PDA

View Full Version : RB Christian McCaffrey

Skooby
10-10-2022, 07:13 AM
Oh man, oh man the Panthers are dumping for picks…his cap cost should be minimal.

Woodman
10-10-2022, 07:15 AM
Is he available?

Skooby
10-10-2022, 07:16 AM
Is he available?
It’s more than that now.

Woodman
10-10-2022, 07:17 AM
It’s more than that now.

I'd grab him .... dump Moss?

Woodman
10-10-2022, 07:21 AM
With the trade deadline closing in do you believe Beane will make a move?

Who would you add and what would you give up?

TRADE DEADLINE NOVEMBER 1ST!

JUST 3 WEEKS and 1 DAY AWAY!

Ingtar33
10-10-2022, 07:40 AM
I'd give the panthers a straight 2nd rounder for McCaffery. and if the team doesn't think he's lost a step with all those injuries I'd even be tempted to give them a 1st rounder, but only if we think he's the same guy he was in 2019...

his 1mil against the cap makes him double valuable, and we'd also get to cut him or restructure his deal after this season at our whim.

I want to win a superbowl this year. McCaffery is a step up over what we have now.

Personally I'd call the steelers and try to steal Najee Harris from them for a song. He's on his rookie deal, and he's wasted behind that offensive line. Najee Harris would give us what we don't have in our backfield. Size and elite hands.

Cntrygal
10-10-2022, 07:42 AM
I'd give the panthers a straight 2nd rounder for McCaffery. and if the team doesn't think he's lost a step with all those injuries I'd even be tempted to give them a 1st rounder, but only if we think he's the same guy he was in 2019...

his 1mil against the cap makes him double valuable, and we'd also get to cut him or restructure his deal after this season at our whim.

I want to win a superbowl this year. McCaffery is a step up over what we have now.

If this were to happen, I would hope that he could provide some mentorship to the RB room, like Von Miller has to the defense.

sukie
10-10-2022, 07:43 AM
High mileage.
is he really an improvement? Can he get a yard? I always pictured him as more a receiver

Woodman
10-10-2022, 07:47 AM
He's scary the way he is ..... we don't need a bullback we have Josh to keep the sticks moving when called for and we are a passing team ..... improve that and be even better ..... i'll take McCaffrey all day everyday.

You ask can he get a yard .... my response he can get 8 yards.

Ingtar33
10-10-2022, 07:53 AM
High mileage.
is he really an improvement? Can he get a yard? I always pictured him as more a receiver

he is just like the guys we have, however the guys we have are all the discount version of Christian McCaffery (Cook might round out to be a good back down the road but right now he isn't there). If McCaffery still has his elite speed, then he's a major step up for us.

notacon
10-10-2022, 07:54 AM
NO THANK YOU if he does become available.

He can’t stay on the field.

Before the 2022 season started, he missed 23 of the Panther’s past 33 games.

If I was the new HC of Carolina, I’d beg the GM to dump McCaffrey on the first team stupid (or desperate) enough to take on his bloated contract and offer up draft picks.

TacklingDummy
10-10-2022, 07:56 AM
He’s not running behind this lines run blocking either.

This is Josh Allen’s team. Let’s not pretend we are something we are not.

But if they will take a 3rd for him, let’s do it.

sukie
10-10-2022, 07:57 AM
Really, we are still trying to transition AWAY from being a passing team… you people kill me.

Woodman
10-10-2022, 07:59 AM
But if they will take a 3rd for him, let’s do it.

For this and only this.

We are a passing team we have our bull back already :D

:cheers:

Mad Max
10-10-2022, 08:03 AM
For this and only this.

we need a true “bull back” that can pick up 3 when everyone knows he’s probably getting the ball

Allen can’t be that guy. We need a between the tackles guy…add that mystery man to Allen’s rushing abilities and :boom:

Ingtar33
10-10-2022, 08:05 AM
NO THANK YOU if he does become available.

He can’t stay on the field.

Before the 2022 season started, he missed 23 of the Panther’s past 33 games.

If I was the new HC of Carolina, I’d beg the GM to dump McCaffrey on the first team stupid (or desperate) enough to take on his bloated contract and offer up draft picks.

his contact is 1mil this year, the panthers would eat 24mil to trade him, and the last 3 years of his contract are voidable without penalty, so if we trade for him we're not getting stuck with anything. we don't have to pay a dime of the rest of the contract. If he turns out elite and the key to our superbowl, we can renegotiate the contract or we can cut him and not take a dime against the cap. he's got a tremendously good contract for a team looking to rent him for a year.

Really, we are still trying to transition AWAY from being a passing team… you people kill me.

i'm not talking about getting away from being a passing team. I'm talking about gaining yardage on the ground when we need to, and right now our running backs can't do it so JA has to do it. I want to keep JA as healthy as possible for as many years as possible, to do that we need a back we can trust to gain 1 yard.

Woodman
10-10-2022, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=Woodman;4967127]For this and only this.

we need a true “bull back” that can pick up 3 when everyone knows he’s probably getting the ball

:cheers:[/QUOTE

Allen can’t be that guy. We need a between the tackles guy…add that mystery man to Allen’s rushing abilities and :boom:

Whatever moves the chains and that could be somebody like McCaffrey.

Josh needs options for that situation ..... now it's dragging the TE or himself toting the rock .... I like the true threat coming out of the backfield ..... it doesn't need to be a monster .... now if we get the opportunity in the next draft to get such a player we should make the pick .... but this season the best we can get is what we should take no matter where it comes from.

TacklingDummy
10-10-2022, 08:31 AM
Singletary, Moss, Cook, can run just as well as McCaffery up the middle into their own lineman’s ass because there is no hole to run through.

Mad Max
10-10-2022, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=Mad Max;4967130]

Whatever moves the chains and that could be somebody like McCaffrey.

Josh needs options for that situation ..... now it's dragging the TE or himself toting the rock .... I like the true threat coming out of the backfield ..... it doesn't need to be a monster .... now if we get the opportunity in the next draft to get such a player we should make the pick .... but this season the best we can get is what we should take no matter where it comes from.

I like Macaffrey I just don’t think he’s the missing link. He’s not a between the tackles bruiser. We already have the poor man’s version of him in Motor.

I wouldn’t get him at all. If they do I hope they don’t spend anything more than a single pick no better than a 2nd

Skooby
10-10-2022, 08:43 AM
Guys, he’d be a huge upgrade & if healthy would alter our ability to score. We have D-right now for RB, Cook is the future. 4th round pick & Moss makes sense.

Canadian'eh!
10-10-2022, 08:47 AM
If you can add a talent like CMC for a reasonable price, you do it. Even if he's injury prone. If he's healthy for one playoffs, he could net you a SB. But I would need to see the asking price. I suspect it's more than we'd pay.

Skooby
10-10-2022, 08:51 AM
If you can add a talent like CMC for a reasonable price, you do it. Even if he's injury prone. If he's healthy for one playoffs, he could net you a SB. But I would need to see the asking price. I suspect it's more than we'd pay.
I think he could be had for Moss & a 4th, we’d do that in a second as well.

Mace
10-10-2022, 09:25 AM
There's no reason to think he'd hold up physically and 2019 is 3 years ago. If they had usage for that type of back, they'd be trying to use Cook to do it. They need a young piledriver.

TacklingDummy
10-10-2022, 09:34 AM
I’m looking forward to seeing what Cook can do now that he got a confidence builder.

TheConsigliere
10-10-2022, 09:36 AM
There's no reason to think he'd hold up physically and 2019 is 3 years ago. If they had usage for that type of back, they'd be trying to use Cook to do it. They need a young piledriver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBwRV2b3LY&ab_channel=Movieclips

Cntrygal
10-10-2022, 09:40 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Bills responded to our report and say they have NOT reached out to the Panthers about Christian McCaffrey. <a href="https://t.co/poPmJVh1e5">https://t.co/poPmJVh1e5</a></p>&mdash; Dan Fetes (@danfetes) <a href="https://twitter.com/danfetes/status/1579582501957562368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 10, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Woodman
10-10-2022, 09:43 AM
I’m looking forward to seeing what Cook can do now that he got a confidence builder.

Exactly what he and we needed.

notacon
10-10-2022, 09:48 AM
his contact is 1mil this year, the panthers would eat 24mil to trade him, and the last 3 years of his contract are voidable without penalty, so if we trade for him we're not getting stuck with anything. we don't have to pay a dime of the rest of the contract. If he turns out elite and the key to our superbowl, we can renegotiate the contract or we can cut him and not take a dime against the cap. he's got a tremendously good contract for a team looking to rent him for a year.

Well, that is technically true. According to Mike Florio..... (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/10/should-the-panthers-try-to-trade-christian-mccaffrey/)

McCaffrey’s name has come up in the past, but there never seemed to be any serious effort to move him. Now, the Panthers could (and perhaps should) consider flipping McCaffrey to a contender in exchange for future draft assets.

...snip...

Finding a trade partner for McCaffrey would be a challenge. Even if the Panthers were willing to take the cap charge for money already paid to McCaffrey, someone else would have to be willing to take on the future salary obligation.

A restructuring lowered the 2022 base salary to $1.035 million. Next year, McCaffrey is due to make $11.8 million. He’s also on the books for $11.8 million in 2024, and $12 million in 2025.

...snip....

There may not be a single one, not even the eff-them-picks Rams. They may just have to get through this season and then release him.

Yes, technically, he is only being paid a base salary of $1.035M for 2022. But if a team trades for him, they pick up his contract.

The only way to get rid of it is to release him.

Which would certainly be possible before next season, BUT, a “trade” means that Carolina is going to expect something of value in return. The thinging is that they get rid of McCaffrey and get DRAFT PICKS that they can use to rebuild. Especially since they only have four 2023 draft picks.

Why would the Bills spend draft picks if they expect to get rid of the guy next year???? Especially the Bills who have a very good record building through the draft.

And why would anyone expect to get McCaffrey to renegotiate his contract for less than the $11.8M in 2023 and 2024 and $12M for 2025???

So, no, the fact that he is only costing $1.035M for 2022 and his contact can be “voided” (technically that is only posable by RELEASING him getting nothing in return) is not realistic or desirable.

The last thing the Bills need is an expensive RB who cannot stay on the field when they have many more more critical decisions to make concerning the cap next year and going forward when Josh Allen’s cap number explodes.

I’d be surprised if Beane would consider this seriously. He’s too smart.

Forward_Lateral
10-10-2022, 10:49 AM
Anyone who says they wouldn’t want him is not very bright

swiper
10-10-2022, 11:08 AM
High mileage.

Agree 1000%. Stay away.

YardRat
10-10-2022, 11:13 AM
Hard pass. He isn't going to upgrade our run game one bit, and we don't need him as a receiver.

I would consider the Najee Harris thingie, though.

Canadian'eh!
10-10-2022, 11:17 AM
I think he could be had for Moss & a 4th, we’d do that in a second as well.

What?? You act like 30 other teams would have no interest. A low 4th and a dud RB that fumbles?

Slow your roll there homer.

If they move CMC it's because they are getting a 1st or close to it.

Canadian'eh!
10-10-2022, 11:21 AM
Well, that is technically true. According to Mike Florio..... (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/10/should-the-panthers-try-to-trade-christian-mccaffrey/)

Yes, technically, he is only being paid a base salary of $1.035M for 2022. But if a team trades for him, they pick up his contract.

Which would certainly be possible before next season, BUT, a “trade” means that Carolina is going to expect something of value in return. The thinging is that they get rid of McCaffrey and get DRAFT PICKS that they can use to rebuild. Especially since they only have four 2023 draft picks.

Why would the Bills spend draft picks if they expect to get rid of the guy next year???? Especially the Bills who have a very good record building through the draft.

And why would anyone expect to get McCaffrey to renegotiate his contract for less than the $11.8M in 2023 and 2024 and $12M for 2025???

So, no, the fact that he is only costing $1.035M for 2022 and his contact can be “voided” (technically that is only posable by RELEASING him getting nothing in return) is not realistic or desirable.

The last thing the Bills need is an expensive RB who cannot stay on the field when they have many more more critical decisions to make concerning the cap next year and going forward when Josh Allen’s cap number explodes.

The 24m cap hit alone is reason enough the Panthers wouldn't do it. Beane also knows picks are going to be needed to replace guys if they want to make this team sustainable as contenders.

Beane is a lot smarter than me, maybe he could work it out, maybe he decides this is the year to go "all in" like the Rams did with Von last year. Even if you can't keep him. I dunno.

YardRat
10-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Singletary has put up better numbers from 2020 to present. By a lot.

Cali512
10-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Bills have reached out to the panthers about him

Cntrygal
10-10-2022, 11:32 AM
Bills have reached out to the panthers about him

In the last hour or so?

Cntrygal
10-10-2022, 11:32 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Bills responded to our report and say they have NOT reached out to the Panthers about Christian McCaffrey. <a href="https://t.co/poPmJVh1e5">https://t.co/poPmJVh1e5</a></p>&mdash; Dan Fetes (@danfetes) <a href="https://twitter.com/danfetes/status/1579582501957562368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 10, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cali512
10-10-2022, 11:35 AM
I saw that initially. I wonder if the bills took it back. No reason to allow that leak to stay out there

Cntrygal
10-10-2022, 11:44 AM
I saw that initially. I wonder if the bills took it back. No reason to allow that leak to stay out there

I read something earlier from the Panthers saying that they haven't received any calls yet. But who knows how true that is.

notacon
10-10-2022, 12:23 PM
The 24m cap hit alone is reason enough the Panthers wouldn't do it. Beane also knows picks are going to be needed to replace guys if they want to make this team sustainable as contenders.

Beane is a lot smarter than me, maybe he could work it out, maybe he decides this is the year to go "all in" like the Rams did with Von last year. Even if you can't keep him. I dunno.
Yeah....the dead cap hit hurts big time. And you are spot on about draft choices sustaining the Bills as contenders. This is about ensuring the Bills are perennial contenders. We have our franchise QB....the trick is to keep the flow of talent, through the draft, maintaining cap integrity while keeping the big guy happy.

What does not make sense for the Bills is they would have to trade some real draft capital....and then precious cap space.

Yes, the Bills went “all-in” on Von Miller, but they did not do it for one year. They obviously believe that he has several years of extremely high level play left in the tank.

With today’s NFL elite pass rushers are worth a whole bunch more than a RB who has a history of injury.

Von Miller was brought in to close out games late in the year and in the Super Bowl and specifically to sack Mahomes in the playoffs.

I just don’t see the same critical advantage McCaffrey can bring to the Bills.

From Carolina’s viewpoint, the Matt Rhule experiment has been a bust and cost them a bundle. This from Conor Orr tells the story....

Matt Rhule Leaves Behind a Giant Mess in Carolina

The Panthers squandered draft capital in search of a QB, whiffed on the biggest veterans on the market and now find themselves in worse shape than when he arrived. (https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/10/10/panthers-fire-matt-rhule-leaves-mess)

Panthers owner David Tepper’s signing Matt Rhule to a seven-year, $63 million deal in 2020 was no small gesture. For one, it angered fellow members of the NFL owners’ club, raising the entry price for unproven talent beyond the standard four-year deals they were accustomed to. But, more significantly, it was a gamble on the idea that a roster in need of rebuilding could be rebuilt by someone whose best efforts in that regard came in the NCAA landscape, where talent equity and acquisition are more a game of effort and salesmanship.

The Panthers fired Rhule on Sunday (https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/10/10/panthers-fire-head-coach-matt-rhule) less than three full years into that seven-year contract, and, in many ways, Rhule has changed the coaching landscape irreversibly because of those same considerations Tepper weighed at the time. As we speak, most coaching salaries for first-time head coaches in the NFL have shrunken back to the industry standard (four-year deals worth roughly $4 million per season, give or take), according to sources familiar with the process. And college coaches are once again nonstarters for many considering potential NFL head coaching candidates, according to those same folks. While Urban Meyer had more to do with this than Rhule, the fact that Rhule struggled to transfer the kind of culture-building mechanisms that became synonymous with his rise in college has become reason enough for many to skip the NCAA pool for at least a few more years.

more...

$63M over 7 years?!?!?! Ouch!!!

Skooby
10-10-2022, 12:26 PM
Yeah, they have a direct line back and forth all year but now the the GM’s don’t talk at all. Sure thing.

Novacane
10-10-2022, 12:38 PM
Some nobody making up a rumor.

kgun12
10-10-2022, 01:27 PM

Personally I'd call the steelers and try to steal Najee Harris from them for a song. He's on his rookie deal, and he's wasted behind that offensive line. Najee Harris would give us what we don't have in our backfield. Size and elite hands.

I like the idea of Najee.

Night Train
10-10-2022, 10:46 PM
Some nobody making up a rumor.

Not to mention his propensity for being hurt.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-10-2022, 10:55 PM
I like the idea of Najee.

Why would pitt trade najee. They have a young qb, wr, and rb. They just need to fix D and line and give offense time to gel. It'll prob take 2-3 years

Forward_Lateral
10-10-2022, 11:01 PM
How did this turn into Pittsburgh trading Najee??

WTF is wrong with some of you? Pitts is not trading him, and if they do, it will be for multiple 1sts.

Night Train
10-10-2022, 11:03 PM

What ? You missed the "rumor" that the Titans are trading Henry to us ?

Forward_Lateral
10-10-2022, 11:05 PM
What ? You missed the "rumor" that the Titans are trading Henry to us ?
I swear some people that post here stay up all night sniffing markers

OpIv37
10-11-2022, 01:26 AM

Someone posted on Twitter that we were giving up TWO first round picks for McCaffrey. I'm not going to get too upset because it's Twitter, where anyone can post whatever they want without a source. But any trade that involves draft picks for McCaffrey is basically putting all the eggs in one basket. It's basically saying that we're gonna win it this year or we're not going to win it at all. Yes, our running game sucks, but our passing game is amazing and our D is good too, so it hasn't hurt us. We're 4-1 and could be 5-0 if Miami didn't play ****ty games with the heat/sun.

And, while McCaffrey's good, he's often hurt.

Nothing about this trade makes any sense.

Canadian'eh!
10-11-2022, 01:49 AM

WTF is wrong with some of you? Pitts is not trading him, and if they do, it will be for multiple 1sts.
My thought too.

Hell, while we are here, lets go get Kyle Pitts from ATL for a a 6th!

Because the best way to rebuild a team is to give away your young assets for nothing!!

kgun12
10-11-2022, 02:14 AM
Why would pitt trade najee. They have a young qb, wr, and rb. They just need to fix D and line and give offense time to gel. It'll prob take 2-3 years

A RB doesn’t last that long in the NFL. They can use extra picks to “fix” the defenses. By the time this all happens Najee’s career will almost be over.

To answer the question on how we got to Najee, Ingtar mentioned it. Besides who the hell would eat a player at any position that misses more games than he plays because of injury? Smell the markers yet!

Canadian'eh!
10-11-2022, 02:17 AM
A RB doesn’t last that long in the NFL. They can use extra picks to “fix” the defenses. By the time this all happens Najee’s career will almost be over.

Pittsburgh is trying a quick turnaround. they aren't trading Najee.

Just stop.

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 02:18 AM

To answer the question on how we got to Najee, Ingtar mentioned it. Besides who the hell would eat a player at any position that misses more games than he plays because of injury? Smell the markers yet!
Who eats players? Da*** are you talking about?

kgun12
10-11-2022, 02:19 AM
Pittsburgh is trying a quick turnaround. they aren't trading Najee.

Just stop.

I was asked a question and I answered it. Don’t like it don’t read it. BTW, it won’t be a quick fix. Even when Watt comes back, will get hurt again.

kgun12
10-11-2022, 02:20 AM
Who eats players? Da*** are you talking about?

:beers: that’s funny. I was going to fix it, but I like it!

BTW our defense eat players!

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 02:25 AM
Also, McCaffery has NOT missed more games than he's played. Not even remotely. His first 3 years, he didn't miss a game. He's missed 23 games in 5 seasons before this season. He's played in 58.

In Buffalo, he wouldn't need to be a 30 touch guy. He could easily be a 15-20 touch guy, and would likely be used as a receiver more than a runner anyways. The Bills aren't going to trade or sign a RB to carry the ball 25+ times a game. That's not who they are, and with Josh, it's never who they will be. I have no idea why anyone would think they would give up a boatload for a guy like Najee.

As for McCaffery, if you want to argue that he will cost too much, then I get it. But saying he sucks, or that Singletary is better is just absolute nonsense. When healthy, McCaffery is an ELITE weapon.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-11-2022, 02:45 AM
Najee Harris is NOT an elite back. The Steelers are slowly coming to realize that now. He's not Le'Veon Bell they thought he was.

As Zach Moss replacement? Absolutely. He can help the short yardage problem the Bills have. But I'm 100% certain the Steelers are not going to trade him with that value in mind. I do think the Steelers will eventually trade him, maybe not this year though.

kgun12
10-11-2022, 02:58 AM
Also, McCaffery has NOT missed more games than he's played. Not even remotely. His first 3 years, he didn't miss a game. He's missed 23 games in 5 seasons before this season. He's played in 58.

In Buffalo, he wouldn't need to be a 30 touch guy. He could easily be a 15-20 touch guy, and would likely be used as a receiver more than a runner anyways. The Bills aren't going to trade or sign a RB to carry the ball 25+ times a game. That's not who they are, and with Josh, it's never who they will be. I have no idea why anyone would think they would give up a boatload for a guy like Najee.

As for McCaffery, if you want to argue that he will cost too much, then I get it. But saying he sucks, or that Singletary is better is just absolute nonsense. When healthy, McCaffery is an ELITE weapon.

All good points, I guess I should have said the last couple years he hasn’t been very durable. I would have like him in his prime. As for Najee, not married to him either, but right now I would rather have him.

As far as elite, no, better than what we have, I say yes!

Ingtar33
10-11-2022, 03:13 AM
I was only spitballing names.

The titans are going no where, same for the Steelers. Najee Harris is the type of guy i would like to see here. Same for Henry. I don't think either team moves on from those guys, but if i was the GM for the bills I would be making those calls.

-I have no knowledge inside or otherwise about anything the bills are doing.

Back to McCaffery, our running backs are all the knockoff version of McCaffery, I wouldn't be against getting the real deal, his contract is favorable this year, and if we trade for him we wouldn't be required to commit beyond this season. But it all comes down to price.

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 03:15 AM
I was only spitballing names.

The titans are going no where, same for the Steelers. Najee Harris is the type of guy i would like to see here. Same for Henry. I don't think either team moves on from those guys, but if i was the GM for the bills I would be making those calls.

-I have no knowledge inside or otherwise about anything the bills are doing.

Back to McCaffery, our running backs are all the knockoff version of McCaffery, I wouldn't be against getting the real deal, his contract is favorable this year, and if we trade for him we wouldn't be required to commit beyond this season. But it all comes down to price.
Are you sure there's no cap hit for cutting him after this season??

kgun12
10-11-2022, 03:50 AM
Spitballing was pretty much what I thought I was during as well. Then again that’s what this board it all about because other than a few folks most of us are just spitballers, lol!:;

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-11-2022, 04:10 AM
great

a running back on his second contract that is never on the field

sign me up.

Skooby
10-11-2022, 06:08 AM
Here’s a crazy thing folks, our opponents don’t account or gameplan for our RB right now. They shadow and focus only on Josh Allen, that’s why we need someone for them to worry about.

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 06:10 AM
Here’s a crazy thing folks, our opponents don’t account or gameplan for our RB right now. They shadow and focus only on Josh Allen, that’s why we need someone for them to worry about.
I mean, he only had 100 receptions 2 years in a row, but he's garbage.

Canadian'eh!
10-11-2022, 06:35 AM
I was asked a question and I answered it. Don’t like it don’t read it. BTW, it won’t be a quick fix. Even when Watt comes back, will get hurt again.
Would you like to place a bet on Najee being traded?

Canadian'eh!
10-11-2022, 06:37 AM
Najee Harris is NOT an elite back. The Steelers are slowly coming to realize that now. He's not Le'Veon Bell they thought he was.

As Zach Moss replacement? Absolutely. He can help the short yardage problem the Bills have. But I'm 100% certain the Steelers are not going to trade him with that value in mind. I do think the Steelers will eventually trade him, maybe not this year though./ I still believe he is. But they have MAJOR issues on the OL that are giving him nowhere to go. The OC is their biggest issue and playcalling/design has been a disaster too.

notacon
10-11-2022, 06:59 AM
Someone posted on Twitter that we were giving up TWO first round picks for McCaffrey. I'm not going to get too upset because it's Twitter, where anyone can post whatever they want without a source. But any trade that involves draft picks for McCaffrey is basically putting all the eggs in one basket. It's basically saying that we're gonna win it this year or we're not going to win it at all. Yes, our running game sucks, but our passing game is amazing and our D is good too, so it hasn't hurt us. We're 4-1 and could be 5-0 if Miami didn't play ****ty games with the heat/sun.

And, while McCaffrey's good, he's often hurt.

Nothing about this trade makes any sense.

TWO 1st round picks??? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

NO RB is worth two 1st round picks. Especially when he’s getting old and has a history of injuries. McCaffrey reminds me of Sammy Watkins. Elite qualities, but fragile like a porcelain doll.

It’s common knowledge that it’s risky at best to draft a RB in the 1st round, and that’s with the two pronged advantage that his best years are while he’s young, and most importantly, on a five year cheap rookie deal.

Forward_Lateral says that (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/261368-RB-Christian-McCaffrey?p=4967171&viewfull=1#post4967171) “Anyone who says they wouldn’t want him is not very bright”....but, it’s not a matter of not wanting him, it’s the reality of the cap and how the value of RB’s is greatly diminished in today’s NFL.

Especially with the Bills offense of pass first.

I have been as vocal as anyone for the need of a dynamic RB....but that was the last two years in THE DRAFT!!

So, the Bills did use a premium pick on James Cook. Give him some time to develop. We’ll see if he was worth it.

The two most valuable positions on every team is QB and pass rushers. RB is well down the list.

Canadian'eh!
10-11-2022, 07:09 AM
TWO 1st round picks??? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

NO RB is worth two 1st round picks. Especially when he’s getting old and has a history of injuries. McCaffrey reminds me of Sammy Watkins. Elite qualities, but fragile like a porcelain doll.

It’s common knowledge that it’s risky at best to draft a RB in the 1st round, and that’s with the two pronged advantage that his best years are while he’s young, and most importantly, on a five year cheap rookie deal.

Forward_Lateral says that (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/261368-RB-Christian-McCaffrey?p=4967171&viewfull=1#post4967171) “Anyone who says they wouldn’t want him is not very bright”....but, it’s not a matter of not wanting him, it’s the reality of the cap and how the value of RB’s is greatly diminished in today’s NFL.

Especially with the Bills offense of pass first.

I have been as vocal as anyone for the need of a dynamic RB....but that was the last two years in THE DRAFT!!

So, the Bills did use a premium pick on James Cook. Give him some time to develop. We’ll see if he was worth it.

The two most valuable positions on every team is QB and pass rushers. RB is well down the list.
Maybe they could trade Edmunds straight up.

Bill Cody
10-11-2022, 07:16 AM
We could use a back that can get a yard when we need a yard or 3-4 yards when it's time to burn clock. If we were inclined to look for that guy we could call NE for Damien Harris except he's hurt now. I doubt he'll be re-signed in NE

As far as McCaffrey that's a hard no. If you trade for a player you take on his contract excluding any bonus. He's got 3 years at 12m left and he's as fragile now as fine china.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-11-2022, 07:39 AM
/ I still believe he is. But they have MAJOR issues on the OL that are giving him nowhere to go. The OC is their biggest issue and playcalling/design has been a disaster too.

You may want to check all 22-reviews on him. He is missing reads and not finding cutting back lanes whereas his backup does under the SAME offensive line. Pretty much all Steelers beat writers are seeing that now.

What you said is exactly what he is at Alabama, with the dominating O-Line in front of him. And that's why it is hard to evaluate Alabama running backs because in NFL, it is rare to have that. Titans Derrick Henry does not have the best O-Line in NFL, but he made them look good.

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 08:05 AM
We could use a back that can get a yard when we need a yard or 3-4 yards when it's time to burn clock. If we were inclined to look for that guy we could call NE for Damien Harris except he's hurt now. I doubt he'll be re-signed in NE

As far as McCaffrey that's a hard no. If you trade for a player you take on his contract excluding any bonus. He's got 3 years at 12m left and he's as fragile now as fine china.

Harris as a Free Agent is actually a great idea. He's a straight ahead runner, that has a nose for the endzone. He'd fit perfectly, IMO.

Saratoga Slim
10-11-2022, 08:08 AM
I'll be the first one to get excited if it happens. But I think our RB problem is that we have an OL built primarily to protect Josh.

notacon
10-11-2022, 08:14 AM
Maybe they could trade Edmunds straight up.

That would be a great trade for Carolina, a terrible trade for Buffalo.

Bill Cody
10-11-2022, 08:44 AM
Harris as a Free Agent is actually a great idea. He's a straight ahead runner, that has a nose for the endzone. He'd fit perfectly, IMO.

I dunno. I like Harris but I'm generally opposed to paying a running back on his 2nd contract because it rarely works out. Harris was taken a few picks after Singletary in the 4th round. There are guys of that caliber in virtually every draft. You pay them relatively short money and there's still tread on the tires. I guess it depends on the contract but my guess is probably too much.

Buffalogic
10-11-2022, 08:45 AM
Josh Jacobs is a free agent in the offseason. He'd be perfect.

notacon
10-11-2022, 09:21 AM
I dunno. I like Harris but I'm generally opposed to paying a running back on his 2nd contract because it rarely works out. Harris was taken a few picks after Singletary in the 4th round. There are guys of that caliber in virtually every draft. You pay them relatively short money and there's still tread on the tires. I guess it depends on the contract but my guess is probably too much.

+1

It’s been said many times here that “RB’s are a dime a dozen”....and there is some truth to that. Elite RB’s are special, but mostly for teams that are a ‘run first’ mentality. Or those that do not have an elite QB.

The most reasonable model is to draft RB’s relatively often, keep the practice squad well stocked, after four years, move on. No 2nd contracts unless there is something really special gong on. For a reasonable price without an elite QB that is eating up 15% to 20% of cap space.

That ship has already sailed for the Bills. Allen is the guy, and he’s worth every penny of the percentage of the cap he consumes. If the cap hits $230M in 2023 (like some estimates), Josh Allen will take 17.39% of that. Not out of line.

There are a handful of QB’s in this league, that when you have him on your team....you are NEVER out of a game. There are NO Rb’s that fit that mold.

This year, two of the best RB’s drafted were late.....

Dameon Pierce, 4th round, 107th overall. He is tearing it up in Houston.

Isaih Pacheco, 7th roind, 251st overall. He is like a bowling ball who is very hard to take down....with speed. Perfect for KC, and the Bills.

kgun12
10-11-2022, 12:08 PM
Would you like to place a bet on Najee being traded?

Good lord give it up, Ingtar talked a about McCaffery and Najee. I said out of the two I would rather have Najee. I never said the Steelers would trade him. All I said was by the time they rebuild Najee will be past his prime. Not sure why you’re trying to make a big deal over a who would your rather have. Get over yourself.

Skooby
10-11-2022, 12:13 PM
Top LANDING SPOTS for Christian McCaffrey:

1. Buffalo Bills

2. Los Angeles Rams

3. Denver Broncos

4. San Francisco 49ers

5. Philadelphia Eagles

6. Washington Commanders

Crisis
10-11-2022, 12:21 PM
Ya'll are crazy who don't want McCaffrey. No dead money if we cut him after this year (I think I read that somewhere), he would be a pure 1 year rental. Adding an elite RB who is also the best pass catching RB in the NFL is worth a round 3 pick to me to really go in for a SB this year.

The guy could basically operate as another slot WR for us even if our run blocking is still horrible.

Cntrygal
10-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Ya'll are crazy who don't want McCaffrey. No dead money if we cut him after this year (I think I read that somewhere), he would be a pure 1 year rental. Adding an elite RB who is also the best pass catching RB in the NFL is worth a round 3 pick to me to really go in for a SB this year.

The guy could basically operate as another slot WR for us even if our run blocking is still horrible.

And VETERAN mentorship from someone who has been highly successful.

notacon
10-11-2022, 12:54 PM

Once again, it’s not an issue of “don’t want McCaffrey, it’s what does that entail? He is the #1 highest paid RB in the NFL (in avg. $ per year). I think it would be crazy to think that the Bills (or anyone) would get hm for a 3rd round pick.

What might be more realistic is looking at what Tyreek Hill cost Miami in that trade.

It took FIVE draft picks:

1 - 1st round
1 - 2nd round
2 - 4th round
1 - sixth round

I suspect that the LEAST the Panthers would take is a 1st round pick. That’s awfully expensive for a “one year rental”. In my opinion, even a third round pick is way too much for a 1 year rental. We’ll know soon if Beane thinks that as well.

In any event, the scuttlebutt around the NFL is that he is NOT going to be traded this year.

Panthers Reportedly Make Initial Decision On Potential Christian McCaffrey Trade (https://athlonsports.com/nfl/panthers-make-initial-decision-on-potential-christian-mccaffrey-trade)

The Carolina Panthers are moving on from head coach Matt Rhule. Now, NFL fans believe the NFC South franchise is going to sell the house and rebuild.
Included in the mass-wide selling could be Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey.

However, it doesn't appear that the team is planning on placing the veteran running back on the trade block.

Currently, the Panthers aren't having any trade discussions about McCaffrey, per NFL insider Tom Pelissero.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOlsibGlua3RyLmVlIiwidHIuZWUiLCJ0ZXJyYS5jb20uYnIiLCJ3d3cubGlua3RyLmVlIiwid3d3LnRyLmVlIiwid3d3LnRlcnJhLmNvbS5iciJdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2hvcml6b25fdGltZWxpbmVfMTIwMzQiOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidHJlYXRtZW50IiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd190d2VldF9lZGl0X2JhY2tlbmQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3JlZnNyY19zZXNzaW9uIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19jaGluX3BpbGxzXzE0NzQxIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6ImNvbG9yX2ljb25zIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0 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 lb19obHNfZHluYW1pY19tYW5pZmVzdHNfMTUwODIiOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidHJ1ZV9iaXRyYXRlIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd190d2VldF9lZGl0X2Zyb250ZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH19&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1579586082718748672&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com%2Ffanzone%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dpostreply%26t%3D261368&sessionId=0f82f653386e15f84360febdae26c8197fb4184d&theme=light&widgetsVersion=1c23387b1f70c%3A1664388199485&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1579586082718748672" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 305px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That may be the plan now, but it could change whenever. As the trade deadline approaches Carolina may end up changing its mind.

The one reason the Panthers may be reluctant to trade McCaffrey now is that they have already paid his $8.6 million salary in a bonus.

So unless Carolina wants draft capital, which is possible. retaining the veteran running back makes sense.

By firing Rhule, they still have to pay him $40M (unless or until he gets another coaching job). The NFL is still a business and throwing away millions and millions is not smart business.

PLUS the $24+M dead cap hit.

This can certainly be a smokescreen by Carolina. That is usually done to increase the offers to get him.

We’ll find out three weeks from today on the Nov. 1 trade deadline.

I suspect that...

1....they probably won’t trade him....and....

2....if they DO trade him, it will cost a LOT more than a third round pick, and what it will take to get him will be nowhere worth it for the Bills for a 1 year rental.<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

Mace
10-11-2022, 01:04 PM
Anyone who says they wouldn’t want him is not very bright

Educate me. What makes you think 2022 McCaffery is 2019 McCaffery or that Cook couldn't fill that role if they had that role to fill, figuring they'd be trying to do so ? Sure, he's a "name", he's not looking that deadly though atm, and should be as a playmaking safety valve for their struggling QB's to rely on. He's not who he was for a few years. What makes you think he'd hold up physically and add a dimension to an already powerful offense if you can't run him up the middle for a yard on 3rd and one ? Cook has speed and catching ability for mismatches already, if they did that, which it doesn't appear they are.

Skooby
10-11-2022, 01:05 PM

It’s shocking that this obvious & significant upgrade for the position could be reviewed as anything but positive. The Panthers have been our friends for a long time, lots of relationships there.

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 01:12 PM
Educate me. What makes you think 2022 McCaffery is 2019 McCaffery or that Cook couldn't fill that role if they had that role to fill, figuring they'd be trying to do so ? Sure, he's a "name", he's not looking that deadly though atm, and should be as a playmaking safety valve for their struggling QB's to rely on. He's not who he was for a few years. What makes you think he'd hold up physically and add a dimension to an already powerful offense if you can't run him up the middle for a yard on 3rd and one ? Cook has speed and catching ability for mismatches already, if they did that, which it doesn't appear they are.

What on earth has Cook done? McCaffery wouldn’t have to be who he’s been, in Buffalo. He wouldn’t be the only option, he’d be AN option. He wouldn’t take nearly the physical toll on his body, as he likely wouldn’t get nearly as many touches, thus preserving his body. He’s still a highly productive back, when healthy. He has over 500 scrimmage yards this season on a terrible Carolina team with a terrible QB. Cook couldn’t even beat out Moss for more snaps

YardRat
10-11-2022, 01:25 PM
What on earth has Cook done? McCaffery wouldn’t have to be who he’s been, in Buffalo. He wouldn’t be the only option, he’d be AN option. He wouldn’t take nearly the physical toll on his body, as he likely wouldn’t get nearly as many touches, thus preserving his body. He’s still a highly productive back, when healthy. He has over 500 scrimmage yards this season on a terrible Carolina team with a terrible QB. Cook couldn’t even beat out Moss for more snaps

So....

What are you willing to give up for him?
How many touches would you expect him to get?
Is his receiving 'prowess' really necessary considering everybody else we have and are developing to catch the ball?
What does he have right now that indicates he would be an upgrade in running the ball over anybody we have already?

Mace
10-11-2022, 01:48 PM

Well, you're going after McCaffery as a marquee option without wanting him to be a marquee option, just AN option, figuring he'd stay healthy because the other real option for the role is Cook, who they aren't trying to use as that option anyway, atm, and you're figuring he's 2019 McCaffery and we can afford to be more delicate with him, because we need to be delicate with a marquee guy we don't want to be a marquee guy. It still seems unnecessary to me. We need a running back who runs, imho. And it shouldn't be so pricey or extravagant.

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 10:50 PM
So....

What are you willing to give up for him?
How many touches would you expect him to get?
Is his receiving 'prowess' really necessary considering everybody else we have and are developing to catch the ball?
What does he have right now that indicates he would be an upgrade in running the ball over anybody we have already?

Finally a good question. I am not sure what the right price would be. Definitely not a 1st round pick, unless he renegotiates his contract to a team friendly deal after this year, otherwise they would likely just cut him (unless the cap jumps up something astronomical). 2nd? Still maybe too much, but if I'm Beane I'd consider a 2nd, but absolutely no more. It would have to be a 2024 2nd too, IMO.

The way WRs are dropping like flies, I would rather have McCaffery than Odell, wouldn't you?

He's run for 324 yards on 72 carries, at 4.5 YPC this year, on a pretty bad Carolina team with a pretty bad O-line. On the flip, Singletary had run for 171 yards on 40 carries at a 4.28 YPC (better than I thought it would be before looking it up). CMC also has 2 rushing TDs.

Forward_Lateral
10-11-2022, 10:51 PM
Well, you're going after McCaffery as a marquee option without wanting him to be a marquee option, just AN option, figuring he'd stay healthy because the other real option for the role is Cook, who they aren't trying to use as that option anyway, atm, and you're figuring he's 2019 McCaffery and we can afford to be more delicate with him, because we need to be delicate with a marquee guy we don't want to be a marquee guy. It still seems unnecessary to me. We need a running back who runs, imho. And it shouldn't be so pricey or extravagant.
Why do they need a RB who runs? Do you honestly think they are going to go out there and run the ball 30+ times a game?

If you do, you haven't been paying attention for the past 3 years.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-12-2022, 02:53 AM
Why do they need a RB who runs? Do you honestly think they are going to go out there and run the ball 30+ times a game?

If you do, you haven't been paying attention for the past 3 years.

Good to have the threat of run. Also important in windy conditions

notacon
10-12-2022, 05:23 AM
Finally a good question. I am not sure what the right price would be. Definitely not a 1st round pick, unless he renegotiates his contract to a team friendly deal after this year, otherwise they would likely just cut him (unless the cap jumps up something astronomical). 2nd? Still maybe too much, but if I'm Beane I'd consider a 2nd, but absolutely no more. It would have to be a 2024 2nd too, IMO.

The way WRs are dropping like flies, I would rather have McCaffery than Odell, wouldn't you?

He's run for 324 yards on 72 carries, at 4.5 YPC this year, on a pretty bad Carolina team with a pretty bad O-line. On the flip, Singletary had run for 171 yards on 40 carries at a 4.28 YPC (better than I thought it would be before looking it up). CMC also has 2 rushing TDs.
That’s the key (what is the right price?).

Look at it from Carolina’s viewpoint. They have a pretty decent roster, not great, but not terrible. What are they glaringly lacking???

Of course, everyone knows....a QB.

2023 is a QB rich draft. Several teams are very much in the market to draft a QB. Washington, Seattle (maybe....Smith has been lighting it up), Atlanta, Houston, Indy, Detroit, possibly New Orleans.....even if Carolina ends up with a top 10 draft pick, it might take more draft capital to move up to get the guy they want.

So, any trade would almost undoubtably be for draft picks. Teams, generally, will not trade a first round choice (or much close to that) for a RB....McCaffery or anyone else. The Bills absolutely would and should not.

Even IF a team is prepared to offer some draft picks, if Carolina trades McCaffrey they have a $8M dead cap hit in 2022 and a whopping $18M cap hit in 2023. Besides the $8M they already paid him in bonus money this year.

A much better target to trade for draft picks is Brian Burns, their 24 year old EDGE rusher, 2019 1st round pick who is making just $2.4M this year and $16M in 2023 on his fifth year option.

Teams WILL pay a first round pick for a EDGE rusher over a RB.

In other words....it does not make much sense for Carolina to trade McCaffrey....UNLESS some desperate team OVERPAYS.

You ask the question, "I would rather have McCaffery than Odell, wouldn't you?”....and that is SPOT ON!!!

OBJ is a difference maker, and it would not need a trade of ANY sort to get him. He would be a true “one year rental” as the Bills could offer him an incentive laden contract just for 2022.

Trading for McCaffrey makes no sense for the Bills, and not much sense for Carolina.

With the news today that LA Rams (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/12/odell-beckham-jr-l-a-knows-where-i-wanted-to-be-but-got-lowest-of-low-offers/), basically insulted OBJ with the “...lowest of low offers” and Von Miller pushing both the Bills and OBJ to come aboard, it would seem much more likely that the Bills sign him for a Super Bowl run as opposed to trading for a injury prone RB.

TacklingDummy
10-12-2022, 05:33 AM
I'd rather have OBJ than CMJ.

Skooby
10-12-2022, 06:04 AM
Why not both again ?? We can use help at WR more right now but how much more do we need ? Our RB depth is too much, I’d expect Moss to be traded if this goes through.

Forward_Lateral
10-12-2022, 06:23 AM

Why?

OBJ is a malcontent that only gives a crap when the team is winning. He cares about one thing only. Himself.

Turf
10-12-2022, 11:17 AM
I don't see us paying CMF after this year. At which point I'd only give up Moss and a 4th otherwise forget it.

Kenny
10-12-2022, 11:29 AM
I'd pass unless the price is extremely low (i.e., Moss and a late round draft pick) - now if Barkley was available, that'd be interesting!

All honesty though, if we were going to spend draft capital, and of course, if there was a player available to target, I'd look to fix our secondary.

Canadian'eh!
10-12-2022, 12:20 PM
Why?

OBJ is a malcontent that only gives a crap when the team is winning. He cares about one thing only. Himself.

Someone got burned in Fantasy last year

Skooby
10-12-2022, 10:04 PM
Why?

OBJ might be out trolling other teams to get a higher price, him fawning for the Rams online sickens me. Dude make up your F-N mind already, your not getting huge money for a 2 month trip.

YardRat
10-12-2022, 10:32 PM
McAfferey might be the most over-rated offensive player in the league. Jalen Ramsey probably is on defense...or T.Diggs.

Forward_Lateral
10-12-2022, 10:39 PM
OBJ might be out trolling other teams to get a higher price, him fawning for the Rams online sickens me. Dude make up your F-N mind already, your not getting huge money for a 2 month trip.

Right. If he really only cared about winning, he would've signed with the Chiefs, Bills, etc by now. The Rams are clearly going nowhere.

YardRat
10-12-2022, 10:42 PM
Right. If he really only cared about winning, he would've signed with the Chiefs, Bills, etc by now. The Rams are clearly going nowhere.

He isn't ready to sign with anybody yet, he's still rehabbing. But, that alone doesn't dispute your perception of his attitude, either.

Forward_Lateral
10-12-2022, 10:44 PM
He isn't ready to sign with anybody yet, he's still rehabbing. But, that alone doesn't dispute your perception of his attitude, either.

He's just always seemed like a me first kind of player. I get it, most WRs are, and he would probably fall in line in Buffalo, but would he be OK with being the 3rd, 4th or even 5th option? Is he going to pout and throw tantrums if he doesn't get the ball?

These are all things he's done in the past.

YardRat
10-12-2022, 10:49 PM
Dunno, I have the same concerns you do. I think a lot of pro-OBJers are convinced Von Miller can keep him in check. I'm not so sure about that.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2022, 12:19 AM
Why?

More weapons for Josh. Also makes the weapons he already has better.

I'll value his teammates opinion more.

kgun12
10-13-2022, 12:21 AM
Dunno, I have the same concerns you do. I think a lot of pro-OBJers are convinced Von Miller can keep him in check. I'm not so sure about that.

He gave a list of teams he would consider playing for. I’m not sure I want him but if he has anything left I know I don’t want him on any of these other teams!

Here’s his list:
Chiefs
Packers
Rams
Bills
Ravens

Kenny
10-13-2022, 01:23 AM
He gave a list of teams he would consider playing for. I’m not sure I want him but if he has anything left I know I don’t want him on any of these other teams!

Here’s his list:
Chiefs
Packers
Rams
Bills
Ravens

Interesting. Can't see the Ravens making this move - I dont think their FO typically adds talent via trade or big FA spending, it's typically only via the draft. The Packers already have 2 very capable backs, so no way they do this.

Maybe the Chiefs, but after that TB game, Im not sure why they would think they need an upgrade at the RB position. So between those teams it kind of makes sense it's either the Bills (but does that mean we got Cook for nothing?) or Rams (which is exactly what they typically do).

Forward_Lateral
10-13-2022, 01:26 AM
Interesting. Can't see the Ravens making this move - I dont think their FO typically adds talent via trade or big FA spending, it's typically only via the draft. The Packers already have 2 very capable backs, so no way they do this.

Maybe the Chiefs, but after that TB game, Im not sure why they would think they need an upgrade at the RB position. So between those teams it kind of makes sense it's either the Bills (but does that mean we got Cook for nothing?) or Rams (which is exactly what they typically do).

The list he gave was for OBJ, not CM

Cali512
10-13-2022, 01:26 AM

Hes talking about Obj

Saratoga Slim
10-13-2022, 01:33 AM
I'm only interested in OBJ as a short term rental in the event either Diggs or Gabe Dave are facing late season injuries. Otherwise pass, doesn't seem like a culture fit.

kgun12
10-13-2022, 02:39 AM
The list he gave was for OBJ, not CM

I should have said OBJ!

Historian
10-13-2022, 02:54 AM

Scary that I'm starting to think like you.

Obviously the Bills can afford neither, but if given a choice between the two, I would rather have more depth at WR.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2022, 04:08 AM
Scary that I'm starting to think like you.

Obviously the Bills can afford neither, but if given a choice between the two, I would rather have more depth at WR.

Great minds think alike. We are getting old. I don't have another 50 years in me for the Bills to win a Super Bowl. I couldn't careless if OBJ had issues in Cleveland.

Like kgun said, it's also about keeping him away from your playoff competition.

mightysimi
10-13-2022, 04:21 AM
All his teammates say OBJ was an amazing teammate. The media says he is a Diva. They said the same about Diggs. I don't see how in a superbowl window, you don't try to acquire all the talent you can. If anyone wants on this train, it will be at the price and play time we say. I would love to have OBJ and McCaffrey if the numbers work out. None of these guys will be kept long term. Just for the run.

kgun12
10-13-2022, 04:24 AM
All his teammates say OBJ was an amazing teammate. The media says he is a Diva. They said the same about Diggs. I don't see how in a superbowl window, you don't try to acquire all the talent you can. If anyone wants on this train, it will be at the price and play time we say. I would love to have OBJ and McCaffrey if the numbers work out. None of these guys will be kept long term. Just for the run.

Good points!

Goobylal
10-13-2022, 04:33 AM
Looks like OBJ wants a payday. The Bills can't afford more than a minimum deal right now. Pass.

TacklingDummy
10-13-2022, 04:43 AM
Looks like OBJ wants a payday. The Bills can't afford more than a minimum deal right now. Pass.
OBJ should bet on himself like Lamar Jackson and Arron Judge have. Produce the last 2 months of the season and cash in.

Goobylal
10-13-2022, 04:53 AM
OBJ should bet on himself like Lamar Jackson and Arron Judge have. Produce the last 2 months of the season and cash in.

I agree. But he was talking about how the Rams low-balled him.

mightysimi
10-13-2022, 04:57 AM

He is coming off a major injury in the superbowl. He won't be getting a payday. His best chance of getting one is being on a winning team, with his head down, putting up stats. The only 2 teams that offer OBJ a chance to win and put up stats are the Bills and Chiefs. Maybe in Tampa but I don't know they are the same team.

notacon
10-13-2022, 05:06 AM
Why?

That was said abut Stefon Diggs before he came to Buffalo too.

mightysimi
10-13-2022, 05:16 AM
Neither will be here long term. We do have the ability to switch bonuses to signing and get some cap space. We would be kicking the problem down the road but I would watch Josh play with 21 UDFA's for 1 superbowl win.

notacon
10-13-2022, 05:27 AM
McAfferey might be the most over-rated offensive player in the league. Jalen Ramsey probably is on defense...or T.Diggs.

:rofl: The “most over-rated”?!?!?! I doubt that. Right now, that mantle may belong to Russel Wilson.

And I also believe the idea that McCaffrey is over-rated at all is not supported by reality.

Same with Trevon Diggs. I would LOVE to have T. Diggs on the Bills.

Jalen Ramsey is still considered one of the best CB’s in the NFL. Absolutely top 10.

Your dissing of elite (in the case of T. Diggs....very good) players is quite silly.

notacon
10-13-2022, 05:41 AM

The “diva” and bad teammate in Cleveland was NOT OBJ...it was Baker Mayfield.

By all accounts (and in public) he acts like a whiney child who thinks he is a god, and thinks he has much more skill than he actually has. He’s now a bona fide 1st overall pick BUST.

This story tells it the way it is....

Baker Mayfield was viewed as childish and immature by Browns and his behavior divided locker room, per report (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-week-6-picks-bills-avenge-playoff-heartbreak-vs-chiefs-eagles-survive-cowboys-to-stay-perfect/)

OBJ, on the other hand, is one of the most skilled WR in the NFL (when he’s healthy).

And teammates of OBJ in Cleveland were wiling to go on the record with their thoughts about OBJ....

John Johnson III believes majority of Browns locker room would love to have Odell Beckham Jr. back: ‘Flat out’ (https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/john-johnson-iii-believes-majority-of-brown-locker-room-would-love-to-have-odell-beckham-jr-back-in-building-flat-out.html)

Browns safety John Johnson III said on Thursday he would welcome Odell Beckham Jr. back and believes many in the locker room would do the same.

“I feel like the majority of this locker room would love to have him in this building. Flat out,” Johnson said on Thursday, the second day in a row Beckham was excused from practice (https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/odell-beckham-jr-has-been-excused-from-practice-for-a-second-straight-day-and-its-still-likely-hes-played-his-last-ball-for-the-browns-sources-say.html) as the Browns and the star wide receiver figure out their next move.

If Von Miller vouches for OBJ, who are we to question that???

Forward_Lateral
10-13-2022, 05:46 AM
That was said abut Stefon Diggs before he came to Buffalo too.
Fair enough

notacon
10-13-2022, 06:06 AM
Fair enough

BUT, there is no doubt that OBJ brings....let’s say....drama....to a team. Much of it promoted by the media that always love drama.

mightysimi
10-13-2022, 06:14 AM
CM has shown in the past to get 1000 yards rushing and receiving in one season. He has no guaranteed money past this year. If we can get him for a reasonable ask (3rd or lower) I don't see how having him be on the team instead of Moss is a bad thing. Still averages around 4.5 yards per carry and is down this year to 7.2 yards per reception but I bet Baker is on the low side of depth of target where Josh is the opposite.

notacon
10-13-2022, 06:23 AM
CM has shown in the past to get 1000 yards rushing and receiving in one season. He has no guaranteed money past this year. If we can get him for a reasonable ask (3rd or lower) I don't see how having him be on the team instead of Moss is a bad thing. Still averages around 4.5 yards per carry and is down this year to 7.2 yards per reception but I bet Baker is on the low side of depth of target where Josh is the opposite.
As usual this time of year, there is speculation of “trade proposals” from the media. This from ESPN’s Bill Barnwell talked about both the McCaffrey to Bills idea, and, more interestingly, a proposed trade for another high profile RB.

NFL trade deadline proposals for 2022: 15 offers for players (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34782045/nfl-trade-deadline-proposals-2022-15-potential-offers-saquon-barkley-mitch-trubisky-david-montgomery)

A slightly sexier rumor making the rounds this week suggests the Bills could trade for Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3117251/christian-mccaffrey). There should be no surprise when the Bills are linked to any Panthers player, given how often Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane returns to add players from his former organization. McCaffrey seems entirely superfluous for a Panthers team going nowhere, while the Bills could use him as a valuable target in their passing attack. On some level, yes, this deal makes sense

But ... I'm not sure I buy it. For one, the Panthers really aren't in a position to alienate their fans any further. Carolina owner David Tepper just fired Matt Rhule (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34768697/carolina-panthers-fire-coach-matt-rhule-1-4-start) after a "home" game where the crowd was mostly 49ers fans. There will be a time where the Panthers move on from McCaffrey and his contract, but if they do add a quarterback in the first round of the draft next year, the veteran would be a reliable safety valve for a developing young passer.

We haven't seen the Bills make significant investments at running back since coach Sean McDermott arrived in town. Buffalo wanted to add a back this offseason and nearly signed J.D. McKissic (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33584759/jd-mckissic-flipped-back-washington-commanders-unfinished-business), but it eventually drafted James Cook (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4379399/james-cook)with a second-round pick -- draft capital that suggests the team's brain trust sees him as a future starter.

It's also difficult to imagine the Bills being able to afford the $12 million that McCaffrey is owed in 2023, meaning they would either need to convince him to take a pay cut or move on from the veteran back after one season in town. I don't see them trading meaningful draft capital to make that sort of move, and having already restructured his deal, the Panthers wouldn't save much money in 2022 by dealing CMC. What about another prominent running back, though?

A Giant addition to the Buffalo running attack

Bills (https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills) get: RB Saquon Barkley (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3929630/saquon-barkley), 2023 seventh-round pick
Giants (https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants) get: RB Zack Moss (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4035676/zack-moss), 2023 second-round pick

Barkley makes more sense for the Bills than McCaffrey. As a more physical runner, he would do a better job of punishing teams who want to play light boxes and two-high alignments to avoid giving up big plays to quarterback Josh Allen (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3918298/josh-allen). Barkley is a free agent after the season, which also plays in Buffalo's favor, since it would likely recoup a compensatory pick for him if he leaves in free agency. The Bills would be renting Barkley for a second-rounder before landing what would likely be a fourth-round pick in 2024.

It would be difficult for the 4-1 Giants to trade Barkley, who has rushed for 533 yards as the focal point of their offense this season. Coach Brian Daboll and GM Joe Schoen (both of whom just joined the organization from these very Bills) aren't naive to the situation at hand, though. This is a year where the Giants are doing their final evaluation of quarterback Daniel Jones (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3917792/daniel-jones) and fixing their cap situation. They're two years and a new quarterback away from truly competing. And they'll also likely be shopping in free agency this offseason, meaning they're less likely to receive a compensatory pick for Barkley than the Bills would.

The Giants could franchise Barkley after the season, but it would be tough for a rebuilding team to justify giving the oft-injured back a significant extension as he exits his rookie deal. If they're going to lose Barkley after the season, it's better to trade him now and get a significant pick (and a flyer on Moss) in return. I wouldn't want to listen to sports radio in New York the morning after this trade happens, though.

I suspect that neither RB is going to be traded (before the trade deadline this year)....but this has some pretty interesting spin on the situation for the Bills.

mightysimi
10-13-2022, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't mind Jacobs out of LV either. Giants aren't trading the only thing that has them 4-1.

mightysimi
10-13-2022, 07:38 AM
BUT, there is no doubt that OBJ brings....let’s say....drama....to a team. Much of it promoted by the media that always love drama.
I would say it is overblown but he isn't without fault. I'm quite confident his dad didn't leak that video without an OK.

Goobylal
10-13-2022, 08:18 AM
As I said before, I'm not worried in the least about OBJ causing problems for the handful of games he'd be with the Bills. Mainly because the Bills will be in the playoffs (he wouldn't join them otherwise) and if they lose, the season is over anyway and he's gone next year.

The questions are whether he'll be healthy in time for the playoffs and how much is he looking for?

Ingtar33
10-13-2022, 11:21 AM
as much as I'd love Barkley on a one year rental, the Giants starting the year 4-1 guarantees he doesn't get traded; one of the biggest challenges facing a bad team is to create a winning culture. it's why so many hot shot coaches fail hard when they take over bad teams, and why the true legends always seem to succeed (see bill parcels turning around every team he touched).

Schoen and Daboll have managed to change the atmosphere around the giants in just 5 weeks. I don't' see them sabotaging it. Part of what has made McD and Beane so successful in buffalo is they do whatever they can to keep the guys who run through walls for them financially happy. Unless Barkley is some sort of locker-room problem I just don't' see the Giants moving on from him. You have to reward your guys who perform and buy in, else your locker room will dissolve into a bunch of guys making "career choices" on the field.

bad teams sell high performing good locker room guys, I suspect if the Gman make the playoffs, both Barkley and Daniel Jones will get big contracts this off season. I've been impressed by the improvement Jones is making week by week. He's already at "serviceable" starter, he keeps this up and Daboll might have an upper tier guy on his hands.

YardRat
10-13-2022, 11:36 AM
:rofl: The “most over-rated”?!?!?! I doubt that. Right now, that mantle may belong to Russel Wilson.

And I also believe the idea that McCaffrey is over-rated at all is not supported by reality.

Same with Trevon Diggs. I would LOVE to have T. Diggs on the Bills.

Jalen Ramsey is still considered one of the best CB’s in the NFL. Absolutely top 10.

Your dissing of elite (in the case of T. Diggs....very good) players is quite silly.

Yeah, Wilson should be in the conversation.

Diggs has more plays made against him than he makes, and Ramsey is burnt toast more often than not. Pass on both, because they are over-rated.

Novacane
10-13-2022, 12:04 PM
I trust Von that OBJ would be a good teammate. I just don't think he'll be very effective coming off that injury.

Goobylal
10-13-2022, 02:01 PM
as much as I'd love Barkley on a one year rental, the Giants starting the year 4-1 guarantees he doesn't get traded; one of the biggest challenges facing a bad team is to create a winning culture. it's why so many hot shot coaches fail hard when they take over bad teams, and why the true legends always seem to succeed (see bill parcels turning around every team he touched).

Schoen and Daboll have managed to change the atmosphere around the giants in just 5 weeks. I don't' see them sabotaging it. Part of what has made McD and Beane so successful in buffalo is they do whatever they can to keep the guys who run through walls for them financially happy. Unless Barkley is some sort of locker-room problem I just don't' see the Giants moving on from him. You have to reward your guys who perform and buy in, else your locker room will dissolve into a bunch of guys making "career choices" on the field.

bad teams sell high performing good locker room guys, I suspect if the Gman make the playoffs, both Barkley and Daniel Jones will get big contracts this off season. I've been impressed by the improvement Jones is making week by week. He's already at "serviceable" starter, he keeps this up and Daboll might have an upper tier guy on his hands.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Barkley. This is his 5th season in a mostly injury-marred career and he's an UFA next year. How much do they spend to retain him? Do they franchise him?

TacklingDummy
10-13-2022, 02:42 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do with Barkley. This is his 5th season in a mostly injury-marred career and he's an UFA next year. How much do they spend to retain him? Do they franchise him?

Franchise him. Whats the tag number for a RB, $10 million?

Goobylal
10-13-2022, 03:42 PM
Franchise him. Whats the tag number for a RB, $10 million?

Probably about there.

DraftBoy
10-13-2022, 09:58 PM

I’m under no allusions that nobody is going to be keep OBJ in check. I could care less about that. Where I pushed back was on the suggestion that the mere awesome sauce of Josh was going to somehow magically keep him in check.

Skooby
10-14-2022, 12:41 AM
I’m under no allusions that nobody is going to be keep OBJ in check. I could care less about that. Where I pushed back was on the suggestion that the mere awesome sauce of Josh was going to somehow magically keep him in check.

Diggs works so closely with Josh so I’d assume OBJ if he’s smart would as well. Josh literally puts himself on the line to win, he really does whatever it takes. Players who perform like that get support from their teammates, you know being a warrior. OBJ would be the brightest star next to a supernova, just like Diggs now. We have no real RB that shines, everyone is decent. 3 decent RB & a great FB, not quite enough to focus a running on now is it ?

P.S. Illusions.

YardRat
10-14-2022, 12:42 AM

Yeah I don't disagree.

As far as CMC, I'd rather give Duke Johnson an opportunity before giving up assets for another RB.

Night Train
10-14-2022, 01:05 AM
Yeah I don't disagree.
As far as CMC, I'd rather give Duke Johnson an opportunity before giving up assets for another RB.

In addition, I'm sure the Bills always keep an eye on other teams practice squads if they feel the need to make a move.

They aren't getting much of anything out of Moss. But pretending the Bills OL is good in the run game is lying to oneself.

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2022, 01:28 AM
Yeah I don't disagree.

It concerns me a bit, that Duke can't crack the roster. Surely he's more useful than Moss or even Taiwan Jones. I'm 99% sure Duke can play special teams. Watching that kick bounce off of Taiwan's head last week was enough for me to never want to see him again

Kenny
10-14-2022, 01:31 AM
But pretending the Bills OL is good in the run game is lying to oneself.
Agreed, but our unit is infinitely better than Carolina's OL - which is a complete cluster ****. And despite that, McCaffrey is putting up some decent stats.

Goobylal
10-14-2022, 02:06 AM
It concerns me a bit, that Duke can't crack the roster. Surely he's more useful than Moss or even Taiwan Jones. I'm 99% sure Duke can play special teams. Watching that kick bounce off of Taiwan's head last week was enough for me to never want to see him again

Jones is mostly on the team for his ST's gunner prowess.

notacon
10-14-2022, 04:41 AM
Yeah, Wilson should be in the conversation.

Diggs has more plays made against him than he makes, and Ramsey is burnt toast more often than not. Pass on both, because they are over-rated.
Not this year for Diggs. And Ramsey is NOT "burnt toast more often than not”.

BTW....your source of grading players belies what you just wrote.

Diggs is graded much higher than the dismally stupid ranking in the 80’s last year (and him getting All-Pro honors proves that was deeply flawed baloney) and is now up to #27. Or are you going to smear All-Pro honors because it shows your opinion is not credible???

Jalen Ramsey is ranked #4 of 105 CBs.

They are not overrated. How silly.

notacon
10-14-2022, 05:04 AM

I do not think McCaffrey OR Barkley will be traded this year. Does not make much sense for Carolina or the Giants.

But speculating about it is what fans, and the whole football world, loves to do.

With Daboll and Schoen being from the Bills “organizational tree”, a lot of us Bills fans will be rooting for them to do well. Unless and until we ever meet in the Super Bowl.

I don’t think that Jones will be offered a “big contract” this off season. He is like Tyrod Taylor (funny enough he is on the Giants roster) leading the Bills to the playoffs in 2017. “Serviceable" QB.

Daboll is going to want to try and duplicate what he did on Buffalo, molding a raw talent into an elite QB. Trading Barkley for some draft capital could help Schoen accomplish that goal.

In 2023, before the draft, if some team offered a 2023 1st round pick (or even a 2nd and a six for example) for Barkley, it would very hard to pass up. In today’s NFL a “serviceable QB” is the surest way to consistent mediocrity.

Skooby
10-14-2022, 05:46 AM
The way the Bills have been drafting, giving up any asset before the 6th round might cost us dearly. Beane has been hitting it out of the park.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-14-2022, 07:55 AM
The way the Bills have been drafting, giving up any asset before the 6th round might cost us dearly. Beane has been hitting it out of the park.
Except at RB - a 2nd and 2 3rd picks invested in past 3 years, none of them seem to hit so far (I give Cook one more year though).

Interior Lineman (both offense and defense) warrants another mention. Teams start later round picks at Guard position routinely. Beane traded away Teller and has not found any cheap (drafted players) quality guys there. The D line interior he simply hasn't tried. Oliver is the only one we drafted. He is good to great but not consistently great. Notice when Von came to Buffalo he mentioned he always had someone in the middle in his career in the past and he mentioned Ed Oliver then. Well he no longer talks about Oliver in particular any more - hopefully just because of the injury. I'm telling you, guys like Von Miller is very self aware who he is. He has a T-shirt with Allen, Diggs, and him in one of the press conferences promoting Beane. Why these 3? Because he thinks these are the likely 3 Hall of Fame candidates on this team right now.

On a separate subject, I said before every team goes to the big dance and wins superbowl has some Hall of Fame players (or guys playing at hall of Fame level, even though they are not doing that year after year). This Bills team now have 3 mentioned above. Compared to the measuring stick like Chiefs, we are even. They have Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones. Hills would be a borderline one, but he's gone.

notacon
10-14-2022, 07:59 AM

Reminder of the draft picks that Beane’s organization (it takes a village to draft well) have done since 2018 (not including 2022 draft...better to wait a year for better evaluation) between rounds 3 and 7....

2018:
Round 3, pick #32, 96th overall - Harrison Phillips DT - starting NT in Minnesota)
Round 4, pick #21, 121st overall - Taron Johnson DB - starting nickel CB, key defensive player
Round 5, pick #17, 154th overall - Siran Neal DB - solid backup & core special teams player
Round 5, pick #29, 166th overall - Wyatt Teller G - starting RG in Cleveland - Pro Bowler and two time 2nd team All-Pro
Round 6, pick #13, 187th overall - Ray-Ray McCloud WR - backup WR and #1 PR & KR in San Fran

2019:
Round 3, pick #10, 74th overall - Devin Singletary RB - starter and #1 RB
Round 3, pick #32, 96th overall - Dawson Knox TE - starter and #1 TE - an emerging star
Round 6, pick #8, 181st overall - Jaquan Johnson DB - solid backup S
Round 8, pick #14, 2228th overall - Tommy Sweeney TE - solid backup

2020:
Round 3, pick #22, 86th overall - Zack Moss RB - decent backup
Round 4, pick #22, 128th overall - Gabe Davis WR - starter and #2 WR - emerging superstar
Round 6, pick #9, 188th overall - Tyler Bass K - solid, reliable kicker
Round 6, pick #28, 207th overall - Isaiah Hodgins WR - talented backup with lots of potential
Round 7, pick #25, 239th overall - Dane Jackson DB - Starting CB replacing Tre’ White very competently

2021:
Round 3, pick #29, 93rd overall - Spencer Brown T - solid starter
Round 5, pick #17, 161st overall - Tommy Doyle T - emerging solid backup
Round 6, pick #19, 203rd overall - Marquez Stevenson WR - lots of potential
Round 6, pick #28, 212th overall - Damar Hamlin DB - starting S, taking place of injured Micah Hyde
Round 6, pick #29, 213th overall - Rachad Wildgoose DB - starting CB in Washington

That is some serous “hitting it out of the park” expertise.

Skooby
10-14-2022, 11:33 AM
Reminder of the draft picks that Beane’s organization (it takes a village to draft well) have done since 2018 (not including 2022 draft...better to wait a year for better evaluation) between rounds 3 and 7....

2018:
Round 3, pick #32, 96th overall - Harrison Phillips DT - starting NT in Minnesota)
Round 4, pick #21, 121st overall - Taron Johnson DB - starting nickel CB, key defensive player
Round 5, pick #17, 154th overall - Siran Neal DB - solid backup & core special teams player
Round 5, pick #29, 166th overall - Wyatt Teller G - starting RG in Cleveland - Pro Bowler and two time 2nd team All-Pro
Round 6, pick #13, 187th overall - Ray-Ray McCloud WR - backup WR and #1 PR & KR in San Fran

2019:
Round 3, pick #10, 74th overall - Devin Singletary RB - starter and #1 RB
Round 3, pick #32, 96th overall - Dawson Knox TE - starter and #1 TE - an emerging star
Round 6, pick #8, 181st overall - Jaquan Johnson DB - solid backup S
Round 8, pick #14, 2228th overall - Tommy Sweeney TE - solid backup

2020:
Round 3, pick #22, 86th overall - Zack Moss RB - decent backup
Round 4, pick #22, 128th overall - Gabe Davis WR - starter and #2 WR - emerging superstar
Round 6, pick #9, 188th overall - Tyler Bass K - solid, reliable kicker
Round 6, pick #28, 207th overall - Isaiah Hodgins WR - talented backup with lots of potential
Round 7, pick #25, 239th overall - Dane Jackson DB - Starting CB replacing Tre’ White very competently

2021:
Round 3, pick #29, 93rd overall - Spencer Brown T - solid starter
Round 5, pick #17, 161st overall - Tommy Doyle T - emerging solid backup
Round 6, pick #19, 203rd overall - Marquez Stevenson WR - lots of potential
Round 6, pick #28, 212th overall - Damar Hamlin DB - starting S, taking place of injured Micah Hyde
Round 6, pick #29, 213th overall - Rachad Wildgoose DB - starting CB in Washington

2022 -K oops, lol.

Woodman
10-14-2022, 12:30 PM

We're just getting started.

Always! :gobills:

Cntrygal
10-15-2022, 09:18 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Carolina Panthers are listening to other teams about a potential trade for star running back Christian McCaffrey, although a deal might not be easy to complete, league sources tell ESPN.<a href="https://t.co/96y8r4AiCK">https://t.co/96y8r4AiCK</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1581384211293818882?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Woodman
10-15-2022, 09:56 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/15/panthers-put-out-word-theyre-willing-to-trade-christian-mccaffrey/

Trading McCaffrey won’t be a problem from a salary cap perspective. McCaffrey’s salary this year is only $1.035 million, so every team in the league could trade for him without having to make any significant salary cap moves. Where it gets interesting is in 2023, when McCaffrey has a non-guaranteed salary of $11.8 million. That’s an awful lot to pay any running back, especially one who has been significantly limited by injuries in recent years, but if a team thinks McCaffrey can help this year, trading for him now and worrying about next year’s salary next year could make sense.

notacon
10-15-2022, 12:21 PM
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOlsibGlua3RyLmVlIiwidHIuZWUiLCJ0ZXJyYS5jb20uYnIiLCJ3d3cubGlua3RyLmVlIiwid3d3LnRyLmVlIiwid3d3LnRlcnJhLmNvbS5iciJdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2hvcml6b25fdGltZWxpbmVfMTIwMzQiOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidHJlYXRtZW50IiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd190d2VldF9lZGl0X2JhY2tlbmQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3JlZnNyY19zZXNzaW9uIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19jaGluX3BpbGxzXzE0NzQxIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6ImNvbG9yX2ljb25zIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0 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 9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mcm9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1581384211293818882&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com%2Ffanzone%2Fshowthread.php%2F261368-RB-Christian-McCaffrey%3Fp%3D4968276&sessionId=423026b45f20be21ade69ddd31902fce253d971d&theme=light&widgetsVersion=1c23387b1f70c%3A1664388199485&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1581384211293818882" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 701px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is really a “DUH” article. Yeah....they will be interested in trading him “IF” the offer is big enough.

The next paragraphs after the teaser in the tweet was this...

The Panthers rebuffed at least two teams' inquiries into trading for McCaffrey last week and will continue to reject overtures they don't consider significant offers, according to sources.

Listening hardly means the team is dealing McCaffrey. If the Panthers do not receive what they feel is a real offer -- with a high draft pick or multiple picks -- they are adamant that they will hold on to McCaffrey past the NFL's Nov. 1 trade deadline, sources told ESPN.

There may be some teams that will cough up enough to move CMC....who knows??? A team like Buffalo, with the way they have built this team and with the impending explosion of Josh Allen’s cap number, it make little sense to give up a “high draft pick” or worse yet, “multiple draft picks” to get a 10 game rental.

THE way for a team in Buffalo’s situation, is to use their draft picks for relatively cheap contracts for 4 to 5 years, to keep the cap within reach while fielding a perennial Super Bowl contender.

The Bills already have an almost unstoppable offense...obtaining a player like CMC jut seems like an extravagance that makes little sense.

We’ll know a lot more after Sunday’s game. Revamping the D-line and signing Von Miller was done to beat KC. That’s it. Beating KC has nothing to do with making the offense, and especially the RB running game, more effective.
<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.7dae38096d06923d683a2a807172322a.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

Skooby
10-15-2022, 02:51 PM
Bills aren’t going to hire this oft injured player & pay him like Diggs, zero chance of him coming to Buffalo now. Don’t waste time even thinking about it:

Former #Rams WR Odell Beckham Jr. Wants #Cowboys Contract Like Michael Gallup #NFLRumors Gallup signed a 5yr-$62.5M deal.

TacklingDummy
10-16-2022, 01:18 AM
Bills aren’t going to hire this oft injured player & pay him like Diggs, zero chance of him coming to Buffalo now. Don’t waste time even thinking about it:

Former #Rams WR Odell Beckham Jr. Wants #Cowboys Contract Like Michael Gallup #NFLRumors Gallup signed a 5yr-$62.5M deal.

If OBJ is healthy that contract is cheap.

Goobylal
10-16-2022, 02:10 AM
If OBJ is healthy that contract is cheap.

That's a big "if" and won't be known until after he comes back and plays well. If he comes back this year, no ones offering him anything more than the minimum.

Albany,n.y.
10-16-2022, 02:57 AM

I'd rather save the $ for Gabe Davis than giving Odell a 5 year deal. The only way to sign Beckham is for 2022 only, get another ring & leave.

DraftBoy
10-16-2022, 03:04 AM
As much fun as this is, Cam Akers is actually on the trade block.

While he doesn’t solve the short yardage issue, there is no question that he would be a talent upgrade.

notacon
10-16-2022, 03:49 AM
The best way to improve the running game and the ensure a Super Bowl win this year, is not to overpay for a fragile RB, it’s to trade for a solid guard.

Crisis
10-16-2022, 03:56 AM
As much fun as this is, Cam Akers is actually on the trade block.

While he doesn’t solve the short yardage issue, there is no question that he would be a talent upgrade.

I mean there's absolutely a question off a guy coming off an Achilles who has looked horrible so far.

He'd be another JAG in the Singletary/Moss/Cook carousel.

DraftBoy
10-16-2022, 04:08 AM
I mean there's absolutely a question off a guy coming off an Achilles who has looked horrible so far.

He'd be another JAG in the Singletary/Moss/Cook carousel.

Not worried about this year with Akers. It is what is is.

You pickup Akers for a long-term solution, not for much this year. Achilles was always going to take 1 year plus to recover fully.

Now you get him at a potential double discount of coming off any injury and in a fight with his head coach.

DraftBoy
10-16-2022, 04:44 AM
Panthers will only trade Mccaffery for a package including a first round pick per FOX.

Canadian'eh!
10-16-2022, 04:52 AM
Panthers will only trade Mccaffery for a package including a first round pick per FOX.
I believe they said "MULTIPLE 1sts" lol

Ingtar33
10-16-2022, 05:44 AM

yeah, panthers are out of thier ****** minds. multiple first, i could maybe see the Giants ask that for Barkley or the Browns for Chubb, but McCaffery? they're smoking something very mind altering in Carolina. He's a one year rental for the most part, they'll be lucky to get a single second rounder for him.

Forward_Lateral
10-16-2022, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't give 1 first, let alone "multiple". Let some other dumb team over-pay.

Woodman
10-18-2022, 01:35 AM
The rent is just too damn high.

Bill Cody
10-18-2022, 02:13 AM

lol

notacon
10-18-2022, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't give 1 first, let alone "multiple". Let some other dumb team over-pay.

I suspect that no team is that dumb.

But, hey, Carolina would not pass up an offer from a dumb team.

I believe the the trade talk concerning McCaffrey is all smoke & mirrors. They would be dumb to move him now. He is going to be critical when they draft a young QB next year and have to throw him to the wolves right away because Darnold and Mayfield both suck.

They have some defensive players that they can trade to try and stack up draft picks. They might not even have to do that as they have a great chance of getting the #1 pick in 2023 all on their own. As of today, they have the 2023 #1 pick secured. :rolleyes:

They probably will have a pick in the top 3 or 4.

Forward_Lateral
10-18-2022, 08:01 AM

I believe the the trade talk concerning McCaffrey is all smoke & mirrors. They would be dumb to move him now. He is going to be critical when they draft a young QB next year and have to throw him to the wolves right away because Darnold and Mayfield both suck.

They have some defensive players that they can trade to try and stack up draft picks. They might not even have to do that as they have a great chance of getting the #1 pick in 2023 all on their own. As of today, they have the 2023 #1 pick secured. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't give too much credit to every NFL team. There's always at least one GM who thinks he's smarter than everyone and has to prove it.

notacon
10-18-2022, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't give too much credit to every NFL team. There's always at least one GM who thinks he's smarter than everyone and has to prove it.

Yeah....that’s why I used the word “suspect”.

Thankfully, we only have two more weeks to see definitively.

sukie
10-18-2022, 09:41 AM

I agree. Smoke and mirrors with a caveat. If someone is willing to part with a boat load of draft capital for a guy who has played 10 games last 2 seasons and nothing awesome this year… sure a couple of rushing games 102 & 108… but meh receiving in those games.

Historian
10-18-2022, 09:50 AM
Let some other dumb team over-pay.

:squish:

Forward_Lateral
10-18-2022, 10:55 PM

I could see those morons give up multiple firsts.

Woodman
10-19-2022, 03:12 AM

Mortgage any and all future hopes and dreams .... that works. :D

Skooby
10-19-2022, 04:19 AM
If they think they'll get a first rounder for CMC, they're nuts. There's like 12 FA RB, so there's goes the market. The guy was recently injured, for a RB who touches the ball all the time this is not good.

Woodman
10-19-2022, 04:28 AM
If they think they'll get a first rounder for CMC, they're nuts. There's like 12 FA RB, so there's goes the market. The guy was recently injured, for a RB who touches the ball all the time this is not good.

:10:

Sr1racha
10-19-2022, 02:45 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm still hoping that the Giants finally turn back into a pumpkin so that we can rent out Saquon Barkley for the next few months.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-19-2022, 02:55 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm still hoping that the Giants finally turn back into a pumpkin so that we can rent out Saquon Barkley for the next few months.

Trade deadline is Nov 1, 12 days from now. and Giants is 5-1. At worst, they will be 5-3 by then. Unless Barkley tells them he's not re-signing with the Giants and Daboll wants to get as much asset as possible for draftig a QB next year ...

Skooby
10-19-2022, 04:56 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/10/bills-remain-interested-in-christian-mccaffrey-latest-on-panthers-rb

YardRat
10-19-2022, 10:15 PM
Just go to the Rams or 49ers already, so we can bury this topic.

TacklingDummy
10-19-2022, 11:28 PM

They can’t. They will need to draft a QB next year in the 1st.

OpIv37
10-20-2022, 01:27 AM

Isn't it nice to not be that team anymore?

But as far as the topic at hand: I think they're setting the market high hoping to get offers that are worth more than his value. He's probably worth 2 2nd rounders. They say they want multiple firsts, but they're really just hoping someone will offer a 1st and a 2nd because they know that's more than his value. If no one does, they keep him.

imbondz
10-20-2022, 02:10 AM
It’s time to buy a championship at any cost necessary. Bring in everyone who can help. Lmao.

notacon
10-20-2022, 05:41 AM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/10/bills-remain-interested-in-christian-mccaffrey-latest-on-panthers-rb

These types of “rumors” coming from a site that is called “profootballrumors” have slightly more value than what we write here.

I read the Washigton Post article they cite (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/10/19/new-york-giants-brian-daboll-daniel-jones/) saying that it is a “near certainty” that McCaffrey will be traded before the deadline, bit that is NOT based on any source within the Carolina organization.....and it is truncated which changes the whole meaning.

It is simply what the WRITER opines SHOULD be done.

Maybe he gets traded, maybe not. If CAR gets an offer for a first round pick (they supposedly are looking for more than that...and THAT is coming from “sources” within the team so it has more credibility than the “near certainty” a deal is going to get done conjured up in a writers' mind), they would be dumb not to take it.

I have strong doubts that a team will offer that. And the tell is what Jason La Canfora provides as a reason why he thinks it is a “near certainty” with this gem, in the sentence AFTER the “near certainty” meme....

“I’d put it at a near certainty at this point. With his injury history, the Panthers should do it as soon as possible, with the deadline in two weeks."

Uhhhhh.....if Carolina should “do it as soon as possible” because of his “injury history”....that is the SAME reason why it would be dumb for most teams (but not all...there are always a team that makes dumb decisions for various reasons.....addressing fan discontent is one) to give up much in a trade.

Now, if a credible sports writer, let’s say a Carolina beat writer from a credible publication like The Athletic or a local Carolina newspaper that covers the Panthers regularly, in their communication with “insiders” from the organization report what they are hearing......that’s a different thing altogether.

Thankfully, we have only 12 more days of this kind of speculation.

notacon
10-20-2022, 05:59 AM
Trade deadline is Nov 1, 12 days from now. and Giants is 5-1. At worst, they will be 5-3 by then. Unless Barkley tells them he's not re-signing with the Giants and Daboll wants to get as much asset as possible for draftig a QB next year ...
+1.

The Giants trading Barkley is actually more credible than McCaffrey.

BUT, I doubt the Giants will do it this year, while they are on a roll. It makes zero sense.

What DOES make sense, is to wait until next season, in order to pick up draft capital to move up and draft a QB. Jones is doing better this year, mainly (actually I would say 100%) because of Brain Daboll putting him in a position to succeed.

The Giants have a credible chance of making the playoff this year. But only with Barkley. What will hold them back is a QB.

At the very least, they will win enough games to push them further back in draft position.

The situation is very similar to the Bills in 2017. They had Tyrod Taylor (bless his heart), who everyone knew was not the long term answer, and the Bills’ future success was 100% dependent on getting a true franchise QB, and they went ahead and still made the playoffs and pushed them back to #21 in 2018 draft order.

They had to make TWO trades to get to #7 and get the guy they cherished. And they had to give up a well performing starter in Gordy Glenn when they traded him and the 185th overall to get the 12th and 187th overall.

Then they traded again packaging the 12th, 53rd & 56th (that’s one 1st round and TWO 2nd round picks) to get the 7th and 255th.

The Giants will be in similar situation in 2023, probably with a 1st round pick in the 20’s. These kinds of trades are much more likely in the off season, after teams know their draft positions and start evaluating where they are headed.

Either way, it would be out of character (and I think dumb) for the Bills to trade anything for RB’s. Especially after they just spent a 2nd rounder of Cook. They have to, and I believe WILL develop him.

THAT'S what the Bills organization does now....draft smart, and develop your draft picks.

notacon
10-20-2022, 06:02 AM
Isn't it nice to not be that team anymore?

But as far as the topic at hand: I think they're setting the market high hoping to get offers that are worth more than his value. He's probably worth 2 2nd rounders. They say they want multiple firsts, but they're really just hoping someone will offer a 1st and a 2nd because they know that's more than his value. If no one does, they keep him.

If the Bills traded just two second round picks (much less a 1st AND a 2nd) for CMC it should make our collective heads explode.

He’s not worth it. And that would be for only a “rental” because there is no way they can afford his cap hits in 2023 and beyond.

OpIv37
10-20-2022, 06:30 AM
If the Bills traded just two second round picks (much less a 1st AND a 2nd) for CMC it should make our collective heads explode.

He’s not worth it. And that would be for only a “rental” because there is no way they can afford his cap hits in 2023 and beyond.

Yeah, if they give up draft assets for him, it basically means they are going for a SB win this year or not at all.

We are going to lose guys to age and FA/cap casualties. That's just the nature of the business these days. We can't bring back 21 starters a year like the 90's teams did. The only way to stay good is to draft well, and that's hard to do if you trade away high draft picks for a 3 month rent-a-player.

If his contract was more reasonable after this season and there was a good chance we could keep him moving forward, you could probably convince me that he's worth a couple of 2nd's. But with his cap number, there's just no way we could keep him beyond this season.

Or, to put it another way, 2 second round picks are going to be more important for long term success than half a season of McCaffrey.

Skooby
10-20-2022, 03:39 PM
Holy overpay, what is SF thinking ?? They’re not going to pay him next season, hope they beat KC.

The #49ers trade a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th in 2023 and a 5th in 2024 for #Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey.

Woodman
10-20-2022, 03:45 PM
Holy overpay, what is SF thinking ?? They’re not going to pay him next season, hope they beat KC.

The #49ers trade a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th in 2023 and a 5th in 2024 for #Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey.

Holy crap .... that's all i got.

Woodman
10-20-2022, 03:48 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/20/panthers-trade-christian-mccaffrey-to-49ers/

Another Panthers players has escaped the sinking ship. This one didn’t have to get kicked off the sideline first.
Per multiple reports, Carolina has traded running back Christian McCaffrey (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/1184/christian-mccaffrey) to the 49ers, in exchange for draft picks.

It’s a homecoming of sorts for McCaffrey, who played college football at Stanford.
The move gives the 49ers a potential and versatile weapon for an offense that surely will make good use of him. And the aggressive move by the 49ers keeps McCaffrey from landing with another team, like the Rams.

Woodman
10-20-2022, 03:49 PM

If they do in fact beat KC it will all have been worth it.

FOR US!! :D

OpIv37
10-20-2022, 04:29 PM
If that’s true, good. Keep his ass out of the AFC and we didn’t overpay for him

TacklingDummy
10-20-2022, 04:44 PM
Just go to the Rams or 49ers already, so we can bury this topic.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Skooby
10-20-2022, 05:40 PM
If that’s true, good. Keep his ass out of the AFC and we didn’t overpay for him
We could make 2-3 star players out of that draft.

TheConsigliere
10-20-2022, 07:20 PM
San Francisco will send a second-, third- and fourth-round draft pick in the 2023 NFL Draft and a fifth-round pick in the 2024 Draft to the Panthers in exchange for McCaffrey.

OpIv37
10-21-2022, 01:17 AM
San Francisco will send a second-, third- and fourth-round draft pick in the 2023 NFL Draft and a fifth-round pick in the 2024 Draft to the Panthers in exchange for McCaffrey.

yikes. That's half their draft. I think that's a huge mistake for them.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-21-2022, 03:30 AM
Much better fit for SF than Buffalo. Deebo Samuels is a WR excels at playing RB. CMC is a RB who excels at playing WR, if he's still at his peak. It fits what Shanahan wants to on offense.

The Bills offense is about Allen throwing to WRs and Allen running the ball himself. I'm not quite liking the second part but it is what is right now.

notacon
10-21-2022, 05:32 AM
Much better fit for SF than Buffalo. Deebo Samuels is a WR excels at playing RB. CMC is a RB who excels at playing WR, if he's still at his peak. It fits what Shanahan wants to on offense.

The Bills offense is about Allen throwing to WRs and Allen running the ball himself. I'm not quite liking the second part but it is what is right now.

+1

SF has an anemic offense. The only dynamic player they have is Deebo. Brandon Aiyuk has got potential, but he is not burning up the league.

Jimmy G. is a limited QB and has done the best when paired with a good running game. Mostert was a good RB, but, like CMC he is injured way too much.

2017 - Knee injury in week and placed on IR in Nov.
2018 - fractured his forearm in week 9...out for season.
2020 - MCL sprain in week 2 - missed two games.....high ankle sprain in week 6 - placed on IR missed four games.....another high ankle sprain in week 15 - out for season.
2021 - Knee injury in week 1 - missed the rest of the season.

Now with Miami, he is playing regularly but in the Bills game he was a non-factor. 8 carries for 11 yards.

And now the trade for another injury prone RB????

What I was most surprised about was hearing that Kyle Shanahan’s family is extremely close the the McCaffrey’s. To the extent that Kyle Shanahan actually BABY SAT a young Christian McCaffrey.

I get SF's thinking. IF they get healthy, they have a very good defense, and with the plodding Jimmy G., they need a solid run game to try and go for SB this year.

They basically have sold out a good part of their future (after doing the same last year by trading all those picks for Trey Lance...and then...WHAT ELSE....he gets hurt early and is gone for the season) to try and get a SB win.

Maybe they will make it to the SB because of a relatively week NFC. Their schedule is not a cake walk. And the worst for them is that the EASY part of the schedule is done and they went only 3-3.

It remains to be seen if they can get past the Eagles. In any event, if they DO get to the SB, they will be no match for the Bills.....CMC on the team or not.

Ingtar33
10-21-2022, 06:18 AM
SF a team with a multi-year history of massive injury issues with their stars
+
McCaffery a player with a multi-year history of massive injury issues

looks like a match made in heaven.

Woodman
10-21-2022, 06:31 AM
SF a team with a multi-year history of massive injury issues with their stars
+
McCaffery a player with a multi-year history of massive injury issues

looks like a match made in heaven.

Love to see them pickoff the Chiefs :D

Goobylal
10-21-2022, 11:50 AM
Go SF! And the Bills can sign McCaffrey next off-season...

Mace
10-21-2022, 11:57 AM

No. Draft a guy.

swiper
10-21-2022, 12:15 PM
McAffery is garbage. Good thing Bills stayed away.

Stand tall Mr. Beane.

swiper
10-21-2022, 12:17 PM

No. No. And No. That is the dumbest idea ever. Draft a guy.

(https://bestanimations.com/Signs&Shapes/Hearts/animatedheart-13.gifMace).

notacon
10-21-2022, 12:33 PM

Why in the world would the Bills pay a fragile RB somewhere around $10M+ a year???

Skooby
10-21-2022, 04:37 PM
We can’t draft a RB 32nd next draft so just forget that idea.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-21-2022, 11:01 PM
No. No. And No. That is the dumbest idea ever. Draft a guy.

(https://bestanimations.com/Signs&Shapes/Hearts/animatedheart-13.gifMace).

Although I agree that we should have avoided CMC, I would argue that the above is one of beanes greatest weaknesses. He doesn’t seem to have the ‘feel’ for drafting the right running back. Which is why he seemingly takes a new one every year

notacon
10-22-2022, 05:08 AM
We can’t draft a RB 32nd next draft so just forget that idea.

Why not??? Breece Hall, who is going to be a superstar, was drafted #36 overall.

But, it’s pretty clear that they probably won’t draft a RB in the 1st round next year. Best to concentrate on interior O-line and/or safety.

Woodman
10-22-2022, 05:16 AM
Why not??? Breece Hall, who is going to be a superstar, was drafted #36 overall.

But, it’s pretty clear that they probably won’t draft a RB in the 1st round next year. Best to concentrate on interior O-line and/or safety.

I want the best Center we can get.

Safety is also a top priority for next season.

Skooby
10-22-2022, 01:11 PM

The 32nd pick was a sign of things to come, the not being able to draft a RB was a joke (because we draft one every year).

Woodman
10-24-2022, 05:06 AM
The 32nd pick was a sign of things to come, the not being able to draft a RB was a joke (because we draft one every year).

Yes we do.

We still have the need.

Night Train
10-24-2022, 05:10 AM
San Fran looked pathetic yesterday. Buyers remorse ? QB is their problem.

notacon
10-24-2022, 05:29 AM
San Fran looked pathetic yesterday. Buyers remorse ? QB is their problem.

+1

Of course QB is their problem.

They traded three freakin’s first round picks last year (and a third rounder) to replace Jimmy G.

I watched most of the replay on NFLN of the 49ers SB loss. Jimmy G. was why they lost that game.

Emanuel Sanders has his guy beat badly for a possible game wining TD. It was pathetic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/phDx7XSSD9g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

With today’s sad sack NFC, the 49ers could certainly get by Philly to get to Super Bowl.

The Bills would slap them silly.

OpIv37
10-24-2022, 05:54 AM
Although I agree that we should have avoided CMC, I would argue that the above is one of beanes greatest weaknesses. He doesn’t seem to have the ‘feel’ for drafting the right running back. Which is why he seemingly takes a new one every year

Yeah, every time a big name RB comes up in trade/FA, a lot of people here say "good RB's are a dime a dozen." Yet, we still can't seem to find one.

Don't get me wrong- this coaching staff is doing a lot of things right and has this team in the best position they've been in in the last 30 years, maybe the best position they've ever been in. And I'm not advocating a big trade or FA splash to land an RB. It's just frustrating that an FO that does so many things right can't seem to figure out one of the easier positions.

Forward_Lateral
10-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Yeah, every time a big name RB comes up in trade/FA, a lot of people here say "good RB's are a dime a dozen." Yet, we still can't seem to find one.

Don't get me wrong- this coaching staff is doing a lot of things right and has this team in the best position they've been in in the last 30 years, maybe the best position they've ever been in. And I'm not advocating a big trade or FA splash to land an RB. It's just frustrating that an FO that does so many things right can't seem to figure out one of the easier positions.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say "The Bills can't seem to find a RB". They've had numerous star RBs that they've drafted over the years. Antowain Smith, Travis Henry, Marshawn Lynch, CJ Spiller, etc, etc etc.

Here's the thing. THIS IS NOT A RUNNING TEAM. They are not built to run the ball. They are not built to pound it down the opponents throat. Singletary fits the offense as good as anyone. He can catch the ball, run after the catch etc.

Night Train
10-24-2022, 07:50 AM
Bills OL cannot run block. No push.

Conclusion - blame the RB.

Skooby
10-24-2022, 08:17 AM

One the flip side, every S / DB we get becomes a freaking star out there.

notacon
10-25-2022, 07:08 AM
Not sure what you are referring to when you say "The Bills can't seem to find a RB". They've had numerous star RBs that they've drafted over the years. Antowain Smith, Travis Henry, Marshawn Lynch, CJ Spiller, etc, etc etc.

Here's the thing. THIS IS NOT A RUNNING TEAM. They are not built to run the ball. They are not built to pound it down the opponents throat. Singletary fits the offense as good as anyone. He can catch the ball, run after the catch etc.
SPOT ON!!!!

This is a TEAM sport and Singletary performs extremely well to fit their offense scheme.

He tore up the Chiefs on first down last game. I posted his play-by-play runs in another thread (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/261457-Thursday-Night-Football?p=4969969&viewfull=1#post4969969).....

<tbody>
Buffalo vs KC Singletary rushes

1st & 10 at BUF 46

(13:43 - 1st) D.Singletary right end pushed ob at KC 45 for 9 yards (J.Reid).

1st & 10 at KC 43

(12:18 - 1st) D.Singletary right end to KC 33 for 10 yards (L.Sneed; J.Williams). KC-J.Reid was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

1st & 10 at KC 33

(11:55 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Singletary right guard to KC 25 for 8 yards (N.Bolton).

2nd & 5 at KC 31

(0:28 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Singletary right guard to KC 22 for 9 yards (N.Bolton).

1st & 10 at BUF 25

(11:31 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Singletary right guard to BUF 32 for 7 yards (D.Nnadi).

2nd & 3 at BUF 32

(10:59 - 2nd) D.Singletary up the middle to BUF 34 for 2 yards (N.Bolton).

1st & 10 at KC 47

(8:23 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Singletary up the middle to KC 33 for 14 yards (J.Thornhill).

1st & Goal at KC 10

(7:27 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Singletary right end to KC 3 for 7 yards (J.Williams).

2nd & 10 at BUF 31

(4:23 - 2nd) D.Singletary up the middle to BUF 34 for 3 yards (C.Jones; D.Nnadi).

1st & 10 at BUF 41

(10:15 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Singletary right end to BUF 40 for -1 yards (N.Bolton).

1st & 10 at KC 22

(7:48 - 3rd) D.Singletary right end to KC 17 for 5 yards (D.Harris).

1st & 10 at BUF 35

(9:13 - 4th) D.Singletary left guard to BUF 35 for no gain (F.Clark).

2nd & 2 at BUF 32

(4:51 - 4th) (Shotgun) D.Singletary left end to BUF 33 for 1 yard (J.Williams).

3rd & 1 at BUF 33

(4:07 - 4th) D.Singletary right end to BUF 33 for no gain (N.Bolton; L.Sneed).

1st & 10 at KC 30

(0:51 - 4th) B.Hart reported in as eligible. D.Singletary left guard to KC 24 for 6 yards (K.Saunders; L.Chenal).

</tbody>

Looks to me that Singletary was performing at a very high level.

Singletary first three first down runs....9 yds, 10 yds, 8 yds. Then a 2nd down run for 9 yards and a first down. Then another first down run for 7 yards.

YardRat
10-25-2022, 11:24 AM

Singletary is a decent blocker, too.

Woodman
10-25-2022, 11:38 AM
Singletary has been playing some pretty good ball .... would be nice to have a better 2nd .... c'mon Cook get it going!!!!!!

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2022, 11:02 PM
Singletary is a decent blocker, too.

His ability to make plays in the passing game gets lost among some here. He's a weapon.

notacon
10-26-2022, 04:40 AM
In his pre-trade deadline article, Joe B. proposes a possible RB trade that would benefit the Bills. (https://theathletic.com/3729712/2022/10/26/buffalo-bills-trade-deadline-options/)

He’s been mentioned here by some posters...Josh Jacobs. Here is what he wrote concerning the logic in trading for a RB, and then a discussion on why Jacobs would be a good fit...

The Bills have publicly backed their trio of running backs whenever asked, but actions speak louder than words. And the act of sniffing around the McCaffrey sweepstakes should ring loudly that the Bills feel like something new at the position can help put them over the top. All things can be true. They can still like Devin Singletary (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/devin-singletary-9Ps1MFRXoDMzHOvl/), James Cook (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/james-cook-yynfZqHDAdhkOwK4/) and Zack Moss (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/zack-moss-kAHZyHA4G8rn5Y8V/) and their potential while feeling like they can get better right now. Singletary has been consistent, and they would remain confident having him as the starter, but they have been looking to add around him every offseason since his rookie year. Cook and Moss are just projections above all else, with Cook usurping the primary backup role in Week 6.

Regardless of their depth chart, they likely wouldn’t make a move at running back just to make a move. They probably want more than a runner who has fallen out of favor in his situation. It has to be someone who possesses something they don’t have, whether that’s an explosive between-the-tackles runner who can punish teams that don’t stack the box or a more accomplished receiving back who can also run between the tackles when asked. McCaffrey would have been the perfect pairing, but the final cost was too prohibitive for the Bills (https://theathletic.com/3715655/2022/10/21/panthers-trade-christian-mccaffrey-49ers/).

Potential options:

Josh Jacobs (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/josh-jacobs-0peZjGZnNj4BFDtc/), Raiders (https://theathletic.com/nfl/team/raiders/) — This one might raise some eyebrows, especially since Jacobs just proved why Las Vegas should extend him (https://theathletic.com/3726436/2022/10/24/raiders-josh-jacobs-offensive-line/). But the fourth-year running back would be a game-breaker in the Bills offense. His ferocious running style is something the Bills don’t have, and his 54-catch season in 2021 shows he can be more than just an early-down rusher. He has been one of the best backs in the league this season, so why would the Raiders want to move him? The franchise decided against giving Jacobs a fifth-year option, making him a free agent in March. A loss this weekend to the Saints (https://theathletic.com/nfl/team/saints/) would put the Raiders at 2-5, and at that point, it might be in their best interest to move Jacobs for a good, immediate draft pick return. It would be more appealing than hoping he stays healthy the rest of the way and if so, getting a delayed compensatory pick in 2024 — if they even qualify for one.

From a Bills perspective, this is a perfect scenario if it isn’t too costly. They would get an impact running back, giving them another edge on offense. Jacobs is in the final year of his contract, still on his rookie deal, and the Bills would only owe roughly $1.25 million more to their salary cap to add him. However, with some concerns about their salary cap in 2023 as several veteran salaries balloon, the Jacobs acquisition would give them the best of all worlds. It all comes down to the Raiders’ losing this weekend and how much they would want, but the Bills could be motivated after not landing McCaffrey.

I think this is a long, long shot. Better option than overpaying for a fragile, aging McCaffrey both in draft picks to acquire him and his cost going forward.

But, Joe is spot on when he says that any trade for a RB would have to “It has to be someone who possesses something they don’t have, whether that’s an explosive between-the-tackles runner who can punish teams that don’t stack the box or a more accomplished receiving back who can also run between the tackles when asked."

Chet
10-27-2022, 05:30 PM
Kareem Hunt runs with speed, power, and is potent as a receiver out of the backfield as well. Can’t think of a better fit for the next 2-3 years to maximize this roster’s SB window. After that, we can start to go young again once Hunt, Von, Diggs and others get old.

Hunt gives us another dimension. All good running backs get one domestic violence mulligan, so he’s got it out of his system.

TheConsigliere
10-27-2022, 10:20 PM
Kareem Hunt runs with speed, power, and is potent as a receiver out of the backfield as well. Can’t think of a better fit for the next 2-3 years to maximize this roster’s SB window. After that, we can start to go young again once Hunt, Von, Diggs and others get old.

Hunt gives us another dimension. All good running backs get one domestic violence mulligan, so he’s got it out of his system.

They certainly do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67dK5g5pOtY&ab_channel=VittorioCory%3ATheVampire

notacon
10-28-2022, 07:30 AM
They certainly do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67dK5g5pOtY&ab_channel=VittorioCory%3ATheVampire

If you watch The Offer (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13111040/), the Paramount+ series on the making of the Godfather, they put forward the premise (and Al Ruddy is alive and was the producer of that series) that Gianni Russo, the actor who played Carlo, was “inappropriate with a costume designer and then later he goes “method” actually hitting Talia Shire during the scene of domestic violence between Carlo and Connie (https://www.whattowatch.com/features/fact-vs-fiction-the-offer-episode-8-did-james-caan-really-beat-up-his-godfather-co-star)”.

The payback was that James Caan was a little rough in the “Sonny beats up Carlo” scene. The beating was real (“ultimately breaking two ribs and chipping Russo’s elbow”) but there is a question whether the reasoning for Caan’s exuberance was accurate.

They point to an interview that Russo gave (https://ew.com/movies/2017/04/10/gianni-russo-james-caan-godfather/) saying that the animosity between him and Caan was simmering.

I believe that The Offer’s premise is probably more close to the truth than what Russo remembers. It’s unlikely anyone wants to admit to being an ass on set toward women and hitting Talia Shire.

Either way....he got was what probably coming to him.

If you have not watched The Offer, you are missing out of a fascinating story.

Woodman
10-28-2022, 02:51 PM
His ability to make plays in the passing game gets lost among some here. He's a weapon.

Being underrated can be fun too.