Have the Bills ever been on the WINNING end of a disastrous choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Have the Bills ever been on the WINNING end of a disastrous choke?

We have this thread to discuss all the times the Bills snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Many come to mind, but two really stick out to me: Season opener at home against the Jags, 2004. Bills lead for 59:58 seconds and Jax wins on the last play. Season opener in 2002. Bills and Jets go to OT tied at 31. Bills kick off and it's returned for a touchdown. Two of my personal favs! :up:

But, have the Bills ever been on the winning end of a similar implosion?

The closest game I can think of is the 2007 game against Washington, which I attended. It was their first home game after safety Sean Taylor was shot and killed.

The Bills were down by 2 as time was about to expire. Rian Lindell was about to attempt a 51 yard FG. The weather was unusually bad. It was in the 40's with a lot of wind and rain, so it was a difficult kick. But, Washington coach Joe Gibbs wanted to ice the kicker and called time out. Then, as the Bills lined up again, Gibbs called time out AGAIN. They had just changed the rules so that it was unsportsmanlike conduct to use 2 timeouts on the same play. So, Washington got flagged for 15 yards. The 51 yard attempt became a much easier 36 yard attempt, that Lindell nailed.

It wasn't as epic as all the losses being discussed in the other thread, but Gibbs made a critical mistake that made it much easier for us to make that kick.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Have the Bills ever been on the WINNING end of a disastrous choke?

Is this a serious question?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Uh… I can’t say it… just think about it.

Comment

• notacon
        • Aug 2012

Jesus. This place is insufferable with the loser crap coming from ‘the SKY IS FALLING Brigade'

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
          Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
          • Nov 2012

1/3/93

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SMOKE IT View Post
            1/3/93
            Right, that was a big one to forget. But that was nearly 30 years ago and we have a LOOOOOOONGGG list of chokes that we lost and basically nothing else in our favor.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              We have this thread to discuss all the times the Bills snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Many come to mind, but two really stick out to me: Season opener at home against the Jags, 2004. Bills lead for 59:58 seconds and Jax wins on the last play. Season opener in 2002. Bills and Jets go to OT tied at 31. Bills kick off and it's returned for a touchdown. Two of my personal favs! :up:

But, have the Bills ever been on the winning end of a similar implosion?

The closest game I can think of is the 2007 game against Washington, which I attended. It was their first home game after safety Sean Taylor was shot and killed.

The Bills were down by 2 as time was about to expire. Rian Lindell was about to attempt a 51 yard FG. The weather was unusually bad. It was in the 40's with a lot of wind and rain, so it was a difficult kick. But, Washington coach Joe Gibbs wanted to ice the kicker and called time out. Then, as the Bills lined up again, Gibbs called time out AGAIN. They had just changed the rules so that it was unsportsmanlike conduct to use 2 timeouts on the same play. So, Washington got flagged for 15 yards. The 51 yard attempt became a much easier 36 yard attempt, that Lindell nailed.

It wasn't as epic as all the losses being discussed in the other thread, but Gibbs made a critical mistake that made it much easier for us to make that kick.
              10/2/2022
              I came.
              I saw.
              I conquered.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

I feel like we've been paying for the Oiler comeback ever since it happened.

Comment

Working...
                X