PDA

View Full Version : There's no way they play this game this week, if at all.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 01:53 AM
I can't possibly see how the NFL could even think about resuming the game now.

I can't really see how the game could even be replayed, without moving the playoff games, etc.

I could see the game just ending in a tie.

I could see the Bills forfeiting this game and possibly the Patriots game.

I just don't see how a team could possibly play after that.

Honestly, if McDermott came out and said, we are going to take the L for this game and the Patriots game, I would completely understand.

I don't even have any desire to watch football right now. I feel sick.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 02:11 AM
Don't play the game. Whatever they decide to do record wise I don't care.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 02:16 AM
Pretty sure the season continued after Stingley, Utley, Chuck Hughes.

You're saying they would skip New England because...?

And there are repercussions beyond our own team for not finishing this Bengals game. I realize this is a serious medical incident, but co-workers have serious medical incidents nationwide each and every day. People still have to go back to work.

I'm not suggesting it'll be easy, but there are reasons why they might have to do it.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-03-2023, 02:17 AM
Don't play the game. Whatever they decide to do record wise I don't care.

Unless they play for Damar. Again that's if we hear today he made it through.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 02:17 AM
I would understand why the Bills would just take an L ...

And that is when it would become every other stake-holder in the NFL's responsibility to step up and protect them from this trauma born response.

imbondz
01-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Sick to my stomach still. They won’t forfeit both games but I don’t really care what they do. Just hoping Damars youth and being in great shape overcomes this and he can wake up and feel normal.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 02:28 AM

And there are repercussions beyond our own team for not finishing this Bengals game. I realize this is a serious medical incident, but co-workers have serious medical incidents nationwide each and every day. People still have to go back to work.

I'm not suggesting it'll be easy, but there are reasons why they might have to do it.

They can't skip the NE game. No matter what happens life goes on. We've all had to deal with that.

I'm fine with the Bills taking the L for last nights game. I think the team would be ok with it too. They could move the start of the playoffs back 1 week and have the Bills/Bengals game next Thursday. I'm not going to have an issue with whatever they do. I wouldn't want to be the one figuring this out.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 02:29 AM
There is a good chance Hamlin had a pre-existing condition that either contributed and caused this incident -- a pre-existing condition no one knew about.

So I just ask everyone ... what is the big tragedy here? These men are playing in a spectacle. Human beings who are fallible and things are going to happen.

People need to deal with themselves this is more a normal thing that happens in the course of life and death. People are living and dying all the time. Then you get exposed to that and start freaking out with all kinds of irrationality. None of that is about Damar Hamlin or anything that will help that man ...

TacklingDummy
01-03-2023, 02:34 AM
Would a loss be fair to the Bills?

Would a tie be fair to the Chiefs and Ravens?

Why not give the loss to the Bengals?

Not everyone is going to like what the NFL does. I'm not even sure they have any idea what to do.

Cali512
01-03-2023, 02:36 AM
There is a good chance Hamlin had a pre-existing condition that either contributed and caused this incident -- a pre-existing condition no one knew about.

So I just ask everyone ... what is the big tragedy here? These men are playing in a spectacle. Human beings who are fallible and things are going to happen.

People need to deal with themselves this is more a normal thing that happens in the course of life and death. People are living and dying all the time. Then you get exposed to that and start freaking out with all kinds of irrationality. None of that is about Damar Hamlin or anything that will help that man ...

Maybe if it happened to you...but hamlin was a football player that we actually care about and this doesnt just happen. What happened to him is one of the rarest possible things, in a sport that its rarely happened.

I would love to of seen you after 9/11

"Guys their just towers, and people die all the time"

**** off

Woodman
01-03-2023, 02:36 AM

Not everyone is going to like what the NFL does. I'm not even sure they have any idea what to do.

Give both a win.

Cali512
01-03-2023, 02:37 AM
Also, if hamlin did die, there a good chance the nfl could put the season on hold for a pr standpoint. This is absolutely the worst case scenerio for the nfl

OpIv37
01-03-2023, 02:42 AM
Obviously the most important thing is Hamiln's health and the second most important thing is the emotional health of the players and coaches who witnessed what happened.

In terms of the schedule and standings, though, it's just a logistical nightmare. It's not fair to give the Bills an L or the Bengals a W that they didn't really earn, especially given that it will affect the Chiefs and the top seed in the AFC. It's not fair to the Ravens, because if the Bengals lost to us and lose to them this coming week, they would win the division. Time-wise, it's hard to see how they can reschedule and play the game. Both the Bills and Bengals have to play this weekend and would already be prepping for their next opponent in a normal week.

The least bad option may be to just pretend the game was never scheduled and have the Bills and Bengals with 16-game seasons when everyone else has a 17 game schedule, but even that's messed up. If the Chiefs and Bills both win this coming week, both teams will have 3 losses and the Bills beat the Chiefs, but the Chiefs will have the better winning percentage. If the Bills and Chiefs lose and the Bengals win, then all 4 teams will have 4 losses, but once again the Chiefs will have a higher winning percentage because they have an extra game.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 02:42 AM

A tie would be just as bad as and L for the Bills as far as getting the #1 seed.

The fairest thing to do is start the playoffs a week later but even that wouldn't be fair because all the other playoff teams would get a week off to rest. There isn't a good answer.

Woodman
01-03-2023, 02:43 AM
Give both a win.

OpIv37
01-03-2023, 02:44 AM

There is no "fair" at this point. The game will not be played, so any option is going to suck and someone is going to get screwed. It's just a matter of finding the least bad option.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 02:44 AM
Give both a win.

Interesting thought. Baltimore and KC would be the only ones *****ing about that.

BillsOwnAll
01-03-2023, 02:46 AM
A tie would be just as bad as and L for the Bills as far as getting the #1 seed.

The fairest thing to do is start the playoffs a week later but even that wouldn't be fair because all the other playoff teams would get a week off to rest. There isn't a good answer.

I think starting the playoffs a week late is going to be the conclusion. Forcing a forfeit isn’t possible, bills would have to agree to it. Forcing a tie/no contest also isn’t possible unless both teams agree.

Giving other teams an extra week off is the “most fair” really.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2023, 02:54 AM
Hamlin health has just put an exclamation point on how bad this season has been going for the Bills. It's amazing that they are 12-3 at this point. Has any other team had to deal with so much in 1 season?

Woodman
01-03-2023, 02:54 AM
Interesting thought. Baltimore and KC would be the only ones *****ing about that.

I'd still give them both the win.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 02:56 AM
Maybe if it happened to you...but hamlin was a football player that we actually care about and this doesnt just happen. What happened to him is one of the rarest possible things, in a sport that its rarely happened.

I would love to of seen you after 9/11

"Guys their just towers, and people die all the time"

**** off

Different situation and parameters.

What we saw happen on the field with Hamlin is something normal that happens in the course of life ....

The Towers were the victim of other people's behaviors.

It just isn't that rare people are dying all the time -- and if you don't think so you are in denial.

Do you know hamburger comes from a cow?

Typ0
01-03-2023, 02:58 AM
I think starting the playoffs a week late is going to be the conclusion. Forcing a forfeit isn’t possible, bills would have to agree to it. Forcing a tie/no contest also isn’t possible unless both teams agree.

Giving other teams an extra week off is the “most fair” really.

It is not up to the teams to agree. Both of those teams have been traumatized. The game must be played because of the situation. The teams are not in the best position to make the decision due to the trauma.

How and when they play the game is a tough one...

Novacane
01-03-2023, 02:59 AM
I'd still give them both the win.

The more I think about it I think you're on to something. If Cinci beats Baltimore next weekend KC would be the only one with a complaint. And they'd just be complaining about the unknown since the Bills might have won anyway.

After what both of those teams went through last night anyone crying about them both getting the W would look like a real POS.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 02:59 AM
I never even thought about giving both a win.

KC has zero room to whine if this happens. They lost to both teams.

Baltimore can suck it.

Woodman
01-03-2023, 03:00 AM
Pray for Damar Hamlin.

Worry about everything else later.

The game is never bigger than the player IMO.

OpIv37
01-03-2023, 03:02 AM
Pray for Damar Hamlin.

Why can't it be both?

Obviously everyone wants a positive outcome for Damar.

But regardless of that, the world doesn't just shut down because of what happened to one person.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 03:02 AM
I never even thought about giving both a win.

KC has zero room to whine if this happens. They lost to both teams.

Baltimore can suck it.

Great point.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 03:03 AM

I guess it depends. If Hamlin ends up being ok, and will recover, then sure, it's easy to continue, but what if, God forbid, he passes away today, tomorrow, etc?

This is unprecedented territory for the NFL and the NFLPA. I just hope Damar somehow pulls through this

Typ0
01-03-2023, 03:04 AM
Pray for Damar Hamlin.

How does shutting down and not going on with life somehow help Damar Hamlin?

We have been doing this life and death thing for billions of years you know.

BillsOwnAll
01-03-2023, 03:04 AM

It is not up to the teams to agree. Both of those teams have been traumatized. The game must be played because of the situation. The teams are not in the best position to make the decision due to the trauma.

How and when they play the game is a tough one...

Well the bills could 100% forfeit if they wanted too.. but I’m saying godell doesn’t have the power to make that descion for them

Novacane
01-03-2023, 03:05 AM
If he didn't suffer brain damage he'll pull through. I wish they'd give an update.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 03:06 AM
Well the bills could 100% forfeit if they wanted too.. but I’m saying godell doesn’t have the power to make that descion for them

I agree. As much as he's disliked he'd be hated if he even floated the idea. The country is behind the Bills after this.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 03:08 AM
If he didn't suffer brain damage he'll pull through. I wish they'd give an update.

He got excellent care. Better care than just about any of us would have gotten were we to drop with such a condition.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 03:09 AM

He got excellent care. Better care than just about any of us would have gotten were we to drop with such a condition.

The fact that people seem to focus on their emotional response to seeing the reality of life sounds like the very core problem with a liberal society to me.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 03:12 AM

The fact that people seem to focus on their emotional response to seeing the reality of life sounds like the very core problem with a liberal society to me.
IT's called empathy for someone who could've possibly lost their life while entertaining us. Empathy for his teammates. I'm sure if your best friend, if you have any friends, was in critical condition, you would probably not really be productive at work the next day, or at least until you found out if he was going to be ok or not.

Jesus, only someone like you would bring politics into this discussion.

Woodman
01-03-2023, 03:13 AM
How does shutting down and not going on with life somehow help Damar Hamlin?

We have been doing this life and death thing for billions of years you know.

See my post 11 nowhere is there a suggestion to shut anything down.

Any suggestion of that is not understanding my point.

The game doesn't need to be played .... award both teams a win and take the what if game result off the table.

Turn 100% of the attention to the injured player and his family.

Play the Patriots week 18 or as soon as is possible.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 03:16 AM
IT's called empathy for someone who could've possibly lost their life while entertaining us. Empathy for his teammates. I'm sure if your best friend, if you have any friends, was in critical condition, you would probably not really be productive at work the next day, or at least until you found out if he was going to be ok or not.

Jesus, only someone like you would bring politics into this discussion.

I'm just saying he's got a much greater chance at a positive outcome due to the systems in place and the quick response. People were prepared. And it was something that happens in the normal course of life....so be grateful for the response not mortified.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 03:17 AM
Why can't it be both?

Obviously everyone wants a positive outcome for Damar.

But regardless of that, the world doesn't just shut down because of what happened to one person.

Finally OP says something I agree with!

Did you take a vitamin this morning or something?

Typ0
01-03-2023, 03:18 AM
See my post 11 nowhere is there a suggestion to shut anything down.

Any suggestion of that is not understanding my point.

The game doesn't need to be played .... award both teams a win and take the what if game result off the table.

Turn 100% of the attention to the injured player and his family.

Play the Patriots week 18 or as soon as is possible.

Ummmm.....not playing the game is shutting it down permanently.

That is shutting down in the face of adversity without actually giving time to process and putting yourself in a position to make good decisions.

Kinda sounds like OP ranting about the NFL not cancelling the game within 10 minutes of the incident.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 03:22 AM

Please do not speculate about medical conditions.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 03:24 AM
I guess it depends. If Hamlin ends up being ok, and will recover, then sure, it's easy to continue, but what if, God forbid, he passes away today, tomorrow, etc?

This is unprecedented territory for the NFL and the NFLPA. I just hope Damar somehow pulls through this

It would be extra horrible due to all the people watching it happen.

But circumstantially speaking people have medical incidents at work each and every day. It's traumatizing for those who know the person, but other than maybe getting a day off you don't get to quit working.

A life lost at State Farm or General Motors or IBM is not worth more or less than an NFL life.

Way more people are aware of/praying for Damar than any average Joe at an average job.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 03:25 AM
It would be extra horrible due to all the people watching it happen.

But circumstantially speaking people have medical incidents at work each and every day. It's traumatizing for those who know the person, but other than maybe getting a day off you don't get to quit working.

A life lost at State Farm or General Motors or IBM is not worth more or less than an NFL life.

Way more people are aware of/praying for Damar than any average Joe at an average job.

Not sure how it works in the US, but here, if someone loses their life on the job, the business doesn't just go back to work. It gets shut down, investigated, etc.

That's all I'm saying, it's not just as simple as saying "life goes on".

Novacane
01-03-2023, 03:26 AM
Ummmm.....not playing the game is shutting it down permanently.

That is shutting down in the face of adversity without actually giving time to process and putting yourself in a position to make good decisions.

Kinda sounds like OP ranting about the NFL not cancelling the game within 10 minutes of the incident.

No. It's making the decision of what causes the least disruption league wide. Awarding both teams a win makes a lot of sense. It would affect two teams and that's only hypothetical. It may change nothing. The only way to play the game is to move the entire playoffs back a week. That's a lot of disruption.

Woodman
01-03-2023, 03:27 AM

You didn't read post 11.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 03:29 AM
As for the game, I could care less about what they do. All that matters is Damar.

Give us a win, lose, draw, or whatever.

Never have I been more aware of these guys putting their lives on the line than last night as we learned they were administering CPR and using an AED machine to shock his heart. Never has it been clearer that we using people putting their lives on the line as a spectacle for our own entertainment.

There is a far larger conversation that needs to occur at multiple levels and most fans are going to hate it, but it's coming. I can't stomach the thought of what happened last night, happening again or the result being worse next time.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 03:29 AM
Not sure how it works in the US, but here, if someone loses their life on the job, the business doesn't just go back to work. It gets shut down, investigated, etc.

Investigated? Interesting!

Maybe this incident will be investigated.

And I will just gently suggest that yes indeed, the business DOES 'just go back to work.' Maybe not the same day, but certainly sooner than a week.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 03:51 AM

People die on the job all the time there are not investigations unless law enforcement/coroner throw flags for faulty behavior. Having a cardiac condition and dying happens to about 20% of the US population. It's not abnormal but abnormal to be seen live on TV.

- - - Updated - - -

Investigated? Interesting!

Maybe this incident will be investigated.

And I will just gently suggest that yes indeed, the business DOES 'just go back to work.' Maybe not the same day, but certainly sooner than a week.

It's way more likely the business would finish the day!

Novacane
01-03-2023, 03:54 AM
As for the game, I could care less about what they do. All that matters is Damar.

Give us a win, lose, draw, or whatever.

Never have I been more aware of these guys putting their lives on the line than last night as we learned they were administering CPR and using an AED machine to shock his heart. Never has it been clearer that we using people putting their lives on the line as a spectacle for our own entertainment.

There is a far larger conversation that needs to occur at multiple levels and most fans are going to hate it, but it's coming. I can't stomach the thought of what happened last night, happening again or the result being worse next time.

What's the larger conversation coming? Outlawing football? What other way could this have been prevented?

MidnightVoice
01-03-2023, 03:55 AM
Interesting article: How does the NFL handle a suspended game?

https://www.footballzebras.com/2023/01/how-does-the-nfl-handle-a-suspended-game/

According to Quirky Research, no NFL game has been suspended and resumed at a later date. (Preseason games have been terminated early or canceled outright, and regular season games through the years have been rescheduled prior to kickoff.)....

NFL policies do outline a few things the commissioner cannot do. He cannot unilaterally declare a forfeit, and he essentially lacks any authority to do so except in a very limited circumstance of a team refusing to take the field. This game in particular cannot be terminated early, because games may only be terminated if “it is reasonable to project that its resumption (a) would not change its ultimate result or (b) would not adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue.” The playoff seedings are definitely affected by the outcome of this game. Similarly, the commissioner cannot outright cancel the game — nullify everything from the game and have it uncontested — except as a last resort, which wouldn’t apply here. Some have also suggested that the game be declared a tie. There is no provision for the commissioner to do so, and the half-win in the standings also presents the “inter-team competitive issue” that the league would avoid.

Essentially all of the guidance forges a clear path to completing the game as soon as possible. The Bills buses departed Cincinnati early Tuesday morning local time, so a Tuesday night game would have been the least disruptive, but it is out of the question. The policy manuals state that “for regular-season postponements, the Commissioner will make every effort to set the game for no later than two days after its originally scheduled date and at the same site.” This provision was adhered to as close as possible during the 2020 and 2021 seasons due to coronavirus outbreaks, but there were several concessions that had to be made. Not a single game was lost in either season.

In the end, the game was suspended because the shock and the intense humanity of the situation was overwhelming. That was the right call to make for Monday night. But, despite Hamlin’s path to recovery, the reality is that the game has to be played no matter what. The Bengals fans are aware of this, as their team took the field two days after receiver Chris Henry died in 2009......

When the playoffs are scheduled, the league will not place a team in a game with less than 6 days’ rest. When introducing the Monday night wild card game in 2021, that meant that a team could not play that game and then be scheduled for a Saturday divisional playoff game. There could be some quick changes to the Ravens-Bengals and Patriots-Bills games to move them up to Friday, resuming the suspended game on Tuesday, and scheduling one or two wild card games (as needed, depending if the Bills clinch the #1 seed) on Monday.

Every option looks VERY messy

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 04:20 AM
What's the larger conversation coming? Outlawing football? What other way could this have been prevented?

Eventually football will change dramatically from the form you know it now. Tackles will be required to be more drag down and form based with mandatory wrapping up from a standing position. No longer will you be able to drive a player into the ground or try and lower your shoulder into them. Offensive players will be unable to initiate contact moving forward and will only be able to try and evade it. Any hit made to a player while in the air will be completely illegal.

It will be a form that many will call flag football, but the larger conversation is coming and it won't be pleasant for many. The conversation isn't about outlawing the specific plays that led to the Hamlin incident but rather to eliminate as much liability of anything like the outcome from ever occurring again as a result of game play.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 04:28 AM
Eventually football will change dramatically from the form you know it now. Tackles will be required to be more drag down and form based with mandatory wrapping up from a standing position. No longer will you be able to drive a player into the ground or try and lower your shoulder into them. Offensive players will be unable to initiate contact moving forward and will only be able to try and evade it. Any hit made to a player while in the air will be completely illegal.

It will be a form that many will call flag football, but the larger conversation is coming and it won't be pleasant for many. The conversation isn't about outlawing the specific plays that led to the Hamlin incident but rather to eliminate as much liability of anything like the outcome from ever occurring again as a result of game play.

B.S.

There was nothing unusual about this tackle.

But I agree with you about a larger conversation vis a vis player health needs to be had.

You're not gonna like it.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 04:31 AM
There is no liability when people agree to do things with risks for one thing ....

but a more important thing is how will the sport develop when it's too dangerous for young people to play? That is where the real threat to the NFL is -- player development needs a developmental arena.

I think the day will come that football is no longer played...but it's not about liability.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 04:32 AM
B.S.

But I agree with you about a larger conversation vis a vis player health needs to be had.

I didn't say there was anything unusual about the tackle.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 04:37 AM

Then why does the game need to change?

OpIv37
01-03-2023, 04:44 AM
B.S.

None of us are going to like it.

There's a reality that none of us want to face, but incidents like last night force us to. Players risk their health- possibly even their lives- to entertain us. Yes, they get compensated with a lot of money. But we are fans of a violent, dangerous game. It can be made safer, but only by doing things like what DB mentioned, which, of course, makes the game less exciting. And it will also introduce more penalties, and we all know that the officiating is already inconsistent.

OpIv37
01-03-2023, 04:46 AM

It's a strange game.

I re-watched the play multiple times and it looked completely normal until Hamlin collapsed.

Sometimes guys will get absolutely destroyed and both players pop up like nothing happened. Other times, serious injuries occur on plays that look very routine.

Night Train
01-03-2023, 04:52 AM
The NFL is walking on eggshells right now, terrified of making the wrong call. Bad PR is the last thing they need.

Waiting for updates on Hamlin and calm minds needed to think before speaking.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 05:02 AM
None of us are going to like it.

There's a reality that none of us want to face, but incidents like last night force us to. Players risk their health- possibly even their lives- to entertain us. Yes, they get compensated with a lot of money. But we are fans of a violent, dangerous game. It can be made safer, but only by doing things like what DB mentioned, which, of course, makes the game less exciting. And it will also introduce more penalties, and we all know that the officiating is already inconsistent.

There was nothing about THAT hit that should cause a rule change.

More people die skiing each year than die in the NFL.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 05:20 AM
Then why does the game need to change?

I already said why it will change and said it wasn't about the hit.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 05:21 AM
It's a strange game.

I re-watched the play multiple times and it looked completely normal until Hamlin collapsed.

Sometimes guys will get absolutely destroyed and both players pop up like nothing happened. Other times, serious injuries occur on plays that look very routine.

There was nothing wrong with the hit at all. My heart goes out to Higgins who I'm sure is beside himself for his involvement even though he did nothing wrong at all.

This conversation has been coming for a while and the people who want it have just been waiting for the opportunity.

swiper
01-03-2023, 05:32 AM
The NFL is walking on eggshells right now, terrified of making the wrong call. Bad PR is the last thing they need.

Waiting for updates on Hamlin and calm minds needed to think before speaking.

This was a tragic, unexpected accident. There doesn't have to be a villian here. People lashing out at Goodell, Suzi Kolber, whoever. It's asinine. People all did the best they could to do the right thing in a timely matter during a tragedy. If it didn't go exactly smoothly, that doesn't mean the people involved didn't try to do the right thing. Take a deep breath would you please. It's the same crap that happened when Covid19 hit. Everyone runs to TWITTER looking for answers and correct updates. Lazy, impatient, demanding American society.

BillsOwnAll
01-03-2023, 05:34 AM
There’s no way the game changes as dramatically as you said. The nfl is a business. This might come off as insensitive but it’s just how the world works.

The nfl will do what it does to make money. Making the game less entertaining isn’t a good business descion.

As sad as this is (most) people will get over this and forget it happen. Time will heal. How do you think people felt when theismans leg broke, or Alex smiths. Brutal injuries.

They won’t change the game, and people won’t stop watching. That’s just the truth.

Bills fans will never forget, but other fans willl.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 05:36 AM
There’s no way the game changes as dramatically as you said. The nfl is a business. This might come off as insensitive but it’s just how the world works.

The nfl will do what it does to make money. Making the game less entertaining isn’t a good business descion.

As sad as this is (most) people will get over this and forget it happen. Time will heal. How do you think people felt when theismans leg broke, or Alex smiths. Brutal injuries.

They won’t change the game, and people won’t stop watching. That’s just the truth.

Bills fans will never forget, but other fans willl.

Two things;
1. Those changes likely increase scoring and scoring is very entertaining.
2. None of those injuries led to CPR being administered on the field.

This is just different.

BillsOwnAll
01-03-2023, 05:43 AM
It is different I agree, but look at the world we live in, people can’t be bothered by something for longer than a couple weeks.

There will be new news stories and this will slowly take a backseat Untill it’s completely not talked about again. It’s just how the media slowly phases topics out. Once this story is not new, it’s not profitable. And once it’s not talked about on the news/espn people will forget about it.

I agree that probally won’t happen this season. But I gurantee in 2-3-4 seasons from now, this will barely be remembered by most. ( again not talking about bills fans)

OpIv37
01-03-2023, 05:55 AM
It is different I agree, but look at the world we live in, people can’t be bothered by something for longer than a couple weeks.

There will be new news stories and this will slowly take a backseat Untill it’s completely not talked about again. It’s just how the media slowly phases topics out. Once this story is not new, it’s not profitable. And once it’s not talked about on the news/espn people will forget about it.

I agree that probally won’t happen this season. But I gurantee in 2-3-4 seasons from now, this will barely be remembered by most. ( again not talking about bills fans)

Sadly you're probably right on this. Bills fans remember Kevin Everett and Aaron Williams, and Sabres fans remember Clint Malarchuk almost dying when a skate accidentally sliced his jugular, but how many people outside of Buffalo remember those things? How many horrific injuries have we forgotten about because they didn't involve a Buffalo team?

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 05:57 AM
Not to get too off topic here, but I agree with DB. There will be, eventually, drastic changes in how football is played. Not saying it will be flag football, but I could see it being some form of it. It's just too violent. Players are bigger, stronger and faster than ever. It's dangerous, and with concussions at an all time high, and all of the CTE research, there's no way the league can sustain continuing to get more violent each and every year.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 06:02 AM
Not to get too off topic here, but I agree with DB. There will be, eventually, drastic changes in how football is played. Not saying it will be flag football, but I could see it being some form of it. It's just too violent. Players are bigger, stronger and faster than ever. It's dangerous, and with concussions at an all time high, and all of the CTE research, there's no way the league can sustain continuing to get more violent each and every year.

You just can't do something that requires violent collisions and have any expectation of safety.

But does NASCAR, INDY or CART cancel when a driver dies in an accident?

But car speeds can be reduced so people can learn and develop .... asking high school kids to go at 1/3 the speed and effort is going to be nothing but a disaster. It is not practical and there is plenty of research indicating it will result in more injuries not less.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 06:12 AM
You just can't do something that requires violent collisions and have any expectation of safety.

But car speeds can be reduced so people can learn and develop .... asking high school kids to go at 1/3 the speed and effort is going to be nothing but a disaster. It is not practical and there is plenty of research indicating it will result in more injuries not less.
It's common sense.

The NFL, eventually will be played much different. Nobody said anything about expecting complete safety. But the game will be SAFER. The rules have already drastically changed over the past 5-10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the league bans all head/neck area hits on either side of the ball next. Blocking rules will change. Heck, the number of players on the field might change.

Comparing a contact sport to NASCAR is ridiculous.

Nobody steps onto an NFL field and thinks "Oh man, I could possibly die today".

Don't be absurd.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 06:22 AM
It's common sense.

The NFL, eventually will be played much different. Nobody said anything about expecting complete safety. But the game will be SAFER. The rules have already drastically changed over the past 5-10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the league bans all head/neck area hits on either side of the ball next. Blocking rules will change. Heck, the number of players on the field might change.

Don't be absurd.

Not really....they are both spectator sports with risks involved.

People don't wake up every day thinking that will be the day they die either...but you can be damn sure every person has a day that comes along they die.

You are being human -- but absurd.

Every snap I wonder if this will be the play an NFL player dies on. It is just a matter of time -- and it's been proven each snap contributes to a lot of player sickness but they still snap the ball don't they?

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 06:24 AM
Two things;
1. Those changes likely increase scoring and scoring is very entertaining.
2. None of those injuries led to CPR being administered on the field.

This is just different.

You have no idea why CPR was being administered on the field.

It could have been Congenital Whatever.

Forward_Lateral
01-03-2023, 06:28 AM

lol what.

CPR is administered for one reason, and one reason only. The person isn't breathing.

Woodman
01-03-2023, 06:29 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/03/nfl-announces-bills-bengals-wont-resume-this-week/

NFL announces Bills-Bengals won’t resume “this week”

Typ0
01-03-2023, 06:30 AM
lol what.

CPR is administered for one reason, and one reason only. The person isn't breathing.

It was implied there was some injury that caused the CPR when it's just as likely it was caused by any host of other reasons human beings experience all the time.

Discotrish
01-03-2023, 06:31 AM
It's common sense.

Don't be absurd.

Boxers don't think that either.

Of the most dangerous sports, football isn't even in the top 10.

Top 5 are bull riding, base jumping, horseback riding, rugby and GYMNASTICS.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/cPWjCu2Wyoxk4" width="480" height="336" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/cPWjCu2Wyoxk4">via GIPHY</a></p>

Woodman
01-03-2023, 06:31 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/03/nfl-announces-bills-bengals-wont-resume-this-week/

The NFL has said it will address the issue of the unfinished Bills-Bengals game at the appropriate time. The NFL has addressed the Bills-Bengals situation, partially.
“The NFL continues to be in regular contact with the medical team caring for Damar Hamlin (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/63950/damar-hamlin), and also the Bills and Bengals organizations and the NFL Players Association,” the NFL said in a statement. “After speaking with both teams and NFLPA leadership, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell informed the clubs today that the Bills-Bengals game will not be resumed this week.”

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-03-2023, 06:38 AM

A hypothesis of commotio cordis is the best starting point. That's an idea. Why would I have that?

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 06:58 AM

None of those sports are as popular or generate anywhere near the revenue of football.

Also there have been dramatic changes to all of those sports to reduce speeds and increase safety in the last couple of decades as well.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 06:59 AM

Please don't speculate on medical conditions you have no knowledge of. I don't know why I have to keep repeating that to some posters here.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 07:08 AM
It's a nice thought but you can't eliminate danger from life. You can't eliminate danger from football either.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2023, 07:34 AM
As long as it's tackle football with pads and helmets bad things could happen.

The game hasn't changed all that much in 100 years. There's not much that can be changed while the play is in action. Even hits they penalize for still happen and will continue to happen.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 08:56 AM
1. None of those sports are as popular or generate anywhere near the revenue of football.

2. Also there have been dramatic changes to all of those sports to reduce speeds and increase safety in the last couple of decades as well.

1. So the deaths aren't relevant because not as many people see them and the entities generate less $$$$?

2. Yes, due diligence to safety is what they can do. But that is what the NFL does and we are still talking about violent collisions being what the sport is about. I'm just saying developmentally the due diligence is bound to drastically change the sport in this case.

Mace
01-03-2023, 09:04 AM
Just my opinion. The NFL will do "something". They're going to do what they're going to do and I have no input. It will still remain valid if I do not like it. It hasn't happened yet.

Too much unknown about Hamlin. Assumption is the hit did it. Unproven atm. If so a blow to the chest outside football could cause it. Can happen to anyone anyway to cause an issue. No way to know until it's all investigated and declared.

You can have a cardiac issue playing flag football too, or fall down wrong. You can also do those things during your normal day.

We can argue about any and all of it, or we can wait until we have facts.

Unfortunately, injuries and death happen in other jobs too. In my life I have been around a number of them, and had to go back to work. It's an unhappy part of life. No way around it, no avoiding it.

Thoughts and prayers for Damar Hamlin. The young man is not done yet. Nothing to do but wait. That happens in life too. It's frustrating. You feel a need to act on something, anything, and can't. But no way around it, no avoiding it. We wait, to see.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 09:12 AM
Just my opinion. The NFL will do "something". They're going to do what they're going to do and I have no input. It will still remain valid if I do not like it. It hasn't happened yet.

Too much unknown about Hamlin. Assumption is the hit did it. Unproven atm. If so a blow to the chest outside football could cause it. Can happen to anyone anyway to cause an issue. No way to know until it's all investigated and declared.

You can have a cardiac issue playing flag football too, or fall down wrong. You can also do those things during your normal day.

We can argue about any and all of it, or we can wait until we have facts.

Unfortunately, injuries and death happen in other jobs too. In my life I have been around a number of them, and had to go back to work. It's an unhappy part of life. No way around it, no avoiding it.

Thoughts and prayers for Damar Hamlin. The young man is not done yet. Nothing to do but wait. That happens in life too. It's frustrating. You feel a need to act on something, anything, and can't. But no way around it, no avoiding it. We wait, to see.

This is all correct except the NFL is not just going to do what they are going to do. There are a lot of stakeholders. The NFL, NFLPA, everyone with any financial relationship with the NFL. I'm just suggesting the acceptable risk has already been negotiated and taken care of and the NFL did not act unilaterally in that respect nor will they do so in the future.

Thurmal
01-03-2023, 09:12 AM
Please don't speculate on medical conditions you have no knowledge of. I don't know why I have to keep repeating that to some posters here.
You have to keep repeating it because you're a pretentious person who has a difficult time differentiating between your own personal opinion and actual facts.

You're speculating just as much as she is, but somehow have convinced yourself that your speculations are gospel.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-03-2023, 09:14 AM
Yeah, gospel

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 10:28 AM
1. So the deaths aren't relevant because not as many people see them and the entities generate less $$$$?

2. Yes, due diligence to safety is what they can do. But that is what the NFL does and we are still talking about violent collisions being what the sport is about. I'm just saying developmentally the due diligence is bound to drastically change the sport in this case.

1. Aren’t as relevant? No, but don’t get anywhere near the same scrutiny or attention.

2. And you will continue to see more and more changes to the game to increase safety just as the other sports have and will continue to do.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is saying or even suggesting you can remove all danger from the game. But there are will far more changes to the game than most will like in order to make it safer.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 10:30 AM
You have to keep repeating it because you're a pretentious person who has a difficult time differentiating between your own personal opinion and actual facts.

You're speculating just as much as she is, but somehow have convinced yourself that your speculations are gospel.

Yeah, no.

There is zero evidence of any pre-existing condition and it’s not only a completely irresponsible thing to suggest and assume it’s also a ****ty thing to do.

As for the pretentiousness, I’m fine with that label.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 10:31 AM
Yeah, gospel

I mean I was named after a book of the gospel. So maybe that’s what he/she meant?

Mace
01-03-2023, 10:39 AM
This is all correct except the NFL is not just going to do what they are going to do. There are a lot of stakeholders. The NFL, NFLPA, everyone with any financial relationship with the NFL. I'm just suggesting the acceptable risk has already been negotiated and taken care of and the NFL did not act unilaterally in that respect nor will they do so in the future.

It's absolutely correct. No matter how many stakeholders, they will come to a decision, it will be so, and that will be that, whether or not anyone likes it. I cannot speculate what that decision will be, but it will be a decision, a finality, and it will be concluded as they choose.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 10:40 AM
Yeah, no.

There is zero evidence of any pre-existing condition and it’s not only a completely irresponsible thing to suggest and assume it’s also a ****ty thing to do.

Disagree. Saying there is no pre-existing condition or there is a pre-existing condition are equal assumptions and both void of evidence.

Actually, the evidence is right in front of you it just hasn't all been investigated and interpreted yet.

You are being judgmental calling either position valid and the other invalid. It's very reasonable to think there a possibility there was a pre-existing condition no one knew about. It is unreasonable to completely void the possibility.

Typ0
01-03-2023, 10:41 AM
It's absolutely correct. No matter how many stakeholders, they will come to a decision, it will be so, and that will be that, whether or not anyone likes it. I cannot speculate what that decision will be, but it will be a decision, a finality, and it will be concluded as they choose.

But they won't come to a decision alone ...

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 10:42 AM
Disagree. Saying there is no pre-existing condition or there is a pre-existing condition are equal assumptions and both void of evidence.

Actually, the evidence is right in front of you it just hasn't all been investigated and interpreted yet.

You are being judgmental calling either position valid and the other invalid. It's very reasonable to think there a possibility there was a pre-existing condition no one knew about. It is unreasonable to completely void the possibility.

Cool story. Lets just leave it at not speculating while the players health is on the line, can we at least agree there?

Typ0
01-03-2023, 10:49 AM
Cool story. Lets just leave it at not speculating while the players health is on the line, can we at least agree there?

I totally will agree let's be careful and not put fourth bad information but we are engaged in discussion here.

Just leaving everyone's assumption Hamlin's condition is directly due to something that happened in the game then stopping anyone from suggesting perhaps there was a pre-existing condition is exactly that. Bias opinions and bad information. We are all in a don't know state and hope the best for this young man which is a completely different discussion than football and the Bills.

Thurmal
01-03-2023, 11:06 AM
Yeah, no.

There is zero evidence that there isn't a preexisting condition. It's a definite possibility, particularly when world-class athletes collapse due to cardiovascular issues. Ever hear of Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis, etc.?

I know that your whole shtick is to be a condescending know-it-all, but you're in no position of authority to tell people what they can and can't discuss on a medium designed for informal conversation.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2023, 11:12 AM
If they don't play this game at all and the Bills are forced to go into Arrowhead to play a road playoff game because of it, people around here and the fanbase in general will be po'd

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 11:18 AM
There is zero evidence that there isn't a preexisting condition. It's a definite possibility, particularly when world-class athletes collapse due to cardiovascular issues. Ever hear of Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis, etc.?

I know that your whole shtick is to be a condescending know-it-all, but you're in no position of authority to tell people what they can and can't discuss on a medium designed for informal conversation.

Oh it’s not a shtick, but I appreciate you thinking I could be that clever. That would just take way too much effort and far more time than I’m willing to invest. I mean the character development alone would take months and I’m not creative in an artistic way to care much about seeing it through.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 11:18 AM
If they don't play this game at all and the Bills are forced to go into Arrowhead to play a road playoff game because of it, people around here and the fanbase in general will be po'd

They’ll get over it.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2023, 11:21 AM
They’ll get over it.

The Bills win in Arrowhead yeah, they lose? Don't think so.

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 11:27 AM
The Bills win in Arrowhead yeah, they lose? Don't think so.

Then they can get over themselves.

Mace
01-03-2023, 11:51 AM
But they won't come to a decision alone ...
Yeah, but see "they" can't come to a decision "alone".

It's always going to be collective, and they will have a final decision.

Skooby
01-03-2023, 12:14 PM
I recognized 3 dirty Bengals plays including additional tumbling that was unnecessary, it’s disgusting & should be examined for intent. Tee looks to have lept towards the tackler Hamlin, that’s not part of my original 3 as well.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 12:27 PM

Some may. I won't. Sometimes life gives you lemons. Crying about it changes nothing.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 12:28 PM
I recognized 3 dirty Bengals plays including additional tumbling that was unnecessary, it’s disgusting & should be examined for intent. Tee looks to have lept towards the tackler Hamlin, that’s not part of my original 3 as well.

You're drunk again aren't you. Get out of here with your blaming Higgins.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-03-2023, 04:17 PM

Yeah, your schtick

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-03-2023, 04:19 PM
If Damar heals enough to utter "play ball," this Bills team will be a menace.

CommissarSpartacus
01-03-2023, 05:07 PM
Give both a win.

Totally agree.

Both teams have clinched their divisions. This was only a seedings and home field advantage game.

Make the whole league take the burden.

CommissarSpartacus
01-03-2023, 05:09 PM
If Damar heals enough to utter "play ball," this Bills team will be a menace.

Even if he doesn't it's gonna inevitably be a motivational tool.

CommissarSpartacus
01-04-2023, 12:21 AM
A little history...

"Win one for the Gipper..."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7rmpjBSR8

https://125.nd.edu/moments/this-day-in-history-win-one-for-the-gipper/

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: WIN ONE FOR THE GIPPER

The 1928 Notre Dame football season was not one of most successful of Knute Rockne’s tenure as head coach. In fact, it was actually the worst, as Rockne’s team finished just 5-4. The Irish’s game on Nov. 10, 1928, however, lives on in college football lore. At halftime of the contest between Notre Dame and Army at Yankee Stadium, Rockne told his players the story of the tragic death of George Gipp, the star halfback who passed away in 1920. As the legend goes, Gipp was in his hospital bed, when he asked Rockne to have the team “Win just one for the Gipper” some day. Rockne used the story to rally the underdog Irish to a 12-6 victory against the Black Knights. In this ‘Strong and True’ moment, relive the game through images from the University of Notre Dame Archives.

...more...

swiper
01-04-2023, 08:11 AM

The only thing implicit in someone receiving CPR is that their heart stopped. As to the reason it stopped, no one knows. Congenital, drugs, impact, or something else. Could be a lot of things. A lot of internet doctors have emerged on the internet all the sudden.

swiper
01-04-2023, 08:13 AM
Some may. I won't. Sometimes life gives you lemons. Crying about it changes nothing.

Whatever. Goodell gets paid a lot of money. Too much. Let him earn his paycheck for a change and figure this thing out. I don't want to think about it. My expectations are low however.

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 08:23 AM
A little history...

"Win one for the Gipper..."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7rmpjBSR8

https://125.nd.edu/moments/this-day-in-history-win-one-for-the-gipper/

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: WIN ONE FOR THE GIPPER

The 1928 Notre Dame football season was not one of most successful of Knute Rockne’s tenure as head coach. In fact, it was actually the worst, as Rockne’s team finished just 5-4. The Irish’s game on Nov. 10, 1928, however, lives on in college football lore. At halftime of the contest between Notre Dame and Army at Yankee Stadium, Rockne told his players the story of the tragic death of George Gipp, the star halfback who passed away in 1920. As the legend goes, Gipp was in his hospital bed, when he asked Rockne to have the team “Win just one for the Gipper” some day. Rockne used the story to rally the underdog Irish to a 12-6 victory against the Black Knights. In this ‘Strong and True’ moment, relive the game through images from the University of Notre Dame Archives.

...more...

The best thing about that story is that Rockne made the whole thing up to motivate the team. George Gipp never said any of that.

Thurmal
01-04-2023, 08:34 AM
Totally agree.

Both teams have clinched their divisions. This was only a seedings and home field advantage game.

Make the whole league take the burden.

Cincinnati hadn't clinched their division, and I don't think it's fair for them to get that on a platter, or for Buffalo to be possibly gifted homefield either.

If we ever do win a Super Bowl, it would be nice if it didn't have a gigantic asterisk next to it.

Discotrish
01-04-2023, 08:39 AM
A hypothesis of commotio cordis is the best starting point. That's an idea. Why would I have that?

Everything about this situation is speculation from the hit causing it to (medical conditions we have no knowledge of) to the many things being said in the news media. BTW -- how is it okay for those speculations to go on in official news media channels and not in casual message board conversation?

The whole point is we don't know what's going on, how it came about or what will happen as a result of the incident. And we're "talking about it" along with speculation as to what *might* be the case. What exactly is the issue here?