X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

The difference between Allen and Mahomes

I heard people asking Allen about Mahomes' unique traits and he mentioned the various throwing angles Mahomes is able to make. That is true, probably a carryover from Mahomes playing baseball as a shortstop. But I'm starting to see Mahomes biggest "unique" ability just might be movements within and around the pocket. It's not Lamar Jackson kind of juking people and running fast. It's very subtle like the 6th sense of avoiding the pass rush while having the ability to throw the ball accurately with minimal setup. No wonder blitzing is a bad strategy because he almost invariably evades the initial (direct) wave and then throws the ball to an open guy when you have less people in coverage.

Josh has a bigger arm and is probably a better pure passer than Mahomes, meaning able to deliver better balls to tighter spots than Mahomes. But the biggest difference compared to Mahomes is Allen's running ability - it is a weapon for Allen. Belichick mentioned Allen runs better than some of the running backs, and Allen admitted himself that he played running backs in high school before switching to quarterbacking. A good running back needs to have good instincts, and it looks like Allen has that and carries over to quarterbacking as well.
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: The difference between Allen and Mahomes

Josh also is what I like to call a violent runner. He's looking to take on contact if need be and given his size, that's a daunting task for many defensive players. And I noticed Josh make at least one sidearm throw against the Chefs.

As for Mahomes in the pocket, he dances around a lot and often-times gets open. I'm waiting for him to scramble into a sack where he gets smashed.

Comment

• Cali512
      • Jan 2012

The more i watch mahomes, the more i realize that aside from those weird arm angles. There is not anything he does better than allen

If you notice, mahomes rarely changes plays or audibles. Hes running what reid tells him to. When he escapes the pocket, its almost all the time to hit a crosser or get the defense juggled up. At the goaline, over half his tds come from throwing it up to kelce, or gadget plays by reid. Hes great, but there is a lot more outside factors and backyard football that attributes to his success. Allen has more of a full passing game ability, and his rushing ability is 10x better than mahomes

You saw this by how buffalo consistently avoided him from going right. When KC did this to allen, his still found a way to get out there. Thats due to allens ability to consistently make players miss at the last second. Mahomes usually puts himself in the situation of moving right before its nessesary.

Aside from those arm angles and maybe consistent accuracy (allen sometimes gets to excited a little), allen is better at literally everything
      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• notacon
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
        The more i watch mahomes, the more i realize that aside from those weird arm angles. There is not anything he does better than allen

If you notice, mahomes rarely changes plays or audibles. Hes running what reid tells him to. When he escapes the pocket, its almost all the time to hit a crosser or get the defense juggled up. At the goaline, over half his tds come from throwing it up to kelce, or gadget plays by reid. Hes great, but there is a lot more outside factors and backyard football that attributes to his success. Allen has more of a full passing game ability, and his rushing ability is 10x better than mahomes

You saw this by how buffalo consistently avoided him from going right. When KC did this to allen, his still found a way to get out there. Thats due to allens ability to consistently make players miss at the last second. Mahomes usually puts himself in the situation of moving right before its nessesary.

Aside from those arm angles and maybe consistent accuracy (allen sometimes gets to excited a little), allen is better at literally everything

Saying that "allen is better at literally everything” and "There is not anything he does better than allen” is silly. As is your insane attempt to denigrate Mahomes.

Jesus. Get off the soapbox, no one in the credible NFL world agrees with you.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Allen can do it all, in the pocket or out.

Mahomes, if you think about it, is really just a more athletic Flutie.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Mahomes has a superbowl ring. The only difference that matters.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Historian View Post

And taller, faster, smarter, more accurate, stronger, and in just about very way much, much better than Flutie.

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                Mahomes has a superbowl ring. The only difference that matters.
                Damn you!
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Cali512
                  • Jan 2012

I think the best way to do these things is separate the parts of the QB

Arm talent of stafford
                  Inside pocket Mobility of prime Aaron Rodgers
                  Rushing ability of Steve Young
                  Accuracy of Andrew Luck
                  IQ of Joe Montana

With Allen id go

Arm talent of Favre
                  Inside pocket ability of prime Ben
                  Outside pocket ability of prime Cam
                  Accuracy of Jim Kelly. This one i used kelly for due to how they use their accuracy. Both fit the ball in tight windows with arm strength, and have very nice deep balls. Kelly, allen, favre are some of the best ever at throwing line drives in between defenders
                  IQ of Elway. Just an all in on every play and willingness to take off and do whatever it takes to get the first down
                  Last edited by Cali512; 10-20-2022, 09:59 AM.
                  Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Mahomes, judging by his peers, is already a HOF by probably of them. Are you saying Flutie is an NFL (not CFL) HOF if he's more athletic?

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I don't think IQ of Elway is a compliment.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post

I don’t know if it’s that Mahomes doesn’t audible as much as it’s just not something Reid allows his QB’s to do.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Cali512
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          I don't think IQ of Elway is a compliment.

I think i shouldbve said on field heart instead

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

BTW....I looked up Flutie's stats....NOT a pretty picture....

With the Bills:

39 games, 30 starts.

598/1063 - 56.3% completion. 7,582 yards - 47 TD, WHOPPING 30 INTS. Passer rating: 81.7

For his whole NFL career:

92 games, 66 starts.

1177/2151 - 54.7% completion. 14,715 yards - 86 TDs, 68 INTs. Passer rating: 76.3.

Mahomes for his career:

69 games, 69 starts

1701/2574 - 66.1% completion. 20,727 yards - 168 TD, 41 INTS. Passer rating: 105.8

Josh Allen for his career:

67 games, 66 starts.

1405/2238 - 62.8% completion. 16,094 yards - 120 TD, 50 INTS. Passer rating: 92.9

Yes, we all know that the offense and QB’ing in the NFL has changed since Flutie days, but shortie Dougie was an INT machine!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Say what you want about Flutie, if the Bills hadn't had gone with Johnson vs Tennesee, The Bills win that game, and probably go to the superbowl

Comment

Working...
                              X