PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Davis

ghz in pittsburgh
12-04-2022, 03:43 AM
With all the OBJ talk, I think it's probably aimed at the (lack of ) production of Davis.

The one ugly stats is his catching percentage: 2020 - 62 targets, 35 catches, 7TD; 2021 - 63 targets, 35 catches, 6 TD; 2022 so far - 59 targets, 33 catches, 5 TD. It is safe to say he's an around mid-50% catching percentage guy. In comparison, Stefon Diggs is a ~ 70% catching percentage guy.

The last game, Davis is like 7 targets, 2 catches.

As a number 2 guy, I think, overall, he's OK, except you want to see the catching percetage to go higher. Diggs has twice as many targets as a number 1 guy. I think when you play consistently as the #2 guy, defenses study you more. His routing tree and lack of separation is explored. Still his size, versatility, especially support in the running game is not easily replaced. OBJ will be more of Diggs mode, if he's healthy enough to do what Diggs doing.

Woodman
12-04-2022, 03:46 AM
He really excels against a particular team. :D

He's better than he's been playing.

kgun12
12-04-2022, 04:37 AM
I don’t know if it’s aimed at anyone, Von has been hyping OBJ to the Bills almost from the beginning of the season. If a team isn’t looking to improve themselves, they’re going the wrong direction. He was enroute to winning the SB MVP.
If you watch the pre game show, they said that all 3 teams are looking to him contributing in the playoffs, not the rest of the season. Like I said before, if the Bills don’t think he can do that they won’t sign him.

Woodman
12-04-2022, 04:39 AM
I don’t know if it’s aimed at anyone, Von has been hyping OBJ to the Bills almost from the beginning of the season. If a team isn’t looking to improve themselves, they’re going the wrong direction. He was enroute to winning the SB MVP.
If you watch the pre game show, they said that all 3 teams are looking to him contributing in the playoffs, not the rest of the season. Like I said before, if the Bills don’t think he can do that they won’t sign him.
Agreed 100% if we go for him they are thinking playoffs.

If he's not gonna be 100% we'll stay away.

YardRat
12-04-2022, 04:51 AM
I'm kind of surprised how consistent his catch percentage is, it seems like he's dropping more balls this season, by a lot.

Woodman
12-04-2022, 04:56 AM
I'm kind of surprised how consistent his catch percentage is, it seems like he's dropping more balls this season, by a lot.

Jugs gun now!!!!

imbondz
12-04-2022, 04:59 AM
Disappointed in Davis and Knox this season. Knox I can understand. Davis seemed like he was going to be a superstar but he seems to be dropping too many and not involved as much. Last year felt like we had so many solid weapons on offense this season seems way different.

kgun12
12-04-2022, 05:23 AM
Disappointed in Davis and Knox this season. Knox I can understand. Davis seemed like he was going to be a superstar but he seems to be dropping too many and not involved as much. Last year felt like we had so many solid weapons on offense this season seems way different.

I agree, he just seems unmotivated and has an oh well, I dropped it kinda attitude. I’m not sure if that’s reality but that’s what his body language is saying.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-04-2022, 07:55 AM
Contested catches are a big issue for him. If a defender has anything on him, usually he does not make it. Diggs, for example, is one of those elite that as long as he gets a hand on the ball, he reels the ball in. Even Knox is better at contested catching than Davis. Knox of course has been doing a lot of blocking this year. I feel like if the Bills are play teams not great at D line, he may have a bigger role in terms of catching passes.

TacklingDummy
12-04-2022, 08:34 AM

Superstars catch this.

Cali512
12-04-2022, 09:03 AM
This is one thing that was apparent in college. For his size, hes an amazing deep ball threat, but he never ran a lot of routes and didnt even have to run routes on like 25% of their passes because SFU runs a weird, half field offense.

Theyre 2 routes he runs well. Streaks, and deep posts. Inside the 10-15, hes useless

This is where i think Brown and ObJ can help us. Diggs-Brown-OBJ-Davis-Mckenzie or have Brown at 4, but Davis isnt cutting it as the number 2 right now and Brown fit this offense nicely and i cant see him falling off a cliff completely

The versatility of using Brown-Davis outside and Diggs-OBj inside or Diggs-Brown outside with Davis-OBJ inside would be huge. Even if Brown isnt in the equation, having OBJ on the field would limit davis targets and allow him to be a deep threat and jump ball receiver

ghz in pittsburgh
12-04-2022, 11:38 AM
But he's now 3rd year in NFL. You'd think Davis has learned all the route tree by now right?

Deep posts streak usually means he's one-on-one with someone. QB can throw the ball to the right shoulder so less chance of DB interefering him catching the ball. In the middle, the kind of catch Sanders used to run last year? Josh has to put in perfect spot for him.

Having said that, I do think he is better against zone and has an extension of that: uncanny knack of finding soft spot in the scrambling drill.

Mace
12-04-2022, 11:41 AM

I think all the offensive issues have been amplified because Allen went through a spell. You get to a point where everything stands out because nothing seems to be working all that hot.

Cali512
12-04-2022, 12:23 PM
I think all the offensive issues have been amplified because Allen went through a spell. You get to a point where everything stands out because nothing seems to be working all that hot.

I dont think people are really talking about that. I think its more of the fact that he has dropped a lot of passes recently, only seems to be able to run deep, and seems to only get catches when in a scramble drill

Its been an ongoing issue where he doesnt seem to be a legit threat unless its one of those 2

I have the same issue with mckenzie, they dont seem to get immediate separation like Brown/Beasely did

ParanoidAndroid
12-04-2022, 12:25 PM
Davis doesn't use his size well enough. He should be man handling DBs but he just doesn't.