NFL cancels Bills-Bengals game, plans vote Friday to implement two major modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MidnightVoice
    Retired (mostly)
    • Mar 2003

NFL cancels Bills-Bengals game, plans vote Friday to implement two major modification

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...-afc-playoffs/

Under the proposal that will be voted on by owners, the AFC Championship could potentially become a neutral-site game if any of the three following scenarios are met:

Scenario 1: If Buffalo and Kansas City both win or both tie in Week 18, then a Buffalo vs. Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.
    Scenario 2: If the Bills and Chiefs both lose in Week 18 and Baltimore wins or ties with the Bengals, then a Buffalo vs. Kansas City championship game would be at a neutral site.
    Scenario 3: If Buffalo and Kansas City both lose and Cincinnati beats Baltimore, then a Bills or Bengals vs. Chiefs championship game would be at a neutral site.
    The NFL is also giving the Ravens a chance to possibly host a wild-card game even though Baltimore can't mathematically win the AFC North. Even if the Ravens win on Sunday against the Bengals, that would put them at 11-6, which would still be a half game behind the Cincinnati, who would finish 11-5 with a loss.

So if ther Bills win and KC and the Bengals lose.......

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: NFL cancels Bills-Bengals game, plans vote Friday to implement two major modifica

Bottom line we need to win Sunday.

It ensures playoffs in Buffalo and at worst a 2 seed.

It also ensures if we advance to the Championship game we will play it at either a neutral site or Buffalo.

Keep winning and we'll never play in KC or Cincinnati.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

Re: NFL cancels Bills-Bengals game, plans vote Friday to implement two major modifica

I hope the owners veto this convulted playoff scenario. There is already a rule in place if a game cannot be played - to call it a "no contest" and go by winning percentage. Changing the rules on the fly compromises the integrity of the season, and taking a potential AFCCG away from Buffalo or Arrowhead is preposterous.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

So "neutral" should mean someplace geographically in between, perhaps as close to in the middle as possible. Indianapolis is about dead center and there would be no possibility of weather issues because it's a dome. Cincinnati would also be about in the middle as would Chicago. Chicago would be the most likely to be bad weather or at the least cold. I'd be happy if it was Cincy because I think the Cincy fans would probably pull for the Bills. Getting ahead of things I know but fun to think about.

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
          I hope the owners veto this convulted playoff scenario. There is already a rule in place if a game cannot be played - to call it a "no contest" and go by winning percentage. Changing the rules on the fly compromises the integrity of the season, and taking a potential AFCCG away from Buffalo or Arrowhead is preposterous.
          No. What happened was not the Bills fault and it's a situation that has literally never happened before so there is no precedent. Going by winning % punishes the Bills that's a fact.

Comment

• Thurmal
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
            No. What happened was not the Bills fault and it's a situation that has literally never happened before so there is no precedent. Going by winning % punishes the Bills that's a fact.
            They will get the 2nd seed without having to secure it via win over Cincinnati. They actually benefit from it.
            "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

They will get the 2nd seed without having to secure it via win over Cincinnati. They actually benefit from it.
              Beating Cincy and New England would've secured the 1 seed, not the 2 seed.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

OMG let's just go to KC and whip them instead of having to put up with this mockery of a sham posturing BS.

Our players deserve the shot at the week off. Hell, they deserve a week off just because of the nutjob schedule they have had to endure this season. Out team has been pushed around and rebounded with W's. These men deserve better.

And they want to play football....so they are going to go along with anything of course -- but I hope someone finds a way to advocate for them.

We're kicking everyone's ass from here on out anywhere any time -- be ready.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                  OMG let's just go to KC and whip them instead of having to put up with this mockery of a sham posturing BS.

Our players deserve the shot at the week off. Hell, they deserve a week off just because of the nutjob schedule they have had to endure this season. Out team has been pushed around and rebounded with W's. These men deserve better.

And they want to play football....so they are going to go along with anything of course -- but I hope someone finds a way to advocate for them.

We're kicking everyone's ass from here on out anywhere any time -- be ready.
                  F Yeah

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

That's one way to look at it I guess. I don't see it that way. The league decided not to settle this on the field. That was not the Bills call. As of now we have a better record than Cincy, fact.

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

I think a Bye would be detrimental. The Pats are no true primer for the post season. I can see the Bills playing with a huge high with Damar FaceTiming and all… Pats are in trouble.

Comment

• Ed
                        • Sep 2002

I'd honestly rather see them go back to KC and get a win than play at a neutral site, but I'm ok with whatever. At the end of the day it's still all about playing the game and getting the win.

For a neutral site, Indy probably does make the most sense. I would assume they'd give both fanbases season ticket holders first chance at purchasing tickets. It could be a pretty cool atmosphere if you have roughly have of each fanbase in attendance.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                          I'd honestly rather see them go back to KC and get a win than play at a neutral site, but I'm ok with whatever. At the end of the day it's still all about playing the game and getting the win.

For a neutral site, Indy probably does make the most sense. I would assume they'd give both fanbases season ticket holders first chance at purchasing tickets. It could be a pretty cool atmosphere if you have roughly have of each fanbase in attendance.
                          at KC they get too much home cooking.

refs just don't handle Arrowhead equitably IMHO.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Frankly the Bengals got screwed too for supporting us. They sacrificed a chance at number 1 seed, might have a coin flip with the Ravens for home field, and would have to travel to Buffalo under certain conditions in the playoffs. Any Bengals AFC championship should also be neutral field if against Bills or KC.

Comment

Working...
                            X