Who got the most heat for the 4 superbowl losses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Who got the most heat for the 4 superbowl losses?

I wasnt old enough to see the superbowl and aftermath from the media. Who was mostly judged by that? I notice bills fans never seem to blame anyone but Norwood during the first one. Never heard any mention of kelly or marv

I just was thinking about how much crap mcdermott wouldve gotten from that and how the media would torch josh allen. I hear more about ronnie harmon than any 90s player
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Who got the most heat for the 4 superbowl losses?

In my circles it was Marv Levy for not having them ready and focused.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      In my circles it was Marv Levy for not having them ready and focused.
      This. The first SB they were out all night. Rumor has it there was a bar fight with some of the Bills players involved. Can you imagine BB, Parcells, Lombardi or Shula allowing this the night before any game let alone the SB!

As far as Norwood is concerned, yeah he missed the kick but, the field goal team was rushed out there because rather than get out of bounds, Thomas tried for extra yards with no timeouts left. If he gets out of bounds, it wouldn’t have been so hectic!

If you listen to Reich tell the story, Norwood kicked the ball where it was supposed to be kick. Reich said when the ball was in the air, he looked back at Scott and said we’re SB Champs! But the ball never turned, they looked at the flags around the stadium and they were limp for that moment for the rest of the time they were blowing right to left. The flags were blowing right before the kick and almost after the ball sailed past the upright.

Frank said if they had another 100 kicks, they would kick it to the same spot 100 times because during pregame and half time that’s where it needed to be. Just one of those kick in the nuts I talked about last night!!!
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

it sorta depended...

marv gets blame for superbowl 25 (the first one) because players were out partying all week. however a lot of stories circle teams (even winning teams) doing the same thing. For example going into Brady's first superbowl in NO against the Rams, stories were abound about the Patriots players going wild in NO all week leading up to the big game, where as Dick Vermeil had the rams all buttoned up and ready to go. Yet it was the patriots who won that game. So blaming Marv for the team partying on superbowl week is sort of stupid.

i'll tell you who/what is at fault IMHO for all 4 superbowls.

1) Superbowl 25; this one is on Walt Corey more then anyone else, and slightly less blame on Andre Reed and mark kelso. The bills defense made no adjustments to the Giants gameplan allowing the giants one endless drive after another keeping our offense off the field. some people claim BB and his giant's defense stymied us. Not at all. We barely had the ball, and when we did I think we only punted like 2 times all game. They moved the ball pretty easily against the giants defense. This was a close game so blaming any one player is rough, though Mark Kelso and Andre Reed both had atrocious games by their standards. Reed was hearing footsteps all game and alligator armed a lot of good passes, while Mark Kelso had one missed tackle after another all game long.

2) Superbowl 26: this one is hard to place a LOAD of blame on anyone, mostly because the Redskins that year were perhaps the greatest team to win a superbowl in NFL history. Everything just came together for them that year, and no one was stopping them. But if we're going to heap blame somewhere I'd say you could blame Chuck Dickerson for his nonsense leading up to the game and whomever misplaced tthomas's helmet.

3) Superbowl 27: remember that "quicksand" story from the replacements. This is what happened to the bills this game. The two losses really were in their heads and the moment something went wrong the game went sideways. I firmly believe we win this game if the bills were able to protect Kelly a bit better. the Cowboys were on his lap almost from the first snap of the game, and they forced him into an awful early INT when we were up 7-0. The next offensive snap Kelly was sacked- strip fumbled for another turnover, and the Cowboys rout was on. As i said, it was quicksand, and they just got worse as the game went on. The cowboys defensive line ate our offensive line alive, and this ended up resulting in 7 turnovers and a massive blowout

4) Superbowl 28: the bills could be considered emotionally fragile going into this game, but they got through the first half up 13-6; thanks in large part due to the fact troy aikman had no business playing this game (massive post concussion issues from the NFC championship game, he clearly couldn't think right and played the whole game like dog****); so who's to blame? Well this one I'll lay partly on TThomas's lap for an awful fumble in the 3rd quarter. After that the team seemed to deflate as if they expected to lose. and the quicksand started to flow again. That said, the Cowboys were forced to go exclusively to Emmet Smith in the second half cause Aikman didn't have it, and a dislocated shoulder by our NT Jeff Wright killed our chances to stop it. Once the cowboys figured out Wright was hurt they just kept running running back dives right at him, and Smith would be 4 yards downfield before a defender could get a hand on him. I still believe had wright not got hurt (we were stopping the running game pre-injury) we probably make this one a tight game and who knows what happens.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Probably should elaborate. There were always stories about the Bills partying like maniacs before the game, playing pranks on Levy like locking him in a portapot, Thomas losing his helmet, etc. Was kind of like when I had a crazy night out and passed out 2 hrs before getting up to go to work in a sluggish fog. I wasn't really accountable to anyone but me at the time and thought it would work out fine. Levy wasn't exactly a taskmaster.

They would come out flat and disoriented, no sign of their buzzsaw offense, everything looked like it was taking too much effort. They were a speed and finesse team playing tank type teams, and seemed to get stuck slugging it out in the opponents style of play instead of dictating theirs, which is what got them there.

Looking back on it I still blame Levy, but that's a two edged sword for his style. They never would have gotten there without Levy giving them their space either. They were just kind of a swashbuckling team used to swashbuckling, and it ended poorly in the biggest game because the opponents were more focused on playing a game over anything else.

Imho.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

In the past I would blame some people.

Now it's just water under the bridge and makes Bills fans who they are.

Go Bills.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Funny story though. I was on a Seneca Lake wine tour a few years ago. I was talking to one of the employees about the Bills and I said something about wide right. She gave me that deer in the headlights look. I asked her if she knew what that meant. She had no clue. These newer Bills fans have no idea the suffering older Bills fans have went through.
              Last edited by TacklingDummy; 12-08-2022, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

They were beaten by better teams in the last 3 SBs. In the first one, it was Levy for not having a curfew the night before the game and Kelly for not running Thurman every play until the Giants were forced to account for the running game.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

No different than today, there were various perceptions.

Norwood, Kelly for not calling more runs, Levy for not having the team prepared.

Kelly for playing like ass, Chuck Dickerson for flapping his jaws and giving the Hogs bulletin board material, the refs for letting Washington db's mug the Bills wr's. Losing Leonard Smith to a staph infection just before the game hurt.

Being weak up the middle with Wright at nose tackle and Kelso at safety was a consistent gripe (the more things change, the more they stay the same LOL).
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• imbondz
                    Democrats are people too
                    • Jan 2003

Sorry Yardrat! Not sure what happened with that post.

SB 1 we were completely out coached by Parcells and Bellichik. The Giants set a SB record for time of possession 41 minutes (Giants) vs 19 minutes (Bills) for the game. We had the ball for 8 minutes in the entire 2nd half. Pretty sure it’s still a record today. Levy had no response at all.

SB2 Thurman forgot his helmet. Rumors of partying all through the night before the SB. If we won the first one, I think we would have won 1 or possibly 2 more.
                    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                      Sorry Yardrat! Not sure what happened with that post.

SB 1 we were completely out coached by Parcells and Bellichik. The Giants set a SB record for time of possession 41 minutes (Giants) vs 19 minutes (Bills) for the game. We had the ball for 8 minutes in the entire 2nd half. Pretty sure it’s still a record today. Levy had no response at all.

SB2 Thurman forgot his helmet. Rumors of partying all through the night before the SB. If we won the first one, I think we would have won 1 or possibly 2 more.
                      Actually I think if that group would have one the 1st SB, they wouldn’t have gotten to the other 3 because they would have been too drunk, he’ll they might have been still drunk today, lol! They were party animals.
                      Retired Air Traffic Controller
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

No prob, there was a bad link or something.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                          • Mar 2013

For whatever reason, the Bills always just stopped being the Bills in the Super Bowl. I never really bought into the other teams being that much better,they were better at their game, we were better at ours but I never felt we played our game. They always came out stupid and lethargic and just responded instead of dictating

It was weird, but I never thought I saw the Bills play in a Super Bowl while watching the Bills play in Super Bowls.

Probably, thinking about it too much, it was Levy. But like TD said, water under the bridge.

Make it right. That's important now.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

SB 25 was excessive parties plus Kelly calling his own plays in the 2nd half, blowing off Marchibroda on top of the D failing to get off the field in the 3rd quarter.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                              • Feb 2009

Kelly in his autobiography admitted he should have called more run plays for Thurman in super bowl 25... Will McDounagh who worked for NBC Sports for years was in the bills locker room prior to the team coming on to the field in super bowl 27 and said that bills team was the most uptight and least relaxed team he had ever seen in his years of being in super bowl participants locker room s prior to the game starting... that bills teamwas mind ****ed and dwelling on the prospect of being the 1st team in nfl history to lose 3 straight super bowl s

Comment

Working...
                              X