X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notacon
    • Aug 2012

Edmunds has a résumé reel worthy outing for his contract year

I have avoided starting threads about Edmunds because the vitriol and hatred directed at him is boring and divisive.

But, this was just too relevant to pass up. Joe. B.’s weekly ALL 22 Film analysis lays it out for all to see....

Tremaine Edmunds makes statement, Mitch Morse stars for O-line: Bills All-22 film review

2. Edmunds has a résumé reel worthy outing for his contract year

Throughout his Bills career, Tremaine Edmunds has been a good starter who does many things that go unseen as to why he’s so important. He has long held the potential to become one of the best at his position in the league, though he has fallen a bit shy of that promise. But against the Chiefs, Edmunds had what I’d qualify as a ceiling game. Everything the Bills had hoped Edmunds would become was on display Sunday.

The linebacker was hyper-aware of his surroundings at all times pre- and post-snap. He was dynamic in coverage, both picking up receivers and clogging up lanes while in zone. He was instinctive in his play recognition and had an excellent reaction time to get himself in proper position. Part of that was in how quickly Edmunds was getting sideline-to-sideline, flashing the elite movement skills of a linebacker with his size. And finally, the last piece of the puzzle was how capably Edmunds shed his blocks against the Chiefs. He used his hands well and kept blockers off his pads, instead keeping his arms extended and getting away to impact the play. The block shedding has been his primary weakness throughout his career, but it wasn’t an issue on Sunday.

It’s a game like this one that can help convince the Bills or some other team to invest heavily in him with a lucrative long-term contract. He was indispensable to their defensive efforts and execution. Edmunds remains in his contract year, and especially after the Bills chose to pay tight end Dawson Knox, it remains unclear what their plans are for Edmunds. However, with the safety duo of Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde getting broken up by injury this year and potentially by expiring contract next year, you could make a case for the Bills to invest in their linebackers. The second part of that plan is to target safeties in the draft and allow those cost-controlled deals to compensate for the cap space spent on Edmunds and Matt Milano. The Edmunds decision will be the most fascinating of the Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott era. But if he has more games like this one, it may force their hand.

I’m not interested in the pointless “debate" with the haters. I posted this for the record and reference sake.

Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano are having a stellar season.

Without Matt Milano AND Tremaine Edmunds the Bills defense would be noticeably worse off. The addition of Von Miller has had effects that ripple throughout the whole defense.

The revamping of the D-line with the addition of Daquan Jones and Jordan Phillips have had a noticeable difference. Ed Oliver is continuing to come into his own and is well on the way to elite status. The further development of Greg Rousseau, AJ Epenesa and Boogie Basham has all come together to provide the missing pieces of the puzzle.

As a Bills fan who is desperate for that first Super Bowl win I am ecstatic that we have one of the best pair of LB starters in the NFL.
    Last edited by notacon; 10-20-2022, 06:59 AM.
  • kscdogbillsfan1221
    • Nov 2007

Re: Edmunds has a résumé reel worthy outing for his contract year

Other than the near decapitation of Dane Jackson, He has been much much better this year. I am liking what I am seeing now
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
      • Aug 2022

This thread angers The Family.

Comment

• malvado78
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by notacon View Post
        I’m not interested in the pointless “debate" with the haters. I posted this for the record and reference sake.
        Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano are having a stellar season.
        Without Matt Milano AND Tremaine Edmunds the Bills defense would be noticeably worse off. The addition of Von Miller has had effects that ripple throughout the whole defense.
        The revamping of the D-line with the addition of Daquan Jones and Jordan Phillips have had a noticeable difference. Ed Oliver is continuing to come into his own and is well on the way to elite status. The further development of Greg Rousseau, AJ Epenesa and Boogie Basham has all come together to provide the missing pieces of the puzzle.
        As a Bills fan who is desperate for that first Super Bowl win I am ecstatic that we have one of the best pair of LB starters in the NFL.
        I have been one of the Edmunds "haters." Not that I felt he was terrible but in the past has never played up to his potential but always rooting for him to prove me wrong...

I felt even before this last game that is was having a much better year. I agree that the retooling of the line has likely made a noticeable difference for enabling him to do better.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Earn it and i'm all for it.

That goes for anybody going for contract number two or beyond.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
            Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
            • Nov 2012

I’m not gonna subscribe to that **** if they can’t use hyphens to make their headlines readable.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I'm not so sure "Look how much better our MLB plays when we stack the defensive line with talent" is the best argument for signing Edmunds to a huge contract. Beane is going to have to be faced with breaking up the band sooner rather than later, and personally I'd rather focus on extending Poyer a couple of years, re-signing Morse, keeping the d-line depth like Phillips and Lawson, and having available cap to extend Gabe Davis. Wouldn't mind seeing what a Noah Sewell or Jack Campbell can do in this defense...or even Trenton Simpson.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                I'm not so sure "Look how much better our MLB plays when we stack the defensive line with talent" is the best argument for signing Edmunds to a huge contract. Beane is going to have to be faced with breaking up the band sooner rather than later, and personally I'd rather focus on extending Poyer a couple of years, re-signing Morse, keeping the d-line depth like Phillips and Lawson, and having available cap to extend Gabe Davis. Wouldn't mind seeing what a Noah Sewell or Jack Campbell can do in this defense...or even Trenton Simpson.
                I’d let them all walk and just extend Davis. You’re right that there will have to be some very hard decisions made in the near future.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Cali512
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  I’d let them all walk and just extend Davis. You’re right that there will have to be some very hard decisions made in the near future.
                  Id wait for Davis, just one more year

But honestly. It goes Poyer-Morse-Edmunds-Oliver

Oliver is going to demand a lot of money, and we saw what happened to phillips when he tried doing the same. Keep the DTs where we have them, focus on poyer and morse, then edmunds. If edmunds takes less, than keep him. If not, go MLB round one
                  Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    Morse would be a huge loss. We need him for a couple of more seasons, and Beane needs to get off his ass and draft a center.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      Morse would be a huge loss. We need him for a couple of more seasons, and Beane needs to get off his ass and draft a center.
                      I think a player like Bradbury in Minny who is scheduled to be a UFA would be a great player who would come in at a little savings and with less concussion history.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                        Id wait for Davis, just one more year

But honestly. It goes Poyer-Morse-Edmunds-Oliver

Oliver is going to demand a lot of money, and we saw what happened to phillips when he tried doing the same. Keep the DTs where we have them, focus on poyer and morse, then edmunds. If edmunds takes less, than keep him. If not, go MLB round one
                        Oliver is the one guy they can’t afford to lose imo. The difference in this defense when he is healthy and able to play is pretty incredible.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

He's had a much better season but we have Poyer, Davis, Oliver and more needing extensions. They can't sign them all. We'll see who they value the most.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                            • Mar 2004

Not buying it.

he’s still soft. Doesn’t like contact. He’s surrounded by talent and he’s still not a playmaker.

I’ve seen nothing a 3rd round rookie couldn’t replace.

Comment

• kgun12
                              • Jul 2002

Yes he’s playing better so far this season, but I’m still looking at a little more than a quarter of the season versus the entire body of work. I’m not ready to say boy we can’t live without him yet!
                              Retired Air Traffic Controller
                              USAF VETERAN
                              DAV

Comment

Working...
                              X