PDA

View Full Version : Daboll Coach of the Year

Woodman
02-10-2023, 09:42 AM
Wow 1st year out!

https://www.nfl.com/news/giants-head-coach-brian-daboll-named-ap-nfl-coach-of-the-year-after-leading-big-#:~:text=Brian%20Daboll's%20first%20season%20as,during%20NFL%20Honors%20in%20Phoenix.

Daboll won a close race with 16 first-place votes and 123 total votes, just ahead of San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan's 100 total points and 12 first-place tallies. Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Pederson (75 points; five first-place nods) took third. The Bills' Sean McDermott (48; seven), Eagles' Nick Sirianni (45; six), Vikings' Kevin O'Connell (23; one), Lions' Dan Campbell (15; one) and Chiefs' Andy Reid (10; two) also got first-place votes.

Woodman
02-10-2023, 09:53 AM
Thought it would be Shanahan but congrats to Brian!!

sukie
02-10-2023, 11:03 AM
As great a debut season Daboll had Pederson had to DeUrban that team and did it so quickly.

kgun12
02-10-2023, 11:15 AM
As great a debut season Daboll had Pederson had to DeUrban that team and did it so quickly.

Congrats to Daboll, Perderson would have good choice as well. The difference to me was Pederson had a lot more talent to start with than Daboll.

Historian
02-10-2023, 11:37 AM
....and next year they'll go 6-11 again.

sukie
02-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Congrats to Daboll, Perderson would have good choice as well. The difference to me was Pederson had a lot more talent to start with than Daboll.

Barkley, Hodgins, they disposed of Toney to KC because they had too much talent.

notacon
02-10-2023, 01:19 PM
Congrats to Brian Daboll. An honor he richly deserves.

It reminds me of all the bellyaching, whining, b****ing and moaning on what a terrible OC Daboll was for Buffalo and hope that he would go away. (Just like we are seeing now for Dorsey).

And when he was hired as HC, some were saying he was destined to fail.

Unfortunately, those posts have been lost forever, but the memory is strong. And those posters know who they are.

Typ0
02-10-2023, 01:24 PM
Daboll had problems with McDermott last season and went on to pretty handily outcoach him this season. Hmmmmm.....

imbondz
02-10-2023, 01:32 PM

lmao. Yep

imbondz
02-10-2023, 01:34 PM
Daboll had problems with McDermott last season and went on to pretty handily outcoach him this season. Hmmmmm.....
Disagree totally. I know we have McDermott issues until he takes us to the promised land but all the crap we went thru this year he did very good until the last (2) game(s).

Typ0
02-10-2023, 01:38 PM
Disagree totally. I know we have McDermott issues until he takes us to the promised land but all the crap we went thru this year he did very good until the last (2) game(s).

With the best roster in the league to work with and a top 3 QB.

What did Brian Daboll have to work with?

ticatfan
02-10-2023, 01:39 PM
Canadian-born head coach Brian Daboll has been named the Associated Press 2022 NFL Coach of the Year for his efforts in turning around the New York Giants.

In his first season at the helm in the Big Apple, Daboll led the Giants to their first winning record since 2016 and their first playoff win in over a decade. New York finished the season with a 9-7-1 record, upsetting the Minnesota Vikings in the Wild Card round.

Both quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley had career years in Daboll’s offence. New York finished with the league’s fourth-best rushing offence with 148.2 rushing yards per game and averaged more than 20 points per game (21.5) for the first time in two seasons.

The 46-year-old Daboll was born in Welland, Ontario, before moving to nearby West Seneca, New York to be raised by his grandparents. He is just the second Canadian-born head coach in the history of the NFL following British Columbia-born, Michigan-raised Tommy Hughitt, who was the player-coach of the Buffalo All-Americans/Bisons from 1920 to 1924.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/09/canadian-born-new-york-giants-head-coach-brian-daboll-wins-nfl-coach-of-the-year/

Typ0
02-10-2023, 01:41 PM
People have to stop making and using excuses and stop being blinded by what you want to be true. McDermott provides continued evidence of doing the same thing over and over and being committed to following through with the same thing over and over. He doublespeaks on a regular basis which is a culture killer.

He's not learning how to be a head coach.

Woodman
02-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Barkley, Hodgins, they disposed of Toney to KC because they had too much talent.

Don't wanna overdue it. :D

That would just be showing off.

Woodman
02-10-2023, 02:24 PM
Exactly :D

Mace
02-10-2023, 03:50 PM
Congrats to Daboll, he earned it imho with a challenged roster.

His season told me he has more than he was able to show here, which to me means he had constraints, and those constraints would have come from McDermott.

Giants will depend on their drafts and pro personnel dept to grow. The coaching, Daboll and his staff, seem to have the vision.

Bill Cody
02-10-2023, 04:19 PM
This shows how much coaching matters. Daniel Jones is not a great QB. But under Joe Judge he looked like trash. Daboll got miles more out of Daniel Jones this year. Well done Daboll. That alone was worth coach of the year votes. Add in making the playoffs with mediocre talent and Daboll is well deserving of the honor.

Btw on a similar note Mac Jones went from his rookie year working with Josh McDaniels as looking like an up and coming QB to trash last year under Matt Patricia and Joe Judge. Joe Judge is the common denominator. And NE has not fired him. I don't know what his role will be next year but he should be canned.

Turf
02-10-2023, 09:03 PM
I don't think he is. I think he was lucky. He took chances early in the season with questionable end of game aggressive play calling because he was in a no lose situation. It won't be like that next year. Reid should be COTY. Just because Dorsey isn't ready doesn't mean Daboll is so good. The D sucks in the big games.

YardRat
02-11-2023, 05:41 AM

That is very likely, but if the culture sticks and Schoen is at least average at acquiring talent (like Beane) they should be set up nicely for a few years.

With the best roster in the league to work with and a top 3 QB.

What did Brian Daboll have to work with?
Probably not less than McDermott had his first year here, and in a tougher division.

Night Train
02-11-2023, 07:00 AM
Projecting. Giants were better but very marginal. Now they may lose a lot of FA players in the off-season. We'll see. Spare me the romantic narratives.

Award traditionally goes to a coach who improves a team from a D team to a B- and a winning record. Publicity and promotion. Especially this year with a NYC area team.

Woodman
02-11-2023, 08:18 AM
I think he was lucky. He took chances early in the season with questionable end of game aggressive play calling because he was in a no lose situation.
He gambled and was fortunate that's true ..... he recognized that he really had nothing to lose, because nobody expected anything from the Giants this year.