mace
10-09-2022, 01:26 PM
Have to say the backup safeties are holding their own in this defense. It's encouraging.

- - - Updated - - -

The
Hit
Was
LEGAL

!!!!

ghz in pittsburgh
10-09-2022, 01:55 PM

Pickett has a history of fake slides. The most famous one is the Wake Forest game where he faked slide then kept running for a 58 yard TD run. I'm sure BOTH Jackson and Hamlin remeber that game.

OpIv37
10-09-2022, 02:10 PM
That Hamlin play is the type that always bothers me. Yes, Hamlin hit Pickett after Pickett started the slide, but, Hamlin committed to the hit BEFORE Pickett started the slide. He’s a 200 lb pro athlete running full speed. He can’t just stop or change directions on a dime. Hamlin made the decision first.

That being said, the NFL is horribly inconsistent in those calls. Brady would get the call every single time, meanwhile the no name QB’s we had back then would never get the call. If some backup DB for Pitt did that to Allen, we’d probably get the call. The NFL definitely plays favorites in how they administer thst call. Right now, we are one of the favorites. But there was a long time where we weren’t the favorites and thst call went against us every time. And the NFL is cyclical so at some point, that time will come again. The league needs to fix it.

Mr. Pink
10-09-2022, 02:37 PM
Hamlins' hit on Pickett is a prime example of the NFL not really giving a crap about player safety.

They talk a big game when it comes to it, but they don't enforce their player safety rules.

If that hit was done in college, Hamlin would have been ejected for targeting.

Woodman
10-09-2022, 02:39 PM
Bang bang play.

ParanoidAndroid
10-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Hamlins' hit on Pickett is a prime example of the NFL not really giving a crap about player safety.

They talk a big game when it comes to it, but they don't enforce their player safety rules.

That would not have been targeting. He doesn't hit him in the head and Hamlin's helmet doesn't make forceable contact. The only thing that could have been called is a late hit on a player giving themselves up and that was close enough that they ate the flag. They probably should have called that.

Goobylal
10-09-2022, 03:10 PM
I see Hamlin as Hyde's replacement, as he is now. Hyde will be 32 on New Year's Day and will be coming off a neck injury/surgery next season. Not a good combo. And I don't know if he's necessarily interchangeable with Poyer's position. But they will have to find a replacement for Poyer also.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-09-2022, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure prior to Hyde's injury, Joquan Johnson is listed as his backup while Hamlin is Poyer's backup. In Miami's game, both played obviously because Poyer could not go. Then when Poyer was back for the Ravens game, it is Hamlin got the start, not Johnson.

I don't think Hamlin has the ball skills of Hyde, may not even at Poyer's level. But he's well rounded in blitzing skills, hitting, and pursuing angles. For the 3 games he played so far, I'm little surprised by his display of instincts (maybe the result of film studies) to be around the ball a lot. He's only in his 2nd year here and is already jumping over Johnson who is in his 4th year.

A little fun fact of Dane Jackson's ball skills. You know why? Jackson played QB in high school (Cornell and then Quacker Valley), and some WR as well. When he went to Pitt, he was actually recruited as a WR before converting to CB. You see a little of QB mind when he baited Stafford into an INT in the season openner, and he has shown he got hands for INT in the pros.

DraftBoy
10-09-2022, 09:50 PM
If you want to evaluate Hamlin’s hit then just ask yourself if you would be outraged if the same hit was delivered to Allen. If the answer is yes, which it would be for 99.999% of this fan base, then you have your answer on how clean/dirty the hit was.

The whole ‘well Pickett has a history of fake slides’ is a pretty ridiculous standard to try and shove forth. The hit was rather dirty, we’re lucky we didn’t get flagged. I don’t think it was an intentional dirty hit, it just happened.

Not a huge deal that requires a constitutional level defense just because he wears a Bills jersey.

YardRat
10-09-2022, 10:27 PM
I think he should have been flagged. Lawson, too.

Night Train
10-09-2022, 11:11 PM
Might have 2 new safties next year. I get it. Hyde may be done and Poyer may not get paid.

That's the NFL. Right now, get Poyer back ASAP.

Go Bills.

Prov401
10-09-2022, 11:18 PM
I see Hamlin as Hyde's replacement, as he is now. Hyde will be 32 on New Year's Day and will be coming off a neck injury/surgery next season. Not a good combo. And I don't know if he's necessarily interchangeable with Poyer's position. But they will have to find a replacement for Poyer also.

Yea, Hamlin is more of a free safety (Hyde). He's doing well, but next week will be a major test.

Forward_Lateral
10-10-2022, 12:00 AM

Lawsons wasn’t anywhere near a penalty.

Canadian'eh!
10-10-2022, 01:10 AM
I agree totally. It was late. Had that been a hit on Allen we would be livid.

Canadian'eh!
10-10-2022, 01:15 AM
He's very active today. Seeminingly always around the ball.

The hit on pickett might be a bit late but he was coming at full speed and avoided hitting him in any significant part of the body, which is the why the ref said legal.

I know his Mom was attendance whereas his Dad is back in Pittsburgh doing youth coaching/training.

Maybe, but neither backup has shown they are REMOTELY the playmakers Hyde and Poyer are. I'm keeping both of those guys around as long as I can. They are definitely nearing the decline of skill level at their ages, but whatever those 2 have left, i want it in Buffalo.

There will be a point this year where Hyde would have made a difference. I felt that way about Tre versus KC last year. Having him would have made the 1 play we needed. I have lost count how many time Micah has made the massive clutch play for us.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-10-2022, 01:17 AM
The fake slide is a big story, even in Pittsburgh, at the time and now. Some local reporters brought that up yesterday.

Essentially Pickett (so far the only one) is weaponizing the rule designed to protect QB from hits, i.e., pushing it to the gray area edge like Belichick used to do. I often work out with a guy who does HS and some smaller local college refereeing on weekends and that includes football. Gene Steratore is from Uniontown, about an hour drive from south of Pittsburgh, and he and his son run the referee assignment program for western PA from Washington (half an hour drive from south of Pittsburgh), and the guy works with them all the time. I can tell you he blasted Pickett back then when he did fake slides to this date and said all the refs hated that.

Just like individuals such as Pickett can interpret the rule differently and aim to take advantage of the loop holes, the rule is enforced by referees on the field and they can interpret the action on what their eyes see. Is that fair?

Novacane
10-10-2022, 01:23 AM
Yes I would be livid if that hit had been on Josh. It's called almost every time. We got a break.

Goobylal
10-10-2022, 02:47 AM
The hit was legal with the new rule modification to prevent QBs from gaming the system with late slides designed to get personal fouls. If you don't want to get hit, slide earlier. I'd say the same to Josh.

ParanoidAndroid
10-10-2022, 03:13 AM
Speaking of Josh... He needs to slide more often for 2 reasons. 1. To protect himself and extend his playing career. 2. He's going to draw penalties once in a while and get free yards.

Goobylal
10-10-2022, 03:45 AM
Speaking of Josh... He needs to slide more often for 2 reasons. 1. To protect himself and extend his playing career. 2. He's going to draw penalties once in a while and get free yards.

Eh, not so much anymore. But point #1, yes.

notacon
10-10-2022, 04:34 AM

Total baloney.

Mr. Pink
10-10-2022, 07:00 AM
That would not have been targeting. He doesn't hit him in the head and Hamlin's helmet doesn't make forceable contact. The only thing that could have been called is a late hit on a player giving themselves up and that was close enough that they ate the flag. They probably should have called that.

if you don't think that would have been called targeting, then you don't watch college football.

- - - Updated - - -

Total baloney.

and you would have been one of the first ones throwing a fit if Allen took that hit.

Canadian'eh!
10-10-2022, 08:52 AM
The fake slide is a big story, even in Pittsburgh, at the time and now. Some local reporters brought that up yesterday.

Essentially Pickett (so far the only one) is weaponizing the rule designed to protect QB from hits, i.e., pushing it to the gray area edge like Belichick used to do. I often work out with a guy who does HS and some smaller local college refereeing on weekends and that includes football. Gene Steratore is from Uniontown, about an hour drive from south of Pittsburgh, and he and his son run the referee assignment program for western PA from Washington (half an hour drive from south of Pittsburgh), and the guy works with them all the time. I can tell you he blasted Pickett back then when he did fake slides to this date and said all the refs hated that.

Just like individuals such as Pickett can interpret the rule differently and aim to take advantage of the loop holes, the rule is enforced by referees on the field and they can interpret the action on what their eyes see. Is that fair?

But didn't they already change the rule that you are down at the point you "fake" slide to eliminate the possibility?

Goobylal
10-10-2022, 09:16 AM
if you don't think that would have been called targeting, then you don't watch college football.

- - - Updated - - -

and you would have been one of the first ones throwing a fit if Allen took that hit.

Hamlin didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. It was even close to targeting.

Cali512
10-10-2022, 09:19 AM
Hamlin didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. It was even close to targeting.

I dont think you understand how ridiculous the targeting has gotten in college. Ive seen shoulder to chest get players ejected

DraftBoy
10-10-2022, 10:23 AM
I dont think you understand how ridiculous the targeting has gotten in college. Ive seen shoulder to chest get players ejected

I don’t think the NFL and College rule align at this point. The college rule has been adjusted to try and lower the target point to the abdomen moreso than even the chest.

swiper
10-10-2022, 10:52 AM
Hope he doesn't get injured like Darnay Holmes from Daboll's squad did. The trainer had to go the extra mile for him on the sideline:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">REPORT: Darnay Holmes suffered blue balls during today’s game, is expected to make a full recovery.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Giants?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Giants</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NYGvGB?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NYGvGB</a> <a href="https://t.co/5ALT2qRgKJ">pic.twitter.com/5ALT2qRgKJ</a></p>&mdash; Matt Conley (@jetsfanconley) <a href="https://twitter.com/jetsfanconley/status/1579226593482117121?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 9, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

swiper
10-10-2022, 10:56 AM

He's the worst poster here. He should just STFU and go away forever. He has the worst opinions, makes the stupidest posts here, time after time after time. It's tiring.

YardRat
10-10-2022, 11:19 AM
LOL that Conley tweet is ****ing horrible :rofl:

swiper
10-10-2022, 10:42 PM

It was one of the hot topics on WFAN660 in NYC on the drive home yesterday. That it appeared Holmes was bare-butted to the crowd and getting a "handy" from the trainer. The joke was that is how Daboll had to recruit free agents. sukie ought to get a kick outta that. Beats offering them Krispy Kremes.

Forward_Lateral
10-10-2022, 11:03 PM
I don’t think the NFL and College rule align at this point. The college rule has been adjusted to try and lower the target point to the abdomen moreso than even the chest.
This.

First, targeting is reviewable, and often looked at to make sure they get it right. Second, the player is automatically ejected. Third, they don't want players launching themselves into other players like missiles. It's not just helmet to helmet or shoulder to helmet that is considered targetting.

Forward_Lateral
10-10-2022, 11:04 PM

LOLLLL

Look at that dumper