PDA

View Full Version : To replace Edmunds, PFF suggests.....

Mace
02-11-2023, 05:51 PM
Leighton Vander Esch, bad idea, chronic neck issue.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/10/pff-suggests-potential-free-agent-replacement-for-bills-tremaine-edmunds/

FA list : https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/inside-linebacker/

DraftBoy
02-11-2023, 05:52 PM
That doesn’t seem like an ideal replacement.

sukie
02-11-2023, 05:54 PM
Similar coming out of the combine.

Goobylal
02-11-2023, 06:02 PM
Vander Esch plays where Edmunds should have been playing: OLB. Not a replacement.

Mace
02-11-2023, 06:11 PM
Vander Esch plays where Edmunds should have been playing: OLB. Not a replacement.

He's an inside lb, mlb, but brittle and still not a replacement.

Cali512
02-11-2023, 06:58 PM

Hes a MLB by structure. If it wasnt for injuries he would be a prototype MLB

I still believe we shouldve let milano walk, had edmunds play his roll, and then drafted a MLB

Edmunds best strength is tracking down outside runners and covering seams, he can do that on the outside. Even people claiming that our defense doesnt have a true MLB should notice that there is a benefit to him not having the responsibility of the whole center field

His 2 worse traits are one, taking on interior lineman and play recognition. The best way to minimize this is giving him less field to be responsible for. On the outside he could use his speed and ability to follow tight ends way more than roaming the center field

The protype for this defense is Zach Brown. 6-4, fast, and a strong interior presence. Edmunds isnt good on the goaline because he usually picks the wrong gaps or gets pushed backwards

He would be very good in milanos position where he has the freedom and less responsibility. Our defense is a weird stupid defense though. From what ive read and seen, apparently edmunds primary responsibility on every play is to drift towards the middle (at least thats everyones excuse for poor run d), and we depend on the interior DL for inside runs and CBs as essentially the edge linebackers.

Our defense rarely runs man, its edmunds in the middle controlling passing lanes, CBs/safeties passing responsibilities off one another, and milano blitzing or picking up TEs or RBs

this is why you see us having a lot of issues with passes being thrown in between defenders or checkdowns with absolutely no one within 10 yds of them. If we ran more of a traditional defense where we used a 3rd back more often and cover 1 (which the whole nfl does now in days), we would have a better chance stopping the run and pass. We would give up more big plays, but we would also take away more easy plays. Id rather have a defense that gives up a few big chunk plays because of a WR burning a DB than giving QBs easy passes to drive down the field, then us having to make a red zone stop

Woodman
02-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Gotta hit Gold in this draft.

Oaf
02-11-2023, 08:24 PM
I still believe we shouldve let milano walk
:crazy:

TacklingDummy
02-11-2023, 08:50 PM
See if Dallas is willing to trade CeeDee Lamb and a 2nd for Edmunds and Diggs.

Cali512
02-11-2023, 10:40 PM
:crazy:

When i say this its because i would rather have edmunds and a rookie MLB than resign both. I also think edmunds could do just as well if he had milanos freedom. I think milano is better, but i also think edmunds would be very good at that position

I generally worry that they prioritize edmunds over poyer during the offseason which would be a mistake

YardRat
02-12-2023, 06:20 AM
Big time pass, and Beane should have drafted his replacement last year so we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

Night Train
02-12-2023, 09:31 AM
Let's solve the off-season before it has actually begun. Um...no.

Once some contracts are redone and actual cap space is available, we'll see if some Vets can be brought in prior to the draft.

Off-season has to play out. Rage is still fresh.

Woodman
02-12-2023, 10:30 AM
Let's solve the off-season before it has actually begun. Um...no.

Once some contracts are redone and actual cap space is available, we'll see if some Vets can be brought in prior to the draft.

Off-season has to play out. Rage is still fresh.

Rage on!

notacon
02-12-2023, 11:07 AM
PFF bases their suggestion on their deeply flawed grading system.

They are really good at compiling stats (like bean counters....as we saw with the Bills before the Pegula's took over, and Ralph Wilson had his bean counter from Detroit ****ing up the team for years and years)....as for figuring out how to put together a viable team, and especially how to accomplish a defensive or offensive scheme....they are useless.

Actually, PFF is worse than useless. It’s like making decisions based on Madden Video game or fantasy football baloney.

NFL GM’s and NFL coaches think their grading system is for ****. Mainly because they have no idea what a players responsibilities are for each play (which they say they analyze and grade every single one....of course, the way they do that is for **** too....-2, -1, 0, +1, +2) and they have no idea if a player was did his job or not.

Any NFL HC or NFL GM that listens to PFF to make personal decisions should be fired immediately.

Woodman
02-12-2023, 11:26 AM
Big time pass, and Beane should have drafted his replacement last year so we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

Would have made things a lot easier.

cookie G
02-12-2023, 11:43 AM
Unless he bombs at the Combine and Pro Day...and there in the 2nd..

Jack Campbell LB Iowa. All everything in 2022. Butkus Award, Big 10 Defensive POY, consensus All American.

Do everything LB. Tackles everywhere, mans the middle in coverage. What he lacks in top end speed, he'll make up for by reading the play quicker and knowing how to get there.

It goes something like this (after a trade down or 2):

27. Anton Harrison - OT Oklahoma
62. Jack Campbell LB Iowa.
91. Andrew Vorhees - G USC
139. Joe Tippmann - C Wisconsin
151. Jaylen Reed - WR Michigan St.
171. Sydney Brown - s Illinois
197. Carl Brooks - DT Bowling Green
205. Caleb Murphy - Edge Ferris St.
226. Isaiah Davis - RB South Dakota St.
235. YaYa Diaby - Edge Louisville

Woodman
02-12-2023, 12:07 PM

Jack Campbell LB Iowa. All everything in 2022. Butkus Award, Big 10 Defensive POY, consensus All American.

Do everything LB. Tackles everywhere, mans the middle in coverage. What he lacks in top end speed, he'll make up for by reading the play quicker and knowing how to get there.

Love the YaYa ..... please go the trading down route!

kingJofNYC
02-12-2023, 12:19 PM
He's good, I like him a lot, but you can't give him too much in terms of length. Don't think we can afford him anyway, he's going to have a good market, even with his injury history.

Mace
02-12-2023, 03:21 PM
PFF bases their suggestion on their deeply flawed grading system.

They are really good at compiling stats (like bean counters....as we saw with the Bills before the Pegula's took over, and Ralph Wilson had his bean counter from Detroit ****ing up the team for years and years)....as for figuring out how to put together a viable team, and especially how to accomplish a defensive or offensive scheme....they are useless.

Actually, PFF is worse than useless. It’s like making decisions based on Madden Video game or fantasy football baloney.

NFL GM’s and NFL coaches think their grading system is for ****. Mainly because they have no idea what a players responsibilities are for each play (which they say they analyze and grade every single one....of course, the way they do that is for **** too....-2, -1, 0, +1, +2) and they have no idea if a player was did his job or not.

Any NFL HC or NFL GM that listens to PFF to make personal decisions should be fired immediately.

You are comically incorrect.

As of 2021, PFF provides customized data to all 32 NFL teams, 102 NCAA FBS teams, 7 CFL teams, national/regional media (e.g., The Washington Post (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post), The Athletic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Athletic), ESPN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN)) and sports agencies/agents.[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Focus#cite_note-7)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Focus

Are you familiar with any writers from The Athletic ?

Mace
02-12-2023, 03:42 PM

I'd honestly be fine with Simpson, Sewell, Campbell or even Pappoe. They all have a limitation and strengths a dc could "theoretically" (haha, as if) scheme for, and it's not like we'd have a new weakness in one area or another that wouldn't be offset by more strengths in other areas anyway if the Bills were capable of adjusting a bit.

kingJofNYC
02-12-2023, 03:43 PM

The question is who is doing their grading, we have no idea really because it's a closed box. Heard to get all the CFB/NFL game graded, they're hiring overseas contractors that are cost effective, just like Dell.....LOL

Mace
02-12-2023, 04:53 PM
The question is who is doing their grading, we have no idea really because it's a closed box. Heard to get all the CFB/NFL game graded, they're hiring overseas contractors that are cost effective, just like Dell.....LOL

I'd only be interested if I was paying for their service, which evidently a lot of people are, which means it has some different reputation than the post I replied to asserts rather aggressively.

cookie G
02-12-2023, 05:37 PM
I'd honestly be fine with Simpson, Sewell, Campbell or even Pappoe. They all have a limitation and strengths a dc could "theoretically" (haha, as if) scheme for, and it's not like we'd have a new weakness in one area or another that wouldn't be offset by more strengths in other areas anyway if the Bills were capable of adjusting a bit.

shrugs. Him and Oliver are more easily replaceable than people think. Well..not the hype they come with, because no one can replace that hype.

Mace
02-12-2023, 05:54 PM
shrugs. Him and Oliver are more easily replaceable than people think. Well..not the hype they come with, because no one can replace that hype.

I personally agree, Cookie, you scheme for your talent, you don't try and find talent for your scheme. If we did the former, we'd have something dynamic and hard to face, but we do the latter, and it doesn't look like it will change, despite my opinion. They're all about pretending they have something going other than using what they have going.

They're set in their process and methodology, and aren't adapting or evolving to use the talent they can obtain. They just keep trying to obtain more talent for what hasn't worked figuring a different player will change it here and there.

Imho.

Woodman
02-12-2023, 10:29 PM
I personally agree, Cookie, you scheme for your talent, you don't try and find talent for your scheme. If we did the former, we'd have something dynamic and hard to face, but we do the latter, and it doesn't look like it will change, despite my opinion. They're all about pretending they have something going other than using what they have going.

They're set in their process and methodology, and aren't adapting or evolving to use the talent they can obtain. They just keep trying to obtain more talent for what hasn't worked figuring a different player will change it here and there.

Imho.

exactly what they're doing wrong.

DraftBoy
02-13-2023, 07:25 AM

Would love Campbell. Just not sure where he goes.

If he’s sub 4.6 you’re going to have to trade up for him in Round 1. If he’s 4.6-4.65 you have look at him with our existing Round 1 pick. 4.65-4.7 and you’re maybe ok waiting until our pick in Round 2, but with his instincts I’d be worried he’d go earlier.

kingJofNYC
02-13-2023, 08:47 AM
I'd only be interested if I was paying for their service, which evidently a lot of people are, which means it has some different reputation than the post I replied to asserts rather aggressively.
Right, folks paying for it, no denying that, but they also had mass layoffs and were dumping data guys. Cole got tossed, founder Hornsby left, Eager started his own thing with backing from a Paul Tudor Jones fund, they're coming after PFF. Collinsworth has his son running the joint, and even though Silver Lake brought in a bunch cash for them, they have to go where the money is and they may be pivoting to sports betting and more fantasy football instead of breaking down film for us nerds, or even NFL teams. Pretty interesting times, it's all about the bettors.

cookie G
02-13-2023, 10:04 AM

Imho.

In a large way...they are playing to the talents of their guys, or what should have been their talents, at least for the 2 biggest disappointments on defense.

Oliver was drafted because of a wicked quickness off the snap and ability to get in the backfield. That's why he plays at 3 tech...shaded off the shoulder of the guard, or in a guard/tackle gap. This is why he was taken at number 10 in 2019. He should be hell to block in nearly every game.

He will look dominant for 3 or 4 games per year, usually against inferior competition. But based on his talent level, he should be talked about in the Chris Jones' and the Jeffery Simmons of the NFL. He's not. And worse, Chris Jones was taken in the 3rd round a few years before Oliver...and Simmons was taken after Oliver in 2019.

Edmunds...sigh. The combination of size, length and speed is perfect for him to be in the middle where his range and strength can be used to at its best. Its why they used a midround first AND a third to draft him. I really thought he made some improvement this year...but watching the Cover1 of the Cinci game and watching him in coverage...made my heart sink.

cookie G
02-13-2023, 10:06 AM
Would love Campbell. Just not sure where he goes.

If he’s sub 4.6 you’re going to have to trade up for him in Round 1. If he’s 4.6-4.65 you have look at him with our existing Round 1 pick. 4.65-4.7 and you’re maybe ok waiting until our pick in Round 2, but with his instincts I’d be worried he’d go earlier.

I doubt he's there either in the 2nd. But he was in the sim I used. And in that mock, I suspected there would be some quality IOL at the bottom of the third.

Oline is more of a priority. If he's there, great

kgun12
02-13-2023, 10:16 AM
Did anyone else hear Olsen last night. They were talking about how they traded Hill and revamped their entire offense to fit the personnel they had this year.

Woodman
02-13-2023, 11:50 AM
Did anyone else hear Olsen last night. They were talking about how they traded Hill and revamped their entire offense to fit the personnel they had this year.

That's what winners do.

Never gonna get a round into a square and you better be smart enough to know that before you draft .... if you're gonna draft them you gotta know how to exploit their talents or drafting them is useless.

Mr. Pink
02-13-2023, 01:06 PM
We tried a damaged goods OL this past offseason and that was a failure, can we not make the same mistake at LB?

Yes Edmunds needs to be replaced, but lets not do it with a guy who has injury baggage.

If that's the replacement, I'd rather keep Edmunds and you all know how I feel about him

notacon
02-13-2023, 01:36 PM

:rofl: Nope. I’m spot on. The grading system PFF uses is deeply, deeply flawed. No professional NFL GM or coach give it any credibility and would be idiots deserving to be fired if they used it to make personnel decisions.

They have their own ACCURATE grading system, that takes into consideration the EXACT play being called, and the responsibilities each player has for that call.

Bill Belichick admits his limitations studying film, challenges accuracy of PFF (https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/19/bill-belichick-admits-his-limitations-studying-film-challenges-accuracy-of-pro-football-focus/)

Don’t judge a player’s game film without his playbook.

Bill Belichick admitted that when he’s studying the film of an opponent, even he has limitations in knowing what each player was and was not supposed to do on any given play. During games, Belichick may not even know the correct responsibilities for his own players, because they could change their coverage before the snap.

That’s why fans and media members have to be careful about growing reliant upon scouting services like Pro Football Focus. It’s fair to surmise they know a little less than Belichick.

“You see a play on film and a receiver goes uncovered down the field. So you know it’s probably one of two guys’ mistakes, so you don’t know which guy it is,” Belichick said on “Ordway, Merloni and Fauria” on Monday during his weekly interview with WEEI (https://www.patriots.com/audio/bill-belichick-on-weei-11-19-we-ve-been-good-at-times). “A lot of times the announcer will say, ‘[This guy] should’ve taken him,’ or, ‘[That guy] should have taken him.’ And I’m looking at the play saying, it could have been either guy, depending on what the call was.”

Belichick admitted sometimes his players will correct him, because he will approach the player with a teaching point only to learn there’s another player at fault because of an adjustment at the line of scrimmage.

“In terms of analytics, you get a lot of, ‘This guy should have him. That guy should have him.’ I know from our team, there are times when we don’t know exactly what went wrong until we sort out the play,” Belichick said on WEEI. “So it’s impossible someone else could have known. Sometimes what it looks like is not what it is.”

The people that are “comically incorrect” are the ones that value PFF’s grading system as anything more than for entertainment value. Just like Madden video game and fantasy football leagues.

notacon
02-13-2023, 01:59 PM

They say they have a large group of “analysts” that are described as (https://www.pff.com/grades) ....

WHO IS DOING THE GRADING?

PFF employs over 600 full or part-time analysts, but less than 10% of analysts are trained to the level that they can grade plays. Only the top two to three percent of analysts are on the team of “senior analysts” in charge of finalizing each grade after review. Our graders have been training for months, and sometimes years, in order to learn, understand and show mastery of our process that includes our 300-page training manual and video playbook. We have analysts from all walks of life, including former players, coaches and scouts. We don’t care if you played.

The grades for every game come out within about 24 hours after the game ends.

And they are supposed to watch every single play and grade every singe player (22 in all) for every single play???? And grade it accurately??? When only 10% (60) so called “senior analysts” “finalize each grade after review”?!!??

There are about 154 plays in each NFL game. 22 players on the field for each play. Simple math tells you that 3,388 different grades have to be assigned....for each game....or 54,208 for a usual 16 game week.

And that is supposed to be valuable? Uhhhhhh....any idiot can figure out that this is not in any way, shape or form, an accurate or thoughtful process to evaluate every player for every single snap.

Yeah....if you believe their grading system is valuable, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :rofl:

The main reason PFF was started if from a guy in the UK who wanted to create a service to sell to fantasy football fans and those that want to bet on games.

It’s entertainment.

No NFL GM or NFL coach would pay any attention or give any value to PFF grades. If they did, they should not be in the game, and should be fired immediately.

Saratoga Slim
02-13-2023, 02:08 PM

Wasn't that the Terrell Bernard plan? I sure hope it was, cause otherwise we drafted a 3rd rounder to back up Milano.

sukie
02-13-2023, 02:22 PM
PFF has Edmunds graded out as 11 best linebacker in 2022.

a fine showing. He has improved his coverage skills and is listed as 4th best LB Free Agent.

they are hacks. Relying on computers is stoopid for grading players.

Mace
02-13-2023, 04:45 PM
:rofl: Nope. I’m spot on. The grading system PFF uses is deeply, deeply flawed. No professional NFL GM or coach give it any credibility and would be idiots deserving to be fired if they used it to make personnel decisions.

They have their own ACCURATE grading system, that takes into consideration the EXACT play being called, and the responsibilities each player has for that call.

The people that are “comically incorrect” are the ones that value PFF’s grading system as anything more than for entertainment value. Just like Madden video game and fantasy football leagues.

Lmao, you can't even admit to being wrong and your logic isn't there.

To repeat in case you missed it, all NFL teams pay PFF for a customized package of analytics. Every one of them which all have gm's and coaches. NFL quality gm's and coaches.

So....you are attempting to assert the teams are spending money on this for fun ? Your Joe B. works for the Athletic, that spends money on this service, for the analytics, they do this for fun ?

The significant point is that the experts, which you're always crowing about, ALL pay PFF to use their analytics. Are you now claiming you know more than they do ? Why yes you are.

Too funny.

YardRat
02-13-2023, 04:58 PM
Wasn't that the Terrell Bernard plan? I sure hope it was, cause otherwise we drafted a 3rd rounder to back up Milano.

Pretty sure he's the back-up/maybe eventual replacement for Milano.

Mace
02-13-2023, 04:59 PM
In a large way...they are playing to the talents of their guys, or what should have been their talents, at least for the 2 biggest disappointments on defense.

Oliver was drafted because of a wicked quickness off the snap and ability to get in the backfield. That's why he plays at 3 tech...shaded off the shoulder of the guard, or in a guard/tackle gap. This is why he was taken at number 10 in 2019. He should be hell to block in nearly every game.

He will look dominant for 3 or 4 games per year, usually against inferior competition. But based on his talent level, he should be talked about in the Chris Jones' and the Jeffery Simmons of the NFL. He's not. And worse, Chris Jones was taken in the 3rd round a few years before Oliver...and Simmons was taken after Oliver in 2019.

Edmunds...sigh. The combination of size, length and speed is perfect for him to be in the middle where his range and strength can be used to at its best. Its why they used a midround first AND a third to draft him. I really thought he made some improvement this year...but watching the Cover1 of the Cinci game and watching him in coverage...made my heart sink.

I agree about Oliver, can't agree about Edmunds. In their scheme they have him covering a gap, manning a zone in pass coverage, and being the reaction force to breakdowns, because of his athleticism. They're expecting too much, and I think that contributes greatly to his hesitation and lack of decisive commitment to a play. You will not see him lined up in different places to take advantage of his athleticism, with options to use it in a focused manner.

It's a given they will not find an athlete like him as a replacement, which means something will suffer if they don't adjust the scheme.

He did have a good year, as he did in his first, the common denominators being a better dl and a relative wildcard (as a rookie he still had Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander, this past year Daquan Jones beefed up the middle, helping Oliver, and they had Von Miller).

Any replacement will not be able to care for a gap, a zone, and react to breakdowns all at once. They could have maximized Edmunds, but they used him as a default.

Mace
02-13-2023, 05:08 PM
Right, folks paying for it, no denying that, but they also had mass layoffs and were dumping data guys. Cole got tossed, founder Hornsby left, Eager started his own thing with backing from a Paul Tudor Jones fund, they're coming after PFF. Collinsworth has his son running the joint, and even though Silver Lake brought in a bunch cash for them, they have to go where the money is and they may be pivoting to sports betting and more fantasy football instead of breaking down film for us nerds, or even NFL teams. Pretty interesting times, it's all about the bettors.

I really don't know where they go, we'll find out in the long run, it will be interesting.

What I'd figure about the NFL...teams have their own analytics departments. I'd suspect it's a source of raw data they can use to refine and examine points of interest, atm.

Personally, I find some of their analytics interesting, and some to me seem circumstantial and overly dependent on too many factors, which means you have to analyze the analytics that made the analytics and that's too much for me. I think the teams would use the baseline data as a starting point.

Mace
02-13-2023, 05:16 PM
Pretty sure he's the back-up/maybe eventual replacement for Milano.

I almost think he was meant to replace Matakevich on ST with the vague possibility of being a functional backup LB. Not sure Spector isn't a better bet.

notacon
02-14-2023, 12:01 PM
Lmao, you can't even admit to being wrong and your logic isn't there.

To repeat in case you missed it, all NFL teams pay PFF for a customized package of analytics. Every one of them which all have gm's and coaches. NFL quality gm's and coaches.

So....you are attempting to assert the teams are spending money on this for fun ? Your Joe B. works for the Athletic, that spends money on this service, for the analytics, they do this for fun ?

The significant point is that the experts, which you're always crowing about, ALL pay PFF to use their analytics. Are you now claiming you know more than they do ? Why yes you are.

Too funny.

I have nothing to admit I’m “wrong” about. You do.

“Analytics” (which is just anther word for advanced stats) has nothing to do with their grading system. Nothing.

I have said many, many time, PFF is very good at compiling stats and “advanced analytics”. Their GRADING system is what is deeply flawed.

If you cannot tell the difference between compiling stats and grading players on each and every play with less than 24 hours.....THAT is “too funny”.

Woodman
02-14-2023, 12:04 PM
I almost think he was meant to replace Matakevich on ST with the vague possibility of being a functional backup LB. Not sure Spector isn't a better bet.
The little we've seen so far of Spector I like.

YardRat
02-14-2023, 05:21 PM
Statistics ("stats", advanced or not) and analytics are not the same thing.

Mace
02-14-2023, 05:23 PM
I have nothing to admit I’m “wrong” about. You do.

“Analytics” (which is just anther word for advanced stats) has nothing to do with their grading system. Nothing.

I have said many, many time, PFF is very good at compiling stats and “advanced analytics”. Their GRADING system is what is deeply flawed.

If you cannot tell the difference between compiling stats and grading players on each and every play with less than 24 hours.....THAT is “too funny”.

NFL organizations aren't staffed by experts ? Asked you some questions there lil buckaroo. Let us get more comical, why are the teams and the Athletic paying them for customized packages ?

kgun12
02-14-2023, 06:49 PM
NFL organizations aren't staffed by experts ? Asked you some questions there lil buckaroo. Let us get more comical, why are the teams and the Athletic paying them for customized packages ?

Joe B. Is a talking head for the Bills, just spews his crap through the Atlantic.

DraftBoy
02-15-2023, 07:24 AM

I can answer for the media angle.

PFF presents an easy to digest product with its grading system that dumbs down the concept of who is playing well or poorly. The accuracy of that system is an entirely different debate, but the content that can be created via the media from simply having a grading system is a useful tool that is worth being paid for.

I never really used the PFF grading system when I was writing years ago, but I had colleagues who did and it was good content that was created from it.

EDS
02-15-2023, 09:38 AM
The little we've seen so far of Spector I like.

Spector played what, 12 defensive snaps all season? He may end up being a very good linebacker but it is really hard to judge how he will turn out in the end given such limited information/experience.

notacon
02-15-2023, 11:06 AM

Are you really this thick, or just acting like you are???

Teams are paying them for STATISTICS!!! Basically....counting and measuring. They are NOT paying them for subjective grading.

All “advanced analytics” are is detailed STATS. Much of it the result of recent technology where RFID chips are employed on the ball and players equipment to give detailed DATA. STATS.

The method by which PFF GRADES players is SUBJECTIVE and not very consistent and almost totally USELESS to NFL professionals.

notacon
02-15-2023, 11:14 AM
I can answer for the media angle.

PFF presents an easy to digest product with its grading system that dumbs down the concept of who is playing well or poorly. The accuracy of that system is an entirely different debate, but the content that can be created via the media from simply having a grading system is a useful tool that is worth being paid for.

I never really used the PFF grading system when I was writing years ago, but I had colleagues who did and it was good content that was created from it.
PFF grading is for entertainment purposes. It was originally started by a UK sports fan to aid betting and fantasy football enthtisuats. The only reason it gets attention on Sunday Night Football broadcasts is because Cris Collinsworth bought the company and is the present majority owner.

When they present to lineups, with players video saying their own names, it has the PFF grade. Every time I see it it makes me laugh out loud on how incredibly stupid the majority are.

NO PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL GM or NFL COACH TAKES THEIR GRADING SERIOUSLY OR USE IT FOR ANY PLAYER EVALUATION!!!!

Woodman
02-15-2023, 11:24 AM
Spector played what, 12 defensive snaps all season? He may end up being a very good linebacker but it is really hard to judge how he will turn out in the end given such limited information/experience.
I liked what I saw during the pre-season games he got the chance to play in.

Future star :idunno:

Nose for the ball ....... A B S O L U T E L Y !