PDA

View Full Version : Here’s Hoping Josh Allen Does NOT Win MVP for 2022

notacon
12-07-2022, 07:05 AM
Yes, certainly winning MVP is a huge personal honor.

But, the likelihood of winning a Super Bowl the same year as winning the MVP is surprisingly bad.

I was thinking about Aaron Rodgers winning the MVP two years in a row, despite the fact that the Packers did not even get to the SB during those years, with last year a one-and-out debacle.

So....I did a little research. The results are pretty eye opening....

List of MVP’s that played in Super Bowl....

2017 – Tom Brady – Lost SB
2016 – Matt Ryan – Lost SB
2015 – Cam Newton – Lost SB
2013 – Peyton Manning – Lost SB
2009 – Peyton Manning – Lost SB
2007 – Tom Brady – Lost SB
2005 – Shaun Alexander – Lost SB
2002 – Rich Gannon – Lost SB
2001 – Kurt Warner – Lost SB

1999 – Kurt Warner – WON SB
1998 – Terrell Davis – WON SB
1997 – Brett Farve (co-MVP w/ Barry Sanders) – Lost SB
1996 – Brett Farve – WON SB
1994 – Steve Young – WON SB
1993 – Emmitt Smith – WON SB
1991 – Thurmon Thomas – Lost SB
1989 – Joe Montana – WON SB
1988 – Boomer Esiason – Lost SB
1987 – John Elway – Lost SB
1986 – Lawrence Taylor – WON SB
1984 – Dan Marino – Lost SB
1983 – Joe Theismann – Lost SB
1982 – Mark Moseley – WON SB
1981 – Ken Anderson – Lost SB
1978 – Terry Bradshaw – WON SB
1972 – Larry Brown – Lost SB
1968 – Earl Morrall – Lost SB
1966 – Bart Starr – WON SB

28 times MVP played in SB
10 times MVP WON SB
18 times MVP Lost SB

55 SB’s – 18% won MVP and SB
55 SB’s – 33% win MVP and Lost SB
55 SB’s – 51% (28) of MVP's played in game
55 SB’s – 49% (27) of MVP's did NOT even get to SB.

The last time a player won the MVP and WON the SB was 23 years ago.....literally LAST CENTURY.

I’d rather (and I suspect every Bills player including Josh Allen) would rather have the Lombardi Trophy over the MVP.

sukie
12-07-2022, 07:10 AM
Cute stat but meaningless.

notacon
12-07-2022, 07:16 AM

Actually, it’s far, far from “meaningless”.

TacklingDummy
12-07-2022, 07:31 AM
He's not winning it unless he plays out of this world for the rest of the season.

Gabe Davis dropping that 70 yard bomb vs the Jets, the PI on Knox that wasn't called in endzone, choke against Minnesota, the Fumble, Heat, and bounce to McKenzie vs Miami will be why.

Woodman
12-07-2022, 07:33 AM
No worries on the MVP front.

Woodman
12-07-2022, 07:35 AM
Super Bowl MVP ..... now that's worth a bunch.

Bill Cody
12-07-2022, 07:40 AM
I don't do superstitions. You could do the same kind of thing with being on the Madden cover. Doesn't mean they're actually connected. I hope he does win because it would mean he ups his game a LOT from where it's been the past month. Barring that he isn't winning anyway so it's moot.

Win or lose the MVP we should all be rooting for Josh to play at an MVP level. If he doesn't, no Lombardi.

Cali512
12-07-2022, 07:58 AM
This doesnt mean **** lol. The only correlation that this could possibly have is if the reason this is happening is because their teams are dependent on their "mvp", that the actual team gets exposed during the playoffs

And i know your not trying to have that discussion

sukie
12-07-2022, 08:03 AM
Actually, it’s far, far from “meaningless”.

How can what earl morrall did in the 70s have ANY bearing on what Josh Allen will accomplish? I’ll wait.

Forward_Lateral
12-07-2022, 08:18 AM
He won't. They've already handed it to Hurts

Cali512
12-07-2022, 09:14 AM
How can what earl morrall did in the 70s have ANY bearing on what Josh Allen will accomplish? I’ll wait.

Its like when a team goes 7-2 vs an oppenent "at home" and half of those games were from the 80s

Or when cincinatti looks amazing and people say "just the bengals" because of the last 30 yrs when the only constant is the owner

Only one team wins the superbowl and one player makes the mvp. The odds that they are the same "player" is highly unlikely based on statistics, and the only coorelation is the fact that possibly the mvp is the mvp because their team is so dependent on that player that when in the playoffs, the league goes all out to stop them and the rest of the team is exposed

Weve already seen allen struggle vs the ravens and still find a way to win. Allen has struggled this season and the defense has helped out. Allen is the soul reason this offense is great (diggs too), but i can see this being the only reason for that stat to mean anything

Kenny
12-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Meaningless. I suppose you could also say that if those QBs werent playing at an MVP level, they never would have made the superbowl at all.

MVP isnt like the probowl, where fans decide who's most popular. MVPs are generally deserving of that title. And if we're going to make the superbowl, let alone have any chance of winning it, Allen better get back to playing like an MVP - and if he wins it, then he deserves it.

YardRat
12-07-2022, 09:42 AM
I used to feel the same way, but Allen's been breaking the molds since he got drafted so **** it, let him win league MVP and Super Bowl MVP the same year...this year.

Bill Cody
12-08-2022, 02:52 AM
He won't. They've already handed it to Hurts

who's they?

Bill Cody
12-08-2022, 02:54 AM

Well Josh found out the odds of a QB winning a SB with a buzz cut were super low based on history so he decided to let his hair grow. Better safe than sorry.

Night Train
12-08-2022, 04:04 AM
Individual awards mean nothing to me in team sports.

notacon
12-08-2022, 04:56 AM
Individual awards mean nothing to me in team sports.

Bingo.

THAT is the main reason why the obvious disconnect between MVP and Super Bowl wins (in particular the past 23 years) really, really matters and is far, far from “meaningless” and has nothing to do with “superstitions”.

There is a reason why the facts show no MVP winner since 1999 has also won a SB title the same year.

The fact is that the NFL has protected the QB and encouraged outsized offenses led by dynamic passing game. Both on how they protect the QB and how they protect WR’s with, sometimes, absurd DPI calls.

The fact is that football is a TEAM GAME, and requires all parts of that TEAM to perform at a very high level to actually win a title.

Additionally, and not to be ignored is that the MVP is decided BEFORE the payoffs....in fact, the voting for MVP is done in the week between the last regular season game and the first playoff game.

It is a REGULAR season award, for individual worth of one player in relation to the team’s regular season success. It’s not “Best Player”, it’s “Most VALUABLE Player”.

The widespread knock on the Bills is that they depend of Josh Allen too much, and if he has an “off” game, they chases of losing is greater. It is a reasonable and credible observations because the three loses the Bills have suffered this season are all because of a handful of sub-par plays by JA.

That expectation sometimes has Josh falling into the “hero ball” mindset that is sometimes more a burden than advantage.

I would rather Josh, albeit he is still and appropriately the heart and soul of the team, and can single handedly win games every week, in order to win a Super Bowl title, the TEAM, as a cohesive group, with all the parts....offense, defense, special teams and coaching, meshing and complimenting each other, especially in the playoffs.

And that is why I’m “hoping Josh Allen does NOT win MVP for 2022”.

Jeff1220
12-08-2022, 05:54 AM
I'd make a case for Justin Jefferson as MVP

Bill Cody
12-08-2022, 06:47 AM
Bingo.

THAT is the main reason why the obvious disconnect between MVP and Super Bowl wins (in particular the past 23 years) really, really matters and is far, far from “meaningless” and has nothing to do with “superstitions”.

There is a reason why the facts show no MVP winner since 1999 has also won a SB title the same year.

The fact is that the NFL has protected the QB and encouraged outsized offenses led by dynamic passing game. Both on how they protect the QB and how they protect WR’s with, sometimes, absurd DPI calls.

The fact is that football is a TEAM GAME, and requires all parts of that TEAM to perform at a very high level to actually win a title.

Additionally, and not to be ignored is that the MVP is decided BEFORE the payoffs....in fact, the voting for MVP is done in the week between the last regular season game and the first playoff game.

It is a REGULAR season award, for individual worth of one player in relation to the team’s regular season success. It’s not “Best Player”, it’s “Most VALUABLE Player”.

The widespread knock on the Bills is that they depend of Josh Allen too much, and if he has an “off” game, they chases of losing is greater. It is a reasonable and credible observations because the three loses the Bills have suffered this season are all because of a handful of sub-par plays by JA.

That expectation sometimes has Josh falling into the “hero ball” mindset that is sometimes more a burden than advantage.

I would rather Josh, albeit he is still and appropriately the heart and soul of the team, and can single handedly win games every week, in order to win a Super Bowl title, the TEAM, as a cohesive group, with all the parts....offense, defense, special teams and coaching, meshing and complimenting each other, especially in the playoffs.

And that is why I’m “hoping Josh Allen does NOT win MVP for 2022”.

So MVP's are selfish? I'm honestly not understanding why it's bad to have an MVP QB. Does winning the MVP make the QB less motivated to win the SB? Not getting it. Connection does not equal causation.

notacon
12-08-2022, 07:04 AM
So MVP's are selfish? I'm honestly not understanding why it's bad to have an MVP QB. Does winning the MVP make the QB less motivated to win the SB? Not getting it. Connection does not equal causation.

Huh?!?!?

I have no idea how you got "MVP's are selfish” from what I wrote.

I explained my self quite clearly. It’s easy to understand.

Bill Cody
12-08-2022, 07:48 AM
Huh?!?!?

I have no idea how you got "MVP's are selfish” from what I wrote.

I explained my self quite clearly. It’s easy to understand.

Not to me. The MVP is irrelevant to Josh. I say that with great confidence. He's going to play the same way no matter what which is to win by whatever means necessary every week. If he has an extra piece of hardware at the end of the regular season the odds of the Bills winning the SB won't change. You have not explained why they would.

notacon
12-09-2022, 04:51 AM
Not to me. The MVP is irrelevant to Josh. I say that with great confidence. He's going to play the same way no matter what which is to win by whatever means necessary every week. If he has an extra piece of hardware at the end of the regular season the odds of the Bills winning the SB won't change. You have not explained why they would.

Again...huh??? I most certainly DID “explain” my opinion. Just read what I wrote again....this time with an open mind.

It’s simple.

The obvious disconnect between winning the MVP and not winning the SB is just a reflection of the difference between what it takes to win a MVP as compared to what it takes to win a SB title.

It’s about the difference between individual performance and TEAM performance. Additionally, the MVP is an award based on individual regular season performance and SB titles are all about team playoff performance.

With Josh Allen and the Bills, it’s specially about avoiding being one dimensional.....or even worse, micro dimensional.

Bill Cody
12-09-2022, 08:14 AM
Again...huh??? I most certainly DID “explain” my opinion. Just read what I wrote again....this time with an open mind.

It’s simple.

The obvious disconnect between winning the MVP and not winning the SB is just a reflection of the difference between what it takes to win a MVP as compared to what it takes to win a SB title.

It’s about the difference between individual performance and TEAM performance. Additionally, the MVP is an award based on individual regular season performance and SB titles are all about team playoff performance.

With Josh Allen and the Bills, it’s specially about avoiding being one dimensional.....or even worse, micro dimensional.

I see what you're saying but I don't happen to agree. But it's not worth arguing about. I could give you reasons why the losers of SB's lost that had zero to do with their QB's winning the MVP. Go Bills!

notacon
12-10-2022, 04:58 AM
I see what you're saying but I don't happen to agree. But it's not worth arguing about. I could give you reasons why the losers of SB's lost that had zero to do with their QB's winning the MVP. Go Bills!

Fair enough. Although I suspect you disagree because you are misconstruing my premise.

I am not suggesting that the reason some teams have not won a SB in the same year as a player on that team won a MVP is because of that award.

What I am saying is that a player winning the MVP (for the last 22 years) and NOT winning a SB title is a reflection of what that award means and how playoff football is a whole different thing, and different and new season, than what the MVP uses based on....the individual performance during the regular season....and how much more important TEAM play is, especially during the playoff, to win a title.

Chet
12-11-2022, 12:23 PM
I just wish we could see the 2020 Week 9 through 17 Josh Allen and Bills offense. We’ve seen that team once in the last 2 years (playoff game vs NE)

Bill Cody
12-12-2022, 04:09 AM
I just wish we could see the 2020 Week 9 through 17 Josh Allen and Bills offense. We’ve seen that team once in the last 2 years (playoff game vs NE)

He was pretty good against the Chiefs in the playoffs last year no? Not his fault the coach choked.

Chet
12-12-2022, 09:46 AM
He was pretty good against the Chiefs in the playoffs last year no? Not his fault the coach choked.
Yes, he was amazing…my bad. I’ve wiped that game from my memory for safety precautions

TacklingDummy
12-19-2022, 05:12 AM
I'd say Josh moved to the 2 spot with his latest performance against the Dolphins.

1) Hurts
2) Allen
3) Burrow
4) Mahomes