• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Fo Sho
    Making Spirits Bright
    • Mar 2006

Re: 98 YD TD from Allen’s Perspective

If you watch the live broadcast, it looks like Minkah Fitzpatrick has a free shot at Josh as he's throwing that pass. I was worried about that hit that he took when I started looking at this replay.

However, when you look at it from the view in the original post, it looks like Josh was barely touched and just fell to the ground. The benefits of being 6'5", 245 pounds.

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

A 98 yard explosion.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Cali512
        • Jan 2012

He barely put any arm into that
        Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Mad Bomber
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
          He barely put any arm into that
          And that pass was INTO the wind!

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

We want more

Josh is such a beast!

Beast Mode (with an arm) 2.0

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

They knew Davis could get on the other side of the defense but it took some nerve to run that play from the end zone. Amazing how easy Allen makes that throw look.

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

I could watch that over and over. That’s literally my childhood dream. Imagine being him and hearing that crowd roar like that. Insane.
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                  I could watch that over and over. That’s literally my childhood dream. Imagine being him and hearing that crowd roar like that. Insane.
                  Gotta be a thrill that want again.

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

Great write up by, who else, Joe B. in his All-22 Film analysis about the spectacular blocking of Tommy Sweeney that made that pass possible....

How Tommy Sweeney saved the 98-yard TD

Everyone remembers the long Josh Allen-to-Gabe Davis touchdown to begin the day as the Bills’ marquee play, and for a good reason. But the one player that has gone under-the-radar in his importance on that play was backup tight end Tommy Sweeney. If it weren’t for Sweeney’s excellent blocking abilities, Allen might not have gotten the ball out both on time and on target. Here’s a frame-by-frame look at why Sweeney helped save the day.

(NFL Game Pass)
                    The Bills held Sweeney (89) in the backfield to deal with what they felt was likely to be extra attention from the Steelers’ pass rush. The Steelers were threatening with six players in the box to try and get the Bills to guess who is rushing and have a lapse in blocking.

(NFL Game Pass)
                    As the rep began, the Bills slid their protection for Bates to head left to deal with the four Steelers, allowing the Bills to go one-on-one if all four Steelers rushed the passer. Only two of them immediately rushed, while Minkah Fitzpatrick (39) was more on a delayed blitz. That isolated Sweeney with linebacker Robert Spillane (41) in a one-on-one situation.

(NFL Game Pass)
                    Sweeney does a great job of initially squaring himself up to Spillane and getting a sturdy, balanced base for whatever move the linebacker will try to use against him. Sweeney also doesn’t lean at all and keeps his head up in perfect technique.

(NFL Game Pass)
                    This is why Sweeney’s balanced base was so important. Spillane tried to outmuscle Sweeney with a bull rush, and the initial punch knocked Sweeney back slightly. But in the image, you can see his left foot firmly planted, allowing him to anchor after the contact. He also kept his arms fully extended and engaged with the defender. All of it allowed him to be in complete control of the rep.

(NFL Game Pass)
                    After withstanding the initial punch, Sweeney went into attack mode on Spillane and used his balance and stance to push into Spillane to keep him from making any more headway into the pocket.

(NFL Game Pass)
                    Even as Spillane kept working upfield, Sweeney walled him off and turned his body to keep the pocket intact. Meanwhile, Allen took one half step to his left and climbed the pocket before making the throw.

The rest of the play is history, as you all saw on Sunday. But the touchdown may never have happened if Sweeney wasn’t so sound in his technique in that one-on-one situation against a linebacker rolling downhill. He was the unseen star of the play.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

That's awesome.

Comment

• imbondz
                        Democrats are people too
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                        Great write up by, who else, Joe B. in his All-22 Film analysis about the spectacular blocking of Tommy Sweeney that made that pass possible....
                        that’s really cool
                        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

I love the way that Spencer Brown manhandled #50, Malik Reed on the right side too.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                            • Sep 2004

Beautiful football, beautiful!

The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                              Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                              • Nov 2012

I traveled to WNY to visit my momma, 90 years old. I was debating whether to go to the Bills game or the Sabres game, and I chose the Bills. I landed at 11:15AM, got the rental car, bought the ticket online, parked about about 12:15, and made it in early. I was surrounded by a bunch of Jamos about my age. 2nd and 10, one Jamo said "this isn't a good way to start the game." I leaned over and said "start of game not over yet." Then, you know what happened. I was in the 200's in the corner Davis ran up to for his TD celebration. The Jamos and I were all best friends. Especially after the kickoff fumble recovery. Some of them were French kissing: yuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X