Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notacon
    • Aug 2012

Allen and Mahomes are Leading the Changing of the Guard & Burying the Dinosaurs

There is no questions that Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes are 1A & 1B at QB this season.

They are the elite of the elite and illustrate what it takes to be a successful QB in today’s NFL.

What we are witnessing is, as the NY Times writer Mike Tanier aptly opined....

The 2022 N.F.L. season is shaping up to be an extinction-level event for several once-mighty dinosaur quarterbacks.

Tom Brady should have stayed retired. He could have salvaged his dignity, and possibly his wife.

Matt Ryan is washed up, possibly never to see the NFL field again.

Aaron Rodgers looks worse than ordinary when he lost his man-crush, Devante Adams.

Russelll Wilson has lost the speed, agility and arm strength and seems like the worst trade (and especially) contract extension this season.

Good ‘ol cheatin’ Tom will almost assuredly make the playoffs since the NFC South is for ****. But, does anyone really expect the Bucs to overcome their old age roaster and make any headway???

Aaron is just too weird to be taken seriously anymore. Every time he opens his mouth he sounds like some burned out, too-many-LSD-trips flake. Sure, he is the MVP the two previous seasons, but it is very apparent that a QB needs some elite players around to be elite himself.

When the Packers fall to 3-5, after the Bills crush them, and Minnesota probably opens up a 3 1/2 game lead in the NFC South, they could be struggling to hang on for a wild card spot with Philly, NY Giants and Dallas headed for two of those teams that don’t win the NFC East, probably getting two of the three WC spots.

Matt Ryan, is done. The scuttle butt is that Indy wants to prevent throwing good money after bad, where they owe him $12M in guaranteed money for 2023....but want to prevent having the pay $17M MORE against injury. If Ryan cannot pass a physical at the start of 2023....the Colts have to pay up the $17M.

Denver is stuck with Wilson, and his terrible start may cost the new HC his job. He’s the youngest of the dinosaurs, and certainly has a chance to turn it around....but he looks like he is well on his was to extinction as a top their QB.

What is striking, is that Brady, Rodgers and Ryan (and to a lesser extent, Wison) are “dinosaur” QB’s. Basically, pocket passers that cannot outrun your granny.

Tanier described Ryan (and this comes close to describing Brady and maybe even Rodgers).....”
    opponents quickly realized that Ryan, never a scrambler, is now about as mobile as a cellphone tower.

The new breed, typified by Allen and Mahomes, have completely redefined what today’s QB’s skill set must embody to be “elite”. And the plethora of up and coming youngsters verify that the next generation QB has arrived.

Thankfully, the Buffalo Bills are blessed with the prototype 21st century QB. He appears to be poised for a decades+ run at greatness.

• Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Allen and Mahomes are Leading the Changing of the Guard & Burying the Dinosaurs

Allen and Mahomes are the new Elway and Young. I think every team would like to have a guy who is both a great pocket passer and a scrambler but there aren't many of them made.

Comment

• Skooby
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Re: Allen and Mahomes are Leading the Changing of the Guard & Burying the Dinosaurs

Allen was considered inaccurate & had other mechanical issues, not only do teams need to reassess who they might draft they might need to figure there might be a few years needed to get that QB up to speed. Josh was a calculated risk, he’s looking like the best QB in the NFL. It’s like a movie, mix Mike Vick speed / deeks with a 70’s type LB & the arm of a God. I mean how was Josh this missed except by Buffalo??
      Last edited by Skooby; 10-26-2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
        Allen and Mahomes are the new Elway and Young. I think every team would like to have a guy who is both a great pocket passer and a scrambler but there aren't many of them made.
        Yeah I was going to say something similar. There have been a lot of great passers but most haven't been very fast. There have been a lot of fast, athletic QB's but most weren't very good at passing.

I remember I used to love watching Michael Vick because, well, he wasn't on my team. You knew something interesting was going to happen when he had the ball, especially late in close games. You just didn't know if it would be good or bad for his team.

Allen and Mahomes have that Vick level of excitement but their poise is more on par with a Brady or Manning.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Skooby
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          Yeah I was going to say something similar. There have been a lot of great passers but most haven't been very fast. There have been a lot of fast, athletic QB's but most weren't very good at passing.

I remember I used to love watching Michael Vick because, well, he wasn't on my team. You knew something interesting was going to happen when he had the ball, especially late in close games. You just didn't know if it would be good or bad for his team.

Allen and Mahomes have that Vick level of excitement but their poise is more on par with a Brady or Manning.
          I swear I just thought the same thing & posted same time, holy crap you wrote this so well. Brilliant man. Vick was so fun to watch but he had to pass once in a while, good luck there. I’m not sure Vick was Josh type elusive, Josh makes them look stupid.

It’s so scary we have this good a team, it’s really cool.

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
            The difference is that Elway and Young were uncommon and rare during their time. Today, this skill set and style of play is close to essential to be an elite QB.

Comment

• Skooby
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by notacon View Post
              The difference is that Elway and Young were uncommon and rare during their time. Today, this skill set and style of play is close to essential to be an elite QB.
              Young got handed a great squad and coaching, Montana set him up to succeed. Young would be physically damaged in today’s NFL, he wasn’t of large physical stature.

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

I was just talking to a Bills fan I met today here in FL about this. Sometimes I just have to take a minute and almost pinch myself. Does a guy that is THIS good really play for MY team? It's unreal the things he does and he's all ours! You can't go wrong with either Josh or Mahomes but I'm glad we have Josh.

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Skooby View Post
                  Allen was considered inaccurate & had other mechanical issues, not only do teams need to reassess who they might draft they might need to figure there might be a few years needed to get that QB up to speed. Josh was a calculated risk, he’s looking like the best QB in the NFL. It’s like a movie, mix Mike Vick speed / deeks with a 70’s type LB & the arm of a God. I mean how was Josh this missed except by Buffalo??
                  In all reality, he was not “missed except by Buffalo”. Allen was expected to go in the top 10 in 2018, and several reputable mock drafts had him going #1 overall....I posted this not too long ago....

The dissing of Allen was not close to universal before the 2018 draft....at least in the mock drafts. He was mocked in the top 10 or so picks almost everywhere.

Several had him going #1 to the Brownies.

Foe example, Mel Kiper had Josh going #1 overall in his early mock. Ryan Wilson of CBS Sports had Josh going #1 to the Brownies as well. He had Lamar Jackson going to Buffalo.

Another had Josh going #1 overall. And another. And another (this early one had the Giants trading up to grab Josh)

Mel Kiper STILL had Josh going #1 in his final mock of 2018.
                  In reality only two teams passed on him....Cleveland and the NY Jets. Their drafting organization ****ed up, but good. Is it any mystery that the Jets own the current longest playoff drought at 11 years.

And Cleveland, made the playoffs once in the past 20 years. Before 2021, they had the longest playoff drought.....now the Jets own that dubious crown.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                    I was just talking to a Bills fan I met today here in FL about this. Sometimes I just have to take a minute and almost pinch myself. Does a guy that is THIS good really play for MY team? It's unreal the things he does and he's all ours! You can't go wrong with either Josh or Mahomes but I'm glad we have Josh.
                    As a fellow out-of-towner, it's weird to see how much respect we are getting. Even after we beat the local squad, so many people were talking about how fun it is to watch Allen.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                      Josh Allen has a combination of skills and qualities that NO other QB has had in the history of the game.

When Opi says "There have been a lot of great passers but most haven't been very fast. There have been a lot of fast, athletic QB's but most weren't very good at passing.” he’s spot on.

But, it goes further than that. Josh is ****ing HUGE....a bulk of a man. Strong like an OX. Fast....faster than a man that size should be. Strong arm WITH accuracy. Great mind for the game.

And above all, he is tough as nails. Plays the game like a bulldozer, and I suspect that defensive players do NOT want to tackle him when he’s coming at them at full steam.

Athletic and nimble.....the NFL has never seen a QB leap over defensive players like he does. NEVER!!

He is an alien and a unicorn. A freak of nature. And I cannot be happier that he is on MY TEAM!!!! Just like Novacane said....

"Sometimes I just have to take a minute and almost pinch myself. Does a guy that is THIS good really play for MY team”

Comment

• notacon
                        • Aug 2012

The point of this thread is that the old “prototype” of a QB, during the days when Brady, Ryan, Rodgers and (to a lesser degree, Wilson, because he’s a shrimp) were in college and coming up, has now gone the way of the dinosaur.

They are on the verge of extinction.

ALL the youngsters looking to become a NFL star QB are going to be looking at Allen and Mahomes for the ideal.....not Tom Brady.

Very few will be able to match the unicorn physical attributes of Josh Allen, but they can look at Mahomes and Josh as the ideal on how to play the position.

NO ONE trying to become a NFL star is going to be a pocket passer about “as mobile as a cell tower”.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

The point of this thread is that the old “prototype” of a QB, during the days when Brady, Ryan, Rodgers and (to a lesser degree, Wilson, because he’s a shrimp) were in college and coming up, has now gone the way of the dinosaur.

They are on the verge of extinction.
                          The evolution is weird. 20 years ago, guys like the ones you mentioned plus Brees, Rothlisberger, Manning, etc were taking over for the Kelly/Marino/Montana types (yes, I know there was a bit of a gap in there). Those 3 were considered to be statues in the pocket and the younger generation were considered more "mobile," for lack of a better term. They weren't mobile in the Michael Vick sense, but they were mobile in the sense that they could get out of the pocket and gain a yard or two or throw the ball away better than the Kelly/Marino/Montana generation.

Now, that's not even good enough.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

The evolution is weird. 20 years ago, guys like the ones you mentioned plus Brees, Rothlisberger, Manning, etc were taking over for the Kelly/Marino/Montana types (yes, I know there was a bit of a gap in there). Those 3 were considered to be statues in the pocket and the younger generation were considered more "mobile," for lack of a better term. They weren't mobile in the Michael Vick sense, but they were mobile in the sense that they could get out of the pocket and gain a yard or two or throw the ball away better than the Kelly/Marino/Montana generation.

Now, that's not even good enough.
                            I'm convinced this is because as defensive lineman have been getting better and better, offensive lineman have not kept up. QBs have to be extra mobile to stay alive now, even with the rules adjusted for them. I don't know any teams that are completely satisfied with their offensive line play, because there aren't enough good lineman out there.

Meanwhile, our defense has 2 sets of 4 lineman that are able to get pressure on the QB regularly.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby View Post
                              Allen was undercoached and underdeveloped coming out of college. Every team knew. Where development ends up people don't know....

And the truth is players want to play here because they want to play with Josh Allen. So the connection on that draft pick is the whole ball game. How do you think Diggs would be doing with Trent Edwards at QB?

Comment

Working...
                              X