PDA

View Full Version : Isiah McKenzie on Allen: we haven't seen him play like that in years

ghz in pittsburgh
11-15-2022, 08:13 AM
Dunne asked the question all of us wanted to ask around 22 minute mark: what happened to Josh? I gave McKenzie credit, he answered like what I consider other Bills players seeing Josh right now: struggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWbfY2EuGY

Here is my 2 cents.

Everyone goes through struggles in a season. Mahomes had his last couple of years too. If you don't, then you will be MVP.
The brings to the next point. Purely guessing, I think Josh might think he had it figured out this past off season. First time he didn't work with Palmer on mechanics. Instead he worked on mental aspect, like where his eye should be (his own words). All the MVP and Superbowl talk. It HAD to get into his head somewhat, especially with early season success.
Defenses are adapting too. The Josh Allen book is out there. Other than his scrambling ability which is close to indefensible, I see people are more aware of his strength and try to defend his favorite passing patterns, especially within our division.
Let's see the counter move from Josh Allen and the coaching staff. Allen said himself, "figure out or being figured out."
I'm 100% buy-into McDermott's "multiple" comment on offense. All the veteran coaches are saying the same thing: the Bills are too Allen centric. You gotta make some layups by other guys instead of drilling for 3s all the time by one guy. I believe the Hines acquisition is part of it. But it will take time.
There might be some rift as AP's Wawrow hinted within Bills coaching staff. I have to guess the universally claimed "aggressive" Dorsey wanting to play into Allen's strength vs "running the ball" McDermott. I have to think some kind of middle ground WILL be achieved. Some equivalent plays of running the ball might need to have bigger portion of the offense other than RPO.
The Bills are a quality organization run by quality people. Allen, fifth year in the league, is too smart not to find a way to limit his mistakes. We don't have a Andy Reed who can find ways to minimize Mahomes mistakes even within a game. But I do expect gradual improvement to take hold.

Woodman
11-15-2022, 08:33 AM
Our coordinator must work into our offense more participation ..... no keys.

Hines can be a big part of that IMO.

Spread the ball around ..... don't always open up with the Diggs pass.

That will confuse them right from the start and then just keep that going.

Keep em off balance ..... keep em guessing.

Forward_Lateral
11-15-2022, 08:33 AM
I believe it's 100% an issue between Allen and Dorsey.

Whether it's the entire team hasn't grasped and isn't completely comfortable with the offensive plays/concepts (hard to imagine after 9 games but it's possible), or whether it's Allen and the WRs not being on the same page, or whatever else.

It's definitely not a mechanics issue.

It's Allen not being patient, and forcing stuff. The first 6 and a half games, he was patient and took what defenses gave him. When there was deep chances, they were good chances, and he capitalized on them. Lately he's been forcing things when he doesn't need to. I don't know why. It's hard to understand what's going on, because defenses are not doing anything different than they have been all year.

Woodman
11-15-2022, 08:36 AM
McDermott should expect the ball to be spread around and make a point to all those involved in any attack plan going forward ... no more opening the same damn way .... confuse em from the start and just keep that going.

It Works!!

sahlensguy
11-15-2022, 08:47 AM
IM: "I feel like he is going through what I went through..."

Lol, give me a fn break.

No disrespect, because I'm not in the same league as Isaiah, but what Isaiah thinks that he came through isn't even in the same league as where Josh has been. It's not relatable.

kgun12
11-15-2022, 09:00 AM
Let’s remember he had a perfect drive to get them to overtime. As someone showed Singletary was wide open when he threw the interception. It seems like he locks on a receiver sometimes and tries to force it I guess some have called it hero ball. They need to get him to take what given, and get him to realize the results are better.

Woodman
11-15-2022, 09:16 AM
I really wonder if he saw Singletary ..... because if he did he might have noticed the wide open green in front of him .... being in too much of a hurry probably cost us this game.

kgun12
11-15-2022, 10:18 AM
I don’t think he did. Unlike the popular opinion that Josh is reading all the headlines and is becoming complacent. I think it is putting more pressure on himself and he’s making bad decisions

I don’t know how to say it, but I’ve seen when people are told how good they are it doesn’t always make them perform better. Sometimes they relax and do great, sometimes they feel pressured and do worse.

YardRat
11-15-2022, 01:34 PM
McKenzie needs to look in the mirror, he's been a major disappointment this season (wasn't returning KO's this week either) and he's still living off of one game against NE last year.

DraftBoy
11-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Allen just has to be better. Nothing else will matter until that happens.

don137
11-16-2022, 01:03 AM
McKenzie needs to look in the mirror, he's been a major disappointment this season (wasn't returning KO's this week either) and he's still living off of one game against NE last year.

A little ironic McKenzie said that. Joe Marino was on WGR and explained how Mckenzie screwing up on third and fourth down had significant impacts on each play when Josh was intercepted on 4th down by Patrick Peterson in end zone. Sometimes you see their is a lot more to the play than Josh throwing an incomplete pass or an interception and blaming him soley. I think Bills really could use Crowder to play slot.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-17-2022, 05:36 AM
I remember working out one afternoon this week and they had ESPN NFL Live on. The subject was Josh Allen and someone said he needs to be less Michael Jordan, more Magic Johnson. I thought it was a pretty good statement. Finishing vs Enabling others to finish. From Allen's Wed presser, he must have gotten the same message.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Josh Allen: “It’s that constant, I can make a play or I can trust somebody else to make a play that I’ve battled with my entire football career, and trying to do too much sometimes. It’ll hurt you.” <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a></p>&mdash; Mike Giardi (@MikeGiardi) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1593293107822485515?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ghz in pittsburgh
11-17-2022, 05:41 AM
I guess I'm showing my age. There might be a lot of people here never see the MJs playing or who they are (other than being proclaimed legend), just like Joe Montana was to me.

sahlensguy
11-17-2022, 05:45 AM
I remember working out one afternoon this week and they had ESPN NFL Live on. The subject was Josh Allen and someone said he needs to be less Michael Jordan, more Magic Johnson. I thought it was a pretty good statement. Finishing vs Enabling others to finish. From Allen's Wed presser, he must have gotten the same message.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Josh Allen: “It’s that constant, I can make a play or I can trust somebody else to make a play that I’ve battled with my entire football career, and trying to do too much sometimes. It’ll hurt you.” <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a></p>&mdash; Mike Giardi (@MikeGiardi) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1593293107822485515?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have you seen the Cover1 video from today? Pretty damning against scouting and game planning. No offensive identity. Too much pressure on Allen.

The weight of this team under McD has always been on Josh's shoulders, and the talent and now a quality OC just isn't there.