PDA

View Full Version : Ford Field Part 1 Browns game thoughts

sukie
11-20-2022, 09:24 AM
Dorsey doesn’t know his QB.

it was obvious to everyone that Josh was broken, tippy , wild and down right lost. Everyone except Dorsey.
No short game to build his confidence, to get Diggs going. It was fortunate we weren’t getting killed.

Josh looked scared and unsure. Eyes don’t lie. So on 3rd and 3 he calls an endzone shot 25 yards downfield.

Cook had a really strong game

the guy is quick and when stopped he gets low and springs forward for an extra couple yards. Singletary’s replacement. (Financial reasons) Both backs 86 yards… Cook ave 7.2

The D stuffed Chubb and Hunt

Chubb 14 for 19 Hunt not much better.

Third and long…

this is where we miss Tre and Hyde.

Penalties

Bass is money… still.

Gabe is only OK at the moment

which is better than a total liability.

Can Crowder heal already?

not that Dorsey will utilize a slot.

McKenzie… last season
Hines… great return game

Woodman
11-20-2022, 09:59 AM
Sticking with the running inside the tackles is why we won.

:gobills:

Historian
11-20-2022, 10:07 AM
Special teams won this game....literally.

I hope they're not all patting themselves on the ass after this one, as it was still Cleveland, quarterbacked by the quintessential journeyman.

Milano had 12 tackles. when healthy he is one of the best in the game.

Do whatever you have to do to defeat the ****ty Lions, then take ten days to heal up.

paladin warrior
I wish Buffalo Bill's playing at Buffalo Bill's.
Stadium on Thanksgiving day. Bill's already did played at Lion stadium today

sukie
Sticking with the running inside the tackles is why we won.

:gobills:

Plenty of nice cook runs outside the tackles as well.

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-20-2022, 10:08 AM

I hope they're not all patting themselves on the ass after this one, as it was still Cleveland, quarterbacked by the quintessential journeyman.

Do whatever you have to do to defeat the ****ty Lions, then take ten days to heal up.
Would be nice

except they play Thursday night after thanksgiving

sukie
11-20-2022, 10:09 AM
I wish Buffalo Bill's playing at Buffalo Bill's.
Stadium on Thanksgiving day. Bill's already did played at Lion stadium today

It’s tradition Detroit plays at home on Thanksgiving. Same with Dallas.

Woodman
11-20-2022, 10:09 AM
Plenty of nice cook runs outside the tackles as well.

All stared inside the tackles ...... any runs straight to the corner didn't work so well.

Historian
11-20-2022, 10:17 AM
https://external-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/emg1/v/t13/5557224309069160891?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftownsquare.media%2Fsite%2F16%2Ffiles%2F2022%2F11%2Fattachment-gettyimages-1443076723.jpg%3Fw%3D1200%26h%3D0%26zc%3D1%26s%3D0%26a%3Dt%26q%3D89&fb_obo=1&utld=townsquare.media&stp=c0.5000x0.5000f_dst-jpg_flffffff_p500x261_q75&ccb=13-1&oh=06_AbGz-0CGWWSHODCXOqjp8jCsha1P6SY4RlCxuTBQmLx1gA&oe=637C1EA7&_nc_sid=a349d5

sukie
11-20-2022, 10:20 AM
All stared inside the tackles ...... any runs straight to the corner didn't work so well.
Every run that is a handoff starts inside the tackles. cook bounced a couple outside. Not sweeps. Running at fat guys butts doesn’t work. Patience is in order. Cook has that. He will bounce if out then cut back in.

Mace
11-20-2022, 10:30 AM

Brissett had his 1st 300 yard passing game of the season, just like Cousins last week.

I kind of like Brissett as a backup here though. Similar style of play, competent.

Novacane
11-20-2022, 11:08 AM
Would be nice

except they play Thursday night after thanksgiving

Do whatever you have to do to beat the Patriots after you beat the ****ty Lions. Then take 10 days to heal up!

ghz in pittsburgh
11-20-2022, 11:12 AM
Josh is still not where he was early in the season. I do like the fact he's making check down decisions quicker. - "throw to open guys".

I feel the last few weeks the Bills secondary get exposed more and more. Right now if a team has a true #1 receiver, the Bills secondary has no one to match that guy, man or zone. Hopefully they get Tre back later who can play at high level (not a given with how long he's been out), and Elam as well who may given frazier more options at man coverage.

Forward_Lateral
11-20-2022, 11:18 PM

They don't get 10 days.

They have to play the following Thursday.

swiper
11-20-2022, 11:48 PM
I agree with the Dorsey criticism, but he is only ten games into his first gig as OC. It shouldn't be a stretch to have predicted some bumps as he gets used to this job. It is far different than QB coach.

Cook is what Singletary was supposed to be.

Next off-season the Bills will part with Singletary, Edmunds, McKenzie and Quessenberry. Moss already offed.

DraftBoy
11-21-2022, 12:09 AM
Dorsey doesn’t know his QB.

it was obvious to everyone that Josh was broken, tippy , wild and down right lost. Everyone except Dorsey.
No short game to build his confidence, to get Diggs going. It was fortunate we weren’t getting killed.

Josh looked scared and unsure. Eyes don’t lie. So on 3rd and 3 he calls an endzone shot 25 yards downfield.

It's almost impossible for us to know what Dorsey is calling without the All-22 film and the view of where Josh's eyes are as the primary read. Dorsey put a lot more balance into the gameplan this week with 55% of the plays being runs compared to 39% against Minny and 33% against the Jets. Those percentages are probably even lower if you account for run called plays as a majority of Allen's rushing this season has not been as a called play.

I do think Dorsey's passing concept is uber aggressive, which I thought was a good fit for this team, but is he calling only deeper throws or is he calling multi-level passing concept and Josh is locking on to to the deeper routes? I don't know, but I do know the last few INT's where Josh has forced the ball deep he has had an underneath guy or check-down open that he never looked at.

In your 3rd and 3 example, is every route running to the endzone or did Josh read it and make that call right or wrong?

Also there is a scheme element to this as well, if you're going to run the ball like we did v. Cleveland then you have to pass the ball further down the field. The defense is naturally going to creep up and you should be taking intermediate and deep shots to burn them for that. Even if you miss them then you at least keep it in their minds.

I think there are issues with Dorsey and Allen, but I'm honestly not sure which one of them is at fault or if it's entirely on either of them.

ParanoidAndroid
11-21-2022, 12:34 AM
It's almost impossible for us to know what Dorsey is calling without the All-22 film and the view of where Josh's eyes are as the primary read. Dorsey put a lot more balance into the gameplan this week with 55% of the plays being runs compared to 39% against Minny and 33% against the Jets. Those percentages are probably even lower if you account for run called plays as a majority of Allen's rushing this season has not been as a called play.

I do think Dorsey's passing concept is uber aggressive, which I thought was a good fit for this team, but is he calling only deeper throws or is he calling multi-level passing concept and Josh is locking on to to the deeper routes? I don't know, but I do know the last few INT's where Josh has forced the ball deep he has had an underneath guy or check-down open that he never looked at.

In your 3rd and 3 example, is every route running to the endzone or did Josh read it and make that call right or wrong?

Also there is a scheme element to this as well, if you're going to run the ball like we did v. Cleveland then you have to pass the ball further down the field. The defense is naturally going to creep up and you should be taking intermediate and deep shots to burn them for that. Even if you miss them then you at least keep it in their minds.

I think there are issues with Dorsey and Allen, but I'm honestly not sure which one of them is at fault or if it's entirely on either of them.
On the 3rd Q TD drive when we ran it down their throats, the intermediate middle opened up.
The delayed hand off was working to great effect because Buffalo hasn't been doing that and they were dropping guys into coverage. A couple of big gashes made their LBs and safeties think twice.
It was a nicely balanced drive that didn't put everything on Josh's shoulders.
He didn't press, he didn't turn the ball over, we kicked field goals and played about 3Q of good defense outside of losing all those contested catches and after the 1st Q offensive struggles, it was not as close as the score.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-21-2022, 12:56 AM
Some hints in Josh's post game comments --- "Dorsey called a game .... he sticks to the game plan."

To me that leaves a lot to imagination.

If you are coming out of the locker room swinging and landing punches, like the Bills were doing before, scoring TD first drive almost every game, and kept on scoring, your game plan definitely worked - thus no need to change.

When you are not doing so, like 3 and out starting the game last few games, what do you do? Throw the game plan away and starting to chase big plays?

This game certainly didn't start very well on offense. Not a single first down until the 2nd last drive before half time. Josh was visibly frustrated; I can imagine Dorsey, too. From what Josh said, it sounded like cooled heads prevailed and they didn't let it broiling over.

I also liked the fact that when Josh sailed that pass wide and over Hines head in the 2nd quarter and sat down to the bench with his cheeks puffed and red, Keenan came over right away with a notebook to sat next to him. The last thing you want is to have Josh stew inside by himself at that time. I wonder where Joe Brady is. Almost never seen him on the sideline.

sukie
11-21-2022, 01:41 AM
Above..

was a game plan in place? The week was pretty void of game planning time other than virtually.

Discotrish
11-21-2022, 01:56 AM
Love Baby Cook!

sahlensguy
11-21-2022, 01:57 AM
I agree with the Dorsey criticism, but he is only ten games into his first gig as OC. It shouldn't be a stretch to have predicted some bumps as he gets used to this job. It is far different than QB coach.

Cook is what Singletary was supposed to be.

Next off-season the Bills will part with Singletary, Edmunds, McKenzie and Quessenberry. Moss already offed.

Dorsey deserves criticism but those who thought paring a rookie OC with a hands off defensive minded head coach on a team with an open Super Bowl window was a fool. We had no time to wait and grow with Dorsey.