• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Thoughts on Singletary not trying to score the td

Selfless move but I believe it was risky due to the weather conditions even on a short kick.

Tua would need to get a td with 30 seconds and no timeouts. Also blew my cover! But seriously was anyone more nervous with the kick compared to Miami trying to score to tie.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Thoughts on Singletary not trying to score the td

That's true, but the FG was shorter than an extra point would have been in the same conditions.

Imagine scoring a TD and missing the xp, leaving forty seconds on the clock and a chance for the Dolphins to win it with a converted xp of their own. No way I want our defense and Tyreek Hill in that situation.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

I talked about this after the game most people said it was a great decision. I would rather score the TD. Here’s the other side of that, if Bass misses and we lose in OT McDermett takes the blame and the fans want him rode out of town on a rail. Oh I know, I know he made the kick, but I just think momentum had clearly shifted to the Bills, the mafia was back in it, it was snowing like crazy and Tua is not Mahomes.

Any way snow under the plow (water under the bridge) we got the W on to Chicago!
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• kgun12
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        That's true, but the FG was shorter than an extra point would have been in the same conditions.

Imagine scoring a TD and missing the xp, leaving forty seconds on the clock and a chance for the Dolphins to win it with a converted xp of their own. No way I want our defense and Tyreek Hill in that situation.
        I didn’t think about the missed extra point, I’ll give you that argument but I would take my chances with Tua.
        USAF VETERAN
        DAV

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
          • Mar 2004

I was worried.

In good weather it’s 100% the right play and very unselfish and smart. But I was worried about the possibility of the kick being difficult due to footing. But I had no idea what the field was like and they did.

Obviously the team felt it wouldn’t be a problem from that distance and it was absolutely the right move. Great play by motor.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
            I talked about this after the game most people said it was a great decision. I would rather score the TD. Here’s the other side of that, if Bass misses and we lose in OT McDermett takes the blame and the fans want him rode out of town on a rail. Oh I know, I know he made the kick, but I just think momentum had clearly shifted to the Bills, the mafia was back in it, it was snowing like crazy and Tua is not Mahomes.

Any way snow under the plow (water under the bridge) we got the W on to Chicago!
            I disagree. Since they were obviously confident they could kick in the conditions, giving the ball to Miami with time to get it to Tyreek was far more dangerous.

who do you trust more? Bass on a short FG or our secondary versus Hill or Waddle deep.

Comment

• mightysimi
              Buckle me in on the highway of sin
              • Mar 2010

Would like it less in the elements if we were losing. Tied, I think it's the right play. Either we win or we tie and go to OT

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

That's either the second or third time we won a game this year with a walk-off field goal.

I thought it was brilliant clock management.

Clearly they have learned their lesson after the 13 seconds in KC.

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

I loved it. Worse case it goes into OT. If he scored, worse case is Bills defender slips on snow, Miami scores and goes for 2 pts to win it. I thought the FG risk was less of a risk.
                  My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                    • Feb 2006

Risky, but one of those situations where if it works, it's the right call. Same comment had he scored the TD.

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Funny though, all the linemen were brushing off the wrong area.

They were brushing away snow from the center to the holder....wasted energy.

They need to clean from where the kicker stands, to the holder, lol

Comment

• kgun12
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                        That's either the second or third time we won a game this year with a walk-off field goal.

I thought it was brilliant clock management.

Clearly they have learned their lesson after the 13 seconds in KC.
                        Actually McDermett said that was all Singletary. Like I said the staff would have raked the blame if they lost.

I’m over it we won.
                        USAF VETERAN
                        DAV

Comment

• imbondz
                          Democrats are people too
                          • Jan 2003

It’s very weird to me if McDermott didn’t discuss that with the players before that play tho.
                          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• kgun12
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                            It’s very weird to me if McDermott didn’t discuss that with the players before that play tho.
                            I saw the video this morning, trying to find it.
                            USAF VETERAN
                            DAV

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                              My IQ Test results came back negative
                              • Oct 2002

Loved it. Trust bass to kick the 25 yarder. Not giving them a chance to get the ball back. Bass is a professional kicker. If they didn’t think he could kick a 25 yarder in a little snow with little wind he wouldn’t be on the team.

Don’t forget.. singletary was on the team last year. People don’t forget certain things. Give them no chance to touch the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X