• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Goodell needs to go

His handling of the game on Monday night is yet another example of how he only cares about money and profits for the owners.

McDermott and Taylor along with players reps from the NFLPA that halted the game. The players collectively said NO!

We are all hurting and some of us are angry yet something needs to be done about this POS commish. When the words on filed CPR were uttered by Joe Buck, this changed the whole situation yet Goodell didn't act at all. When the tears were streaming downs distraught players faces, Goodell was quiet. Yet he said "I made the decision to call the game" even though the players and coaches told him they would not go back on the field.

The entire sports world has shown support for our fallen brother. Yet he has made no official statement other than to talk about the game situation.

This is not misguided anger. This is a fact based rant posted after reading several news articles from many different sources. I'm pissed at him and you should be too.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• Joe Fo Sho
    Making Spirits Bright
    • Mar 2006

Re: Goodell needs to go

It was obvious that the game was going to be postponed 20 minutes before the public announcement was made.

What did Goodell do wrong and how do you know that's how he acted?

Goodell has performed way worse in the past than what's transpired over the last couple days, I don't have any issue with how the NFL acted on this.

Comment

• Discotrish
      Raging hypocrite and resident troll
      • Nov 2003

Far from criticizing their poor handling of things, I would go so far as to applaud them for the great job they did!

It's a huge job communicating with everyone involved in an event that big plus all the nuances that need to be discussed before you even make those calls. In light of that I think they did a great job of getting it done quickly.

Also I like that they didn't feel the need to announce how the future playing of the game (when/if) would be dealt with because that requires even more discussion and analysis.

And I don't particularly like Goodell, but I think the NFL brass did a great job here.
      Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

He's a press secretary for the owners... who just happens to make 48 Mil a year.

With all the $$ involved, the players safety and the state of mind of both rosters was secondary. Yes, that doesn't make it right.

Yet it has happened before in Sports. Lions player Chuck Hughes dies on the field in 1971. A local Canisus basketball player dropped over dead in a game in 1986. Hank Gathers of Loyola Marymount died on the court in the 1990's. Regiie Lewis of the Celtics collapses and dies. Baseball players have been beaned and died.

All the games continued but I do get this game being stopped by the players. Things can change.

Nothing is etched in stone.... until you're in the ground.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Don't get where you are coming from really. Goddell is in a role and just performing his role. His job is to look out for the NFL -- whatever that means or might entail. He waited and reached out to gather information about what to do ... then he did it. What do people expect from him?

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
            It was obvious that the game was going to be postponed 20 minutes before the public announcement was made.

What did Goodell do wrong and how do you know that's how he acted?

Goodell has performed way worse in the past than what's transpired over the last couple days, I don't have any issue with how the NFL acted on this.
            It's being reported that Goodell wanted the game to continue and the only reason it got suspended was because the the players and the NFLPA refused to go back out. So assuming that's true....

I guess it depends on what the nature of Goodell's job is. If you think his job is mainly to protect the investments and interests of the owners, then continuing the game was the right call. Clearly, we have a **** show in terms of the standings and playoff seeding since the game wasn't played, and everything would be much simpler and clearer if we had a result on Monday night.

If you think his job involves actually giving a **** about a player who almost died and the other players who saw their friend and teammate almost die just minutes ago, then he needs to go.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Discotrish
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              It's being reported that Goodell wanted the game to continue and the only reason it got suspended was because the the players and the NFLPA refused to go back out. So assuming that's true....

I guess it depends on what the nature of Goodell's job is. If you think his job is mainly to protect the investments and interests of the owners, then continuing the game was the right call. Clearly, we have a **** show in terms of the standings and playoff seeding since the game wasn't played, and everything would be much simpler and clearer if we had a result on Monday night.

If you think his job involves actually giving a **** about a player who almost died and the other players who saw their friend and teammate almost die just minutes ago, then he needs to go.
              Now we get to have your same whining thread with a different title now!

Your speculation is just that.

How much sooner did you want it canceled than when they did? Or is your complaint strictly about what was going through his mind and not *caring* as much as you do?

via GIPHY

Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

Fire Goodell. Replace him with someone new who's controlled by the owners. What has changed other than making the Goodell haters feel good. Jerry Jones is one owner who wants him replaced. Do you want that ahole having his yes man running the league?

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Discotrish View Post
                  Now we get to have your same whining thread with a different title now!

Your speculation is just that.

How much sooner did you want it canceled than when they did? Or is your complaint strictly about what was going through his mind and not *caring* as much as you do?

via GIPHY

This isn't about timing. Goodell wanted to keep playing, period.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                    Fire Goodell. Replace him with someone new who's controlled by the owners. What has changed other than making the Goodell haters feel good. Jerry Jones is one owner who wants him replaced. Do you want that ahole having his yes man running the league?
                    Well, I can only speak for myself, but:

If I almost died at work, or witnessed one of my co-workers almost die, and the guy in charge was so hell-bent on not messing up his plans that he wanted us to get back to work immediately, I certainly wouldn't want to work under him anymore.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Discotrish
                      • Nov 2003

This isn't about timing. Goodell wanted to keep playing, period.

Okay so he's a horrible person like Pete Rozelle, who didn't cancel the Lions game back in 1971.

Btw if they had kept playing it would've solved a lot of problems the league now faces in terms of the playoffs. I don't blame him for "wanting to keep playing." I give him credit for canceling the game when it became obvious the players were too distraught.

It's the commissioners job to take all the factors into consideration, not just one. That's why they call it an "executive decision."

Comment

• sahlensguy
                        • Mar 2015

He doesn't work for you.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

The commissioner works for the owners. Of this we do not need to argue. Whoever is the commissioner is going to be all about their welfare. I'm no fan of Goodell. Almost anyone could be in that chair and the game would be flourishing. He's made mistake after mistake on player/team discipline. If he was ousted no one would be sad, except the owners which is why he isn't.

But your argument, and now a new thread on the same argument, lacks anything other than an emotional reaction to something you think you know but can offer no proof and it's actually about what did not happen (the game going on) vs what did happen (the game was cancelled). But even if it is true that Goodell wanted to play on I am dubious a new commissioner would not be looking out for the owners bottom line and would have tried the same thing. Because it's the owners than sign the commissioner's 30+m check.

But in the end it's all moot. Goodell is going nowhere. Of all the things to be obsessed about right now this is a strange one IMO.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Discotrish View Post
                            Okay so he's a horrible person like Pete Rozelle, who didn't cancel the Lions game back in 1971.

Btw if they had kept playing it would've solved a lot of problems the league now faces in terms of the playoffs. I don't blame him for "wanting to keep playing." I give him credit for canceling the game when it became obvious the players were too distraught.

It's the commissioners job to take all the factors into consideration, not just one. That's why they call it an "executive decision."
                            He didn't cancel the game because the players were too distraught. He only cancelled the game because the players refused to play.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                              The commissioner works for the owners. Of this we do not need to argue. Whoever is the commissioner is going to be all about their welfare. I'm no fan of Goodell. Almost anyone could be in that chair and the game would be flourishing. He's made mistake after mistake on player/team discipline. If he was ousted no one would be sad, except the owners which is why he isn't.

But your argument, and now a new thread on the same argument, lacks anything other than an emotional reaction to something you think you know but can offer no proof and it's actually about what did not happen (the game going on) vs what did happen (the game was cancelled). But even if it is true that Goodell wanted to play on I am dubious a new commissioner would not be looking out for the owners bottom line and would have tried the same thing. Because it's the owners than sign the commissioner's 30+m check.

But in the end it's all moot. Goodell is going nowhere. Of all the things to be obsessed about right now this is a strange one IMO.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X