PDA

View Full Version : He's Awake!

BuffaloBlitz83
01-05-2023, 09:33 AM
Breaking: Damar Hamlin is awake and showing signs of improvement, per #Bills CB Kaiir Elam

10:27 AM · Jan 5, 2023

Novacane
01-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Awesome!

swiper
01-05-2023, 09:37 AM
So happy!

- - - Updated - - -

He's awake and neurologically intact. Great, great news.

kgun12
01-05-2023, 09:51 AM
I’m amazed at the statement the Bills put out saying he’s “neurologically intact”. Every CPR/First Aid and advanced training I’ve had, we were always told after 4-6 minutes of CPR, there is some Brian damage and after 10 minutes they will never have normal Brian function. To say he’s neurologically intact is nothing short of AMAZING!!!

Canadian'eh!
01-05-2023, 10:08 AM
I’m amazed at the statement the Bills put out saying he’s “neurologically intact”. Every CPR/First Aid and advanced training I’ve had, we were always told after 4-6 minutes of CPR, there is some Brian damage and after 10 minutes they will never have normal Brian function. To say he’s neurologically intact is nothing short of AMAZING!!!

That is not true, in my experience. Especially with high quality, immediate CPR

Saratoga Slim
01-05-2023, 10:18 AM
It may take a while to fully assess if there was any neurological damage. But I'll take the Bills' statement at face value--I'm sure they had medical/legal input on their choice of phrasing. I take it to mean that he is communicating well and appears to be himself.

Truly miraculous news.

Woodman
01-05-2023, 10:20 AM
Best News!

Bless Damar and his family!!

Typ0
01-05-2023, 10:22 AM

They had O2 to give him on the field. Big deal! Great news!

Turf
01-05-2023, 10:29 AM
WHAT A RELIEF! THANK GOD!!!

Discotrish
01-05-2023, 10:41 AM
Finally some good news!

Gibby 2.0
01-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Praise God, okay men win the whole damn thing. Do it for Damar

Ed
01-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Awesome news! Must feel great for his family. I was hoping the players would get some encouraging news to lift their spirits before having to head into another game.

Lexwhat
01-05-2023, 10:53 AM

Correct - In cardiac arrest, as long as the CPR is high quality, there (usually) continues to be blood circulation. The scenario kgun referred to is how long a patient has been in arrest without effective CPR. The issue is, though, that "high quality" CPR is often lacking. Moreover, defibrillation should be instituted as soon as possible for shockable rhythms.

There are many other patient exceptions as well. Cardiac tamponade is one of them, where even good quality chest compressions will not lead to effective blood circulation.

Woodman
01-05-2023, 10:55 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/05/bills-damar-hamlin-has-made-remarkable-improvement/

Bills: Damar Hamlin has made “remarkable improvement” in past 24 hours

“Per the physicians caring for Damar Hamlin at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Damar has shown remarkable improvement over the past 24 hours,” the statement said. “While still critically ill, he has demonstrated that he appears to be neurologically intact. His lungs continue to heal and he is making steady progress. We are grateful for the love and support we have received.”

Hamlin’s agents also released a statement calling his improvement “substantial” and offering further thanks to medical personnel for their work and to those who have offered support to Hamlin over the last few days.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
01-05-2023, 10:59 AM

kgun12
01-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Correct - In cardiac arrest, as long as the CPR is high quality, there (usually) continues to be blood circulation. The scenario kgun referred to is how long a patient has been in arrest without effective CPR. The issue is, though, that "high quality" CPR is often lacking. Moreover, defibrillation should be instituted as soon as possible for shockable rhythms.

There are many other patient exceptions as well. Cardiac tamponade is one of them, where even good quality chest compressions will not lead to effective blood circulation.

I was going by normal CPR and not having oxygen right there. I was told the with normal CPR the brain looses about 5% of the oxygen needed and that the longer COR goes the worse it can be. You guys are correct, I didn’t think about the oxygen factor!

sahlensguy
01-05-2023, 11:06 AM
Great news!

Lexwhat
01-05-2023, 11:07 AM
I was going by normal CPR and not having oxygen right there. I was told the with normal CPR the brain looses about 5% of the oxygen needed and that the longer COR goes the worse it can be. You guys are correct, I didn’t think about the oxygen factor!
There are so many factors at play (usually because there are many causes of cardiac arrest) that it's hard to provide clear statistics. I have had patients who had CPR for 30 minutes, and they eventually walk out of the hospital. Other times, the underlying cause of cardiac arrest isn't treated early enough (pulmonary embolism, pneumothorax, cardiac tamponade, etc), and the patient dies. But, the learning point is chest compressions should be done immediately while trying to figure the rest out.

ParanoidAndroid
01-05-2023, 11:45 AM
I'm in tears with relief.

Bill Cody
01-05-2023, 11:53 AM
Awesome news!

swiper
01-05-2023, 12:48 PM

It's pretty close to right. Ten minutes of no blood flow to the brain has been shown to cause anoxic brain damage in studies. One of the reasons they cooled him down. The cool down techniques have proven better outcomes.

Certainly anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes (https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+much+time+until+anoxic+brain+damage&form=CHRDEF&sp=-1&pq=how+much+time+until+anoxic+brain+damage&sc=10-39&qs=n&sk=&cvid=BAACB11604204D1382EC56F15E6C21D1&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=) can cause permanent damage. Varies with circumstances. I have quite a bit of direct experience giving CPR on arrested patients in an Emergency Department setting. I have called off several codes, unfortunately, in my life. If a person is going to respond to CPR, they typically do so fairly quickly.

Woodman
01-05-2023, 01:14 PM
What should happen next?

We do have some informed about such things around here and that's great.

YardRat
01-05-2023, 07:30 PM
Clint Malarchuk.
Kevin Everett.
Damar Hamlin.

Buffalo athletes (and fans) have been fortunate to have top shelf medical professionals on the sidelines over the years. Anything less and life could be very different, especially for these three.

Woodman
01-05-2023, 07:50 PM
Clint Malarchuk.
Kevin Everett.
Damar Hamlin.

Buffalo athletes (and fans) have been fortunate to have top shelf medical professionals on the sidelines over the years. Anything less and life could be very different, especially for these three.

Mentioned all 3 tonight to my daughters and family.

kgun12
01-06-2023, 07:42 AM
Clint Malarchuk.
Kevin Everett.
Damar Hamlin.

I talked about this in the Adversity thread. We’ve been through some pretty crazy ***** with our teams!

kgun12
01-06-2023, 09:15 AM
ESPN just broke the news that Damar got the breathing tube removed and is speaking!!!

Woodman
01-06-2023, 09:17 AM
ESPN just broke the news that Damar got the breathing tube removed and is speaking!!!

Great news!

Novacane
01-06-2023, 10:15 AM
That's a miracle!

kgun12
01-06-2023, 11:05 AM
He did a FaceTime with the Bills. McD told them team he had a treat for them in their team meeting. Damar was put on the screen and he told the team “Love ya Boys” and he put his arms over his head and flexed!

Novacane
01-06-2023, 12:27 PM
He did a FaceTime with the Bills. McD told them team he had a treat for them in their team meeting. Damar was put on the screen and he told the team “Love ya Boys” and he put his arms over his head and flexed!

I hope they share that!

Bill Cody
01-06-2023, 12:43 PM

that has to do more for the Bills than any game plan or practice might do. Just fantastic!

Woodman
01-06-2023, 01:04 PM
that has to do more for the Bills than any game plan or practice might do. Just fantastic!

Pumped as they say!

kgun12
01-06-2023, 01:24 PM
The NFL Announced Damar Hamlin Game Day Week 18 Recognition Day

- Pregame public address announcement
- Players can wear “Love for Damar 3” shirts during warmups
- Teams can outline the 3 on each 30 yard line in Bills colors
- 3 jersey patches will be worn by the Bills

Woodman
01-06-2023, 03:43 PM
The NFL Announced Damar Hamlin Game Day Week 18 Recognition Day

- Pregame public address announcement