• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Officiating Has Never Been Better

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said recently that he thinks the league's best referees have left the game in order to make more money by working as officiating analysts for the league's broadcasting partners and that topic came up during NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's press conference in…

“When you look at officiating, I don’t think it’s ever been better in the league,” Goodell said. “There are over 42,000 plays in a season and multiple infractions could occur on any play. Take that out, extrapolate that. That’s hundreds, if not millions, of potential fouls. Our officials do an extraordinary job of getting those. Are there mistakes in the context of that? Yes. They are not perfect and officiating never will (be perfect).”

Goodell said that the league hears criticism of officials, but wants to “look at the facts” when it comes to the quality of officiating of the league and that the league will continue to work to get better by holding officials to a high standard.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Officiating Has Never Been Better

he's an idiot.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
      he's an idiot.
      Wait an expert says the officials have never been better so we have to believe him, right?
      Last edited by kgun12; 02-08-2023, 09:44 PM.
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
        he's an idiot.
        Of course he's an idiot ..... it's what he does best.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

He needs to go.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            He needs to go.
            Like Hoffa

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Ok, he wants to look at the facts.... where are his "facts" that the officiating has never been better?
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Watching the Bills game this year, I actually agree with him. Much more leeway with not calling PI which is a huge blessing. Less holding calls on the OL which is nice.

The only issue I see is the roughing the passer fouls.

It appears as though the refs were instructed to let the players actually play more and I think that was reflected this year.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  Watching the Bills game this year, I actually agree with him. Much more leeway with not calling PI which is a huge blessing. Less holding calls on the OL which is nice.

The only issue I see is the roughing the passer fouls.

It appears as though the refs were instructed to let the players actually play more and I think that was reflected this year.
                  I would agree with you that they let them play more but disagree that the officiating was better. There were several games where I thought the officiating was all around terrible- not biased against the Bills but just bad for both teams.

Of course, we could argue all day and we won't get anywhere because neither of us really have any facts or evidence to back it up- we're just stating what our opinion of the officiating was when we were watching the games.

Also, I don't know about you but I rarely watch full games when the Bills aren't playing. I'll flip around the Sunday afternoon games, and for night games, I'll check in while I'm watching something else, and if it's a close game I'll watch the end. The point is that I only watched a tiny fraction of all the football that was played in 2022. So, the officiating in the football that I watched may not be representative of the overall officiating.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    I would agree with you that they let them play more but disagree that the officiating was better. There were several games where I thought the officiating was all around terrible- not biased against the Bills but just bad for both teams.

Of course, we could argue all day and we won't get anywhere because neither of us really have any facts or evidence to back it up- we're just stating what our opinion of the officiating was when we were watching the games.

Also, I don't know about you but I rarely watch full games when the Bills aren't playing. I'll flip around the Sunday afternoon games, and for night games, I'll check in while I'm watching something else, and if it's a close game I'll watch the end. The point is that I only watched a tiny fraction of all the football that was played in 2022. So, the officiating in the football that I watched may not be representative of the overall officiating.
                    I barely watch the Bills games as is, so no I don’t watch any other NFL football.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

Seeing how atrocious some of the bull**** calls and non-calls went in the Bills games. I could only imagine all the bull**** calls or missed calls in all the other games.

Comment

• kgun12
                        • Jul 2002

Just rewatch the AFC Championship game, the Bengals were called for everything, the Chiefs not nearly as much. I seen some ticky tacky holding calls on one team especially after a big play, and in the same game a d-lineman get assaulted by the other team and nothing called.
                        Retired Air Traffic Controller
                        USAF VETERAN
                        DAV

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

NFL officiating is an extremely difficult and almost impossible job.

What I have seen over the years (60 years of watching football) is that the officials are amazing in their ability to call the overwhelming majority of plays extremely accurately....in real time....in the fast moving world of the NFL.

With the benefit of replay after replay after replay, from every angle and slowed down and enhanced (which the officials do not have when they make their calls)....all of those tools we (as fans) have STILL show them to get the calls right an overwhelming percentage of times.

With that said, they are still bound by the rules as written and video replay system can stand some improvement.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

The blatantly terrible calls have degraded from a couple or few a season to at least 2 or 3 weekly during my lifetime, watching football seriously for 52 years. Game altering calls or not even competent calls. It needs to be addressed with empowered replay officials not trying to coddle bumbling crews on the field, imho, and Goodell needs to acknowledge it. I won't say he doesn't recognize it because it's ridiculous if he's paying any attention.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

“When you look at officiating, I don’t think it’s ever been better in the league,” Goodell said.

Owners pay him 48 Mil a year to say that with a straight face.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X