PDA

View Full Version : Postgame McDermott

Mace
01-22-2023, 07:45 PM
No. No, this is a good football team," McDermott told reporters when asked if he was concerned about the window closing. "And you learn from things like this. You keep knocking on the door. That's what you do. You stay steadfast in your focus and your approach. You work your tail off. Again, that's a good football team we just played, and they played better than we did tonight. They coached better than we did tonight. And we've got to learn from this and make the proper adjustments as we move forward.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-sean-mcdermott-doesn-t-think-super-bowl-window-is-closing-after-loss-to-be

I don't even know what to say.

Lexwhat
01-22-2023, 07:48 PM
Dont really expect him to say anything different in a postgame pressor, to be honest.

But I do expect changes in the coming days / weeks. If not, I will be concerned.

I am not with the crowd that says McDermott needs to go, but I do feel he needs to make staff changes. I felt Frazier has only called 1 good playoff game in his career (Ravens last year), but outside of that - I am unimpressed.

The Ravens defensive game plan and execution last week was far superior to ours.

Novacane
01-22-2023, 07:49 PM
What didn't you like? They are a good FB team. They don't need to be blown up. The last line...........we need to make the proper adjustments going forward makes me think he knows there has to be changes. He's not going to say it straight up in a postgame press conference.

YardRat
01-22-2023, 07:52 PM
The "we'll learn from this and get better" might carry a little weight if they actually did it. But they don't. Frankly, I'm sick of hearing it.

This team is on a downward trajectory. Granted it's slight and not drastic, but beat badly in Championship game-lose close in division round-beat badly in division round is not learning from it and making the proper adjustments....it's being stubborn and making the wrong adjustments.

If the trend continues, next season = losing in the wild card round.

kgun12
01-22-2023, 08:02 PM
All I can say is I hope like hell Dorsey WOWED the Panthers and McD uses some pull to get him the job!

sukie
01-22-2023, 08:04 PM
The D regressed. The wr as a whole regressed. Both lines regressed. I see regression.

still a fun team to watch. I would love the personnel changes to put teams away. Diggs is an island. His greatness is ability to get 100+ in games with zero compliment. Double him and today happens.

load up Mr Beane… I’m not getting younger.

Forward_Lateral
01-22-2023, 08:05 PM
The Defense, without pressure from the front 4, is completely useless

sahlensguy
01-22-2023, 08:05 PM
Can't stand still this off season.

kingJofNYC
01-22-2023, 08:07 PM
Coach talks positively after a loss, news at 11.

Buffalogic
01-22-2023, 08:09 PM
McDermott made it clear they got whooped on the lines. I'm sure he's going to get with beane and tell him we can't win it all with the performance of the d and o lines. the most important part of a any team is the weakest part of ours.

OpIv37
01-22-2023, 08:11 PM
Keep knocking at the door? Are we ****ing Jehovah”s witnesses who can knock on doors til they’re 70 years old?

We only get maybe one or two more knocks.

Lexwhat
01-22-2023, 08:19 PM
Keep knocking at the door? Are we ****ing Jehovah”s witnesses who can knock on doors til they’re 70 years old?
We only get maybe one or two more knocks.

Yup.

I picked the Bengals to win today - but today's effort was just pathetic, and I expected more passion from this team.

The Bengals maximized their talent, while we were stuck in the mud.

Their DCoordinator showed what a true game plan is like, while ours was the black Dick Jauron.

sukie
01-22-2023, 08:25 PM
Yup.

I picked the Bengals to win today - but today's effort was just pathetic, and I expected more passion from this team.

Their DCoordinator showed what a true game plan is like, while ours was the black Dick Jauron.
Their D line was better than our D line. Their OC was better… more patient. More imaginative.

kgun12
01-22-2023, 08:26 PM
Yup.

Yeah, we have issues but what really bothers me is how uninspired, unprepared, and unmotivated this team was today. It will bother me as much as 13 seconds, wide right, and music city miracle.

sukie
01-22-2023, 08:29 PM
Yeah, we have issues but what really bothers me is how uninspired, unprepared, and unmotivated this team was today. It will bother me as much as 13 seconds, wide right, and music city miracle.

I prefer the blowout over 13 seconds. I know we were worse at skill positions when Davis came back to earth. That and losing Crowder… left us McK and Shakir
( the latter shows promise)

Lexwhat
01-22-2023, 08:38 PM

I felt that we deserved to win last year against KC, and I felt (before today) that we would have beaten KC next week. Just needed to get past Cincy today.

But the way we coached today and the effort we put forth - there's no way we would have won the Super Bowl.

kgun12
01-22-2023, 08:55 PM
I coached baseball and wrestling from little league to high school for over 25 years. I never had a team uninspired, unprepared, and unmotivated. No we didn’t win every time but we were always in every game/ and never blown out. Today was very concerning.

Mace
01-22-2023, 09:14 PM
What didn't you like? They are a good FB team. They don't need to be blown up. The last line...........we need to make the proper adjustments going forward makes me think he knows there has to be changes. He's not going to say it straight up in a postgame press conference.

That they have a higher standard and intend to meet it. This is stale, and what feelings will they hurt when they were just humiliated in a home playoff game they didn't show up to play ?

They can't make the proper adjustments, the staff hasn't learned anything, they keep getting worse, "great job boys" just doesn't cut it in the 6th year of a program, when you haven't in fact learned a crap, and just got slapped stupid by a team in their 4th year of a program, and you keep stacking your roster more to compensate for clapping as a strategy.

Why shouldn't he say it in a postgame press conference if there wasn't a higher standard ? He doesn't want to hurt their feelings ? Oh boo.

Lexwhat
01-22-2023, 09:17 PM
I coached baseball and wrestling from little league to high school for over 25 years. I never had a team uninspired, unprepared, and unmotivated. No we didn’t win every time but we were always in every game/ and never blown out. Today was very concerning.
A loss like today… makes me wonder if people quit on this team.

Novacane
01-22-2023, 09:24 PM
That they have a higher standard and intend to meet it. This is stale, and what feelings will they hurt when they were just humiliated in a home playoff game they didn't show up to play ?

They can't make the proper adjustments, the staff hasn't learned anything, they keep getting worse, "great job boys" just doesn't cut it in the 6th year of a program, when you haven't in fact learned a crap, and just got slapped stupid by a team in their 4th year of a program, and you keep stacking your roster more to compensate for clapping as a strategy.

Why shouldn't he say it in a postgame press conference if there wasn't a higher standard ? He doesn't want to hurt their feelings ? Oh boo.

I'm hoping adjustments means coaching changes.

Novacane
01-22-2023, 09:29 PM

Are you talking players? It sure looked like it at the end.

Buffalogic
01-22-2023, 09:33 PM
This is just what happens with soft teams. They got bullied by a much more physical team and lost their will to fight. They got stronger and we got weaker when both teams realized what was true.

Lexwhat
01-22-2023, 09:46 PM

Yup, the players.

In Mcdermott’s entire tenure - I have never seen it this bad.

Woodman
01-22-2023, 10:11 PM
trenches trenches !!!!!

kingJofNYC
01-22-2023, 10:11 PM
I know folks want to blame the coaches, and I'm fine with it, but be careful what you wish for sometimes. Folks, it can always get worse. I'm not saying don't explore it, they certainly should on defense since I feel like that unit is the closest to breaking away due to age, but our long term issues are personnel related.

Look at this roster, and look at the last 4 drafts. How many difference makers do we have from those drafts? I mean lets just look at DL. They go out and spend 4 first and second day picks on DL, then they go out and give Von Miller a boatload of money. If those 4 DL drafts picks were good you don't need to give Von the money, but fine lets get Von because those 4 picks haven't lived up to expectations. That's all well and good when Josh Allen is making 16m dollars, but next season his salary is what, $40m? Well now we have problems, because we don't have cheap rookies on affordable contracts that can contribute. Does this sound familiar? It's kind of like what happened with the Rams right? Except they just traded the picks, while ours haven't lived up to the hype.

Going into next season we have no Safety to take Poyers place. We have no idea who Tre is post injury and he's on a long term mega contract. We don't have money to improve WR position. Edmunds is gone, but we have 1 LB that was drafted to possibly take his place. We extended Diggs and he's reaching 30, extended Knox who we barely target.

This team's roster has issues, serious issues, and we can't fix them overnight by just hiring a new coach. I like Cook and Shakir, Rosseau, but we haven't drafted a single OL that is net positive contributor in the last 4 drafts. We have no money to improve our OL, well may be we will get some when Morse retires. They have to come up aces in the personnel department. I low key laugh at all the teams that poached our front office talent, they didn't look at the roster/draft the last few years, and Josh/Diggs got those men great jobs/contracts.

Woodman
01-22-2023, 10:14 PM
I know folks want to blame the coaches, and I'm fine with it, but be careful what you wish for sometimes. Folks, it can always get worse. I'm not saying don't explore it, they certainly should on defense since I feel like that unit is the closest to breaking away due to age, but our long term issues are personnel related.

Look at this roster, and look at the last 4 drafts. How many difference makers do we have from those drafts? I mean lets just look at DL. They go out and spend 4 first and second day picks on DL, then they go out and give Von Miller a boatload of money. If those 4 DL drafts picks were good you don't need to give Von the money, but fine lets get Von because those 4 picks haven't lived up to expectations. That's all well and good when Josh Allen is making 16m dollars, but next season his salary is what, $40m? Well now we have problems, because we don't have cheap rookies on affordable contracts that can contribute. Does this sound familiar? It's kind of like what happened with the Rams right? Except they just traded the picks, while ours haven't lived up to the hype.

Going into next season we have no Safety to take Poyers place. We have no idea who Tre is post injury and he's on a long term mega contract. We don't have money to improve WR position. Edmunds is gone, but we have 1 LB that was drafted to possibly take his place. We extended Diggs and he's reaching 30, extended Knox who we barely target.

This team roster was has issues, serious issues, and we can't fix them overnight by just hiring a new coach. I like Cook and Shakir, Rosseau, but we haven't drafted a single OL that is net positive contributor in the last 4 drafts. We have no money to improve our OL, well may be we will get some when Morse retires. They have to come up aces in the personnel department. I low key laugh at all the teams that poached are front office talent, they didn't look at the roster/draft the last few years, and Josh/Diggs got those men great jobs/contracts.
Agreed trenches trenches trenches!!!!!!!!!!

kingJofNYC
01-22-2023, 10:18 PM
One more thing, we've drafted 3 running backs on day 2 the last 4 drafts, why?

Why did we desperately try to find a pass catching running back when we never throw running backs the ball, or don't throw screens?

If they showed this much urgency to fixing the OL then we wouldn't be looking for this magic swiss army knife running back because the OL would actually be able to get out on a screen or hold up at the point of attack to create holes.

Just lunacy how they constructed this roster.

kgun12
01-22-2023, 10:30 PM

Sure seems like something was different today, they were definitely off from the start of the game.

TacklingDummy
01-22-2023, 10:39 PM
One more thing, we've drafted 3 running backs on day 2 the last 4 drafts, why?

Why did we desperately try to find a pass catching running back when we never throw running backs the ball, or don't throw screens?

If they showed this much urgency to fixing the OL then we wouldn't be looking for this magic swiss army knife running back because the OL would actually be able to get out on a screen or hold up at the point of attack to create holes.

Just lunacy how they constructed this roster.
Drafting Cook this year was to replace Singletary next year. But RB is a dime a dozen position. If you block, a 7th round pick RB will look good.

Woodman
01-22-2023, 10:40 PM
Should we have deferred to the Bengals?

kgun12
01-22-2023, 10:40 PM
Drafting Cook this year was to replace Singletary next year. But RB is a dime a dozen position. If you block, a 7th round pick RB will look good.

:goodpost:

Woodman
01-22-2023, 10:44 PM

So true.

We need dominant linemen ..... OL and DL before we need anything else!!!

Maybe we need to rethink some of these guys that play just special teams.

Line line line depth depth depth!!!

Bengals had enough depth that missing 3 starters didn't mean ****!

kingJofNYC
01-22-2023, 10:45 PM

Yeah, I understood why they took Cook, but like you said, if you block most RBs look good, except we don't block well, don't draft good blockers, and sure as **** don't develop them.

Chet
01-23-2023, 07:17 AM
The game has passed defensive HC’s by.

sahlensguy
01-23-2023, 07:41 AM
The game has passed defensive HC’s by.

Simple as that. Especially with a rookie OC who basically flopped.

It's not a winning formula going forward.