PDA

View Full Version : The fact that the new stadium won’t be a dome

Forward_Lateral
12-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Is absolutely ridiculous.

There is no home field advantage for a team that passes the majority of the time.

Joe Fo Sho
12-11-2022, 10:17 AM
Football should be played in the elements.

sukie
12-11-2022, 10:22 AM
On grass which you can’t have in a dome in WNY

Gibby 2.0
12-11-2022, 10:32 AM

There is no home field advantage for a team that passes the majority of the time.

I had forgotten that Jackson County (MO) taxpayers had passed the funding referendum on putting a rolling dome on top of Arrowhead. . . . Oh wait, they didn't. Well, fortunately for them Mahomes doesn't pass that much. Yeah, stupid Queefs, they'll never win a Superbowl with no dome.

sahlensguy
12-11-2022, 10:45 AM
No dome and at the current location. Pick one or the other, not BOTH.

Forward_Lateral
12-11-2022, 10:50 AM
I had forgotten that Jackson County (MO) taxpayers had passed the funding referendum on putting a rolling dome on top of Arrowhead. . . . Oh wait, they didn't. Well, fortunately for them Mahomes doesn't pass that much. Yeah, stupid Queefs, they'll never win a Superbowl with no dome.

The weather in KC is nowhere near what it is in Orchard Park.

sukie
12-11-2022, 10:54 AM

Real grass!!!!

Mad Max
12-11-2022, 11:00 AM

I was curious so I looked up some averages:

KC under 30” of snow/year
Chicago under 40”
Green Bay under 50”
Buffalo…OVER 80” hahah

this alone is why they needed a dome…doesn’t even include the heavy winds and sideways rain which wreak havoc on everything much less a finesse offense like ours (and a QB that historically performs very poorly in such conditions)

Forward_Lateral
12-11-2022, 11:01 AM

what difference does location make? Are domes banned in OP? What an idiotic comment

kgun12
12-11-2022, 11:17 AM
I was curious so I looked up some averages:

KC under 30” of snow/year
Chicago under 40”
Green Bay under 50”
Buffalo…OVER 80” hahah

this alone is why they needed a dome…doesn’t even include the heavy winds and sideways rain which wreak havoc on everything much less a finesse offense like ours (and a QB that historically performs very poorly in such conditions)

So I checked rain and wind yearly averages:

KC rain 42 inches wind 12.30 mph
BUF rain 39 inches wind 14.68 mph
CHI rain 39 inches wind 9.9 mph
FB. rain 29.52 inches wind 15.8 mph

Mad Max
12-11-2022, 11:17 AM
what difference does location make? Are domes banned in OP? What an idiotic comment

I think he meant the fans got screwed twice. No dome AND stuck with the same middling location. He’s saying it would have been nice to get at least one of those two outcomes. Dome at OP or as a consolation prize open air (downtown).

Mad Max
12-11-2022, 11:19 AM
So I checked rain and wind yearly averages:

KC rain 42 inches wind 12.30 mph
BUF rain 39 inches wind 14.68 mph
CHI rain 39 inches wind 9.9 mph

I didn’t check but I would guess those rainfall totals mostly were not in winter

sahlensguy
12-11-2022, 11:20 AM

You deserve nothing.

kgun12
12-11-2022, 11:22 AM
I didn’t check but I would guess those rainfall totals mostly were not in winter

I get it , the snow only affects one of two game a year. Wind and rain have much more affect on games, especially the wind.

kgun12
12-11-2022, 11:39 AM
Look even if they were going to build a dome it wouldn’t help this team for the 4 years. So the bigger issue and an issue now is what do they need to do. Well how about this, the Bills ran the ball 14 with their RB’s, Josh had 10 rushes and they still had over 100 yards! That’s the problem, they need to run the ball more. Wind/rain/snow affects the passing game, I’m not sure what part of this Dorsey doesn’t understand about that!

Night Train
12-11-2022, 11:50 AM

I sat in the last row (15) of the Kelly Club my last 18 years of season tickets. Covered and heated. I hated the elements in younger days. The seasons were 18 rows from the field...amd I'm just a fan..

The quality of play on the field was way down in crap weather The home field advantage failed more than imagined in those bad conditions for our team.

With passing more these days, it hurts the Bills IMO. I believe the NFL and some big $ owners liked the open air idea for ratings and amusement. Revenue sharing teams get told what to do.

Typ0
12-11-2022, 12:07 PM
They couldn't get a deal done including a dome. Not much sense *****ing about it. Glad the team is locked into Buffalo for the foreseeable future. I like seeing a game in most elements but cold rain and snow sucks. Having a great passing offense then slowing it down doesn't make much sense. It is what it is.

TacklingDummy
12-11-2022, 12:35 PM
$1.6 billion got the Raiders a nice dome.

Turf
12-11-2022, 12:47 PM
We could install on giant windshield wiper on the dome. No more snow weight issues. :idea:

OpIv37
12-11-2022, 12:49 PM

I was at the AFCCG in KC in January ‘21. I was shocked at how temperate it was. It was much colder than Baltimore, but nowhere near WNY. It would get below freezing at night but there was no snow, very little wind and it was mostly dry. And the daytime temps were in the 40’s. I didn’t even wear a jacket during the tailgate and I was in short sleeves for most of it.

I used to be one of those old-skool “domes are for pussies-it’s football!” guys, but not anymore. The elements are a hindrance and not an advantage. Too late now, but I wish the new stadium would be a dome. I’m 43, so with the new deal, seeing a dome in Buffalo isn’t going to happen in my lifetime. Disappointing.

Turf
12-11-2022, 12:56 PM
I was at the AFCCG in KC in January ‘21. I was shocked at how temperate it was. It was much colder than Baltimore, but nowhere near WNY. It would get below freezing at night but there was no snow, very little wind and it was mostly dry. And the daytime temps were in the 40’s. I didn’t even wear a jacket during the tailgate and I was in short sleeves for most of it.

I used to be one of those old-skool “domes are for pussies-it’s football!” guys, but not anymore. The elements are a hindrance and not an advantage. Too late now, but I wish the new stadium would be a dome. I’m 43, so with the new deal, seeing a dome in Buffalo isn’t going to happen in my lifetime. Disappointing.

After freezing my ass off watching OJ run I'm done with those aluminum benches. No reason not to build a dome other than the usual cheapness and short sightedness.

Ingtar33
12-11-2022, 04:35 PM
I don't mind the open air stadium.

Listen, there is a psychological hurdle facing teams on the road already. toss the weather into it and it makes many teams just want to run to the bus. Unfamiliar stadium, hostile crowd, bad weather? no thank you.

I don't remember the awful weather holding up the kgun all that much, and i don't remember it really hurting JA all that much in the playoffs recently. How many home playoff games have we lost recently? 0? seems about right. I seem to remember JA and the offense pitching a perfect game against the pats in pretty awful weather last January.

kgun12
12-11-2022, 04:42 PM

Listen, there is a psychological hurdle facing teams on the road already. toss the weather into it and it makes many teams just want to run to the bus. Unfamiliar stadium, hostile crowd, bad weather? no thank you.

I don't remember the awful weather holding up the kgun all that much, and i don't remember it really hurting JA all that much in the playoffs recently. How many home playoff games have we lost recently? 0? seems about right. I seem to remember JA and the offense pitching a perfect game against the pats in pretty awful weather last January.

We’ll said

Forward_Lateral
12-12-2022, 02:23 AM

The weather in the playoff game was not awful. It was cold. There was little wind. There was no precipitation to affect the grip on the ball. Cold does not affect the passing game. Wind/wetness does.

Woodman
12-12-2022, 02:32 AM
We need a massive wind breaker.

Anybody else ever go ice fishing on Lake Erie?

kgun12
12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
The weather in the playoff game was not awful. It was cold. There was little wind. There was no precipitation to affect the grip on the ball. Cold does not affect the passing game. Wind/wetness does.

So you’re saying during all the playoff game we won the weather was not awful? So what Ingtar said is even more true, the cold is a psychological hurdle for visitors and gives us an advantage at home.

Forward_Lateral
12-12-2022, 02:54 AM
So you’re saying during all the playoff game we won the weather was not awful? So what Ingtar said is even more true, the cold is a psychological hurdle for visitors and gives us an advantage at home.

It was cold. Cold doesn't affect the passing game nearly as much as wind and rain.

There is no other location in the NFL, besides maybe Cleveland, that has wind so bad that it severely changes the game.

kgun12
12-12-2022, 03:03 AM
It was cold. Cold doesn't affect the passing game nearly as much as wind and rain.

There is no other location in the NFL, besides maybe Cleveland, that has wind so bad that it severely changes the game.

But what is our home playoff record since 1990. It was so overwhelming that the NFL actually talked about putting the Conference championship game at a neutral site because of the Bills dominance during their 4 SB run.

Forward_Lateral
12-12-2022, 03:11 AM
But what is our home playoff record since 1990. It was so overwhelming that the NFL actually talked about putting the Conference championship game at a neutral site because of the Bills dominance during their 4 SB run.
Those Bills teams could run the ball. They didn't just drop back and throw it every play. They had one of the best running games in the NFL.

This team doesn't. It refuses to adjust the play calling to the weather. Teams now are soft compared to teams of the early 90s.

kgun12
12-12-2022, 03:16 AM
Those Bills teams could run the ball. They didn't just drop back and throw it every play. They had one of the best running games in the NFL.

This team doesn't. It refuses to adjust the play calling to the weather. Teams now are soft compared to teams of the early 90s.

You are correct, but that’s not an open air stadium issue, that’s a coaching issue.

Look ever since the Dolphins game everyone has been complaining about how unfair it was that it was hot and the Fins put the visitors in the sun making it worse. Well the Bills get the same home field advantage in the later part of the season. BTW, the Bills put the visitors in the shady side of the field just like the Dolphins do.

And the attendance does suffer at all for the Bills during the playoffs.

sukie
12-12-2022, 05:06 AM
But the Bills use on field heaters so the Dolphins can as well. In Miami, the “misters” were unavailable to the Bills because the Dolphins didn’t use them (being 30 degrees cooler in shade)

Forward_Lateral
12-12-2022, 05:09 AM
You are correct, but that’s not an open air stadium issue, that’s a coaching issue.

Look ever since the Dolphins game everyone has been complaining about how unfair it was that it was hot and the Fins put the visitors in the sun making it worse. Well the Bills get the same home field advantage in the later part of the season. BTW, the Bills put the visitors in the shady side of the field just like the Dolphins do.

And the attendance does suffer at all for the Bills during the playoffs.
Fair point.