PDA

View Full Version : Someone needs to talk to Allen, Maybe Von?

ghz in pittsburgh
11-13-2022, 09:00 AM
This is where I think we miss Daboll. Not so much play design etc., but he's able to to get into Allen head, to slowly turn his hero ball mindset back into an all around QB. Dorsey seems to have the same kind of aggressive mindset Allen has. We are having the end of last year kind of offense at the beginning of the year to now jerky uneven offense. And I will say the turning point is that Steelers game where big play after big play seemed to get into their heads.

Another November swoop and I hope they get out soon.

Cntrygal
11-13-2022, 09:02 AM
This is where I think we miss Daboll. Not so much play design etc., but he's able to to get into Allen head, to slowly turn his hero ball mindset back into an all around QB. Dorsey seems to have the same kind of aggressive mindset Allen has. We are having the end of last year kind of offense at the beginning of the year to now jerky uneven offense. And I will say the turning point is that Steelers game where big play after big play seemed to get into their heads.

Another November swoop and I hope they get out soon.

Von has said in podcasts that he's not really a vocal leader type (unless asked questions)... he leads more by example.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-13-2022, 09:16 AM
Von has said in podcasts that he's not really a vocal leader type (unless asked questions)... he leads more by example.
I'm not expecting Von to ba a rah-rah guy. He came across as a more football smart/savvy guy. His inspiration to be a GM says it all. I think he has played enough QBs to know their differences and what good ones from mediocre to bad guys. If anything else, thses last few games showed everyone Allen is not really on Mahomes level yet. Allen has some skills no one, including Mahomes, has. He's coming a long way to where he's today. But he is still in the process of harnessing his raw talent. I'd say Von can see that. Some mental strength, knowing what mistakes to avoid in some of the critical situations is still to be had.

This is not the Allen in that Houston playoff game in OT playing on fumes. But you see some of the same at the end of the OT where his mind is singularly set on one thing: throw to endzone.

Cntrygal
11-13-2022, 09:18 AM
I'm not expecting Von to ba a rah-rah guy. He came across as a more football smart/savvy guy. His inspiration to be a GM says it all. I think he has played enough QBs to know their differences and what good ones from mediocre to bad guys. If anything else, thses last few games showed everyone Allen is not really on Mahomes level yet. Allen has some skills no one, including Mahomes, has. He's coming a long way to where he's today. But he is still in the process of harnessing his raw talent. I'd say Von can see that. Some mental strength, knowing what mistakes to avoid in some of the critical situations is still to be had.

This is not the Allen in that Houston playoff game in OT playing on fumes. But you see some of the same at the end of the OT where his mind is singularly set on one thing: throw to endzone.

I agree with you.

I want someone - anyone to speak up at this point. Hell.... I'd love to give a little "motivational" speech to the damn coaches about stepping on throats and crushing souls.

sukie
11-13-2022, 09:23 AM
Maybe Dorsey can trash a booth

Mace
11-13-2022, 09:24 AM
Kind of wonder if there isn't more wrong with Allen than the elbow.

Would be great if Von could start the motivating with the defense though.

sahlensguy
11-13-2022, 09:31 AM
Not blaming Von, but he's built up Josh since he got here. "Best qb in the league" blah blah blah. Other team mates have followed suit. "That's my qb" etc. Allen didn't even need the hype from his team mates, but they did it anyway.

This is on McD for not keeping their eye on the prize. They've blinked.

paladin warrior
11-13-2022, 09:35 AM
No need talk to owner. Need fire Head coach. For screw up everything and last year .

paladin warrior
11-13-2022, 09:42 AM
And fire Defense coach. Terrible CB . Cant stop T E and WR . And RB cook .

ghz in pittsburgh
11-13-2022, 09:49 AM
To be fair, Cousins threw a few jump balls to Jefferson and he came down with them.

Woodman
11-14-2022, 02:31 AM
I agree with you.

I want someone - anyone to speak up at this point. Hell.... I'd love to give a little "motivational" speech to the damn coaches about stepping on throats and crushing souls.

:10:
KILLER INSTINCT !!

sahlensguy
11-14-2022, 03:06 AM
Von isn't the vocal leader I thought he would be. He's been a serious let down. Sure he says he leads more by example, but he has said plenty and it's what he has NOT said that is missing.

I haven't heard him temper expectations at all. We haven't won **** yet. Never heard him say anything like that when we were rolling. Just...we'll celebrate this one tonight and then on to the next one...Josh is a creature...I've been on great teams and this one has what it takes.

No problem with any of it. All positive stuff.

But yeah, it's what he didn't say is what this team needs to hear.

Stay humble. Stay hungry. Because they didn't win ****.

Disappointed in this great vet who's been around a bunch.

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2022, 05:27 AM
Nobody needs to talk to him. He knows he's playing like crap. Dorsey isn't helping. The playcalling stinks.

Also, I'd like to know why he went from taking what the D was giving him all season, to forcing it the past 2-3 weeks.

sahlensguy
11-14-2022, 05:33 AM
Nobody needs to talk to him. He knows he's playing like crap. Dorsey isn't helping. The playcalling stinks.

Also, I'd like to know why he went from taking what the D was giving him all season, to forcing it the past 2-3 weeks.

Good question.

He lacks a leader. McD ain't it. The rookie OC ain't it. Even Von, who has only built Josh up, ain't it. It is catching up to him now. I guess Daboll was that guy who developed Josh and reigned him in some. No one else besides Josh is doing that now.

YardRat
11-14-2022, 12:26 PM
Von may not be a 'vocal' leader in the traditional sense, but I'm betting he's like EF Hutton...when he speaks, everybody listens. He has introduced and drilled into the others the "we don't blink" mantra. Maybe he's not getting in guys faces and yelling it at the top of his lungs, but he's still sending a verbal message. I'd be stunned if Miller hasn't said to Allen "Dude...you're better than that, and you know it" already.

sahlensguy
11-14-2022, 12:40 PM
Von may not be a 'vocal' leader in the traditional sense, but I'm betting he's like EF Hutton...when he speaks, everybody listens. He has introduced and drilled into the others the "we don't blink" mantra. Maybe he's not getting in guys faces and yelling it at the top of his lungs, but he's still sending a verbal message. I'd be stunned if Miller hasn't said to Allen "Dude...you're better than that, and you know it" already.

Sure everyone listens. And there in lies the problem.
He doesn't say it loudly, but he's been beating the drum of the the greatness of this team and that of Josh since he got here up to the bi. They all bought in to some degree. He's in Josh's jock and I doubt his words are going to make a big difference now. It's not his team anyhow.

Von should have been tempering expectations and told them to prove things first on the field.

DraftBoy
11-14-2022, 06:37 PM
Sure everyone listens. And there in lies the problem.
He doesn't say it loudly, but he's been beating the drum of the the greatness of this team and that of Josh since he got here up to the bi. They all bought in to some degree. He's in Josh's jock and I doubt his words are going to make a big difference now. It's not his team anyhow.

Von should have been tempering expectations and told them to prove things first on the field.

Why? That’s not his job.

He was brought in to a be a final piece to make a Super Bowl run.

YardRat
11-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Why? That’s not his job.

Leadership and championship experience are a couple of reasons why he is considered a final piece to begin with.

sahlensguy
11-14-2022, 11:43 PM
Why? That’s not his job.

Why didn't you say this to the OP?

DraftBoy
11-14-2022, 11:48 PM
Leadership and championship experience are a couple of reasons why he is considered a final piece to begin with.

Yes and as he said in his own words, he is a leader by example. He didn't advertise that he was some vocal rah rah leader in the locker room.

If we needed to find a cheerleader for the locker room because players are in their own feelings about playing poorly then Beane has some work to do for next season.

DraftBoy
11-14-2022, 11:48 PM
Why didn't you say this to the OP?

Because your post sparked the response, hence my quote and reply. The OP didn't.

sahlensguy
11-15-2022, 12:04 AM
Yes and as he said in his own words, he is a leader by example. He didn't advertise that he was some vocal rah rah leader in the locker room.

If we needed to find a cheerleader for the locker room because players are in their own feelings about playing poorly then Beane has some work to do for next season.

Von may say he leads by example but people absolutely listen to what he has to say. By building this team up, Von has done this team no favors.

- - - Updated - - -

Because your post sparked the response, hence my quote and reply. The OP didn't.

I mean it was right there in the title...

Historian
11-16-2022, 12:17 AM
Problem is...who's going to speak to Von?