X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Run and Screen Defense the difference this year

6 games in, most people will recognize the D-Line's improvement over the past years. Exactly where is the improvement? You may point to sack numbers. To me, it is the run defense and those plays started behind LOS like screens.

Run defense has been the Achilles' Heel for McDermott ever since he came here. Not this year. Andy Reed's offense always find some big runs against the Bills (who always play them with 2 deep of course), some at the worst possible time, like in red zone. Yesterday, the entire Chiefs run game, including Mahomes scrambling yards, is less than 70 yards. By contrast, Singletary alone had 85 rushing yards.

The other is plays like screens, to the boundary etc. The Chiefs are known for that - they run behind LOS passes to WRs, TEs, you name it. Well, those plays are now ended up with negative yards against the Bills. I remember what DaQuan Jones said when he joined the Bills that you gotta know what they are doing to you. Seems to me that is carrying over to the entire D-Line and linebackers. They are playing smarter and instinctive players are making instinctive plays - see Milano.

When Mahomes has to play normal QB, i.e., stay in pocket throwing to WRs not named Hill, and TEs, he's more normal. He can function well there, but not outrageous like he's known for. And he can still move out of the pocket making big plays (like the JuJu TD, though I say that's a breakdown in tackling by the Bills), but the Bills had a good plan for that like a spy to minimize his effectiveness.

Holding the Chiefs, with whole complementary players on their roster on that side of the ball, at home, to 20 points is an achievement.
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Run and Screen Defense the difference this year

yep, the line is just crushing running attempts, it's also getting really good pass rush for the most part. the main thing the line is doing is keeping the linebackers clean to make plays. this is why edmunds and milano both look so much better this year.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

The difference is 2 things, IMO.

#1, obviously, is the addition of Jones, Settle, Phillips, among others, in the middle of the D-line.

#2, is experience and depth. Epenesa, Rousseau, Boogie, no longer look "lost" out there. Rousseau is a force against the pass and run. Epenesa as well. Heck, Shaq Lawson might've been the best DE for the Bills yesterday. They can keep guys fresh, which is key, and you really don't notice who's in and who's out.

It also doesn't hurt that the LBs have been playing pretty well also.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
        I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
        • Sep 2004

Run D, screen passes, and experience, that's for sure.

Go Bills!
        The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
          The difference is 2 things, IMO.

#1, obviously, is the addition of Jones, Settle, Phillips, among others, in the middle of the D-line.

#2, is experience and depth. Epenesa, Rousseau, Boogie, no longer look "lost" out there. Rousseau is a force against the pass and run. Epenesa as well. Heck, Shaq Lawson might've been the best DE for the Bills yesterday. They can keep guys fresh, which is key, and you really don't notice who's in and who's out.

It also doesn't hurt that the LBs have been playing pretty well also.
          Milano is playing out of his mind.

Edmunds often does the dirty work of taking on pulling linemen to allow Milano, Johnson or Hamlin to make the tackle. You'd like to see him get off those more often to make tackles himself, but it's basically effective because if he tries to get around a block and the RB cuts back the other way, now the pulling lineman is out front. Team defense.

Comment

• Oaf
            Do you read what you write?
            • Jun 2007

How the heck did BFO think Star was going to hold it down in previous years? This new line is 10x better. The amount of run stuffs in light boxes (i.e. cover 2 nickel) has been impressive.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
              • Nov 2007

Everyone is enamored (rightfully so) with Von
              but I’d argue daquons impact has been almost as important

God, Star latoulazy was useless
              I came.
              I saw.
              I conquered.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Miller, Jones, Settle, Phillips, Lawson...That's the difference.

It allows McDermott/Frazier to do more .
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                  yep, the line is just crushing running attempts, it's also getting really good pass rush for the most part. the main thing the line is doing is keeping the linebackers clean to make plays. this is why edmunds and milano both look so much better this year.
                  This is why our young, inexperienced, defensive backs are able to hold their own out there as well.

It's no wonder people say this game is won and lost in the trenches.

Comment

• sukie
                    Seriously?
                    • Sep 2012

Miller brought here to close games. He closed Sunday’s game with a drive killing sack and then that final inside designed rush.

not knocking the rest of the D line but man that was special.

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Daquon Jones, they wasted so much on Lotulelei. Jones made a tackle 8 yards past the line of scrimmage after two gapping. Star would have been napping.

If you're determined to have a singular role two gapper, you want one who's at least awake every play to free up other people in your scheme, much better if you have a big man who doesn't stop.

So many people thought Lotulelei was a difference maker, he was terrible.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

The DL really got upgraded.

V.Miller, J. Phillips, D. Jones and T.Settle.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                          Miller brought here to close games. He closed Sunday’s game with a drive killing sack and then that final inside designed rush.

not knocking the rest of the D line but man that was special.
                          He's rubbing off on the young guys as well.

Groot is benefitting the most so far.

Confidence is at an all time high along that line.

To get that much pressure from the front 4 is a huge advantage.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                            How the heck did BFO think Star was going to hold it down in previous years? This new line is 10x better. The amount of run stuffs in light boxes (i.e. cover 2 nickel) has been impressive.
                            The improvement up front is incredible and will bode well the entire regular and post season.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

I don't have a link, but I saw that DaQuan Jones is getting double teamed a league leading 78% of the time. That is a big part of the linebackers being able to play clean.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X