PDA

View Full Version : Chad Kelly 1st start.

ticatfan
10-28-2022, 12:15 PM
Last game of season. Sat 2pm.

ticatfan
10-29-2022, 06:02 AM
His back up is Ben Holmes from orchard Park.

ticatfan
10-31-2022, 07:24 AM
23/35 264 yards 2TD 1int. In a 38-33 loss.

Mace
11-04-2022, 09:27 AM
23/35 264 yards 2TD 1int. In a 38-33 loss.

How did he look on the field? He always looked like a pro QB to me when he was playing.

ticatfan
11-04-2022, 12:02 PM
He threw 2 tds that the other QB would never had tried. He's fearless, but QB BMT should be worried. He look good for the 1ST game.

ticatfan
11-13-2022, 08:54 AM
Off to the Grey Cup. Beat Montreal. Now BC with a QB that could be NFL bound vs Winnipeg, going for a 3peat
ESPN.

ticatfan
11-13-2022, 11:40 AM
Argos/ bombers. Last 3 peat was Edm 78-82. Friend of mine played for them. Last Argos/bombers Grey Cup meeting was 1950.

mightysimi
11-14-2022, 01:56 AM
Let's go Bombers!! They have struggled against the east this year so I worry. Collaros limping off and not finishing the game up 8 needing a first down to win is a bigger one though.

Night Train
11-14-2022, 04:29 AM
Don't know what kind of contract he has in Canada but the USFL and XFL are both starting up soon.

He could easily start for someone in those leagues for exposure. Both have TV contracts.

ticatfan
11-14-2022, 09:48 AM
2 yr.

ticatfan
02-22-2023, 02:47 PM
McLeod bethel Thompson, Argos QB signed with the breakers in the USFL. The door is open for Kelly to step up.

Night Train
02-22-2023, 07:02 PM
McLeod bethel Thompson, Argos QB signed with the breakers in the USFL. The door is open for Kelly to step up.

Interesting. I would think the CFL is a better league pay wise but maybe not. Good for Kelly.

ticatfan
02-22-2023, 09:26 PM
It is. But he's close to home and a wealthy wife.lol wants another shot at the NFL.

ticatfan
03-03-2023, 11:22 AM
Chad Kelly is aware of the situation. He is aware of the opportunity that awaits and he is aware of the work he needs to do in order to win and keep the job he wants.

And he is aware that there are doubters.

“You can’t please them all,” the sophomore quarterback says. “You’ve just got to put in the work and make everybody a believer, right?”

Kelly wants to be the starter for the Toronto Argonauts in 2023 and, indeed, that is what the team would like him to be. With established starter and the Argos’ Most Outstanding Player in 2022, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, opting for a contract with the USFL’s New Orleans Breakers, the door is wide open for Kelly.

Right this way, Chad.

“It feels exciting,” says Kelly. “But also, you know, there’s some pressure right? I mean, we just won the championship. Mac had a fantastic year, he had been an Argo for five years.”
with MacBeth opting to stay stateside, the Argonauts do not presently have an established starter at the position on their roster. There is Kelly and there is Ben Holmes, who went through training camp with Edmonton last year and was picked up by the Argos as a free agent in August. The team announced the signing of 27-year-old Bryan Scott on Wednesday and there will be more quarterbacks brought in and Kelly knows it. He also knows that he is in a very good position to emerge as QB1 with the Argos but by no means is it a job he won’t have to earn.

“If you want it bad enough you’ll find a way,” he says.

“Obviously it’s been a long time waiting (since) I’ve been a starter and have a chance to put my foot in the door and really go in and earn the job. I’m just taking it one step at a time to really work as hard as I can. Harder than I ever had before.”

If doing great football things had come so easily for Kelly, and perhaps they did through high school and into college, the native of Buffalo has had his share of cold water tossed on any expectations that slinging footballs can be just as easy at the pro level. It’s a realization that appears to have taken root with Kelly, whose travels took him to the NFL with Denver and Indianapolis, before he spent over a year out of football, signing with the Argos last winter.

That marriage was a fortuitous one in a couple of ways. For the Argonauts, it paid off when Kelly relieved an injured Bethel-Thompson in the fourth quarter of the Grey Cup game, leading a comeback that gave Toronto an upset win over Winnipeg. Kelly showed off his wheels and toughness in that fourth quarter, converting a second-and-15 with a 20-yard run that ended with him bouncing up after being belted by Winnipeg’s Desmond Lawrence.

Two plays later, Kelly made a quick read against a Blue Bombers’ blitz, zipping a pass into receiver DaVaris Daniels’ breadbasket for another first down at the five-yard-line. The Argos scored the touchdown that would tie the game on an A.J. Ouellette rush on the next play.

For Kelly, signing with Toronto brought him into the world of MBT. The veteran quarterback left quite an impression.

Maaaan,” says Kelly, asked to express what it is that the loquacious and contemplative Bethel-Thompson gifted to him. “It’s hard to put your finger on just one thing.”

In anticipation of this opportunity, Kelly has spent this off-season in Toronto and that, he says, has allowed him to stay connected to the organization and its football facilities. He’s digging in, he’s hunkering down. “I think it’s definitely paid off that I stayed in the city,” he says, adding, “I try to go in there every day.”

He’s working out, he says, three times a day. Does Pilates, he says, then follows up with a throwing/running session and then on to the weight room. Sometimes he hits the hyperbaric chamber he has at home.

He’s keeping an eye on nutrition and his weight, knowing that if he lets that slip, he risks feeling sluggish and he definitely cannot afford that.

“But you know,” says Kelly, offering some self-assessment, “it also is the mental side where I’ve got to get better, right? There’s still so much more I can learn. And to up my game even more I’ve gotta see things even faster, right? Having accelerated vision is what we call it.”

Kelly’s throwing sessions are done with some of his Argo teammates. DaVaris Daniels and Kurleigh Gittens Jr. are among the targets he is getting in sync with, along with Tommy Nield, Dejon Brissett and Brandon Calver, the linebacker the Argos converted to fullback last season.

“Not only are we throwing together,” Kelly points out, “but we’re watching film together too. So that’s kind of good that we’re already on the same page, speaking the same language.”

And he has, of course, lots of direction from head coach Ryan Dinwiddie, who is also the team’s offensive coordinator. That relationship, says Kelly, is growing the way it needs to. “We’re starting to really gain knowledge of what each other is thinking,” he says.
Kelly has some things in common with the man who he is attempting to replace. Like Bethel-Thompson, he has been a football nomad, looking for a place to belong, a place to prosper.

If Bethel-Thompson’s football odyssey was forced on him by scouts and coaches and general managers who never quite gave him the opportunity to stay, to assimilate and to shine, Kelly’s seemed to be more self-inflicted, with scouts and coaches and general managers wanting him to be the man, drooling at the prospect of his strong arm and quick legs propelling him to pro football stardom. Twice, though, Kelly’s progress was stymied, due to personal trouble. In Denver, he was released after an arrest on trespassing charges. In Indianapolis, he was suspended two games for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

The talent has always been there. What about the rest? Bethel-Thompson, it looks like, has played a large role in Kelly’s personal growth.

“I’m not saying that we all can be perfect, but he wanted people to strive for perfect,” says Kelly of his mentor. “He was always hungry and that’s why I think it really drove a lot of guys on the team to really push themselves, myself included.”

“He’s just a very down to Earth guy,” Kelly continues, gratitude dripping from every word. “After the Grey Cup, after everything transpired, we talked and stuff. You know, I’m glad that he’s healed up and he’s ready to go. And I still think he’s definitely hungry. He wants to prove (himself to) people and that’s what I love about Mac.

“I’m thankful that I was in the situation I was in,” says Kelly of his rookie CFL season, one that saw him on the sidelines for the most part as Bethel-Thompson took snap after snap after snap. “I learned so much about the game and just about so many other things.”

Now, in year two, Kelly has a chance to put those lessons to the test as he strives to again be what he once was, as a star in high school and college. The man.

“It means everything,” Kelly says of the opportunity. “It’s the best thing that I have going and I can’t wait to just prove my coaches right.”
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/03/02/landry-chad-kelly-is-ready-to-work-to-be-argos-no-1/

ticatfan
06-18-2023, 11:55 AM
1st start as the starting QB tonight against the Ticats. 7pm.

ticatfan
06-18-2023, 07:10 PM
On CBS

ticatfan
06-18-2023, 07:45 PM
Half time. 22 - 6 Tor. Kelly with 3 rushing tds

Night Train
06-19-2023, 06:35 AM
Half time. 22 - 6 Tor. Kelly with 3 rushing tds

Pre-season ?

ticatfan
06-19-2023, 07:02 AM
Regular.

Forward_Lateral
06-19-2023, 07:59 AM
I forgot this was on, was watching the US open. I will try to watch as many Argos games as I can this year, as I am a huge Chad Kelly fan

ticatfan
06-19-2023, 10:30 AM
I see him heading south next yr. I was back and forth between the open and the game.

Forward_Lateral
06-19-2023, 11:12 AM
I see him heading south next yr. I was back and forth between the open and the game.
I think he will get another chance. It's too bad that he messed up so bad in Denver, but I'm happy that he seems to have gotten his life together and is taking advantage of a second chance.

Maybe he will love the CFL and just stay there? You never know

Night Train
06-20-2023, 07:00 AM
CFL Highlight I'll throw here. This punt return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCcsjEdQiow

Albany,n.y.
06-20-2023, 11:17 PM

XFL or USFL?

ticatfan
06-21-2023, 08:20 AM
NFL.

Forward_Lateral
06-21-2023, 08:33 AM
XFL or USFL?

I don't think he goes anywhere but NFL.

I'm with Ticat

swiper
06-21-2023, 07:07 PM
I forgot this was on, was watching the US open. I will try to watch as many Argos games as I can this year, as I am a huge Chad Kelly fan

Why?

ticatfan
06-21-2023, 09:15 PM
Why?

Why not?

Forward_Lateral
06-22-2023, 06:17 AM
Why?
Because he's a Kelly, and I've been following him since college?

ticatfan
06-25-2023, 05:18 PM
TOR vs EDM. 7pm

ticatfan
07-01-2023, 08:14 PM
BC vs TOR. Both unbeaten. Monday 7pm.CBS

Night Train
07-02-2023, 07:13 AM
How's he doing ? I have stripped down Fios and do not get CBS Sports or the Canadian stations.

ticatfan
07-02-2023, 05:13 PM
Looking good for someone that hasn't played much over the last few yrs. Strong arm.

ticatfan
07-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Go to CFL.CA. Free streaming.

Albany,n.y.
07-03-2023, 08:37 PM
Go to CFL.CA. Free streaming.

Not available in USA.

I'm watching on CBS sports. Chad Kelly is lighting it up & Jim is in the stands cheering him on.

Forward_Lateral
07-04-2023, 10:43 AM
He's made for the CFL, IMO. He can run and pass. He played really well yesterday against the best D in the CFL

ticatfan
07-04-2023, 12:22 PM
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/03/argos-dominate-lions-to-stay-undefeated/

ticatfan
07-14-2023, 12:14 PM
Vs Montreal. 730pm. Toronto averging 40pts per game.

ticatfan
07-14-2023, 08:09 PM
10 - 7 Montréal. Half time.

Forward_Lateral
07-15-2023, 07:21 AM
21-25 351 yards 3TD plus a rushing TD. 1 INT

35-27 win.

Kelly looking like a POTY favourite

ticatfan
07-15-2023, 08:18 PM
Dustin Crum, Ottawa 4 QB in 5 games, looks like Kelly's younger brother. Huge 4th quarter comeback and win it in OT.

ticatfan
07-21-2023, 11:40 AM
Tor 4-0) VS Ticats. (2-3) 7.30.

Forward_Lateral
07-21-2023, 03:44 PM
Tor 4-0) VS Ticats. (2-3) 7.30.
Telepathically remind me.

Jays are in Seattle so I won't be consumed with that.

ticatfan
07-21-2023, 06:16 PM
15 minutes.

ticatfan
07-21-2023, 06:53 PM
7 - 0 Argos. Nice 50 yrd bomb by Kelly and a one handed catch, the run in by the RB.

ticatfan
07-21-2023, 08:06 PM
Half time. Tor - 20 - 3.
Kelly- 15/19 248yrds. 2 td.
Taylor powell. 1st CFL start.
13/19 129 yards, 1 int

ticatfan
07-22-2023, 08:40 AM
31-15. Argos look unstoppable.

ticatfan
07-22-2023, 08:44 AM
31-15. Argos look unstoppable. Last 5- 0 start was 1960. Tobin Rote was QB.

Night Train
07-23-2023, 04:16 PM
31-15. Argos look unstoppable. Last 5- 0 start was 1960. Tobin Rote was QB.

I saw Tobin Rote play QB for the SD Chargers. Later succeeded by John Hadl. Bills beat Rote for the AFL title.

See ! We once won something ! :up:

ticatfan
07-23-2023, 08:15 PM
Last time they were 4 - 0 was 1983. QB was Condredge Holloway.

Night Train
07-24-2023, 08:15 AM
Last time they were 4 - 0 was 1983. QB was Condredge Holloway.

The Artful Dodger. Great college QB at Tenny. That's when most every NFL GM believed black QB's didn't have enough brains to be NFL QB's. Idiots. See Warren Moon.

YardRat
07-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Loved the 'dinner table' TD celebration.

ticatfan
07-28-2023, 11:24 AM
Sask @ Toronto. Sat, 4.00pm

ticatfan
07-29-2023, 06:34 PM
Argos - 31 Sask - 13
Last 6 - 0 start, 1935. QB Harold Arnup

ticatfan
08-04-2023, 08:09 PM
Tor at Calgary 9pm. Argos have never gone 7 - 0 in its 150 yr history.

ticatfan
08-04-2023, 09:25 PM
Half time. Calgary 17 - 7. Kelly limped off field. Rookie Cameron Dukes is in.

Forward_Lateral
08-14-2023, 06:10 AM
Chad was 21-28 for 417, 4 TDs, 1 INT last night in a 44-31 win over Ottawa

YardRat
08-14-2023, 06:12 AM
So the injury only cost him the second half of the last game? Good news.

Forward_Lateral
08-14-2023, 06:44 AM
So the injury only cost him the second half of the last game? Good news.
Yeah, I think it was more precautionary than anything.

ticatfan
08-25-2023, 08:10 PM
Half time.
Tor 24 - Calgary 21. Kelly 13/20 247yrds, 2td, 2 int

ticatfan
08-25-2023, 09:05 PM
Start of 4th.
31 - 31

ticatfan
08-25-2023, 09:25 PM
38 - 31 Tor. Punt return. 7 minutes left

ticatfan
08-26-2023, 08:27 AM
39 - 31

ticatfan
08-31-2023, 07:38 AM
Signed a 3 yr extension with Argos.

Forward_Lateral
09-01-2023, 06:33 AM
Signed a 3 yr extension with Argos.
Highest paid player in the CFL

3 years, 1.8 million

ticatfan
09-01-2023, 10:27 AM
Toronto Argonauts quarterback Chad Kelly sent a message to the pro football world with his three-year contract extension on Thursday.

“I wanted to do this because I want everybody to know that I’m committed to making this team better, to producing for Toronto,” the star pivot told the assembled Toronto media.

“I love it here. I want to spend the next 50 years here. This is my home now and I look forward to a lot of great memories to come and I just want to show that I’m committed to being here.”

Kelly’s new deal, which will keep him with the team through 2026, will pay him $1.865 million over the course of the contract. With $615,000 coming down the pipe in 2024 and $625,000 in each of the two subsequent seasons, the 29-year-old has claimed the title of the CFL’s highest-paid player.

However, the most important detail of the agreement may be the structure of his signing bonus. Kelly can collect $250,000 up front next year, but only if he doesn’t take advantage of the NFL window included in all CFL contracts. That would mean an NFL team would have to provide significant financial or playtime guarantees to make leaving Toronto worthwhile.

While he would not completely dismiss the possibility of returning to the NFL, Kelly was adamant about where his focus lies.

“I’m committed to being here right now and our focus is being here,” he said. “Do I want to stay in Toronto? Yes, I do. My focus is this year and whatever happens beyond is out of my control, but I’m committed to being a Toronto Argonaut.”

Kelly has long expressed a desire to return to the NFL, where he spent four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts and Denver Broncos after being selected with the final pick of the 2017 Draft. With the six-foot-two, 216-pound signal caller establishing himself as the frontrunner for Most Outstanding Player through the first half of the year, there could be interest this offseason despite his age.

Nevertheless, the story of Nathan Rourke has provided a cautionary tale for how the league down south values CFL quarterbacks in the pecking order. Kelly has now secured financial certainty that will be difficult to turn down. In exchange, the Argonauts have locked down a franchise player who has dazzled on the field and at the box office.

Having already inked head coach Ryan Dinwiddie to a multi-year extension in July, general manager Michael ‘Pinball’ Clemons believes the groundwork has been laid for the team to become perennial Grey Cup contenders.

“Having the two pillars of our organization locked up and moving forward is paramount to our long-term success,” he told reporters. “As we keep moving forward, there’ll be some other work that we certainly have to do as a part of that foundation. Two guys don’t make a foundation but they’re a heck of a start.”

Getting Kelly to put pen to paper hardly took an elite sales job, however. The quarterback has bought in to the community, the organization and the league.

“I haven’t had this much fun, honestly, since I was playing Grand Island Junior Vikings,” Kelly laughed, referencing his old minor football team.

“It’s about dedication, really. When you’re fully dedicated to what you love, everything makes it so much easier and you’re so much more thankful for everything you’ve been through.”

In his first season as a CFL starter, the Buffalo native has been playing like a little kid again. He’s completed 149-of-213 passes (70 percent) for 2,402 passing yards with 16 passing touchdowns versus seven interceptions in 2023 while rushing for 135 yards and six majors.

The Kelly-led Argos’ offence is averaging 29.2 offensive points per game and 380.9 yards of offence per game, both rank second in the CFL. That is about more than just the quarterback’s play on the field.

“I make the comparison to Doug Flutie. When Doug is on your team, that guy watches so much film, he just tells you what to do. Chad does it a different way,” Pinball explained.

“He has guys, more than we’ve ever had, staying in after the allotted time. Coming in early or staying late or both and studying together, watching film together. He’s exceeded every expectation.”

Those extra hours and added community work have become Kelly’s calling card in Toronto. He has matured into the starting role, bidding farewell to the rabble-rousing reputation that defined his time in college and the NFL.

Expectations for the Ole Miss product are high for the remainder of the season and the duration of this monster contract, but Clemons will not give voice to more pressure.

“The reality is Chad is going to speak for himself,” he said. “This is still the first half-season that he’s played as a starting quarterback and so we won’t write that script. We’ll leave that up to him, but I’m sure that, at some level, we won’t have to say anything. Because if he continues to move in this direction, we will be speechless.”

The Argos (8-1) are scheduled to return to action on Monday, September 4 when they take on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (4-6) in the Labour Day Classic.

https://3downnation.com/2023/09/01/this-is-my-home-now-qb-chad-kelly-committed-to-argonauts-avoids-nfl-question/

Forward_Lateral
09-01-2023, 12:26 PM
It just reminds us that sometimes, it's not always about the money. He could probably sign with an NFL team as a backup next year, for probably the same, if not more money, but barring some kind of injury, who knows if he'd ever see the field? He loves to play the game. Making 600k a year here, he can have a great life. Plus he's very close to Buffalo, his home.

ticatfan
09-04-2023, 11:35 AM
Labour day classic.
Argo @ Ticats. 3:30 pm. CBS.
Almost as big as the grey cup.

ticatfan
09-04-2023, 02:36 PM
B-25 and Lancaster flyover. Sweet!!

ticatfan
09-04-2023, 06:47 PM
Ticats suck.

ticatfan
11-11-2023, 01:07 PM
East final. Argos- Als. 3:00pm

ticatfan
11-11-2023, 05:07 PM
38- 17 Montreal. Chad was brutal.

Novacane
11-11-2023, 06:29 PM
What does a ticket cost for an Argos game? A good seat?

ticatfan
11-11-2023, 07:38 PM
$13- $120. Average $40. Their site says. 26,500 at game today.

ticatfan
11-15-2023, 11:09 AM
It feels like a nightmare for Chad Kelly but it’s reality.

The Argonauts’ franchise quarterback had the worst performance of his Canadian Football League career to date as Montreal took down his 16-2 team 38-17 in the Eastern Final.

“You can’t turn the ball over as many times as we did on offence, I made it a lot harder on the defence than it should’ve been. This loss is on me, I take full responsibility [for] throwing those mistakes out there, playing careless with the football and trying to do too much,” Kelly said post-game.

The league’s all-star QB completed 21-of-36 passes (58.3 percent) for 246 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions. He fumbled once while turning it over three times on downs. However, Kelly was not sacked once in the game by the Alouettes.

“I think the O-line did a great job. We tried making adjustments. It wasn’t our night,” Kelly said.

Toronto tied the record for the best regular-season win total in CFL history, which had been singularly held by the 1989 Edmonton Football Team. Edmonton was famously upset in the Western Final by a 9-9 Saskatchewan Roughriders group who went on to capture the Grey Cup.

“No question it hurts more. If you were a 9-9 team, you come in here and things don’t work out your way… but the season we had and we’re playing at home in front of the crowd that showed up… we’re pretty embarrassed by the performance we gave to the city of Toronto and our fans,” Argos’ head coach Ryan Dinwiddie said.

“We were trying to make the big play and sometimes you’ve just gotta move the chains. He’s still a young quarterback, he’s only started 19 games. We feel like Chad is going to give us a chance to get back here next year. He’s hurting and we’re all hurting.”

During the regular schedule, Kelly completed 270-of-394 passes (69 percent) for 4,123 yards with 23 touchdowns versus 12 interceptions. The 29-year-old added 41 carries for 248 yards with eight majors on the ground in 18 games. The Double Blue won every game he played from start to finish.

Dinwiddie was “shocked” by the way No. 12 played at BMO Field in front of a record crowd of 26,620 on Saturday.

“One of the things I was trying to tell Chad going into this game — he didn’t have to be a superhero and sometimes we’ve got to let pays die. Unfortunately, we had two pick-sixes and that really changed the game,” Dinwiddie said. “At times, I think he was a little out of sorts. We turned the ball over too much. Our defence did enough for us to win that game.”

Kelly has to travel to Niagara Falls for the CFL Awards on Thursday night because he earned the East Division nomination for the league’s Most Outstanding Player award. He’ll only need to pack a suit and street clothes for the trip with the Als pulling a major upset that’s left him feeling numb.

“Words can’t explain the feeling I’m feeling right now, but I’m not in a position like that if it’s not for my teammates,” Kelly said. “I’m just thankful to have the group of guys around me like we do.”

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/12/this-loss-is-on-me-chad-kelly-takes-full-responsibility-for-16-2-argos-losing-east-final/

mightysimi
11-15-2023, 11:58 AM
Not completely sad the game went this way. Toronto was a good team.

ticatfan
11-15-2023, 09:04 PM
Not completely sad the game went this way. Toronto was a good team.

True. Next year,they should still be strong. But any chance Kelly had to get back south, is gone.lol Go Als.

ticatfan
11-15-2023, 09:06 PM
Grey cup should be a battle of the RBs.

mightysimi
11-16-2023, 03:53 PM
Grey cup should be a battle of the RBs.
although Fajardo has been running a bit lately. Look at Ford in Edmonton, running QB is on the way in the CFL big time. Even Kelly runs a bunch. Collaros still needs an elite line and great WRs.

ticatfan
05-07-2024, 07:30 PM
Kelly suspended 9 games.

Forward_Lateral
05-08-2024, 06:16 AM
Dumb bastard

mightysimi
05-08-2024, 01:33 PM
Kelly suspended 9 games.
isn't there court stuff too? Not sure he sees the field for a while.

ckg927
05-08-2024, 02:10 PM
There is.

Woodman
05-09-2024, 11:02 AM
Dumb bastard

You are too kind.

Forward_Lateral
05-09-2024, 12:30 PM
I'd bet it gets settled out of court

ticatfan
05-10-2024, 11:54 AM
Has to do some courses.

kscdogbillsfan1221
05-11-2024, 06:17 PM
he's a 'good kid'
just ask wagoncircler

ticatfan
05-13-2024, 07:01 AM
Can't even show up at training camp. Should just cut him. Cameron Duke is the new #1 for now.

DetoxTent
05-15-2024, 09:34 AM
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/toronto-argonauts-move-quarterback-chad-kelly-to-suspended-list-1.2121269

DetoxTent
05-15-2024, 09:40 AM
Chad Kelly decided to take his talents to the CFL after failing to make a mark in the NFL, but his future is once again up in the air now that he’s been suspended by the league due to an incident with a female trainer who claims he threatened her after she spurned his romantic advances.

If you’ve kept tabs on Chad Kelly (https://brobible.com/tag/chad-kelly/) over the years, you probably know the quarterback’s career has been largely defined by his inability to stay out of trouble while costing himself in the process.

https://brobible.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/chad-kelly-argonauts.jpg?resize=1083,609

The nephew of legendary Bills quarterback Jim Kelly spent a couple of seasons at Clemson before he was dismissed for conduct detrimental to the team. He spent a year in exile at East Mississippi Community College and landed in hot water after being arrested for assault (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-commit-chad-kelly-arrested-lawyer-disputes-assault-charges/) before linking up with Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, where he bounced back in a big way thanks to his stellar junior season.

Unfortunately, his senior campaign was cut short by a knee industry that (along with his off-the-field issues) undoubtedly contributed to him earning Mr. Irrelevant honors when the Broncos selected him with the last overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Kelly was cut by Denver the following year after being arrested yet again for drunkenly stumbling into a stranger’s house following a Halloween party. He got another opportunity with the Colts but never saw any action, and when he was released in 2020, his NFL career effectively came to an end following four seasons where he played a grand total of one snap (a kneel at the end of a game).

The QB eventually got the chance to reboot his career with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL (https://brobible.com/tag/cfl/) and took full advantage. He came off the bench to lead his squad to a Grey Cup victory in 2022 and earned Most Oustanding Players honors in 2023 after securing the starting role, and it seemed like the 30-year-old had finally managed to turn things around.

However, things took a turn earlier this year when a female strength and conditioning coach who’d been employed by the Argonauts sued Kelly and the team (https://brobible.com/sports/article/chad-kelly-being-sued-harassment-argos-strength-coach/). In the filing, she asserted she was subjected to “unwanted romantic advances” from the QB and that the team ignored her complaints and ultimately fired her after he verbally threatened her when she turned him down.

Kelly firmly denied any wrongdoing on his part, but according to Pro Football Talk (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/cfl-suspends-chad-kelly-at-least-9-games-for-actions-toward-female-strength-coach), the CFL determined there was merit to those claims before deciding to hit him with a nine-game suspension while ordering him to undergo counseling he must complete if he wants to be reinstated.

The CFL preseason is slated to kick off later this month before the regular season gets underway in June, and as things currently stand, Kelly won’t be eligible to suit up until toward the end of August.

LINK (https://brobible.com/sports/article/chad-kelly-suspended-nine-games-cfl-threatening-female-trainer/)

ticatfan
05-17-2024, 06:52 PM
Kelly will not attend anything with the team. Right now he's saying all the right things, about earning his way back in. Can he change? I hope, but I doubt it.