PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Singletary not trying to score the td

BuffaloBlitz83
12-18-2022, 01:34 AM
Selfless move but I believe it was risky due to the weather conditions even on a short kick.

Tua would need to get a td with 30 seconds and no timeouts. Also blew my cover! But seriously was anyone more nervous with the kick compared to Miami trying to score to tie.

YardRat
12-18-2022, 01:37 AM
That's true, but the FG was shorter than an extra point would have been in the same conditions.

Imagine scoring a TD and missing the xp, leaving forty seconds on the clock and a chance for the Dolphins to win it with a converted xp of their own. No way I want our defense and Tyreek Hill in that situation.

kgun12
12-18-2022, 01:42 AM
I talked about this after the game most people said it was a great decision. I would rather score the TD. Here’s the other side of that, if Bass misses and we lose in OT McDermett takes the blame and the fans want him rode out of town on a rail. Oh I know, I know he made the kick, but I just think momentum had clearly shifted to the Bills, the mafia was back in it, it was snowing like crazy and Tua is not Mahomes.

Any way snow under the plow (water under the bridge) we got the W on to Chicago!

kgun12
12-18-2022, 01:45 AM
That's true, but the FG was shorter than an extra point would have been in the same conditions.

Imagine scoring a TD and missing the xp, leaving forty seconds on the clock and a chance for the Dolphins to win it with a converted xp of their own. No way I want our defense and Tyreek Hill in that situation.

I didn’t think about the missed extra point, I’ll give you that argument but I would take my chances with Tua.

Canadian'eh!
12-18-2022, 01:45 AM
I was worried.

In good weather it’s 100% the right play and very unselfish and smart. But I was worried about the possibility of the kick being difficult due to footing. But I had no idea what the field was like and they did.

Obviously the team felt it wouldn’t be a problem from that distance and it was absolutely the right move. Great play by motor.

Canadian'eh!
12-18-2022, 01:47 AM
I talked about this after the game most people said it was a great decision. I would rather score the TD. Here’s the other side of that, if Bass misses and we lose in OT McDermett takes the blame and the fans want him rode out of town on a rail. Oh I know, I know he made the kick, but I just think momentum had clearly shifted to the Bills, the mafia was back in it, it was snowing like crazy and Tua is not Mahomes.

Any way snow under the plow (water under the bridge) we got the W on to Chicago!
I disagree. Since they were obviously confident they could kick in the conditions, giving the ball to Miami with time to get it to Tyreek was far more dangerous.

who do you trust more? Bass on a short FG or our secondary versus Hill or Waddle deep.

mightysimi
12-18-2022, 01:52 AM
Would like it less in the elements if we were losing. Tied, I think it's the right play. Either we win or we tie and go to OT

Historian
12-18-2022, 01:56 AM
That's either the second or third time we won a game this year with a walk-off field goal.

I thought it was brilliant clock management.

Clearly they have learned their lesson after the 13 seconds in KC.

imbondz
12-18-2022, 01:58 AM
I loved it. Worse case it goes into OT. If he scored, worse case is Bills defender slips on snow, Miami scores and goes for 2 pts to win it. I thought the FG risk was less of a risk.

Buffalogic
12-18-2022, 01:58 AM
Risky, but one of those situations where if it works, it's the right call. Same comment had he scored the TD.

Historian
12-18-2022, 02:00 AM
Funny though, all the linemen were brushing off the wrong area.

They were brushing away snow from the center to the holder....wasted energy.

They need to clean from where the kicker stands, to the holder, lol

kgun12
12-18-2022, 02:02 AM
That's either the second or third time we won a game this year with a walk-off field goal.

I thought it was brilliant clock management.

Clearly they have learned their lesson after the 13 seconds in KC.

Actually McDermett said that was all Singletary. Like I said the staff would have raked the blame if they lost.

I’m over it we won.

imbondz
12-18-2022, 02:08 AM
It’s very weird to me if McDermott didn’t discuss that with the players before that play tho.

kgun12
12-18-2022, 02:10 AM
It’s very weird to me if McDermott didn’t discuss that with the players before that play tho.

I saw the video this morning, trying to find it.

BillsOwnAll
12-18-2022, 02:21 AM
Loved it. Trust bass to kick the 25 yarder. Not giving them a chance to get the ball back. Bass is a professional kicker. If they didn’t think he could kick a 25 yarder in a little snow with little wind he wouldn’t be on the team.

Don’t forget.. singletary was on the team last year. People don’t forget certain things. Give them no chance to touch the ball.

Canadian'eh!
12-18-2022, 02:45 AM
Actually McDermett said that was all Singletary. Like I said the staff would have raked the blame if they lost.

I’m over it we won.
I find it alarming that there was a timeout in there and the staff didn’t say “don’t score if they let you” the coaches should be planning for those scenarios.

kgun12
12-18-2022, 02:51 AM

Anyway, what he said something like we’ve talked about this in the passed kinda like the Ravens game, but it was great awareness on his part.

sahlensguy
12-18-2022, 03:04 AM
Greater chance of a missed fg than the Dolphins scoring a td with no time outs left.

It was the wrong move.

BillsOwnAll
12-18-2022, 03:13 AM
Greater chance of a missed fg than the Dolphins scoring a td with no time outs left.

It was the wrong move.

https://www.footballperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/fg-succ-rate.png

Old data. But the same nonetheless. 99% success rate… yes it was snowing but no wind.

Did you see the way the bills we’re tackling? I wouldn’t trust them to tackle hill twice.

So in the end: 99% chance you win.

1% chance you goto overtime. Where you have a 50% chance to win.

Kicking the fg gives dolphins <0.001% chance to win in regulation.

I’ll take the field goal try 11/10 times

TacklingDummy
12-18-2022, 03:18 AM
Bassamatic for the win. I was good with it.

kgun12
12-18-2022, 03:19 AM
I get it and understand the decision but it didn’t make it any easier for me to watch.

Kenny
12-18-2022, 03:29 AM
under normal weather conditions, I would 100% agree with it. But with snow and slippery conditions, I would have wanted the TD instead. Just happy it all worked out.

sahlensguy
12-18-2022, 03:48 AM
https://www.footballperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/fg-succ-rate.png

Old data. But the same nonetheless. 99% success rate… yes it was snowing but no wind.

Did you see the way the bills we’re tackling? I wouldn’t trust them to tackle hill twice.

So in the end: 99% chance you win.

1% chance you goto overtime. Where you have a 50% chance to win.

Kicking the fg gives dolphins <0.001% chance to win in regulation.

I’ll take the field goal try 11/10 times

That's greater than I expected and I stand corrected.

sukie
12-18-2022, 03:54 AM
Tyler bass is here to kick field goals. That kick couldn’t have been more dead center. It is and was the right call. Imagine a Bills fumble or endzone pick. You took the 3 to win. It was a chip.

Forward_Lateral
12-18-2022, 03:56 AM
I can see both points of view.

In those conditions, I’d say the odds of the dolphins driving the field and scoring a TD were low, but this left zero room for any dumb defensive miscues of the past

kgun12
12-18-2022, 03:58 AM
Tyler bass is here to kick field goals. That kick couldn’t have been more dead center. It is and was the right call. Imagine a Bills fumble or endzone pick. You took the 3 to win. It was a chip.

I can turn this around, what if he missed and the dolphins won in overtime. Both had risk and it worked out.

notacon
12-18-2022, 04:50 AM
What a head’s up move by Singletary. That is smart situational football.

Typ0
12-18-2022, 05:10 AM
Looked like some kind of overthinking dumbness to me. Not putting up the go ahead TD so you can settle for a field goal attempt? Lame pussy ass football.

Woodman
12-18-2022, 05:23 AM
Selfless move but I believe it was risky due to the weather conditions even on a short kick.

Tua would need to get a td with 30 seconds and no timeouts. Also blew my cover! But seriously was anyone more nervous with the kick compared to Miami trying to score to tie.

You always opt to never give the opponent any chance at all.

ParanoidAndroid
12-18-2022, 05:28 AM
Whenever you can finish a game with possession, you do it.

It was the right decision.

The defense had already given up several big plays and this took Hill, Waddle and Mostert right out of the equation.

Typ0
12-18-2022, 05:33 AM
You guys are being blinded either by homer glasses or the fact that McDermott's defense can't stop anyone from going down field. You want to take a field goal attempt as time runs out over a TD? 1000 ways this team could screw that up.

notacon
12-18-2022, 05:34 AM
Looked like some kind of overthinking dumbness to me. Not putting up the go ahead TD so you can settle for a field goal attempt? Lame pussy ass football.

:rofl: What a lame, pussy ass opinion

Woodman
12-18-2022, 05:37 AM
One more time just in case someone doesn't understand ....... you never allow your opponent a possession if you can do that !

sukie
12-18-2022, 06:03 AM
I can turn this around, what if he missed and the dolphins won in overtime. Both had risk and it worked out.
This is closing out a game. It’s how it’s done. You don’t leave 40 seconds on the clock and hope the D stops them. Nearly six minutes consumed.

“what if“ land is no place to live.

Historian
12-18-2022, 06:10 AM
One more time just in case someone doesn't understand ....... you never allow your opponent a possession if you can do that !

Ya know, it's funny.

Many here, your HISTORIAN included, have ripped McDermott for his game management, use of challenges, time outs, etc, but this is the second time this season the Bills go home victorious, with a walkoff field goal.

I belive it was the right call, and I believe he's growing as a head coach.

Cntrygal
12-18-2022, 06:12 AM

But it looked good for the camera! :insane:

kgun12
12-18-2022, 06:46 AM
I get it and understand the decision but it didn’t make it any easier for me to watch.

Like I said above ^,

Let me ask a question, does this or doesn’t this board blows up if he misses that field goal and they loose in OT. People would be screaming what a dumb ass Singletary and McDermott are we had the six points!!!

Right or wrong?

sahlensguy
12-18-2022, 06:51 AM
Like I said above ^,

Let me ask a question, does this or doesn’t this board blows up if he misses that field goal and they loose in OT. People would be screaming what a dumb ass Singletary and McDermott are we had the six points!!!

Right or wrong?

Exactly.

Which way would you rather go into OT, if we did.

Giving up a td with no TOs left and 40 seconds to go (yes) or,

Missing the fg after Singletary decided to not score (no).

ParanoidAndroid
12-18-2022, 07:05 AM
Like I said above ^,

Right or wrong?
Nope. I would have chalked it up to Vikings game kind of ****ty luck. I thought it was the right decision as soon as he did it.

The offense went right down the field and guys were making cuts, not slipping. Bass was taking warm-up reps and didn't lose his footing at all. I don't think the footing was that bad.

Mace
12-18-2022, 07:31 AM
McDermott said they practice that and call it "no mas", indicating that's a coaching intent. Singletary knew when to use it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/18/sean-mcdermott-praises-devin-singletary-for-not-scoring-touchdown-on-final-carry/

I'm fine with because, I won't lie, it worked.

I'd probably be finer if they scored a touchdown because McFrazier was confident they could stop someone on defense....but.....they can't and appear to know it.

sahlensguy
12-18-2022, 07:37 AM
McDermott said they practice that and call it "no mas", indicating that's a coaching intent. Singletary knew when to use it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/18/sean-mcdermott-praises-devin-singletary-for-not-scoring-touchdown-on-final-carry/

I'm fine with because, I won't lie, it worked.

I'd probably be finer if they scored a touchdown because McFrazier was confident they could stop someone on defense....but.....they can't and appear to know it.

Figures McD encouraged it for this situation.

Score the damn ball and get the stop, like the Champs they aspire to be.

Cntrygal
12-18-2022, 07:47 AM
I liked Singletary's decision to stop short. I had much more confidence in Bass than our D at that point.

Plus.... there was this:

We need a 5:56 minute drive - resulting in points.

Link (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262008-Fins-Bills-GDT-!!?p=4987350&viewfull=1#post4987350)

kgun12
12-18-2022, 08:20 AM
I liked Singletary's decision to stop short. I had much more confidence in Bass than our D at that point.

Plus.... there was this:

Link (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262008-Fins-Bills-GDT-!!?p=4987350&viewfull=1#post4987350)

Well that makes it all worth it! :bow:

Ingtar33
12-18-2022, 08:23 AM

I seem to recall Tyrek Hll taking a 8 yard in, 60 yards for a TD for the chiefs in just 20 seconds last January.

so **** that noise.

Mace
12-18-2022, 10:28 AM
Figures McD encouraged it for this situation.

Score the damn ball and get the stop, like the Champs they aspire to be.

It would be ideal, but I don't think they're capable of being that confident with their scheme. McFrazier do not have a bag of tricks to dynamically adapt. I think they walked away from 13 seconds with the lesson, do not be in that position, instead of how to adjust to prevent it. They're just not defensive wizards and are limited to the talent level of their players on the field playing their bendy scheme. Imho.

sahlensguy
12-18-2022, 10:42 AM
It would be ideal, but I don't think they're capable of being that confident with their scheme. McFrazier do not have a bag of tricks to dynamically adapt. I think they walked away from 13 seconds with the lesson, do not be in that position, instead of how to adjust to prevent it. They're just not defensive wizards and are limited to the talent level of their players on the field playing their bendy scheme. Imho.

I understand that and it's fair given who they seem to be scheme wise. It just sucks that these coaches have a bunch of good players who can't stop 3rd and 10's and are scared of their own shadow. The Dolphins aren't last years Chiefs (minus Hill) and they didn't have any timeouts. Get the td, make the stop and gain some much needed confidence.

notacon
12-19-2022, 07:00 AM
Like I said above ^,

Right or wrong?
NOT ME.

To miss that FG would have been a one-in-a-thousand choke jobs. Bass is not a choker.

It was the SMART situational football decision.

What would have been MUCH, MUCH worse is if the Bills did score a TD, and then Tyreek Hill beat us with along TD catch. The chances of THAT happening are greater than Bass missing a shorter than extra point kick.

THAT would have had the board screaming what a dumb ass Singletary and McDermott were for NOT doing the smart thing and going down to ensure the clock ran out without given the ball back to Miami.

Oaf
12-19-2022, 07:02 AM
I was worried.

In good weather it’s 100% the right play and very unselfish and smart. But I was worried about the possibility of the kick being difficult due to footing. But I had no idea what the field was like and they did.

Obviously the team felt it wouldn’t be a problem from that distance and it was absolutely the right move. Great play by motor.

The Dolphins wanted us to score. Don't do what the Dolphins want us to do.

sukie
12-19-2022, 07:43 AM
Not being able to stop the click as it mercilessly ticked down to the penultimate second was torture to the Dolphins as their souls were rectally pulled like a polyp and tossed into a biohazard bag.

the kick was the way to go there.

MikeInRoch
12-20-2022, 12:59 AM
I seem to recall Tyrek Hll taking a 8 yard in, 60 yards for a TD for the chiefs in just 20 seconds last January.

so **** that noise.

I'm trying to block that memory out...

Discotrish
12-20-2022, 04:49 AM

Yes I was concerned about exactly that.

Goobylal
12-20-2022, 08:23 AM
It was what you do 100% of the time (unless your LS and/or holder and/or kicker is injured). And it worked. Discussion closed.

John Doe
12-20-2022, 10:24 PM
A couple years ago the Chiefs had the ball with 2 seconds to go in the first half at their own 40 yard line against the Cowboys. Dallas played to stop the hail Mary, so all KC did was throw a little screen pass to Hill over the middle. He scored with ease. Hill is the most dangerous weapon in football. You don't give him any chances to beat you.

YardRat
12-20-2022, 10:34 PM
Not being able to stop the click as it mercilessly ticked down to the penultimate second was torture to the Dolphins as their souls were rectally pulled like a polyp and tossed into a biohazard bag.

the kick was the way to go there.

That was....beautiful, *sniff*

Forward_Lateral
12-20-2022, 11:17 PM
The more I think about it, the more that it was the right play.

The field conditions were worsening, and like John Doe said, Hill can score from anywhere at any time. All it would take is one guy to lose his footing, and bam, tie ball game, possibly Mcdouchenozzle going for 2 to win the game.

notacon
12-21-2022, 05:54 AM
The more I think about it, the more that it was the right play.

The field conditions were worsening, and like John Doe said, Hill can score from anywhere at any time. All it would take is one guy to lose his footing, and bam, tie ball game, possibly Mcdouchenozzle going for 2 to win the game.

In Isaiah McKenzie’s weekly podcast he said that stopping short of scoring a TD was an emphasis in the huddle. Of COURSE it was the right play....and the whole team knew it was the smart thing to do.

If he scored, Miami would probably have gotten the ball back with about 30 seconds to play.

With the game tied, it was a no-brainer. As was the kneel down that Josh did the next play.

yordad
12-21-2022, 06:03 AM

Was about to comment w exactly this. Watching I was like. "WTF are they doing".