PDA

View Full Version : Cam Lewis: If I knock the ball down to keep Justin Jefferson from catching it, we win

Woodman
11-14-2022, 10:49 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/14/cam-lewis-if-i-knock-the-ball-down-to-keep-justin-jefferson-from-catching-it-we-win/

The Fat Lady was warming her vocal cords as the Vikings faced a fourth-and-18 at the Minnesota 27 with two minutes left. But the Fat Lady forgot Justin Jefferson (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/58432/justin-jefferson) plays for the Vikings.

Jefferson caught the 32-yard prayer (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/14/justin-jefferson-on-catch-of-a-lifetime-kirk-cousins-said-i-might-just-throw-this-up-to-you/) from Kirk Cousins (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/9730/kirk-cousins), making a one-hand catch while leaning back like Odell Beckham in 2014, while stealing the ball from Bills defensive back Cam Lewis (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/52354/cam-lewis).

Lewis, making his first career start at safety, had better position on the pass than Jefferson did and needed only to knock the ball down. Instead, Lewis, like Brandon Carr vs. Beckham, will be on the notorious end of one of the greatest plays in the regular season in NFL history.

“I honestly thought it was over his head, but [I’ve] just got to be more aware (https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/11/after-justin-jeffersons-one-handed-game-saving-grab-bills-db-has-one-regret.html) of the situation,” Lewis said, via Matt Parrino of newyorkupstate.com. “F—ing fourth-and-[18]. Knock the ball down, bro.

“I’m not a selfish player. I don’t try to be a selfish player. I’m always trying to put the team before me. Just got to knock the f—ing ball down. That’s plain and simple. I’ve got to know the situation. I knock the ball down, we f—ing win.”

YardRat
11-14-2022, 10:50 AM
I'm tired off "if's". Make the damn play, and tht goes for a lot more players than just Lewis.

Woodman
11-14-2022, 10:52 AM
I’ve got to know the situation. I knock the ball down, we f—ing win.”

~ Cam Lewis

sahlensguy
11-14-2022, 11:01 AM
Bang that drum Magoo...but that knockdown wasn't as easy as you think. A PI was very possible.

sukie
11-14-2022, 11:03 AM
Game is done… prepare hard for the next 2 games in a week and a half

kgun12
11-14-2022, 11:09 AM
Frazier left him on an island, but the even bigger issue is his defense gives up WAY TOO MANY long third and forth downs.

Mace
11-14-2022, 11:11 AM
Right, but you should have been coached to do it on an essentially glorified Tampa-2 defense that's all about pass coverage unless coaching lost their way and became ineffective about stuff like that and how to tackle people without slapping at their shoulders as they run past you.

Woodman
11-14-2022, 11:11 AM
Frazier left him on an island, but the even bigger issue is his defense gives up WAY TOO MANY long third and forth downs.

Absolutely!

DraftBoy
11-14-2022, 11:13 AM
Kudos for accountability, but words are just that. Games over, on to next week.

Mace
11-14-2022, 11:19 AM
Kudos for accountability, but words are just that. Games over, on to next week.

My next week's never work out well. I'll be dragged into it grudgingly.

Woodman
11-14-2022, 11:21 AM
My next week's never work out well. I'll be dragged into it grudgingly.

Admit it you're already looking forward to it. :cheers:

My rearview mirror is broken until further notice.

jamze132
11-14-2022, 11:04 PM
Much respect for taking responsibility. Time for everyone to take responsibility and get better.

Forward_Lateral
11-14-2022, 11:28 PM
Who do you blame though? Shouldn't someone in the huddle have been emphasizing, it's 4th down, just knock the ball down? Coaches? They can't really relay that message to the field unless there's a time out, which I don't believe there was. They could also, I don't know, go over this situation in practice until it's drilled into these players' heads. You'd think after the hail mary game last year, that it would be.

I'm sick and tired of watching this team lose because of dumb mental mistakes.

OpIv37
11-15-2022, 01:23 AM
Jefferson abused us. Granted, it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but there were so many times where they had good coverage and he was able to make the catch anyway. At one point, I joked to my dad that we should stop trying to cover Jefferson and just blitz every play because he was making the catches even when he was covered.

Poyer is going to get a huge payday because it's staggering how much better this D is when he plays, even with Hyde hurt.

Forward_Lateral
11-15-2022, 01:36 AM

He wasn't on an island. They had Jefferson double, if not triple teamed.

Forward_Lateral
11-15-2022, 01:44 AM
Jefferson abused us. Granted, it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but there were so many times where they had good coverage and he was able to make the catch anyway. At one point, I joked to my dad that we should stop trying to cover Jefferson and just blitz every play because he was making the catches even when he was covered.

Poyer is going to get a huge payday because it's staggering how much better this D is when he plays, even with Hyde hurt.

Safety is a major, major concern. Hamlin is more of a run stopping guy who plays in the box, and it appears that he might be the future at one of the safety spots, but the other one has to be the main point of emphasis, or at least one of them, this off season.

Woodman
11-17-2022, 02:12 PM
Who do you blame though? Shouldn't someone in the huddle have been emphasizing, it's 4th down, just knock the ball down? Coaches? They can't really relay that message to the field unless there's a time out, which I don't believe there was. They could also, I don't know, go over this situation in practice until it's drilled into these players' heads. You'd think after the hail mary game last year, that it would be.

I'm sick and tired of watching this team lose because of dumb mental mistakes.

You would think so.

Gotta stop these dumb mistakes.