PDA

View Full Version : Hodgins big miss on him

BuffaloBlitz83
01-16-2023, 07:34 AM
He's looked great on giants. 8 catches yesterday for over 100. I know we have more depth by far than the giants. But looks like he could have been an upgrade over some

Forward_Lateral
01-16-2023, 07:39 AM
Yep. I'm not ready to say he's going to be a star yet, but man, he looks better than any #3 option on the Bills roster at the moment.

That being said, I'm still very optimistic about Shakir.

Night Train
01-16-2023, 07:44 AM
Wish him the best.

I do know he couldn't get healthy for 2+ years. Forced them to keep looking for more reliable alternatives.

Forward_Lateral
01-16-2023, 07:45 AM
Wish him the best.

I do know he couldn't get healthy for 2+ years. Forced them to keep looking for more reliable alternatives.
This is a great point.

It's not like the Bills were desperate for a WR either.

Woodman
01-16-2023, 07:55 AM
It's not that we missed on him it's more of he just ran out of time.

Injuries really damaged his chances here and DaBoll knew exactly what talent he had when healthy.

His best opportunity to see the field was definitely elsewhere.

Gotta look forward best of luck.

sukie
01-16-2023, 08:19 AM
I like what the rook Shakir brings

BuffaloBlitz83
01-16-2023, 09:14 AM
I like what the rook Shakir brings

Great catch but man that drop on Allen pass could have sealed game early.

Historian
01-16-2023, 09:27 AM
Are the Giants legit...or just Buffalo East?

Woodman
01-16-2023, 09:34 AM
DaBoll has em buying in so anything can happen.

Big test coming up.

Historian
01-16-2023, 09:37 AM
It's nice to see Saquon finally performing up to his potential.....good player.

sahlensguy
01-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Good for him. Seems to play on the outside. Bad fit for him here.

- - - Updated - - -

It's nice to see Saquon finally performing up to his potential.....good player.

Love to see that and Daboll's success.

Thurmal
01-16-2023, 09:49 AM
This coaching staff has difficulty evaluating offensive talent. Took them three months to discover that James Cook is good.

Woodman
01-16-2023, 09:53 AM
This coaching staff has difficulty evaluating offensive talent. Took them three months to discover that James Cook is good.
I'd like to believe they knew but were just being careful. :shocked:

This kid needs to be used in the passing game .... that's for damn sure.

Night Train
01-16-2023, 09:59 AM
Cook turned the ball over twice the first 3 times he touched the ball in the NFL. Benched himself.

Woodman
01-16-2023, 10:03 AM
Cook turned the ball over twice the first 3 times he touched the ball in the NFL. Benched himself.

And with McDermott that's huge it definitely slowed things down for him.

Can't criticize the caution back then ..... now please release the Kraken!

imbondz
01-16-2023, 10:07 AM
Wasn’t his first touch a fumble? I was fine with sitting him.

Discotrish
01-16-2023, 10:46 AM

I've got Cook in my playoff fantasy lineup

kingJofNYC
01-16-2023, 11:20 AM
There just aren't enough balls to go around sometimes. Just the facts. We need to get Diggs involved, Knox, Davis, I wouldn't mind having Hodgins here but they drafted Shakir (he looks really good when he touches the ball, but again not enough balls).

The real question is who is Gabe Davis? Is he the guy from September early October, guy in the playoffs, or the guy who basically looked dead from mid October to early January.

Good for Hodgins, he wouldn't get that kind of run here, just the truth of it. Shakir is a stud imo, yes, he dropped that deep ball, but this kid would have easily been over 100+ yards in his first playoff game. You feed him the rock and he's going to produce, guy was open a lot.

Forward_Lateral
01-16-2023, 11:22 AM
There just aren't enough balls to go around sometimes. Just the facts. We need to get Diggs involved, Knox, Davis, I wouldn't mind having Hodgins here but they drafted Shakir (he looks really good when he touches the ball, but again not enough balls).

The real question is who is Gabe Davis? Is he the guy from September early October, guy in the playoffs, or the guy who basically looked dead from mid October to early January.

Good for Hodgins, he wouldn't get that kind of run here, just the truth of it. Shakir is a stud imo, yes, he dropped that deep ball, but this kid would have easily been over 100+ yards in his first playoff game. You feed him the rock and he's going to produce, guy was open a lot.
I agree with Shakir. I think if they don't have him, they keep Hodgins. I think Shakir is going to be a big star for the Bills.

jamze132
01-16-2023, 12:26 PM
Hodgins has elite hands. Could have used those…

Bill Cody
01-16-2023, 12:40 PM
Be nice if we still had him. Might be the replacement for Davis. I see Shakir as an elite guy in the slot in the future

Mad Max
01-16-2023, 12:45 PM
I would have liked to have kept him but if the math came down to him and Shakir they probably chose the right guy. Shakir is a 4.4 while Hodgins is 4.6 huge speed gap and Shakir gets better (maybe much better) separation than Hodgins.

I think we’re going to be pleased with Shakirs development

notacon
01-16-2023, 03:26 PM
I’ve talked a lot about this situation.

The Bills did not “miss” on Hodgins. They drafted him and kept him on the team for three years. They wanted to keep him this season, and tired to get him through waivers....which they did several times before, to get him back on the practice squad.

The NYG happened to have several injuries in their WR room and few of them were doing anything very impressive. Daboll and Schoen being familiar with him, claimed him.

At the start of the season, Hodgins was just not good enough the break through a Super Bowl contending roster. His lack of value on special teams was a huge factor in him not being in the top six.

He’s done very well on the Giants, manly because there is no one else. To say that "he looks better than any #3 option on the Bills roster at the moment.” is both not necessarily accurate or even relevant. It’s impossible to quaintly what one player will do on another team, with a different offense scheme and different personnel.

His lack of versatility (no special teams worth) and, like Night Train said (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262340-Hodgins-big-miss-on-him?p=4996887&viewfull=1#post4996887), not bean able to stay healthy....and his relatively lackluster performance during trading camp (as reported several times)....the Bills made decisions that have to be made. Sometime very difficult.

With the Bills having one of the deepest and highest quality rosters in the NFL, there are several players that are lower on the depth chart here, but would be higher on terms with lesser rosters.

The idea that he could replace Gabe Davis is laughable. Davis is one of the best blocking WR we have and has already shown himself to be capable of being explosive and taking the attention away from Diggs.

Shakir is already showing himself to be much better than Hodgins was his rookie year, and I suspect will continue to develop.

I suspect that the Giants will look to greatly improve their WR room, and it would not surprise me one bit if Hodgins finds himself on the PS once again.

With that said, I wish him all the success.

Oaf
01-16-2023, 06:54 PM
We picked Kumerow over Hodgins and were wrong about it. If Hodgins could've learned ST, he'd still be here. Maybe too skinny a frame?

ParanoidAndroid
01-16-2023, 07:38 PM
We picked Kumerow over Hodgins and were wrong about it. If Hodgins could've learned ST, he'd still be here. Maybe too skinny a frame?
Hodgins is/was not a good blocker. You can't get on the field in this offense as a #4 WR and not be able to block on a WR screen or a toss sweep.

Also, we had Crowder. He was behind Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, and Crowder and the Bills were looking to add speed rather than possession skills. That put Shakir ahead of him, too.

Kumerow had ST skills and could block which made him the more valuable utility guy.

We all saw the potential. He can find soft spots in zone and has really good hands.

I'm happy for him.

swiper
01-16-2023, 07:48 PM
Wish him the best.

Held onto him for 2 years to let him heal, then let him go. Someone messed up.

Not sure what the Bills see in McKenzie.

kgun12
01-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Are the Giants legit...or just Buffalo East?

I think the Carolina boards were probably saying the same thing 4 or 5 years ago.

Mace
01-16-2023, 07:58 PM
It looks inadequate to me. Davis is hit or miss, we had to get John Brown for the outside.

We have Beasley, Crowder and Kumerow as slot possibilities and drafted Shakir, who we're hoping is the slot but might be an outside guy. They're not catching enough balls to worry about special teams skill when you give up long returns.

They wouldn't give him snaps here and likely never would, because Daniel Jones would find him more dependable than Josh Allen could ? What if you give Daniel Jones, Gabe Davis instead, does it work out the same ?

If they want to keep flinging it down the field, and it sure seems we do, we made a mistake.

And we move along. I just wonder why we made that mistake, and what it gained us right now.

swiper
01-16-2023, 08:03 PM
It looks inadequate to me. Davis is hit or miss, we had to get John Brown for the outside.

We have Beasley, Crowder and Kumerow as slot possibilities and drafted Shakir, who we're hoping is the slot but might be an outside guy. They're not catching enough balls to worry about special teams skill when you give up long returns.

They wouldn't give him snaps here and likely never would, because Daniel Jones would find him more dependable than Josh Allen could ? What if you give Daniel Jones, Gabe Davis instead, does it work out the same ?

If they want to keep flinging it down the field, and it sure seems we do, we made a mistake.

And we move along. I just wonder why we made that mistake, and what it gained us right now.

Exactly that last part.

ParanoidAndroid
01-17-2023, 04:12 AM
He has 33 catches for 351 yards in 9 games.

What are we whining about here?

Daboll would take any WR on this roster and they would start for the Giants.

swiper
01-17-2023, 04:31 AM

You cannot take those stats over 9 games as they worked him very slowly then ramped up more recently as they saw he was able to provide what they were looking for. He's made several nice catches, while Shakir has the ball put right in his hands and he drops it.

ParanoidAndroid
01-17-2023, 04:56 AM
I can and I did.

He started for them the second game he played for them, so he didn't get worked in slowly.

I wanted to keep him over Kumerow but I get why they didn't.

Kumerow would be a Giant if the Packers didn't get him first.

YardRat
01-17-2023, 06:23 AM
Kumerow is still a Buffalo Bill, he's on IR.

And yes, Hodgins is a miss and has the potential to be a big miss, but that is more do to circumstances re:skill set, roster make up, etc than anything.

I'm more concerned about the misses we have in the draft that are passed over and never make it here to begin with like interior oline, linebacker, safety.

notacon
01-17-2023, 11:49 AM

He’s only had one good game.....in the Wild Card. Little too soon to crown him anything more than an oft-injured 6th round draft pick that is making waves on a team almost totally bereft of WR talent.

Before that he had only one game with more than 45 receiving yards.

When your best WR is Darius Slayton with only 46 catches for 724 yards and 2 TD’s.....the standards are pretty low. Much worse is that their #1 cap hit for 2022 is Kenny Golladay at a whopping $21.15M.

Golladay played in 12 games in 2022 with 6 catches for 81 yards and one TD. His cap number is $21.4M for 2023....with (according to spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/cap/)) a dead cap hit of $14.7 in 2023.

If the Giants are going to go all in on Daniel Jones, they have a lot of work to do to upgrade the WR room. Hodgins is cheap and will be there next year, but I suspect that he will quickly fall down depth chart when Daboll and Schoen get serious about improving the receiving talent around Jones.

jamze132
01-17-2023, 02:57 PM
Hodgins is/was not a good blocker. You can't get on the field in this offense as a #4 WR and not be able to block on a WR screen or a toss sweep.

Also, we had Crowder. He was behind Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, and Crowder and the Bills were looking to add speed rather than possession skills. That put Shakir ahead of him, too.

Kumerow had ST skills and could block which made him the more valuable utility guy.

We all saw the potential. He can find soft spots in zone and has really good hands.

I'm happy for him.

And Josh wasn’t accurate…hmmm

Canadian'eh!
01-17-2023, 03:05 PM
When Crowder hit IR week 2, Hodgins should have had a roster spot here. He is offering more than anyone not named Diggs on the roster.

It was a mistake not to block the Giants before they got him. Period.

Forward_Lateral
01-17-2023, 03:40 PM
He is offering more than anyone not named Diggs on the roster.

No.

Gabe, as inconsistent as he was this year, still put up over 800 yards and 7 TDs.

Hodgins isn't even playing the slot in NY, so I don't know why everyone is claiming he's a slot WR. He's playing outside. Their slot guy is James.

notacon
01-17-2023, 03:50 PM
When Crowder hit IR week 2, Hodgins should have had a roster spot here. He is offering more than anyone not named Diggs on the roster.

It was a mistake not to block the Giants before they got him. Period.

No other NFL team agrees with you since he went through waivers more than once.

Oaf
01-17-2023, 04:43 PM

I'm happy for him.

He actually blocked great on Sunday vs MIN! A fine clone of Davis. We went with Kumerow which ended up being a small mistake.

Feliciano balling out for NYG as well. Good for them.

Canadian'eh!
01-17-2023, 06:56 PM
No other NFL team agrees with you since he went through waivers more than once.

They didn't have him on a practice squad like we did and see him every day. You know who agreed with me? DABOLL.

Your point is laughable. If "no other" did, he'd be here.

Canadian'eh!
01-17-2023, 06:57 PM
No.

Gabe, as inconsistent as he was this year, still put up over 800 yards and 7 TDs.

Hodgins isn't even playing the slot in NY, so I don't know why everyone is claiming he's a slot WR. He's playing outside. Their slot guy is James.

I didn't say he was a slot though. He's been more reliable LATELY than Gabe. But he's more of an old school "possession" guy. 10 yards, big body, good hands.

notacon
01-17-2023, 07:21 PM
They didn't have him on a practice squad like we did and see him every day. You know who agreed with me? DABOLL.

Your point is laughable. If "no other" did, he'd be here.

No he didn’t. He had more than one chance to claim him....and did not earlier in the season. It was only when the injuries started to pile up that he did.

It is a fact that other times Hodgins was exposed to waivers this year, no other team claimed him.

kgun12
01-17-2023, 10:28 PM
Does anyone remember Haven Moses or the 100 or so players missed judged or just different have room for? This thread is just plain silly. But them again we have some of the best football talent people in the industry on this site. Even me when it comes to Edmunds, the only difference is I know I’m right, lol! :lmao:

notacon
01-22-2023, 10:42 AM
Last night’s game, Hodgins literally disappeared. He had one catch for 3 yards and he even screwed that up.

BIG TIME!!!

The game still had the Giants, reeling, but poised to make some noise after they made a HUGE stop of Philly, after Jones threw an INT (after seeing Philly slicing through the Giants defense their first two possession to go ahed 14-0).

The INT gave Philly the ball on the Giants 46 yard line. They actually LOST 3 yards of the series because of a penalty. Giants get the ball (after Eagles punt) on their own 9 yard line, down 14-0 early in 2nd quarter.

Giants have two plays, 1 yd run by Jones and a 5 yd pass. 3rd down 4 to go. HUGE SITUATION. Jones throws the ball to Hodgins right on the yard to gain.

But, WAIT, the guy with supposed “elite hands (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262340-Hodgins-big-miss-on-him?p=4996968&viewfull=1#post4996968)” :rolleyes: bobbles the ball and go backwards, and instead of a big first down they are one yard short (on their own 15), the Giants punt the ball from deep in their own territory handing the ball back to the Eagles with good field position (their own 37) and nine plays later, they score a TD to go ahead 21-0...and the ROUT IS ON!!!

Hodgins does not have any more catches the rest of the game. NONE!!

Just like I said earlier in the thread (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262340-Hodgins-big-miss-on-him?p=4997270&viewfull=1#post4997270)....

"He’s only had one good game.....in the Wild Card. Little too soon to crown him anything more than an oft-injured 6th round draft pick that is making waves on a team almost totally bereft of WR talent.”

Lexwhat
01-22-2023, 10:58 AM
Last night’s game, Hodgins literally disappeared. He had one catch for 3 yards and he even screwed that up.

BIG TIME!!!

The game still had the Giants, reeling, but poised to make some noise after they made a HUGE stop of Philly, after Jones threw an INT (after seeing Philly slicing through the Giants defense their first two possession to go ahed 14-0).

The INT gave Philly the ball on the Giants 46 yard line. They actually LOST 3 yards of the series because of a penalty. Giants get the ball (after Eagles punt) on their own 9 yard line, down 14-0 early in 2nd quarter.

Giants have two plays, 1 yd run by Jones and a 5 yd pass. 3rd down 4 to go. HUGE SITUATION. Jones throws the ball to Hodgins right on the yard to gain.

But, WAIT, the guy with supposed “elite hands (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262340-Hodgins-big-miss-on-him?p=4996968&viewfull=1#post4996968)” :rolleyes: bobbles the ball and go backwards, and instead of a big first down they are one yard short (on their own 15), the Giants punt the ball from deep in their own territory handing the ball back to the Eagles with good field position (their own 37) and nine plays later, they score a TD to go ahead 21-0...and the ROUT IS ON!!!

Hodgins does not have any more catches the rest of the game. NONE!!

Just like I said earlier in the thread (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262340-Hodgins-big-miss-on-him?p=4997270&viewfull=1#post4997270)....

"He’s only had one good game.....in the Wild Card. Little too soon to crown him anything more than an oft-injured 6th round draft pick that is making waves on a team almost totally bereft of WR talent.”

I wanted to keep Hodgins and thought he would be a good player (and a good Red Zone target given his height), but watching yesterday's game - it's obvious he will be shut out against the better CBs (like the Eagles have) in this league. Hodgins may improve in the future, but his development has been slow given his injury history (as you said).

Looking at our roster - between Diggs, Gabe Davis (when Gabe is playing up to his potential), Shakir, McKenzie, and Beasley - I don't really see any room for Hodgins. It's not like he is DK Metcalf. I wish Hodgins the best because he seems like a genuinely good guy, but I'm now seeing that he wouldn't be a clear WR2 on this team.