X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

The Offense is still not in sync

I'm going to resign to the fact that the D is not going to be like the past years because we miss two key contributors of Hyde and Miller. The pass defense looked really missing Hyde, mostly from communications and recognition front. People able to pass the ball pretty much had their way with our secondary. And .. in the playoff, every opponent can pass the ball.

So the success of Bills post-season this year is on the production of the offense. We have to win games the Chiefs' way. But the offense, particularly the passing offense, is not in rythem for a number of games now. Even today it is like feast or famine.

#1 reason in my mind is the lack of production outside of Diggs.

#2 Josh has not been in the zone like he was at the end of last year. I think his elbow and ankle still bothered himn today.

#3 this is really my guess, Dorsey has not found creative ways to use the alternative weapons outside of Davis/McKenzie. I have to believe some offensive coordinators in this league will find effective (and easy) ways to use Cook and Hines. We never had those of weapons prior to this year.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: The Offense is still not in sync

images.jpg

We better get in that sink pretty soon dammit.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

I agree. The haven't played a full game in a long time. We're going to need a full game against Cinci or KC

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
        I agree. The haven't played a full game in a long time. We're going to need a full game against Cinci or KC
        The Ravens play the Bengals ....... I would not count them out.

Our only focus and job is to beat the Dolphins.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
          • Sep 2009

The run game is definitely better, the rest seems worse.

What I hate is that we rely too much on Josh improvising, that's not what you want. It keeps working, but it's not sustainable. At least we hit a deep ball today within the playcall, that felt good for a change.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
            The run game is definitely better, the rest seems worse.

What I hate is that we rely too much on Josh improvising, that's not what you want. It keeps working, but it's not sustainable. At least we hit a deep ball today within the playcall, that felt good for a change.
            This is the problem that I've noticed, too. How many passes are completed within the playcall vs improved by Josh? My guess would be less than 50%, and that's bad. I don't know if it's the playcalling or if something is wrong with Josh, but it's definitely going to be a problem.

Comment

• Cali512
              • Jan 2012

He doesnt get the free yds and tds like mahomes gets

Its very basic, drop back 5 routes, occasional play action. Not a lot of necessary motion, pick plays, swing passes, nothing. Its all on allen all the time. Daboll incorporated this much better
              Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                Miami first.

Also 1 of the problems on offense is the drops. It's killing drives and keeping points off the board. Been a problem all year.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

I have no problem with the offense, other than it relies on the big play a little too often.

Even that beautiful Diggs TD, was on 3rd and 10.

I would have called a shorter pattern there.

On D...I think White is getting into better shape at just the right time, Milano is a beast, and they're forcing FGs most of the time.

Should be interesting.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    I have no problem with the offense, other than it relies on the big play a little too often.

Even that beautiful Diggs TD, was on 3rd and 10.

I would have called a shorter pattern there.

On D...I think White is getting into better shape at just the right time, Milano is a beast, and they're forcing FGs most of the time.

Should be interesting.
                    Same.

The offense averages over 400 yards per game. It's tough to complain about that.

You can't expect them to score every time they touch the ball, it's just not going to happen. The running game has been gaining steam the past 5 or so weeks, and teams are going to have to actually think about it, instead of just keying in on the pass.

Defense will be the achilles heel

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

I remember the first NE game this year, we were in total control. The Patriots player said after the game that the Bills offense in 3rd and short all game, which limited what they could do on defense.

This game, we are back to the nothing, nothing, then bomb away mode. A big stretch of the game, I feel like we have no methodical plan other than a few designs to get Diggs one-on-one. We were like, try this, try that, Oh ***** it is 3rd and 10 now, well Josh go do your thing to convert.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I think they said yesterday it was the first time in 9 games Buffalo had a TD pass over 20 yards. As long as Josh isn't making more than one stupid throw and not protecting the ball I think the offense will be OK.

I'm far more concerned about the defense. From the eye test the pass rush has been inconsistent all season, with or without Miller. We need better disruption from the front four. Milano is a beast against the run, but despite the two pop-ups yesterday he and Edmunds are still weak spots. Edmunds looked like '18 thru '21 Edmunds yesterday, not the '22 version. And the secondary is decimated. I honestly believe if the Cinci game wasn't canceled it would been the one time we got completely rolled all year because Burrow was dicing them up.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Prov401
                          President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                          • Aug 2008

It's the defense for me. The secondary looks slow. Poyer hasn't been around the ball as much lately. Losing Hyde was the worst for the defense as a whole. White is a step and a half behind. The fact that mac jones was passing all over us for the majority of the game is pretty alarming. Let's pray Elam and Benford play their best ball in the playoffs.

As for the offense, it's the Allen and Diggs show. Once teams double Diggs in the post season, who's stepping up? Davis has been in a slump since the Steelers game which seems like years ago. Our slot reciever is nowhere to be found. Knox is good every other week. I really think the key to our post season success starts and ends with how well we can run the football, specifically against the bengals/chiefs. Keeping the ball away from Mahomes and Burrow will be paramount.

Comment

• sukie
                            Seriously?
                            • Sep 2012

Middle of the field quick patterns. It kills the rush and works. I loved the bombs. I also loved the laser to Gabe for a first between the hash marks. Every pattern seems outside.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Prov401 View Post
                              It's the defense for me. The secondary looks slow. Poyer hasn't been around the ball as much lately. Losing Hyde was the worst for the defense as a whole. White is a step and a half behind. The fact that mac jones was passing all over us for the majority of the game is pretty alarming. Let's pray Elam and Benford play their best ball in the playoffs.

As for the offense, it's the Allen and Diggs show. Once teams double Diggs in the post season, who's stepping up? Davis has been in a slump since the Steelers game which seems like years ago. Our slot reciever is nowhere to be found. Knox is good every other week. I really think the key to our post season success starts and ends with how well we can run the football, specifically against the bengals/chiefs. Keeping the ball away from Mahomes and Burrow will be paramount.
                              Poyer's playing with a torn meniscus in his knee, and we are on our third safety in the Hyde spot. Meanwhile Tre is still not quite himself, and we have a platoon of rookies and a smart-but-limited Jackson on the other bookend. Slot corner is the only position in the secondary where we're getting full production. And there's more pressure on the secondary, because we're missing our All-Pro defensive end.

I agree with the post above that the post season is going to be on the offense's shoulders. Our defense really isn't in a position to win games for us.
                              Last edited by Saratoga Slim; 01-09-2023, 08:31 AM.
                              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

Working...
                              X