PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller expects to be ready to play by early August

Woodman
01-24-2023, 09:38 AM
https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/1/23/23568042/von-miller-injury-acl-recovery-timeline-2023-training-camp-preseason-buffalo-bills

Miller originally thought he had some lateral meniscus damage, and hoped he would be able to brace up and return to play by Week 11 — just 17 days removed from the injury. Instead, on December 1, the Bills decided to place him on injured reserve and give his knee time to rest.
On December 7, Miller had exploratory surgery done with the intention of re-positioning the meniscus and cleaning up some cartilage. As we now know, however, that wasn’t all that the medical staff found while Miller was on the table in Dallas.

Woodman
01-24-2023, 05:40 PM
Damn could we use him.

Here's hoping he returns better than ever!

Woodman
02-03-2023, 04:36 PM
During his press conference on the morning after the Bills were eliminated from the NFL playoffs (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-playoffs), Miller also said he had no intention of this being the last run this team made at a Super Bowl (https://www.sbnation.com/super-bowl).

“We’re in a unique spot here. We got a great football team. Sometimes you gotta just keep playing. Sometimes you gotta just line up and give us another year to go through it again,” he said, indicating that he is going to be ready to make another run at a championship. “I didn’t feel like this was my one shot. The way this team was built, I came here to have multiple shots at winning the Super Bowl. I still feel like that.”

ParanoidAndroid
02-04-2023, 02:58 PM
If we can get him back and have a diverse pass rush (someone needs to emerge opposite him) and then invest in an O-line, we could win the whole thing.

Epenesa and Basham are just fringe rotation guys. Rousseau has to make another jump but I'm not counting on it.

It's clear Ed Oliver isn't going to be what we thought he could be and I hope we draft a 3-tech to threaten his position on the depth chart.

In short, the only must keep D-linemen are Von, DQ, and Rousseau. Everyone else is expendable, although I'd like Phillips back to play limited snaps.

Tim Settle is marginally better than our PS DT's.

Goobylal
02-04-2023, 03:34 PM
I believe it.

kgun12
02-04-2023, 06:08 PM
You all realize he is 34.5 years old an he is under contract FOREVER! He talks a great game but he’s getting more injury prone ever year. This might have been the year, but he becomes a liability moving forward! Please don’t rework his contract, he is not an asset anymore!

sukie
02-04-2023, 07:18 PM
8 sacks in 12 games. 10 TFL. Not a bad showing.

in 13 games, Rousseau had 8 sacks 14 TFL

kgun12
02-04-2023, 07:42 PM
8 sacks in 12 games. 10 TFL. Not a bad showing.

in 13 games, Rousseau had 8 sacks 14 TFL

And then he got hurt when we needed him most and he’s 34 and a half. He’s not going to be an asset moving forward! He might be the worst contract in Bills history, he’s not getting any younger and he is VERY EXPENSIVE!

kgun12
02-04-2023, 07:46 PM
If you all want to complain about any move we’ve made to win a SB this signing is it!

ParanoidAndroid
02-04-2023, 10:54 PM
Our pass rush was noticeably better when he was on the field.

When that is no longer the case, then we have a problem.

We can win games using him sparingly so as to keep him fresh.

We need him in the playoffs.

kgun12
02-05-2023, 10:12 AM

I don’t disagree with this, I just think we made a bad deal at his age and for the length and amount we gave him.

I’d rather have gotten Bradley Chubb or Rowland Smith, younger and cheaper.

Woodman
02-05-2023, 11:17 AM
I don’t disagree with this, I just think we made a bad deal at his age and for the length and amount we gave him.

I’d rather have gotten Bradley Chubb or Rowland Smith, younger and cheaper.

Love the player not the money dished out and definitely not the age.

kgun12
02-05-2023, 11:27 AM
Love the player not the money dished out and definitely not the age.

That’s all I’m sayin. If we would have traded for Chubb or Raquan Smith and offered half the money, they’d have jumped all over it.

Woodman
02-05-2023, 11:36 AM
That’s all I’m sayin. If we would have traded for Chubb or Raquan Smith and offered half the money, they’d have jumped all over it.

Von 3 years earlier might been a different story ..... :gobills:

kgun12
02-05-2023, 02:55 PM
Von 3 years earlier might been a different story ..... :gobills:

For sure!

imbondz
02-06-2023, 09:02 AM
Von Miller scares QBs and causes them to constantly keep an eye on him. It did feel like Miller only showed up at the end of games but still glad we have him for at least one more year.

Woodman
02-06-2023, 09:43 AM
Von Miller scares QBs and causes them to constantly keep an eye on him. It did feel like Miller only showed up at the end of games but still glad we have him for at least one more year.

Love him if he can make an impact ..... my guess he's got 1 maybe 2 years left.

I've said it before I would love to have had him 3 years ago.

Provided he heals perfectly and works his ass off how many years does he have left IYO?

kgun12
02-06-2023, 12:55 PM

I agree, but so does Chubb and Smith.

notacon
02-06-2023, 01:27 PM

Huh???? There is zero reason the believe that Bradly Chubb and/or Roquan Smith would look kindly on being "offered half the money", and it is beyond any reasoning in the real world that "they’d have jumped all over it”.

What have you been drinking??? :D:

Besides the fact that trading for either of them would cost a bundle in draft capital as well (Von Miller cost zero).

Denver traded Chubb (and a 2025 5th round pick) in Nov 2022 to Miami for RB Chase Edmunds, a 2023 first round pick and a 2024 4th round pick. And then signed him to a HUGE contract for $110M for 5 years ($22M APY) with $63.M guaranteed.

He had 5.5 sacks with Denver in 2022 in 8 games and only 2.5 sacks with Miami in the same 8 games. He really had only one great year, 2018 (12 sacks) and has not performed nearly as well as Von Miller....age or not.

Von Miller’s worst season for sacks (PGA) was better than every season of Chubb’s except his first.

The only reason that Roquan Smith was traded was because he wanted a HUGE contract, that Chicago was unwilling to pay. He was traded to Baltimore for AJ Klein, a 2023 2nd round pick and a 2023 4th round ick.

Baltimore then signed him to a huge contract that made him the highest paid LB in the NFL....five year $100M ($20M APY) with $45M “fully guaranteed” with $60M in total guarantees.

Why in the world would they accept being offered “half the money”????

Plus, the fact is that neither of them are as good as Von Miller, even at his age. Spending multiple draft picks AND a huge contract does not make any sense.

sukie
02-06-2023, 01:42 PM
Yeah the Avon is done mantra is silly. Obviously far and away the best player on the D when on the field.
age didn’t tear the ACL…

kgun12
02-06-2023, 03:42 PM
Huh???? There is zero reason the believe that Bradly Chubb and/or Roquan Smith would look kindly on being "offered half the money", and it is beyond any reasoning in the real world that "they’d have jumped all over it”.

What have you been drinking??? :D:

Besides the fact that trading for either of them would cost a bundle in draft capital as well (Von Miller cost zero).

Denver traded Chubb (and a 2025 5th round pick) in Nov 2022 to Miami for RB Chase Edmunds, a 2023 first round pick and a 2024 4th round pick. And then signed him to a HUGE contract for $110M for 5 years ($22M APY) with $63.M guaranteed.

He had 5.5 sacks with Denver in 2022 in 8 games and only 2.5 sacks with Miami in the same 8 games. He really had only one great year, 2018 (12 sacks) and has not performed nearly as well as Von Miller....age or not.

Von Miller’s worst season for sacks (PGA) was better than every season of Chubb’s except his first.

The only reason that Roquan Smith was traded was because he wanted a HUGE contract, that Chicago was unwilling to pay. He was traded to Baltimore for AJ Klein, a 2023 2nd round pick and a 2023 4th round ick.

Baltimore then signed him to a huge contract that made him the highest paid LB in the NFL....five year $100M ($20M APY) with $45M “fully guaranteed” with $60M in total guarantees.

Why in the world would they accept being offered “half the money”????

Plus, the fact is that neither of them are as good as Von Miller, even at his age. Spending multiple draft picks AND a huge contract does not make any sense.

Okay I had the money wrong, I'll admit that. However you conveniently didn't add Vonn's number which aren't that differant: 6 yrs 120,000,00, ($22 APY) $45,000,000 “fully guaranteed”, $51,435,000 total guaranted. Miller is 33 years 325 days old, Smith is 25 years 310 day old, and Chubb is 26 years 233 days old. I'll stand by my statement, I would rather have either one of them moving forward.The main difference are the draft picks but I would have giving them up fpor either player.

kgun12
02-07-2023, 10:39 AM
Okay I had the money wrong, I'll admit that. However you conveniently didn't add Vonn's number which aren't that differant: 6 yrs 120,000,00, ($22 APY) $45,000,000 “fully guaranteed”, $51,435,000 total guaranted. Miller is 33 years 325 days old, Smith is 25 years 310 day old, and Chubb is 26 years 233 days old. I'll stand by my statement, I would rather have either one of them moving forward.The main difference are the draft picks but I would have giving them up fpor either player.

I’ll add this to that^. If you want to be up the difference in their stats, you have to look at what teams they played for and how good or bad they were. Miller played on two SB teams, Smith and Chubbs teams played on crap teams.
As far as draft picks I’ll ask this, who would you rather have drafted? Smith, Chubbs, Basham, Espenesa, or Rousseau? Or how about this, which two of those 5 would you rather have on the Bills right now.

Woodman
02-07-2023, 11:40 AM
I’ll add this to that^. If you want to be up the difference in their stats, you have to look at what teams they played for and how good or bad they were. Miller played on two SB teams, Smith and Chubbs teams played on crap teams.
As far as draft picks I’ll ask this, who would you rather have drafted? Smith, Chubbs, Basham, Espenesa, or Rousseau? Or how about this, which two of those 5 would you rather have on the Bills right now.

I'm down to which 2 of 3 ..... Smith, Chubbs and Rousseau?

notacon
02-07-2023, 02:21 PM

Von Miller is worth all that, even at his age. Chubb is not. Von Miller is MUCH better than Chubb ever was or ever will be. No thanks. Miami can have him. He’s a non-factor. He pretty much disappeared it the Miami defense. Jealan Phillips is the valuable DE for them.

Smith plays a different position altogether and does not fill the role that Miller does. Even if he did, Von Miller is better. Even at Miller’s age.

And I totally disagree about the draft picks. Both Miami and Baltimore overpaid. Although Baltimore is a better fit for Smith than Chubb is for Miami.

I respect your "I'll stand by my statement, I would rather have either one of them moving forward”, I just do not agree with it in any way, shape or form.

I’d rather have Von Miller. Hands down over both of those players, especially considering the loss of draft picks, which are more valuable to a team like Buffalo, with an elite franchise QB eating up over 17% of the cap space.

sukie
02-07-2023, 02:22 PM
Above…. Totally agree.

jamze132
02-08-2023, 02:33 AM
I honestly don’t expect anything out of Von Miller going forward other than in the locker room. He’s not going to have the burst he had and he’ll probably be hurt again anyways. He’s had a great career…too bad we couldn’t have drafted him.

kgun12
02-08-2023, 03:17 PM
I honestly don’t expect anything out of Von Miller going forward other than in the locker room. He’s not going to have the burst he had and he’ll probably be hurt again anyways. He’s had a great career…too bad we couldn’t have drafted him.

I’m not quite this pessimistic, but almost. His age is a huge issue, I hope you’re wrong but I don’t think so.

Woodman
02-08-2023, 07:26 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M5Z9-QCmZyw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe we just imagined it all!

EDS
02-12-2023, 03:16 PM
Von is a hall of famer and looked good this past season but there absolutely is a risk that, due to age and/or injury, he is no longer a viable pass rushing option going forward. Bills just need to account for that and not put all their eggs in one basket. Won't be easy of course unless some of the recent draft picks level up.

EDS
02-12-2023, 03:33 PM
In retrospect the smart signing would have been Haason Reddick. No where near the career of Von but Reddick is a good bet to make his contract seem like a bargain (year one has obviously been a win for Philly).

Woodman
02-12-2023, 09:41 PM
In retrospect the smart signing would have been Haason Reddick. No where near the career of Von but Reddick is a good bet to make his contract seem like a bargain (year one has obviously been a win for Philly).

he's a good one for damn sure.