Will short yardage situations cost a game this yr? Any solutions other than JA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Will short yardage situations cost a game this yr? Any solutions other than JA?

The defenses will realize or have realized 9/10 times, Allen will keep on play action and run (or throw). Sometimes, HE Paul Bunyan's his way to a 1st anyways (the 4th and 1's against BAL and then NE last year), but we'll also flub our fair share since it's no surprise (a 4th down pass that got batted against MIA, that terrible play by Morris on the shovel).

BFO invested in zero young talent at IOL or a bigger RB. Does it matter?

Side note, I'd cut Taiwan Jones. Neither him nor Siran Neal know how to down a punt and I don't see anything special on ST coverage either.

Side side note, truly awesome game yesterday.

• Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Will short yardage situations cost a game this yr? Any solutions other than JA?

No use for Jones he's just not enough for a roster spot JMO.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

Re: Will short yardage situations cost a game this yr? Any solutions other than JA?

It already cost us a game this year.

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

see if we can steal najee harris from the steelers. He's completely wasted by their o-line, he's a luxury and they're rebuilding. best part about him is he's got truely elite hands and runs wr style routes, something our RBs don't have.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Oaf
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
          see if we can steal najee harris from the steelers. He's completely wasted by their o-line, he's a luxury and they're rebuilding. best part about him is he's got truely elite hands and runs wr style routes, something our RBs don't have.
          So, I'm sick of acquiring RBs that are supposedly assets out of the backfield (Cook, CMC, etc). Singletary is fine.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

No way they give him up on his rookie deal ..... if they are stupid enough to do so .... then by all means do so.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
              So, I'm sick of acquiring RBs that are supposedly assets out of the backfield (Cook, CMC, etc). Singletary is fine.
              You grab until you get a keeper it's really that simple.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                Singletary is mediocre. the reason they keep trying to find a replacement is because he's not good enough. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Singletary at all. I'd love him if he was our No.2 back. But as a no.1 he's just not good enough.

Cook might become an elite weapon, but it's going to take him a couple of years yet to get there; there is nothing wrong with that. Thurman Thomas became an all pro in year 3, after splitting carries in year one, then sharing the field with Ronnie Harmon in year two, it wasn't till year 3 he became an elite no.1. Problem is we are looking to win a superbowl now. We can't wait for cook to realize his potential (if he does), so I'd like to see us do something for this year.

Get a call to the panthers about Christian McCaffery, try to steal Najee Harris from Pitt, heck see if the titans will trade Derrick Henry... do whatever it takes to improve that position for this year.
                Last edited by Ingtar33; 10-10-2022, 08:01 AM.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Oaf
                  • Jun 2007

Singletary is mediocre. the reason they keep trying to find a replacement is because he's not good enough. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Singletary at all. I'd love him if he was our No.2 back. But as a no.1 he's just not good enough.
                  Cook might become an elite weapon, but it's going to take him a couple of years yet to get there; there is nothing wrong with that. Thurman Thomas became an all pro in year 3, after splitting carries in year one, then sharing the field with Ronnie Harmon in year two, it wasn't till year 3 he became an elite no.1. Problem is we are looking to win a superbowl now. We can't wait for cook to realize his potential (if he does), so I'd like to see us do something for this year.

Get a call to the panthers about Christian McCaffery, try to steal Najee Harris from Pitt, heck see if the titans will trade Derrick Henry... do whatever it takes to improve that position for this year.
                  Singletary as number 2, or even number 3 is fine. And I agree about Cook's potential of course. I don't see Cook, CMC, or NH complimenting Singletary well. AJ Dillon from GB or another stronger pile-mover, definitely.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

McCaffrey only counts for a million against the cap this year, but he's $11 million against the cap next year. There's no way we keep him at that cap hit. So, basically we'd be giving up assets for a 2/3 of a season rent-a-player (and that's assuming he stays healthy, which isn't likely given his history the last couple of years). How much are you willing to pay for that?
                    Last edited by OpIv37; 10-11-2022, 04:22 AM.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

I’m not sure why they don’t roll out Allen dragging a TE with him, if they comment to the TE Josh has an easy first down without having to take a hit, if the comment to Josh a little flip to the TE for the same easy first down and maybe more.

I remember the Dolphins used to do this the statue Mario very effectively!
                      Retired Air Traffic Controller
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                        I’m not sure why they don’t roll out Allen dragging a TE with him, if they comment to the TE Josh has an easy first down without having to take a hit, if the comment to Josh a little flip to the TE for the same easy first down and maybe more.

I remember the Dolphins used to do this the statue Mario very effectively!
                        That's a tough play to run on 3rd or 4th and short in the NFL. Defenses will sniff that out. It's a common one on 1st down with a rookie or back up QB to help get them in a rhythm. Pittsburgh ran that on their first offensive play of the game.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

I say we we throw passes no shorter than 25 yards on every 4th and short situation until the defenses start playing their safeties back and opening up the box. Then it'll be easy to run it for that 1 yard. In the meantime, we'll get easy deep routes with no safety protection. Easy touchdowns.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            • Apr 2004

I mean, just think about that opening drive.

How many teams are throwing it deep on 3rd and 10 at their own 2 yard line?

I don't think I have ever seen that before.

A run or an in-breaking route that busts loose? Yes. A pass that travels 50 yards? I'm sure it's happened but I've never seen it. And in those wond conditions? Sheeeeit.
                            I can't imagine many teams will entertain that.
                            Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 10-11-2022, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Oaf
                              • Jun 2007

Our playcalling on 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 2 inside the Vikings 10… Cost us a game.

Comment

Working...
                              X