PDA

View Full Version : Things that bothered me yesterday.

Forward_Lateral
11-07-2022, 06:10 AM
First, I'm not going to make any excuses for Josh, or the rest of the team. They stunk. It started with a blown Golden Opportunity getting the ball at mid field to start the game, then marching down, only to hand the Jets a gift turnover. Now, let me point out some things that really bothered me during the game, and even more today.

1.) I have no idea how the referees called that Edmunds INT a catch by the Jet. You could clearly see that he had it in his arm, as he was falling to the ground. I have no idea what they saw there.

2.) What was Knox doing? The number one rule in football is to run IN FRONT of a defender, not behind them, when running a crossing pattern. Why on earth did he run behind the defender on that first INT?

3.) Gabe Davis has STUNK since the Baltimore game. Flat out junk. Dropping passes, running the wrong route, etc. Not sure what's going on with him, but he better figure it out fast.

4.) Frazier's scheme yesterday was GARBAGE. If the Jets are just going to 3 step drop and pass every time, maybe you might want to call coverages that aren't 7 yards off the ball? Just a thought. Maybe the backups don't have as much confidence of the coaches that we think.

5.) After not calling a single holding penalty ALL GAME, why throw one with 1:30 left, when the game is in the balance? So maddening and such BS.

6.) The O-line got abused yesterday.

Woodman
11-07-2022, 06:13 AM
number 5 is what I wanted to know why when it's all on the line?

Mace
11-07-2022, 07:52 AM
4.) Frazier's scheme yesterday was GARBAGE. If the Jets are just going to 3 step drop and pass every time, maybe you might want to call coverages that aren't 7 yards off the ball? Just a thought. Maybe the backups don't have as much confidence of the coaches that we think.

It's probably time to face the fact McFrazier are not particularly good defensive minds. They installed a versatile conservative base defense and maintain it capably, but the defense is dependent on the players playing in it at the moment, because the coaching does not adapt it. There is no innovation, creativity or flexibility for any dynamic adjustment beyond the most basic concepts. They just count on it to work like plug and play, and some teams recognize it and prey on it predictably.

Always strikes me how they just line up the same, then react to what happens. You don't see players shifting around reacting to presnap looks, you don't see Edmunds as the defensive signal caller directing anyone anywhere in reaction to what he sees. You don't see anyone doing it. They're confined to how they line up and wait for the snap.

They just plug and play and hope it works. If it doesn't, they say they'll fix it, but next game you'll see them do the same thing again. They have no insights, no bag of tricks. They're base competent and have nothing else to offer despite their years in the league looking at offenses.

YardRat
11-07-2022, 08:25 AM
First, I'm not going to make any excuses for Josh, or the rest of the team. They stunk. It started with a blown Golden Opportunity getting the ball at mid field to start the game, then marching down, only to hand the Jets a gift turnover. Now, let me point out some things that really bothered me during the game, and even more today.

1.) I have no idea how the referees called that Edmunds INT a catch by the Jet. You could clearly see that he had it in his arm, as he was falling to the ground. I have no idea what they saw there.

McDermott just said the sideline ref told him it was definitely simultaneous possession going to the ground and it wouldn't be a good challenge. My initial reaction is I don't know why he's taking advice from a ref.

2.) What was Knox doing? The number one rule in football is to run IN FRONT of a defender, not behind them, when running a crossing pattern. Why on earth did he run behind the defender on that first INT?

That isn't necessarily true. #1-Even generally speaking, unless it's a sit down route or specific for the zone, if a receiver can get behind the defender they do. #2-Buffalo's wide receivers allegedly have the leeway to read and react and adjust their routes accordingly, moreso than some other teams. #3--Knox was well behind the defender, well before Allen went to throw. That was just a **** play by Josh, and we've seen him hit similar plays probably 100 times.

3.) Gabe Davis has STUNK since the Baltimore game. Flat out junk. Dropping passes, running the wrong route, etc. Not sure what's going on with him, but he better figure it out fast.

Yes he has. His glue hands have turned to stone.

He sent different pressure, the d-line got owned. We're supposed to be able to get pressure with four but NY's rag-tag bunch of scrubs man-handled our 'fearesome' defensive line far too easily.

5.) After not calling a single holding penalty ALL GAME, why throw one with 1:30 left, when the game is in the balance? So maddening and such BS.

That's football and the influence refs can have on a game. Maybe it's the same reason that KC gets a ticky-tack PI call to give them the chance to pull out a win.

6.) The O-line got abused yesterday.

Yeah they did. The Jets defense is good.

sukie
11-07-2022, 09:17 AM
Was the Edmunds play challengable because they didn’t look at it but as usual, edmunds got out worked when on the ground.

Cheese Balls , utz brand to be exact… they stick to your teeth for at least a half hour. Goldfish do as well.

Mace
11-07-2022, 11:42 AM
If you put a crap unchanging basic defense on the field every game, you can't expect the offense to magically win every game when your best running back is the qb made of dreams and you're lost about nothing else working. This isn't the first couple years of a program any more. It upsets me.

Turf
11-07-2022, 11:58 AM
There was no downside at that point in the game for losing a TO and challenge. I think they would have reversed it. Josh's first INT was horrendous and very unlike him.