PDA

View Full Version : Depressing Super Bowl

Bill Cody
02-14-2023, 09:29 AM
I'm usually one of the optimists around here but I admit to being kind of bummed after that game.

Before the game I said I was rooting for the Eagles. It was partly because I hate the Chiefs but partly because the game was so pivotal for Mahomes and Reid. The win substantially elevates both of them. Mahomes now can see a path to one day surpassing Brady. Don't think for a second that isn't on his mind. At 27 he now has 2 SB wins and has been to 3. And Reid now has a path to potentially pass Bellichick, at least for total wins. He's 4 years younger than Bellichick. This may spur him to coach longer.

Mahomes has all the competitiveness of Brady with more talent. The Chiefs lost one of their best weapons this year losing Hill to the fins and still won it all. And you look at those 2 walk in TD's at the goal line, all the credit there goes to coaching.

Yes Brady and Bellichick should see that duo as a threat. Brady is done and Bellichick seems to be losing his fastball. Most coaches in the league if they made the kind of brain dead decisions BB made last year handing Mac Jones to Matt Patricia and Joe Judge would be fired. And in a league where offense rules, Bellichick is a defensive coach.

Like McDermott. Make no mistake that's a disadvantage in today's NFL. And it's an advantage for the Chiefs.

Don't get me wrong I'm not in the all is lost camp. Not even close. We have our own great QB. And the Bills are going to be in the mix as long as Josh stays healthy. But that Super Bowl just made things harder not easier. Which was the biggest reason I was wearing green sweats and a great shirt on Sunday.

Woodman
02-14-2023, 09:41 AM
Don't worry KC will soon fall by the wayside.

Novacane
02-14-2023, 10:15 AM
It's football. I won't allow that to depress me.

Woodman
02-14-2023, 10:33 AM

:cheers: Agree ...... frustrated when we lose but that's about it.

Bill Cody
02-14-2023, 11:16 AM

Agree. Figure of speech

notacon
02-14-2023, 01:45 PM
I’m not depressed at all. Even as a figure of speech. What I don’t understand is this....

“Don't get me wrong I'm not in the all is lost camp. Not even close. We have our own great QB. And the Bills are going to be in the mix as long as Josh stays healthy. But that Super Bowl just made things harder not easier. Which was the biggest reason I was wearing green sweats and a great shirt on Sunday.”

If we have seen anything in today’s NFL, is that it stand for Not For Long.

Just because Mahomes won his second (ref aided) Super Bowl does not mean it makes it any more likely he will win another one anytime soon.

I strongly suspect that we are not going to see another seven SB ring QB. Tom Brady was an anomaly, and the game, and the quality of QB’s, has changed considerably over the past 22 years. There is a reason why there has not been a repeat SB winning team since 2004.

There are just too many quality QB’s that are multi-faceted threats, with more coming down the line. Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Hurts, Jackson, Fields all embody the new era of NFL QB’s.

Besides the fact that the cap and free agency and the explosion in player contacts, has massively changed the game.

In 2000, the year that Tom Brady was drafted, the total team cap was $62.17M.....inflation adjusted in 2022 dollars is $108M. TODAY, there is ONE QB, whose APY contract is just under 50% of the WHOLE 2000 cap....Aaron Rodgers, $50.2M APY.

Burrow is about to join that $50M club.

The plethora of dollars has changed the game as has the quality of players in most positions, especially offense skill positions. WR’s hitting $30M....and Edge rushers $28M....LT $23M....and on and on and on.

Hell, even the place kickers quality has exponentially improved. The Bills dismal “wide right” missed FG was only 47 yards. That was the outside of Norwood’s (and most NFL kickers) FG range.

Today, 47 yard FG is almost considered a chip shot.

In the history of the NFL, there have been 31 FG's of 60 yards or longer. Only four before the year 2000. That’s 27 or 87% have been since Brady was drafted.

EIGHT, or 25% of the total 60+ yard FG have come within the past two seasons.

Yeah...the game has changed and Mahomes is going to battle for every step he takes closer to Brady’s records. I’d be surprised if his career ends up moving into #2 with five SB wins.

I will not be surprised if Josh Allen gets more than 2...placing him among the greats in the game. This is why the games and seasons have to be played. And why NFL football is, by far, the best professional sport in the world.

Mahomes getting his second SB as a motivation to try and catch Brady, is just as much, if not MORE of a motivation for Josh Allen to elevate his game, cut down the boneheaded mistakes, and win some titles too.

Woodman
02-14-2023, 01:52 PM
I will not be surprised if Josh Allen gets more than 2...placing him among the greats in the game. This is why the games and seasons have to be played. And why NFL football is, by far, the best professional sport in the world.

Mahomes getting his second SB as a motivation to try and catch Brady, is just as much, if not MORE of a motivation for Josh Allen to elevate his game, cut down the boneheaded mistakes, and win some titles too.

I would certainly hope so.

Bill Cody
02-14-2023, 02:27 PM
I’m not depressed at all. Even as a figure of speech. What I don’t understand is this....

“Don't get me wrong I'm not in the all is lost camp. Not even close. We have our own great QB. And the Bills are going to be in the mix as long as Josh stays healthy. But that Super Bowl just made things harder not easier. Which was the biggest reason I was wearing green sweats and a great shirt on Sunday.”

If we have seen anything in today’s NFL, is that it stand for Not For Long.

Just because Mahomes won his second (ref aided) Super Bowl does not mean it makes it any more likely he will win another one anytime soon.

I strongly suspect that we are not going to see another seven SB ring QB. Tom Brady was an anomaly, and the game, and the quality of QB’s, has changed considerably over the past 22 years. There is a reason why there has not been a repeat SB winning team since 2004.

There are just too many quality QB’s that are multi-faceted threats, with more coming down the line. Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Hurts, Jackson, Fields all embody the new era of NFL QB’s.

Besides the fact that the cap and free agency and the explosion in player contacts, has massively changed the game.

In 2000, the year that Tom Brady was drafted, the total team cap was $62.17M.....inflation adjusted in 2022 dollars is $108M. TODAY, there is ONE QB, whose APY contract is just under 50% of the WHOLE 2000 cap....Aaron Rodgers, $50.2M APY.

Burrow is about to join that $50M club.

The plethora of dollars has changed the game as has the quality of players in most positions, especially offense skill positions. WR’s hitting $30M....and Edge rushers $28M....LT $23M....and on and on and on.

Hell, even the place kickers quality has exponentially improved. The Bills dismal “wide right” missed FG was only 47 yards. That was the outside of Norwood’s (and most NFL kickers) FG range.

Today, 47 yard FG is almost considered a chip shot.

In the history of the NFL, there have been 31 FG's of 60 yards or longer. Only four before the year 2000. That’s 27 or 87% have been since Brady was drafted.

EIGHT, or 25% of the total 60+ yard FG have come within the past two seasons.

Yeah...the game has changed and Mahomes is going to battle for every step he takes closer to Brady’s records. I’d be surprised if his career ends up moving into #2 with five SB wins.

All I'm saying is I think losing Super Bowls is hard on the losing team, hardest of all on the coach and QB. Look at the Bills of the 90's. We came so so close the 1st time. But lost. After that we were not competitive in the other games, it kept getting worse. Coincidence?

If Mahomes was now 1-2 in SB's after going to 5 straight AFCCG's and Reed 1-3 in SB's it might impact their level of self belief some. Winning a SB on the other hand is exhilarating beyond measure. And with certain ultra competitive athletes it can really spur them on to further greatness. That's what separates the good the great and the all time great- the ability to elevate to the big moment. All athletes feel pressure. But SB pressure is a different level. And repeated failure in the big game takes its toll. IMO if Norwood's kick is good the Bills might have won another, certainly would not have been as terrible as we were in the following big games. Same with Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings. Even Marino- I wonder if his career might have been different if he had beaten Montana in his one visit to the big game. It's not all about the QB but the QB has to be great to win a SB most of the time.

As for Josh, 100% agree. He has every opportunity to improve and lead his team to a SB victory, maybe more than 1. I just think the Chiefs smell dynasty right now and if they had lost they wouldn't be.

notacon
02-14-2023, 02:41 PM
All I'm saying is I think losing Super Bowls is hard on the losing team, hardest of all on the coach and QB. Look at the Bills of the 90's. We came so so close the 1st time. But lost. After that we were not competitive in the other games, it kept getting worse. Coincidence?

If Mahomes was now 1-2 in SB's after going to 5 straight AFCCG's and Reed 1-3 in SB's it might impact their level of self belief some. Winning a SB on the other hand is exhilarating beyond measure. And with certain ultra competitive athletes it can really spur them on to further greatness. That's what separates the good the great and the all time great- the ability to elevate to the big moment. All athletes feel pressure. But SB pressure is a different level. And repeated failure in the big game takes its toll. IMO if Norwood's kick is good the Bills might have won another, certainly would not have been as terrible as we were in the following big games. Same with Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings. Even Marino- I wonder if his career might have been different if he had beaten Montana in his one visit to the big game. It's not all about the QB but the QB has to be great to win a SB most of the time.

As for Josh, 100% agree. He has every opportunity to improve and lead his team to a SB victory, maybe more than 1. I just think the Chiefs smell dynasty right now and if they had lost they wouldn't be.

I get what you are trying to say. And I am not necessarily challenging your premise.

The Bills going to, and losing, four straight Super Bowls was before the kind of reality we are seeing today in the NFL. That achievement (winning four straight Conference championships) may never be seen again. That was during the time before the multi-faceted QB. And especially before the cap. Don’t forget, the cap did not start until 1994.

The rookie contract structure and wage scale did not start until the NFL-NFLPA collective bargaining agreement until 2011. That REALLY changed the game in massive ways.

But, WINNING the Super Bowl is also “hard on” the winning team as well. Hence the fairly accurate moniker of “Super Bowl Hangover”.

The Chiefs’ may "smell dynasty right now” but that is a lot harder to achieve than to smell.

Everything the NFL has done, EVERYTHING, especially the past 10+ years is to PREVENT any “dynasties”. They have ben extremely successful in achieving their goal, and KC is not going to change that reality.

Bill Cody
02-14-2023, 03:51 PM
I get what you are trying to say. And I am not necessarily challenging your premise.

The Bills going to, and losing, four straight Super Bowls was before the kind of reality we are seeing today in the NFL. That achievement (winning four straight Conference championships) may never be seen again. That was during the time before the multi-faceted QB. And especially before the cap. Don’t forget, the cap did not start until 1994.

The rookie contract structure and wage scale did not start until the NFL-NFLPA collective bargaining agreement until 2011. That REALLY changed the game in massive ways.

But, WINNING the Super Bowl is also “hard on” the winning team as well. Hence the fairly accurate moniker of “Super Bowl Hangover”.

The Chiefs’ may "smell dynasty right now” but that is a lot harder to achieve than to smell.

Everything the NFL has done, EVERYTHING, especially the past 10+ years is to PREVENT any “dynasties”. They have ben extremely successful in achieving their goal, and KC is not going to change that reality.

I just look at the Patriots. That's what the Chiefs are trying to be. 20 years of dominance. Maybe not possible but I'm just saying I would have felt better if the Eagles had won

Novacane
02-14-2023, 03:57 PM
I'm starting to feel like the Reid and Mahomes combo is so good that it doesn't make sense to try and build a defense to stop them. They're gonna score no matter what you do. Hope you hold them to field goals instead of TD's a couple times in the game then hope to force a couple punts. Then build an offense that will put up 35. That's the way we're going to have to beat them.

YardRat
02-14-2023, 04:46 PM
KC is the new New England, everybody should know that from the officiating in the AFCCG and the Super Bowl. I'm starting to get bad Marino vibes about Allen.

Night Train
02-14-2023, 05:23 PM
As long as we have a healthy Allen, we have a good shot. I saw him beat Mahomes twice and was robbed of a 3rd. He's not the issue at all. We waited 30 years for a gift like him.

He just needs more guys to take less shots and better calls by Dorsey.

The supporting cast needs work, in general. Plus the schemes must be shifted and improved. That's up to Beane to get that across.

Oaf
02-14-2023, 05:53 PM
As long as we have a healthy Allen, we have a good shot. I saw him beat Mahomes twice and was robbed of a 3rd. He's not the issue at all. We waited 30 years for a gift like him.
He just needs more guys to take less shots and better calls by Dorsey.

The supporting cast needs work, in general. Plus the schemes must be shifted and improved. That's up to Beane to get that across.

Yah

Also, I hear ya Bill.

kgun12
02-14-2023, 06:45 PM
KC is the new New England, everybody should know that from the officiating in the AFCCG and the Super Bowl. I'm starting to get bad Marino vibes about Allen.

Me too, but maybe for different reasons. The Marino Dolphins were always able to pass the ball and didn’t need a run game, UNTIL the playoffs and teams knew all the had to do was stop the passing game. I think both Daboll and Dorsey are doing the same thing.
The other problem this team as is, is soft in the middle and we can’t stop the run or the passing game in the middle of the field and if there is a speedy WR they can beat our DB’s and safeties.

Bill Cody
02-15-2023, 09:31 AM
Going into the game my feeling was the key matchup was the Eagles D line against the Chiefs O line. The Eagles had arguably the best defensive front in the NFL and they had depth enough to keep everyone fresh. It didn't matter. The KC O line won that matchup handily. And they ran the ball effectively. Mahomes was hardly pressured all day and that was huge because he had a bad wheel. That was how Tampa beat Mahomes, they got after him. If Mahomes can't be pressured by the best D line in the league it's a terrible sign for the rest of the league.

Looking back losing Von Miller basically ended our season. No guarantee he would have made all the difference but when he was healthy our D line got pressure consistently. You look at that Cincy game and Burrow was in a rocking chair back there. Pitch and catch all day. If you can't pressure elite QB's you cannot stop them.

Woodman
02-15-2023, 09:36 AM
Mahomes was hardly pressured all day and that was huge because he had a bad wheel. That was how Tampa beat Mahomes, they got after him.

With the defense Philly has and considering the bad wheel I would have thrown the kitchen sink at him a bunch.

He passed for 182 yards I believe as it was.

Gotta create turnovers.

Oaf
02-15-2023, 11:11 AM
If you can't pressure elite QB's you cannot stop them.
What's interesting is that you're saying that even the best D can't affect the passing game of elite offenses, correct?

This would imply that overinvesting resources in passing defense is suboptimal, since it doesn't matter vs KC. More likely we should build the best OL in football.

So glad BB took Basham over Humphery.

notacon
02-15-2023, 12:03 PM
I just look at the Patriots. That's what the Chiefs are trying to be. 20 years of dominance. Maybe not possible but I'm just saying I would have felt better if the Eagles had won

Yeah....I know they are trying to be the Patriots.

That is NOT going to happen. And I gave my opinions on why.

I wanted the Eagles to win too. And it has echos of the Pats and Brady getting favorable treatment by the refs for KC to win.

The likelihood of a team dominating for 20 years in todays NFL is between slim and none.

Bill Cody
02-15-2023, 01:54 PM
Yeah....I know they are trying to be the Patriots.

That is NOT going to happen. And I gave my opinions on why.

I wanted the Eagles to win too. And it has echos of the Pats and Brady getting favorable treatment by the refs for KC to win.

The likelihood of a team dominating for 20 years in todays NFL is between slim and none.

As long as Mahomes and Reed are there they are going to be a force. What the Patriots did they did in the free agent era so KC has the same opportunity. The chances are more than slim and certainly not none. If they manage the cap well they will open every season as a contender. Just as I expect Buffalo will with josh.

Woodman
02-17-2023, 02:55 PM
https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-eric-bieniemy-offensive-coordinator

Eric Bieniemy might be leaving Kansas City on top.

Just days after celebrating his second Super Bowl triumph, the longtime Chiefs offensive coordinator is working toward a deal to become the new OC in Washington, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday, per a source.

There's mutual interest as both sides work through specifics, according to Rapoport, but with Bieniemy as the Commanders' top choice, the hiring should be made official on Friday if all goes well.