X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kscdogbillsfan1221
    • Nov 2007

I’m in the minority but

I didn’t hate the call to go for it up 10 with the opponent backed up in their end zone on 4th and 2

in my mind, a touchdown basically ends this. Let’s put this away now. A field goal and you’re still up 2 scores as opposed to 3. Huge difference.

what I DID mind was the play calling the third and fourth downs. Stupid. Unimaginative. Hell, even a josh sweep or sneak gets that done and they essentially put the game out of reach.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.
  • sahlensguy
    • Mar 2015

Re: I’m in the minority but

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    I didn’t hate the call to go for it up 10 with the opponent backed up in their end zone on 4th and 2

in my mind, a touchdown basically ends this. Let’s put this away now. A field goal and you’re still up 2 scores as opposed to 3. Huge difference.

what I DID mind was the play calling the third and fourth downs. Stupid. Unimaginative. Hell, even a josh sweep or sneak gets that done and they essentially put the game out of reach.
    I hated it because we were not playing with momentum there.

Take the points in that case, imo.

Comment

• John Doe
      Florida Man
      • Jul 2002

Yes, you are only up 2 scores if you go for the field goal. But, all you need is another field goal to go up 3 scores. It was one of the turning points of the game.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
        Yes, you are only up 2 scores if you go for the field goal. But, all you need is another field goal to go up 3 scores. It was one of the turning points of the game.
        No
        still 2 scores
        another 3 you’re up 16
        and unlikely as that is, it’s two touchdowns and 2 extra points. Still a 2 possession game

my point being is that 17 points makes ALL the difference as to outcome (or Should have anyway)
        Last edited by kscdogbillsfan1221; 11-14-2022, 10:10 AM.
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

I minded that they pretty much had to do it, because there was no stopping Kirk Cousins and the 24th ranked rushing offense from imposing their will casually on our defense like we were an expansion team.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Going for it should have worked out ..... Josh RPO was all it would have taken IMO as well.

When he gets a head of steam going ....... look out ..... he's so extremely hard to stop when he wants it.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

No
              still 2 scores
              another 3 you’re up 16
              and unlikely as that is, it’s two touchdowns and 2 extra points. Still a 2 possession game

my point being is that 17 points makes ALL the difference as to outcome (or Should have anyway)
              And sometimes 13 points puts the game away as in this case.

Comment

• John Doe
                Florida Man
                • Jul 2002

No
                still 2 scores
                another 3 you’re up 16

The probability of success on a short field goal is much greater than a 5 yard gain. There is a time to take the 3 points instead of risking a momentum changing stop. And, that is just what happened.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I didn't mind it at the time either, kind of gotten used to them going for it on fourth down, but I would have taken the three if it was my call.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

McDermott is too conservative, except when he takes too many chances.

We need to run the ball more when we're winning, except when we're supposed to step on our opponents throat and go for the jugular.

We need to stop listening to analytics so much and start paying attention to what the analytics are saying.

We were a batted pass on 4th and 18 away from winning this game, I'm over it. We don't need to get rid of our coach, or our coordinator, or rebuild. Who were we missing on defense? Our top 2 CBs, top 2 safeties, Edmunds in the 2nd half, and Rosseau? Sometimes Bills fans just have to relax. **** happens.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
                      • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                      I minded that they pretty much had to do it, because there was no stopping Kirk Cousins and the 24th ranked rushing offense from imposing their will casually on our defense like we were an expansion team.
                      Who is the de facto decision-maker of our D?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

I had no issue with going for it. I did have a major issue with the 3 play calls after having it 2nd and 2.

Going for it was essentially going for the win. If they get a TD there, and go up 17, the game is basically over.

The play call absolutely sucked.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

I didn't like the call at the time, but statistically, it's a coin flip. The problem is that Josh just cannot throw an INT in that situation.

3. The fourth-and-2 decision was essentially a coinflip
                          Up 27-17 in the fourth quarter, the Bills drove to the Vikings’ 7-yard-line with a chance to go up by three possessions. They squandered two straight passes with only two yards to go for another first down, forcing the fourth-down decision that has drawn the ire of many. Rather than take the points from a field goal and a 13-point lead, the Bills trusted their offense to get them the two yards, to at least give them four more chances to score a touchdown. As we now know, the Bills blew that chance. Allen threw an interception, and the Vikings returned it to their 34-yard line, setting up a touchdown drive and a 27-23 game down the stretch.

Despite the result, the 4th-and-2 in that situation, at the time of the game, was actually a toss-up according to the Ben Baldwin win probability model. Their win probability with a failed attempt only decreased from the 97 percent a made field goal would have provided, to 94 percent. Had the Bills scored a touchdown on that drive, their chances of winning would have become a near certainty. With the math on their side telling them that it’s basically a dealer’s choice situation, the Bills set out to effectively end the game on that drive. Although it’s an unpopular belief, and the execution on that fourth-down play was lacking, I like the Bills’ decision, in theory, to try and put the game out of reach at that moment.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
                            The probability of success on a short field goal is much greater than a 5 yard gain. There is a time to take the 3 points instead of risking a momentum changing stop. And, that is just what happened.
                            It wasn't 5 yards they needed. It was 2.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              I didn't like the call at the time, but statistically, it's a coin flip. The problem is that Josh just cannot throw an INT in that situation.

https://theathletic.com/3879207/2022...ampaign=601983
                              An int or a turnover on downs. Take your pick. What was the big difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X