X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Allen plays more reckless when we are leading

One thing ive noticed this year and last year, Allen seems to have the mindset of "kill them" when we are winning instead of playing winning football. As soon as we start losing, he gets efficient. 2 minute drills, coming from behind, hes surgical. As soon as we get a decent lead, he goes into sugar high allen

Its one thing you see with burrow or vintage brady. When they get the lead, they just focus on quick passes and first downs. It seems like Allen uses us winning as justification to go wild.

He has got to tone this down, just because we have a lead, doesnt mean you have an excuse to play reckless, hes become to comfortable with the lead. I noticed the most vs greenbay, but hes done in nearly every game since. Take what the defense gives you, play a little wild to start the game, idc, but when we get the lead, chill tf out and just focus on getting first downs. You can tell he knows at certain times during the game, he settles down and puts together long drives, but as soon as we get a decent lead, he gets to wild
    Last edited by Cali512; 01-17-2023, 01:24 AM.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: Allen plays more reckless when we are leading

This is kind of an attack offense, which is fine....I just wish they would mix up the play calling with some shorter and intermediate stuff.

Can't throw deep on every play, especially on 3rd and long.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

The entire team gets lackadaisical and sloppy when they get a lead.

I definitely don't think from the offense/Josh it's a recklessness from any kind of killer instinct because they have stifled their own drives many times by just making stupid throws, not getting two hands on the ball and dropping a pass, lazy play-calling/reads, etc. On defense they get more conservative, miss some tackles, play a step or two slower.

I don't think their issue stems from some nastiness wanting to make a kill shot but rather a cocky, misplaced confidence that they can't do anything wrong and already have the game in the bag. I wish this team had a killer instinct because IMO it's an attitude that they lack.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Cali512
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        The entire team gets lackadaisical and sloppy when they get a lead.

I definitely don't think from the offense/Josh it's a recklessness from any kind of killer instinct because they have stifled their own drives many times by just making stupid throws, not getting two hands on the ball and dropping a pass, lazy play-calling/reads, etc. On defense they get more conservative, miss some tackles, play a step or two slower.

I don't think their issue stems from some nastiness wanting to make a kill shot but rather a cocky, misplaced confidence that they can't do anything wrong and already have the game in the bag. I wish this team had a killer instinct because IMO it's an attitude that they lack.

Ive been trying to not say this because he is humble and a very nice guy, but Josh plays cocky. Not in an attitude, but more of a "i dont give a ****, im trying this throw". Love the guy, but in order to have that mentality, you have to be putting yourself over the good of the team at times. Its good to be cocky, but not at the detriment of the team
        Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
          We play to win the game!
          • Oct 2009

I notice Allen has more ints after he has one earlier. You don't see many 1 int days from him. When he gets 1 he usually has multiple. Feels he gets angry and tries to make it up but gets riskier.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
            Ive been trying to not say this because he is humble and a very nice guy, but Josh plays cocky. Not in an attitude, but more of a "i dont give a ****, im trying this throw". Love the guy, but in order to have that mentality, you have to be putting yourself over the good of the team at times. Its good to be cocky, but not at the detriment of the team
            I don't think his carelessness with the football comes from any "me first" attitude either, I believe he sincerely is trying to do what is best for the team. And you can't temper the gunslinger attitude too much because that's who he is and why he makes great plays.

If you want to keep seeing throws like the Knox and Davis TD's, and the bomb to Diggs early, then you need to accept the bad interceptions now and then when he's trying to make those throws and they don't work out.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• MikeInRoch
              • Sep 2003

Allen has severe arm arrogance. A lot of times he makes throws that are low percentage, but he believes he can make it. I don't view that as "he doesn't care what happens if he fails". It's purely self confidence.
              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Buffalogic
                Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                • Feb 2006

The guy plays to the level of his competition pretty frequently. That's why his best games are always when the opponent is toughest and the lights are the brightest. He gets bored and goes stat hunting when he perceives the opponent is not a threat.

I'm ok with this, frankly. Yes, it will bite him a few times, but he will play his best during the most important games.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
                  Allen has severe arm arrogance. A lot of times he makes throws that are low percentage, but he believes he can make it. I don't view that as "he doesn't care what happens if he fails". It's purely self confidence.
                  ^^^^^^^
                  This!

Him and Mahomes. Never ever say to either one of them that Oh this is a pass you can NOT make.

Two additional points:
                  1. Mahomes has won the superbowl, the MVPs etc. So he has shut people up that his "arm arrogance" worked. Allen has not. Thus people can continue the narratives.
                  2. Mahomes has Andy Reid who knows Mahomes and can design/call plays keeping his arm arrogance in check. Allen? Got an earful from Daboll from the sideline time to time. Under Dorsey, he's not even getting that. I'm sure he'll be reminded behind closed door in film rooms, but certainly nothing of the humiliation in front of 80,000 attendees or millions TV viewers. I'm of the opinion that getting humiliated once in a while on the sideline is 100 times better than getting humiliated on the field.

Comment

• Cali512
                    • Jan 2012

I don't think his carelessness with the football comes from any "me first" attitude either, I believe he sincerely is trying to do what is best for the team. And you can't temper the gunslinger attitude too much because that's who he is and why he makes great plays.

If you want to keep seeing throws like the Knox and Davis TD's, and the bomb to Diggs early, then you need to accept the bad interceptions now and then when he's trying to make those throws and they don't work out.

When we have the lead and all we need to do is play efficient, that mindset is borderline cocky. Those passes you mentioned were efficient passes still. They were passes dropped in the perfect area

The John brown int, the fumbles where he has 2 players about to sack him 10 yds behind the LoS and he has no chance of escaping, the cross body throws into double coverage

I know he probably thinks hes helping or doing something to better the team. But if its this consistent, and to the detriment of the team, thats an issue. He plays best when he takes what the defense gives him, and picks his spots

For example, he threw a redzone int earlier this season where he was running near the sideline and threw the ball right to the defender. I believe the very next week, there was 7-8 seconds left in the half, he took all the time off the clock scrambling, threw the same exact pass, the defender played it wrong, and it was a TD. That looks like a great play, but it still bothered me. To not care about the clock, throw the exact same pass that was an int the previous week, and not care. Thats the **** that bites him in the ass a lot

I dont believe the idea that "you have to take the bad plays with the good ones". His best games are when he's efficient, controls the ball, and makes smart decisions. We dont need the crazyness when we are trying to control the game with the lead. We need him to play smart. If he wants to throw some crazy pass, at the very least make it where if his receiver doesnt get it, no one will

Its the playoffs, the "**** it" attitude isnt how you win games. Controlling the game, limiting turnovers, and playing smart is how you make a playoff run

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

When we have the lead and all we need to do is play efficient, that mindset is borderline cocky. Those passes you mentioned were efficient passes still. They were passes dropped in the perfect area

The John brown int, the fumbles where he has 2 players about to sack him 10 yds behind the LoS and he has no chance of escaping, the cross body throws into double coverage

I know he probably thinks hes helping or doing something to better the team. But if its this consistent, and to the detriment of the team, thats an issue. He plays best when he takes what the defense gives him, and picks his spots

For example, he threw a redzone int earlier this season where he was running near the sideline and threw the ball right to the defender. I believe the very next week, there was 7-8 seconds left in the half, he took all the time off the clock scrambling, threw the same exact pass, the defender played it wrong, and it was a TD. That looks like a great play, but it still bothered me. To not care about the clock, throw the exact same pass that was an int the previous week, and not care. Thats the **** that bites him in the ass a lot

I dont believe the idea that "you have to take the bad plays with the good ones". His best games are when he's efficient, controls the ball, and makes smart decisions. We dont need the crazyness when we are trying to control the game with the lead. We need him to play smart. If he wants to throw some crazy pass, at the very least make it where if his receiver doesnt get it, no one will

Its the playoffs, the "**** it" attitude isnt how you win games. Controlling the game, limiting turnovers, and playing smart is how you make a playoff run
                      I don't really disagree with you on this that much, except I don't think his motivation stems from putting himself before the team.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                        Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                        • Nov 2012

Severe Arm Arrogance. SAA

Comment

• Cali512
                          • Jan 2012

I don't really disagree with you on this that much, except I don't think his motivation stems from putting himself before the team.

I dont believe hes doing it to "put himself before the team". I think its an issue with him getting to comfortable with getting away with a lot of his crazy plays. If he threw 4 ints and we got blown out, i guarantee the next week he wont do that. But when he gets away with it a few games in a row, he feels empowered to go back to his old mindset.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Allen, imho, broke at the bye. Dunno if it's head or body, but expecting some announcement of offseason surgery. I just think he works too hard on his game for it to be head. Can't really believe he just went from a QB on pace to beat Manning's record to Tyrod Taylor needing a running game in 3 weeks without something physically wrong he hasn't admitted to. It started before the elbow. He's trying to overcompensate with arm strength for something else, imho.

I guess we'll see.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

I dont believe hes doing it to "put himself before the team". I think its an issue with him getting to comfortable with getting away with a lot of his crazy plays. If he threw 4 ints and we got blown out, i guarantee the next week he wont do that. But when he gets away with it a few games in a row, he feels empowered to go back to his old mindset.
                              Apparently I misinterpreted this comment...

Originally posted by Cali512
                              Love the guy, but in order to have that mentality, you have to be putting yourself over the good of the team at times.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X