PDA

View Full Version : Hamlin oxygen improvement

BuffaloBlitz83
01-03-2023, 11:40 AM
About hours ago.

https://twitter.com/4JoshReed/status/1610422377652838401?s=20&t=1Wtp41wybBYFFMcO-R5DsA

DraftBoy
01-03-2023, 11:45 AM
Thank god for good news.

Novacane
01-03-2023, 11:45 AM
Good news! Been praying for him often today.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-03-2023, 11:57 AM
Thank god for good news.

I think source is credible it looks like he works in sports media

ParanoidAndroid
01-03-2023, 12:09 PM
FiO2 was 100%? Good lord.

This is still 7 to 10L/min of O2 being delivered. That's a lot. This is a human still hanging by a thread.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-03-2023, 12:12 PM

This is still 7 to 10L/min of O2 being delivered. That's a lot. This is a human still hanging by a thread.

Turned the positive into negative

BuffaloBlitz83
01-03-2023, 12:16 PM
Interview with the uncle.

https://twitter.com/thadbrown7/status/1610438913738391552?s=46&t=YCF7VN78Q1RRU8GSNEIluw

Typ0
01-03-2023, 12:24 PM

A lot of people get charged with managing people's false hopes and unreasonable expectations.

ParanoidAndroid
01-03-2023, 12:40 PM
We're all hoping.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-03-2023, 03:43 PM

Doesn't CPR (and twice in Hamlin's case) cause lung injury in some cases? I wouldn't be surprised as I've heard he was resuscitated twice ...

swiper
01-04-2023, 05:19 AM
About hours ago.

https://twitter.com/4JoshReed/status/1610422377652838401?s=20&t=1Wtp41wybBYFFMcO-R5DsA

This is normal across the course of this treatment. It doesn't signify anything, necessarily, significant. They will continue to wean him back to room air oxygen over the course of 2 or 3 days. Or attempt to. If he had pulmonary edema, as I am reading, that is merely pulmonary congestion from the interruption of blood flow (when the heart stops) and will clear after blood flow is re-established. The ICU has methods of moving this along. All kind of expected things at this point.

swiper
01-04-2023, 05:21 AM
Doesn't CPR (and twice in Hamlin's case) cause lung injury in some cases? I wouldn't be surprised as I've heard he was resuscitated twice ...

Sometimes. It was reported that he had some pulmonary edema, which was most likely from the inciting event, but the CPR could, potentially, contribute to it. In any case the lung "injury" was secondary and is responding to treatment as you'd expect in a healthy 24 year old.

swiper
01-04-2023, 05:28 AM

It's not. It's standard operating procedure for someone that's arrested. The O2 is weaned down as able. It's merely part of standard ICU protocol. It's maddening watching every internet fan comment on every little bit of information that leaks out of this guy's care. Know he is getting excellent care and you're going to have to wait a couple of days to actually hear how he's recovering. Just because you have Twitter, doesn't entitle you to minute by minute updates on this sick man. Give it a rest. Give him and his doctors some space. Stop with the need to comment on every little bit of stuff you read on Twitter. Stop with the feeling of "I need to report this first on the Zone."

Ingtar33
01-04-2023, 05:39 AM

Even 2 minutes of cpr has a good chance to break some of your ribs, and when heart fails, your lungs can and usually fill with fluids

9 minutes of cpr, means he was effectively dead for 9 minutes. its not surprising he was intibated and has been on O2 for so long. and yes, they bring him down on O2 concentration as the lungs clear the fluid.

Sometimes. It was reported that he had some pulmonary edema, which was most likely from the inciting event, but the CPR could, potentially, contribute to it. In any case the lung "injury" was secondary and is responding to treatment as you'd expect in a healthy 24 year old.

sorry, swiper already posted basically what i just did, only in medical language.

DraftBoy
01-04-2023, 07:54 AM
I heard this morning that his uncle also said that his heart needed to be restarted again at the hospital. Did anybody else hear that?

northernbillfan
01-04-2023, 09:12 AM
Yes. He mentioned it on Total Access last night

Woodman
01-04-2023, 09:16 AM
I heard this morning that his uncle also said that his heart needed to be restarted again at the hospital. Did anybody else hear that?

Yes I heard the same.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-04-2023, 09:24 AM
I heard this and need to report this on the Zone:

It's not. It's standard operating procedure for someone that's arrested. The O2 is weaned down as able. It's merely part of standard ICU protocol. It's maddening watching every internet fan comment on every little bit of information that leaks out of this guy's care. Know he is getting excellent care and you're going to have to wait a couple of days to actually hear how he's recovering. Just because you have Twitter, doesn't entitle you to minute by minute updates on this sick man. Give it a rest. Give him and his doctors some space. Stop with the need to comment on every little bit of stuff you read on Twitter. Stop with the feeling of "I need to report this first on the Zone."

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 10:23 AM

I love the fact that I live in the modern era, and I love tech and automation. But, there are drawbacks. One of them is that every time something happens/changes, people expect a screen to light up and inform them. Another is that everyone who can use Google thinks they're an expert in everything. So, when you get a situation like this where it's a process that takes time, people get impatient and people with no medical expertise start speculating to fill the perceived void. And other people spread that information without realizing that the people that posted it first don't have any expertise or info about the specific situation.

Discotrish
01-04-2023, 10:25 AM

Appreciate the medical speculation!

BuffaloBlitz83
01-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Appreciate the medical speculation!

He's trying to be positive. Sheesh

Discotrish
01-04-2023, 10:42 AM
He's trying to be positive. Sheesh

Please don't speculate on medical conditions you have no knowledge of. I don't know why I have to keep repeating that to some posters here.

Maybe he meant to say I'm the only one who shouldn't be speculating on medical conditions.

Although I fail to see why, since the entire mainstream news media and internet is doing it.

ParanoidAndroid
01-04-2023, 11:10 AM
This is incorrect.

Not everyone who goes into cardiac arrest is automatically intubated with 100%FiO2 for an extended period.

The goal is to maintain SPO2 at about 95% while titrating O2 delivery.

And almost 36 hours after injury, he is still at 50% which is significant.

That's all I said.

I never said it was out of the realm of any expectation.

I'm standing here talking to a respiratory therapist as I type this. At work.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-04-2023, 12:29 PM
Get back to work

ParanoidAndroid
01-05-2023, 12:53 PM
We were waiting for our patient to finish taking a dump. lol

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-05-2023, 05:26 PM
We were waiting for our patient to finish taking a dump. lol

You guys are the sick ones then