PDA

View Full Version : Why is miami in the east and Indi in the south?

Cali512
12-16-2022, 10:33 AM
Just a question. I was looking at the divisions and its sort of weird that Houston-Tennessee-Jacksonville are in a division while buffalo, Ny, and boston(NE), are in a division with miami in the east and Indi is in the "south"

When they moved indi to the south, why didnt they instead move miami there to make the locations make sense?

sukie
12-16-2022, 10:53 AM
Indy used to be east. The rivalries are hard to break up with Miami.

YardRat
12-16-2022, 10:59 AM
The Buffalo/Miami rivalry was too big to break up. Same with Washington/Dallas.

Thurmal
12-16-2022, 11:09 AM
Miami was given the opportunity to choose when the realignment happened and chose to stay in the AFC East due to the rivalries. They probably figured that the only time they could fill their stadium is when the Bills or Jets came to town

kgun12
12-16-2022, 11:12 AM
Ralph Wilson also lobbied the NFL to keep Miami in the division.

OpIv37
12-16-2022, 12:13 PM
Just a question. I was looking at the divisions and its sort of weird that Houston-Tennessee-Jacksonville are in a division while buffalo, Ny, and boston(NE), are in a division with miami in the east and Indi is in the "south"

When they moved indi to the south, why didnt they instead move miami there to make the locations make sense?
That’s your question? I mean, every team in the AFC North is south of the Bills, Jets and Patriots, and the Ravens are east of the Bills, but the Bills are in the East.

And that’s just the start. Dallas is in the NFCE but Atlanta, Carolina, Detroit, NO and Tampa are east of Dallas.

it has everything to do with rivalries and nothing to do with actual geography.

Forward_Lateral
12-16-2022, 01:03 PM
That’s your question? I mean, every team in the AFC North is south of the Bills, Jets and Patriots, and the Ravens are east of the Bills, but the Bills are in the East.

And that’s just the start. Dallas is in the NFCE but Atlanta, Carolina, Detroit, NO and Tampa are east of Dallas.

it has everything to do with rivalries and nothing to do with actual geography.

Exactly. If it was strictly geographical it would be something like

Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit

kgun12
12-16-2022, 01:14 PM
Exactly. If it was strictly geographical it would be something like

Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit

Man I’d love that all division games to include Buffalo would be within 3 hours of my house. It would be awesome!

sukie
12-16-2022, 01:38 PM
Man I’d love that all division games to include Buffalo would be within 3 hours of my house. It would be awesome!
Wouldn’t Cindy instead of Detroit make sense?

ParanoidAndroid
12-16-2022, 05:14 PM
That's nothin'.

Remember the first 15 years after the Cardinals moved to Az? They stayed in the NFC East.

YardRat
12-16-2022, 10:38 PM

Probably not, when you consider the Bengals proximity to Tennessee and Indianapolis.

Forward_Lateral
12-17-2022, 01:02 AM

Detroit is actually closer, believe it or not by about 150 miles

Woodman
12-17-2022, 01:33 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ut3jqRlElOM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

And we worry about Miami being in the East and Indi in the South.

:D :D :D

Turf
12-17-2022, 06:34 AM
Ralph Wilson also lobbied the NFL to keep Miami in the division.

^This^

kgun12
12-17-2022, 07:52 AM

Yeah, Detroit is closer and we have family in Detroit Pittsburgh and Buffalo to stay with and visit.