PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Davis Catch Rate is Hideous

BuffaloBlitz83
01-26-2023, 10:31 AM
This has to be one of the lowest in nfl for a starter. I saw his career average is 53%. Diggs Career catch rate is 70% and Beasely career is 71%.

Forward_Lateral
01-26-2023, 10:33 AM
The NFL avg, according to stat muse, was 63% last year.

Now, I'm not sure if this is catches in relation to targets, or catches in relation to balls that hit their hands.

Woodman
01-26-2023, 10:37 AM
Do any of those percentages reflect when the QB overthrows or throws the pass away?

BuffaloBlitz83
01-26-2023, 10:45 AM
Do any of those percentages reflect when the QB overthrows or throws the pass away?

Catchable targets I believe

Woodman
01-26-2023, 10:50 AM
Catchable targets I believe

So basically it's a drops number.

I know he's capable of better numbers.

I don't recall if he had any injury issues.

This is his contract year so we can expect better numbers.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2023, 11:07 AM
Dropping the TD in the endzone vs Miami and the 70 yard bomb vs the Jets that hit him in the face did not help.

Bills would have had the bye if he catches either one of those.

sukie
01-26-2023, 11:28 AM
I said year 1 he’d be out of football by 2024.

peeps were all over me. Truth is I just took the average 5 year career for an NFL player and came up with 2024 for Gabe.

One good wide open KC playoff game doth not make a career. If he’s cheap then keep him but he isnt getting a new contract here. Maybe Daboll will make me wrong and sign him as a free agent next offseason

kgun12
01-26-2023, 11:31 AM
But it’s all Josh’s fault!

OpIv37
01-26-2023, 11:37 AM
WR's were supposed to be a strength but really weren't. Crowder got hurt early. McKenzie is meh. Shakir looked like a rookie.

The biggest disappointment was Davis. In 2021, he clearly improved over the course of the season and it looked like that 4 TD game against the Chiefs was his coming out party. Then, in 2022, he was awful.

Diggs is still great, but beyond him, it's pretty average.

sukie
01-26-2023, 11:49 AM
WR's were supposed to be a strength but really weren't. Crowder got hurt early. McKenzie is meh. Shakir looked like a rookie.

The biggest disappointment was Davis. In 2021, he clearly improved over the course of the season and it looked like that 4 TD game against the Chiefs was his coming out party. Then, in 2022, he was awful.

Which team(s) do you consider average and let’s compare WR 2-4

k-oneputt
01-26-2023, 11:50 AM

Can’t fiqure that statement out.
‘This team is 7-10 without Josh with multiple qb’s injured behind that o-line.

notacon
01-26-2023, 11:51 AM
Opi is right. Davis was the biggest disappointment. He is not even close to a viable and reliable #2 WR.

He is better suited #3 or #4.

The Bills led the league in drops (34), and Davis led the team with nine of them.

sukie
01-26-2023, 11:53 AM
Took this as sarcastic all the way.

sukie
01-26-2023, 11:54 AM
Opi is right. Davis was the biggest disappointment. He is not even close to a viable and reliable #2 WR.

He is better suited #3 or #4.

The Bills led the league in drops (34), and Davis led the team with nine of them.

I looked at NO Saints

WR 2 was actually a RB as far as yards and completions

after that the group was better than Davis McK Shakir

kgun12
01-26-2023, 11:55 AM
Took this as sarcastic all the way.

We have a winner! If it wasn’t for Josh we would we looking at a top 5 draft pick!

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2023, 11:59 AM
I thought the target stat was simply that the receiver was the closest to the ball in the air.

I was not aware that they had to be "catchable."

Also, "catchable" is pretty subjective. I don't like subjective data.

Is there a degree of "catchability?" Like, was it kinda catchable or was it really super easy catchable?

Wouldn't a catchable ball that isn't caught be tallied as a drop?

If that is the case, then drops plus catches would equal targets minus passes defensed.

I think targets that aren't catches can be either inaccurate throws, drops or passes defensed.

Typ0
01-26-2023, 12:05 PM

I like our WRs but they don't make-up a good squad -- the mix isn't right. We need one guy who is super speed for example. Just give us some blazing speed to spread the defense out more. Give us someone else with size and physicality...

It feels like we have 5 capable slot receivers .... then we need to go out and get Beasley to 'get the band back together'. Folks, you have to start recognizing the pattern of dysfunction that is happening on our team and stop making excuses for the laisse-faire coaching and lack of direction and discipline.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2023, 12:09 PM
Davonte Adams had a 55.6% catch rate according to Lineups (180 targets and 100 catches.)

Anyone else giving this the side eye?

sukie
01-26-2023, 12:09 PM
I thought the target stat was simply that the receiver was the closest to the ball in the air.

I was not aware that they had to be "catchable."

Also, "catchable" is pretty subjective. I don't like subjective data.

Is there a degree of "catchability?" Like, was it kinda catchable or was it really super easy catchable?

Wouldn't a catchable ball that isn't caught be tallied as a drop?

If that is the case, then drops plus catches would equal targets minus passes defensed.

I think targets that aren't catches can be either inaccurate throws, drops or passes defensed.

You are overthinking it. Davis dropped a ton. Hands on ball or off chest…

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2023, 12:23 PM
No. I'm questioning the stat and the post that alluded to how targets mean the ball was catchable.

I'm not arguing that Gabe wasn't a disappointment this year.

He was and he had key drops.

I simply mean that target % isn't all on the WR.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2023, 12:27 PM
I think part of the issue is scheme and his role in it.

Lots of contested balls on deep throws.

This passing attack never had rhythm like it did under Daboll.

kgun12
01-26-2023, 12:30 PM
No. I'm questioning the stat and the post that alluded to how targets mean the ball was catchable.

Yet Diggs has no problem.

sukie
01-26-2023, 12:31 PM

Could it be poor route running or crappy routes to run?

BuffaloBlitz83
01-26-2023, 01:43 PM

Why is it so much lower than Beasely and Diggs. Not close.

Khalil Shakir’s numbers. Including the postseason, he dropped two passes on 21 targets, one being an overturned catch in Sunday’s Wild Cardgame.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-26-2023, 01:44 PM

The percentage on Gabe was his career. Not this year alone

sahlensguy
01-26-2023, 01:52 PM
Davonte Adams had a 55.6% catch rate according to Lineups (180 targets and 100 catches.)

Anyone else giving this the side eye?

Davis did not pass the eye test.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2023, 01:52 PM
David would have caused a drop or INT on that 98 yarder that Fitzpatrick caught for him.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2023, 02:07 PM
Why is it so much lower than Beasely and Diggs. Not close.

He doesn't get short crossers. He gets low percentage deep/intermediate routes. Your slot guy better have a higher catch rate since he's running 5 and 10-yard routes. Beasley had one of the worst drops of the year vs Miami. Diggs is a top 5 WR in this league.

Yet Diggs has no problem.

Diggs is one of the best receivers in the league and his numbers fell off a cliff as the year went on. Gabe started this season hot if you remember.

The percentage on Gabe was his career. Not this year alone
As for a career, players develop in a system. Gabe will have these amazing toe drag catches and then drop the next one. Why we aren't using him underneath as a big bodied outlet more often is beyond me.

Our receivers constantly have to adjust to throws and never get yac.

Why is that?
This is simply one of those instances on this forum where we overreact.

Davis is a decent WR and we wanted him to be great.

He didn't deliver but I also don't think we should be looking at his catch per target rate to try to say he's terrible.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2023, 02:10 PM
David would have caused a drop or INT on that 98 yarder that Fitzpatrick caught for him.
That wasn't the 98 yarder. That was his second bomb later in the game. That ball was thrown into a contested situation that Gabe won. It was an excellent play by Gabe so, I'm not sure what your point is, here.

Typ0
01-26-2023, 02:11 PM
He doesn't get short crossers. He gets low percentage deep/intermediate routes. Your slot guy better have a higher catch rate since he's running 5 and 10-yard routes. Beasley had one of the worst drops of the year vs Miami. Diggs is a top 5 WR in this league.

Diggs is one of the best receivers in the league and his numbers fell off a cliff as the year went on. Gabe started this season hot if you remember.

As for a career, players develop in a system. Gabe will have these amazing toe drag catches and then drop the next one. Why we aren't using him underneath as a big bodied outlet more often is beyond me.

Our receivers constantly have to adjust to throws and never get yac.

Why is that?
This is simply one of those instances on this forum where we overreact.

Davis is a decent WR and we wanted him to be great.

He didn't deliver but I also don't think we should be looking at his catch per target rate to try to say he's terrible.

That's our whole team though ... focused on the huge stuff and can't seem to execute simple little football ****. There is a lot of simple little football **** we don't even do ... it must be magic coaching that exempts us.

ParanoidAndroid
01-26-2023, 02:12 PM
That's our whole team though ... focused on the huge stuff and can't seem to execute simple little football ****. There is a lot of simple little football **** we don't even do ... it must be magic coaching that exempts us.
This is a good take. 100% agree. This team is inconsistent as hell.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2023, 03:24 PM
That wasn't the 98 yarder. That was his second bomb later in the game. That ball was thrown into a contested situation that Gabe won. It was an excellent play by Gabe so, I'm not sure what your point is, here.

Thanks, mixed them up.

Gabe tipped the ball, Fitzpatrick actually was the one who caught it, Gabe made a great play to make up for his mistake and ripped the ball away.

Mace
01-26-2023, 03:29 PM

The passing attack had a rhythm like Aerosmith's version of "Train Kept a Rollin'" ......up until the bye. After that it became a lawnmower in grass that's too high for it.

Historian
01-26-2023, 04:17 PM
It is if it hits him between the 1 and the 3 and he drops it.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2023, 04:44 PM
It is if it hits him between the 1 and the 3 and he drops it.

So the one in the Jets game that hit him in the face and the 1 in the Miami game that hit him in the hands do not count as drops?

YardRat
01-26-2023, 06:55 PM
A lot of that is on Josh. Take the shorter, open route more often. A little more surgery, a little less chuck it deep and hope the receiver comes down withe ball.

Woodman
01-26-2023, 07:00 PM
Always take what they're handing out for free.

Typ0
01-26-2023, 07:42 PM
A lot of that is on Josh. Take the shorter, open route more often. A little more surgery, a little less chuck it deep and hope the receiver comes down withe ball.

It's either:

a) that's what he was coached to do.

b) when he starts doing it the coach does something to rectify it.

c) the coaches have very little control of the team. Things are disorganized and haphazard. It causes a lot of communication issues and dysfunction.

which is is?

Ingtar33
01-26-2023, 08:23 PM

I saw the rate of catches on different depths... 5-10 11-20, so on and so forth. he has legit the lowest catch rate of any WR at pretty much every depth of pass in the NFL, meanwhile diggs is at the top of the list, and beasley with buffalo is at or higher then his career average.

meaning?

JA isn't the problem, the problem is davis has hands of stone.

btw: mckenzie isn't much different.

and it's not just the hands that arre the problem, mckenzie and davis regularly run the worst routes I've ever seen, sometimes the wrong ones but often just bad routes. It ruins the whole play as drawn up if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. it makes your QB play hero ball, because he just looked to you, planning to throw it because it's a cover 3 look and your route should be open, but you ran such an awful route, you're not in the right place and are covered... now JA has a pocket collapsing and he needs to start to run for it. Don't get me wrong, JA sometimes doesn't see the field right, but it's a lot less common then you'd think, the wrs running terrible routes however is an every play problem. it's why JA got Beasley and Brown back. He couldn't handle those two numbskulls ****ing it up every down.

Frenchman
01-26-2023, 08:38 PM
A lot has to do with the rise of Stefon Diggs and also in the lack of effort.

sahlensguy
01-26-2023, 08:46 PM
I saw the rate of catches on different depths... 5-10 11-20, so on and so forth. he has legit the lowest catch rate of any WR at pretty much every depth of pass in the NFL, meanwhile diggs is at the top of the list, and beasley with buffalo is at or higher then his career average.

meaning?

JA isn't the problem, the problem is davis has hands of stone.

btw: mckenzie isn't much different.

and it's not just the hands that arre the problem, mckenzie and davis regularly run the worst routes I've ever seen, sometimes the wrong ones but often just bad routes. It ruins the whole play as drawn up if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. it makes your QB play hero ball, because he just looked to you, planning to throw it because it's a cover 3 look and your route should be open, but you ran such an awful route, you're not in the right place and are covered... now JA has a pocket collapsing and he needs to start to run for it. Don't get me wrong, JA sometimes doesn't see the field right, but it's a lot less common then you'd think, the wrs running terrible routes however is an every play problem. it's why JA got Beasley and Brown back. He couldn't handle those two numbskulls ****ing it up every down.

How do you see Knox's route running? Knox had the one td where Allen waved him to go inside, but went outside where he received a frozen rope anyway.

Ingtar33
01-26-2023, 10:30 PM
How do you see Knox's route running? Knox had the one td where Allen waved him to go inside, but went outside where he received a frozen rope anyway.

knox's releases aren't great; he doesn't get off the line well if he's jammed, and he doesn't get off the line well if he's asked to chip... and he usually does a poor job chipping as well. outside of that he's usually alright. He doesn't adjust to being a hot read very well, and sometimes just runs his route rather then give JA a target when he probably should be the no.1 or 2 hot option. If he did that better he'd probably be a 80 catch a year guy.

YardRat
01-27-2023, 05:35 AM
It's either:

a) that's what he was coached to do.

b) when he starts doing it the coach does something to rectify it.

c) the coaches have very little control of the team. Things are disorganized and haphazard. It causes a lot of communication issues and dysfunction.

which is is?

a) Every play in the book that gets thrown a C1 or C0 shell at it is going to have a deep option for the outside receivers and who runs it depends on what side the safety is shading to. Obviously teams are going to shade toward Diggs, that means Davis is going to read and run more deep routes. It's still up to the QB to read that route first and if the receiver isn't wide open from the beginning to go through his progressions to a shorter route.

b) The only thing a coach can do is reinforce the shorter routes are open via in-game communication, pregame study and post-game film review. It's still on the QB to make the proper read and throw in real time. I'm pretty confident the coaches have given Josh the green light to go for it if he sees it, but it's still Allen's call. Unless you want the coaches to take the deep shots completely out of the playbook or bench Josh, those are really the only other options.

c) I have no idea why this is even an option because there is zero evidence to support the possibility. Nothing.

The answer is d)...Josh needs to make better decisions with the football, plain and simple.

yordad
01-27-2023, 11:38 AM
The NFL avg, according to stat muse, was 63% last year.

Now, I'm not sure if this is catches in relation to targets, or catches in relation to balls that hit their hands.

targets